Power weapons are the most fun (gun types review)

+
I'm currently at my third playthrough...

The first one was with tech weapons. It was fun in the beginning. But wall hacking an entire building in seconds became stale pretty quickly. There was no thinking or tactics involved. The enemies stood still for me to pick up one by one.
By the way, who thought it would be a great idea to have a sniper rifle (Nekomata) shake a little bit while it charges and shake extremely/uncontrollably when fully charged. I mean, it somewhat fits the theme of a gauss-like type of weapon. But why is it so pronounced at the end of the charging process and specifically on a sniper that should be precise? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Nobody who's interested in sniping would think "let's buy a sniper rifle but not a regular one but a really powerful one that misses almost all shots at long range, yeah, that sounds reasonable!".
Widow Maker: 2x6 pellets per charge is insanely powerful and therefore extremely boring. Six pellets should be more than enough, especially when you consider that you can get it very early in the game and uses the huge rifle ammo pool instead of the sniper ammo one (like the other precision rifle "SOR-22" in the game). There is no drawback. It can easily replace any sniper rifle. The Nekomata/Breakthrough can technically hit higher numbers but in reality you can't overkill an enemy.
To end on a positive note, I love the DR12 Quasar. An automatic revolver isn't something you see often. Well done!

The second playthrough was with smart weapons. I decided to go for a more glass cannon, close quarters and gun'n'run kind of build to keep it interesting. It was okay, definitely more fun than the tech one but it felt somewhat lacking. Recoil, accuracy and its compensation was completely irrelevant therefore I could skip all recoil and accuracy perks and mods. The L-69 Zhuo was my absolute favourite. The other ones felt more like peashooters.
When I did a lot of gigs that involved Tyger Claws it felt odd to centre a build around a weapon type while a huge portion of the enemies are "immune" against those.
But I loved the designs of those weapons except for the pistols.

Recently I started the third playthrough with power weapons. Oh boy, I'm glad I didn't use them in my first playthrough. Otherwise I wouldn't have used any other type anymore. They look and feel (the "kick" and sound) great and I have to use tactics more often. And the best part is there are a lot more variables involved which makes the build crafting process so much more engaging. I can't easily overcome enemies under cover. There are no wallhacks or magic bullets that curve around cover and automatically hit the head. I can use ricochet for that and it's a lot of fun getting both the timing and angle right, especially in dense combat situations.
Some of the iconic power weapons are way more powerful than their non-iconic counterparts but they still feel more fun than most of the tech and smart weapons.

So, that's enough from my end. What do you think? What's your experience with those three weapon types?

Redacted[...] Who thought killing enemies by staring at walls is good gameplay? So many bad decisions in the gameplay section of this title asdf.

Nevermind that technically all the 3 gun types are redundant and do the same thing:
Power: Ignore cover by shooting around corners.
Smart: Ignore cover by autoaim/curving bullets.
Tech: Literally just ignore cover.

Doesnt get more redundant than that.

*sighs in frustration*

@topic:
Try borderlands 3. Its a pretty cool game albeit horribly imbalanced but with a wide selection of really fun and different types of guns.

Last edited:
When it comes to guns, I definitely prefer power weapons but I also love the Ashura smart sniper rifle which is IMO the best sniper in the game unless you want the silence of Overwatch.
The most fun weapons though IMO are blunt melee weapons and especially gorilla arms. I just love the brute "thud" sound that the GAs make when you charge punch someone :D

Tagging enemies via stealth or cameras and Tech weapons for me. Few things are more satisfying that hitting headshots through a building with my trusty Nekomata after a bit of hacking recon.

Smart weapons are also a lot of fun, especially smart shottys with Accelerated Rounds or smart assault rifles with Multi-Targeting perks.

There is also something to be said about the smack of a baseball bat upside some gangoon's head or a proper beheading with a tomahawk. It is a shame you cannot throw tomahawks the same way you can throw knives when you have Dagger Dealer.

Last edited:
Tagging enemies via stealth or cameras and Tech weapons for me. Few things are more satisfying that hitting headshots through a building with my trusty Nekomata after a bit of hacking recon.

Smart weapons are also a lot of fun, especially smart shottys with Accelerated Rounds or smart assault rifles with Multi-Targeting perks.

There is also something to be said about the smack of a baseball bat upside some gangoon's head or a proper beheading with a tomahawk. It is a shame you cannot throw tomahawks the same way you can throw knives when you have Dagger Dealer.

Doing a slide upwards cut with a Katana and see the dudes leg get cut off and do a flip is the funniest shit. You can have some pretty epic moment with a Katana, like fighting Oda before you out-level him to the point of 1shotting.

