Posting a custom Gwent puzzle from time to time

+
You write that you read it again and again, yet you still don't seem to understand.

but The countdown in gwent always happens in The turns end.
That's because currently all countdown abilities in gwent are "on turn end". When in early HC Ciri Dash would draw a card on turn start (instead turn end as she does now), her timer wouldn't go down on the same turn as you played her, but at the start of your next turn.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Glad at least someone is reusing Gwent beta and Thronebreaker's awesome cardwork that has been gathering (virtual) dust for years :shrug:

Awesome work, OP, and best of luck to the contestants (or in this case, best of logical thinking :ohstopit:)

rrc

Forum veteran
@betraymechino Thank you for the new puzzle. I will send you a friend request to get a gift pack from you. Even otherwise, adding you as a friend is an honor!

BTW, why did you set the difficulty of the new puzzle to Death March? :p This seems super complex and hard and I love it. I will try to solve it over the weekend.
Post automatically merged:

The Good Ladies​

View attachment 11246221

Your goal is to defeat the Ladies of the Wood​
View attachment 11246227

while not letting these cute Nekkers die.​
View attachment 11246230

To achieve that, you have these cards in your hand.​
View attachment 11246233

It's also good to keep your eyes on your graveyard​
View attachment 11246236

and opponent's graveyard as well.​
View attachment 11246239

And this is how the board looks at the start of your first turn.​
View attachment 11246242

A few notes to clarify some potential misconceptions:
- Brewess is boosted by 2 because she already consumed one Sabbath Volunteer at the end of AI's first turn (hence only 4 Sabbath Volunteers in graveyard, instead 5).
- Whispess can target herself if she's the lowest unit on her side.
- Rabid Nekkers' Deathblow works "once per Order". That means if you remove 2 units on a row with one Order, damage will increase only by 2.
- At some point you might think you need RNG to successfully progress further. That means you made a mistake somewhere along the way. The correct solution doesn't require any RNG.

Hope you'll enjoy, good luck!
Next puzzle will arrive on Tuesday, August 31st, around 4PM CEST.
Cheers
Here is my solution:

Our Turn 1 : Feeding Ground and don't do anything else.
Enemy Turn : Whispess - No op; Brewess - summons Lost Wanderers; Weavess - No op;
Our Turn 2 : Use Rabid Nekkers' Order on Melee; then Repast on Roaming Nekkers; At the end: Roaming 3 strength, Feasting 2 strength (from Rabid's order), Rabid 2 strenght (from Roaming's ability) and 4 damage
Enemy Turn : Whispess - Repast and boosts herself to 7 strength; Brewess works hard for us and brings a lost wanderers for our Rabid; Weavess - No Op;
Our Trun 3 : Use Rabid Nekkers' Order on Melee; then Repast on Roaming Nekkers; At the end: Roaming 5 strength, Feasting 3 strength (from Rabid's order), Rabid 3 strenght (from Roaming's ability) and 6 damage
Enemy Turn : Whispess - No op; Brewess - summons Lost Wanderers; Weavess - No op;
Our Turn 4 : Use Rabid Nekkers' Order on Melee; then Repast on Roaming Nekkers; At the end: Roaming 7 strength, Feasting 4 strength (from Rabid's order), Rabid 4 strength (from Roaming's ability) and 8 damage
Enemy Turn : Whispess - Repast and set Brewess to 8 strength; Brewess - summons Lost Wanderers; Weavess - No Op; (Whispess at 7, Brewess at 8, Weavess at 7)
Our Turn 5 : Rabid Nekkers' Order on Ranged row killing all Crones in one shot. When this order ability is done all crones are dead and Weaves's ability wont be triggered as she is very much dead too. All crone's Deathwish trigger and Rabid ends up with 4 strength, Feasting and Rabit ends up with 1 power nervously checking their body for any missing parts and are happy that they are all in one piece. They rescue the poor Lost Wanderer and take him out of this death trap only to cook him according to their receipe and lived happily every after.

Irrespective of weather my solution is right or wrong, I want to say this puzzle is unbelievably awesome. The prologue, the abilities, mentioning the illustrators, the title (The Crones of Crookbag Bog; The Good Ladies) and Nekker Hoards being Always Hungry.. soo much creativity and attention to details.. Too good!! Eagerly waiting for the next puzzle!