Overwatch with my tank build is so much fun
For me this, except I rather use a normal Grad because of the gunshot sound. The Overwatch is muffled due to a supressor/silencer on the muzzle.
I much like the normal Grad more for this reason. (and normal legendary Grad > Five'O due to magazine capacity.)
A good second for me is the HMG when it comes to 'dumb fun'. There's justsomething about feeling like the Terminator in Cyberpunkworld :sad:
I've been thinking of starting a build where I do Grad Sniper, HMG and Mantis Blade combo. because... why not. (I've already been saving like 5 HMGs into my stash right now so... Groundwork is done. Only thing I need to figure out how to start that build as all these weapons arent available from start.

@DankRafft try go for throwing knives… they are imo the least effective but really allot of fun … need of planning, stealth approach and sometimes luck is huge. Plus you really need to care about materials (for synth knives).

@DankRafft try go for throwing knives… they are imo the least effective but really allot of fun … need of planning, stealth approach and sometimes luck is huge. Plus you really need to care about materials (for synth knives).

They seems like a massive waste of time and effort when any weapon oneshots from stealth regardless once you get some perks.

Playing a game is already not a "waste of time" by itself ? :shrug:

I mean, you have to keep making new knives and stuff for no real reason. If you could recover it, sure, but you have to keep one useless crap weapon in the very limited weapon slots you have to use it.

They seems like a massive waste of time and effort when any weapon oneshots from stealth regardless once you get some perks.
Almost any weapon in CP allow to become almost invincible once V evolves enough. Knives use is imo just one from more (maybe the most?) difficult ways how to play this game without using simple ’tank all’ tactics. I also like how this least dangerous looking weapon may become very deadly. The best on it however is that it opened very different way of playing for me. I spent in NC more as 750 hours (game stats saying so) and last patches (1.3-1.31) finally allowed me to fully unlock deadly potential of cool tree. Imo ideally for knives would be allow to automatically replace thrown knife with the same lvl (if available in backpack). It will make playing more smooth but will not make it easy and there still will be need to care about materials.

Almost any weapon in CP allow to become almost invincible once V evolves enough. Knives use is imo just one from more (maybe the most?) difficult ways how to play this game without using simple ’tank all’ tactics. I also like how this least dangerous looking weapon may become very deadly. The best on it however is that it opened very different way of playing for me. I spent in NC more as 750 hours (game stats saying so) and last patches (1.3-1.31) finally allowed me to fully unlock deadly potential of cool tree. Imo ideally for knives would be allow to automatically replace thrown knife with the same lvl (if available in backpack). It will make playing more smooth but will not make it easy and there still will be need to care about materials.

It would be cool if you could equip "throwing knives" to your grenade slot that you could craft or buy and they would stack like grenades. Though with the new optical camo that goes into that slot, don't think many would do that. That new cyberware is broken af.

That new cyberware is broken af.
Optical camo cyberware, broken ?
Not on my side in any case :)
When you want to play "stealth" and you don't have a high level optic reboot QH, it's very useful in many case (like to launch optic reboot at the very last moment. A random example, in the konpeki...).

Optical camo cyberware, broken ?
Not on my side in any case :)
When you want to play "stealth" and you don't have a high level optic reboot QH, it's very useful in many case (like to launch optic reboot at the very last moment. A random example, in the konpeki...).

I don't mean bugged, I mean OP to the point of broken. Also, you don't need hacking for stealth at all. Just a silenced weapon. With Sandevistan and a pistol you can kill 5-6 people before they get alerted as the last guy dies before the first hits the floor.

The Iconic slowdown to 10% allows you to do hilarious thing.

Yes and CP 2077 system is very versatile. With Assault build player can have at least 3 different ways to play character focused on assault rifles, as there are also weapons to support that sort things available in game, from burst, to continuous to smart. For Body focused builds there's video, I think it's called "what happens when Doom players play CP 2077" or like that from Annihilation tree and some cyberware.

But we never really talked about that versatility and how aspect how this versatility transfers to actual gameplay and practical roleplaying for those who look for that sort of experience during early months after release.

It feels so silly now, missing obvious things like suggestions for better enemy NPC counters. I mean think of this for example with Tyger Claws:

ENPC (gun support)

ENCP moving to pincher VENPC (coming at V with melee weapon
---------
cover
---------
V
(player can block ENPC gun support, keeping melee NPC between V and gun support. practically 2 vs 1 instead of 3 vs 1

So how do you solve that. Give also enemy NPC katana types also couple of knives on harder difficulty levels.

I don't want to steer this to off-topic, but just example of why this kind of topics are important. They can spark other discussions.

Top Bottom