Last edited:

rrc

Forum veteran
Another week passes, so time for a winner. Congrats @EduFerraz! Please send me PM with your GOG username.
Well done @rrc, your solution is also correct and the description was pretty interesting XD

Since I haven’t decided yet which puzzle to post next, there’s no preview :)
Congratulations @EduFerraz!! Thanks again for the awesome puzzle @betraymechino!

startingscreen.png
Upcoming puzzle. Though still haven't decided if it's the next one :)

thank you @betraymechino. It was really fun completing this puzzle.

Also thanks to @rrc for the congratulations.

Betray, my nickname its EduFerraz. But i dont whant nothing as prize, for me, completing your puzzle its the prize.

But it will a apleasure be your friend.

Also, your next puzzle i will try to resolve but i will send you a MP, for let other users try to resolve it too

Hi there!
New day, new puzzle!

As usual, I'm offering a reward for the first person to post the correct walkthrough.
For more details read the rules.
1. Who is the organizer?
I am. CD PROJEKT RED is in no way involved in the creation of the puzzles nor providing the reward. The bundle will be bought with meteorite powder from my own resources.

2. Who can participate?
Any user of forums.cdprojektred.com

3. How to participate?
List in a correct way how provided cards and abilities need to be played in order to solve the puzzle.

4. What is the contest period?
Answers can be posted within 7 days from the moment of posting the task.

5. How will winners be chosen?
The first person to post a correct walkthrough of the puzzle will be the winner.
If nobody posts a correct answer within the contest period the reward is forfeited.

6. What is the prize?
A cosmetic GWENT bundle purchasable with Meteorite Powder, selected by the winner.

7. How to redeem the prize?
Winner will be selected within 14 days from the moment of posting the task.
Winner will be required to send me a PM with their GWENT username and the name of the bundle they like. They will have to accept my friend invite in order to receive the prize. If the winner will not do any of the above, the reward is forfeited.
Prize will be given within 7 days from the moment of accepting the invite.

Today's puzzle is

Green Hell
startingscreen.png

Your goal is to lead Lost Scout to the safety of the Shelter
playercardsboard.png

while not letting the Lost Scout get caught by the dryads.​
opponentcardsboard.png

To do so, you might want to use these cards
playercardshand.png

and your leader ability. This is also the board at the start of your first turn
startingboard.png

And that's about it.
Hope you'll enjoy, good luck!
Next puzzle will arrive on Tuesday, September 14th, around 4PM CEST.
Cheers

also, young dryad shouldnt be with the countdonw at 1?

Or, the board its in tthe exact time betwen enemy pass and your turn begin?

ah, nvm my last question, i realyze she is at my board

another question, because some interactions in gwent - speacily movement - are weird.

Misdirection - if lost scout its in the last row and he didnt go up, he still been boost? I ask it because all the SC witchers with movement does they other passive skill even if they dont move

i sent to you my answer in MP, like i said in my last post

Last edited:
Misdirection, then order ability.
Doubt.
Adrenaline on scout and sirssa, then order ability
Adrenaline on scout and sirssa, then order ability

Week has passed and unfortunately there was no correct solution posted.

@jed9653 Misidirection is "Move Lost Scout one row up, then boost it by 3", if you played it in the first turn, Lost Scout had no row to move up, so the boost wasn't applied.

rrc

Forum veteran
Ooh.. dammit.. I didn't want to try as I also thought that I should give chance to others as I had won once. I will try the next one definitely. Please keep them coming!

DRK3

Forum veteran
I really hope more players participate in these challenges, as i can witness the amount of effort put into them.

And i know there's a demand for them - i've seen many players requesting this type of content for the past couple of years, whether its a new Thronebreaker or a new challenge event like they existed in betas with this sort of puzzles, so they just need to be redirectioned to this thread.

And i know there's a demand for them

To be honest, I disagree. It's something I've noticed some time ago - with the way CDPR leads Gwent's development, they inevitably grew a community/playerbase that's - in huge majority - interested only in competitive/tryhard gameplay.

Having pretty much only one game mode throughout the beta phases, quickly canning the events, removing Thronebreaker/every singleplayer element from Gwent have lead to the situation, where (generalizing) only people interested in Gwent are those that want to pick the strongest available deck and rock that ranked mode.

That's also why I'm worried about the upcoming singleplayer mode. In my opinion, it has to be good enough that brings a lot of new players, because I don't believe it'll be hugely popular among current playerbase.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Having pretty much only one game mode throughout the beta phases, quickly canning the events, removing Thronebreaker/every singleplayer element from Gwent have lead to the situation, where (generalizing) only people interested in Gwent are those that want to pick the strongest available deck and rock that ranked mode.
Thronenreaker's reception struck me as disappointingly lack-lustre. For one thing, I believe most players didn't quite know what to make of it, since it wasn't quite Gwent, and not a Witcher RPG. From what I recall, several potential players were turned off by the puzzles and card format, and might have preferred another kind of game -- which is unfortunate, considering how much fine work the Team put into Thronebreaker.

As for the special puzzle events, I believe the Devs mentioned that these proved simply too labour-intensive to sustain on a regular basis.

I'm cautiously optimistic regarding Project Golden Nekker, and am confident that the REDs will deliver another interesting experience; however, based on the community's rather tepid interest, I grant that it mayn't prove to be an earth-shattering success.

DRK3

Forum veteran
To be honest, I disagree. It's something I've noticed some time ago - with the way CDPR leads Gwent's development, they inevitably grew a community/playerbase that's - in huge majority - interested only in competitive/tryhard gameplay.

That's also why I'm worried about the upcoming singleplayer mode. In my opinion, it has to be good enough that brings a lot of new players, because I don't believe it'll be hugely popular among current playerbase.

True, the majority of players perhaps isnt very interested in singleplayer / puzzle content... but that doesnt mean there isnt a demand, a demand doesnt necessarily need to hit +50%, its arguable what that percentage is. I would say 10-20% is good enough, it would still be more than players interested in draft or some seasonals.

That's also what im doing with 'deck of the day' thread, 90+% of players arent interested in meme decks (even though that isnt all i post there), even if there's very few players who look for it, i still want to satisfy the demand for original decks, like some other creators are also doing.

Some time ago I wrote a mini essay on why Thronebreaker failed. Sadly I can't find it, but I remember that one of the main culprits I pointed out was separating it from Gwent, and thus making TB a game for "no-one". Too easy and too basic for Gwent players and too card-game'y for RPG players.

As for the special puzzle events, I believe the Devs mentioned that these proved simply too labour-intensive to sustain on a regular basis.
I often saw this reasoning. Though, I have a problem with it.
On one hand, the Midwinter Hunt puzzles were so basic (compared to previous ones) that it indeed seemed they didn't have enough time to do them properly.
On the other hand, they were still working on the fourth puzzle (Passiflora Event for valentine's day), but seems they canned it after Midwinter fiasco.
I think if they monetized them, they could find a place in Gwent. Hell, that's how I started making the puzzles - I redesigned the old ones from the events to current Gwent, for a presentation about re-introducing monetized events :D

The way how Golden Nekker is getting delayed (keep in mind it was originally supposed to be released at the end of last year) I fear it might share Thronebreaker's fate.

I would say 10-20% is good enough, it would still be more than players interested in draft or some seasonals.
I think even 10% is pretty optimistic. Especially, after such long drought of any content that's not standard gameplay.
Draft and seasonals are not different enough from standard, to not become another tryhard modes.

Last edited:
  • RED Point
The way how Golden Nekker is getting delayed (keep in mind it was originally supposed to be released at the end of last year) I fear it might share Thronebreaker's fate.
I certainly hope not, as I've long felt Gwent could use more substantial story elements. We shall see.
Some time ago I wrote a mini essay on why Thronebreaker failed. Sadly I can't find it, but I remember that one of the main culprits I pointed out was separating it from Gwent, and thus making TB a game for "no-one". Too easy and too basic for Gwent players and too card-game'y for RPG players.
I've seen this point raised a few times, and I'm inclined to agree. The game seems not to have fit comfortably into the usual categories.
I think if they monetized them, they could find a place in Gwent. Hell, that's how I started making the puzzles - I redesigned the old ones from the events to current Gwent, for a presentation about re-introducing monetized events
I suppose this could be an option, if it balanced out the cost of creating them.

• RED Point
Top Bottom