Predicted witcher 3 system specs? Can I run it .

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
And 32 extra ROPs.

What rumor says it has another 32 ROPs? That would also imply that it has a 512-bit memory bus, when that has been contradicted even by the leaked reports. The only architectural difference that can be founded even on unreliable reports is that the 980 has up to 16 SMs vs. 13 for the 970.

Since there are no announced specifications, only rumors based on a card nobody has actually seen, be very careful about spreading claims you may not be able to justify.

Last edited:
Oh, I was honestly expecting it to be higher.
Don't worry:

Nvidia 1 - Consumers 0.

What rumor says it has another 32 ROPs? That would also imply that it has a 512-bit memory bus, when that has been contradicted even by the leaked reports. The only architectural difference that can be founded even on unreliable reports is that the 980 has up to 16 SMs vs. 13 for the 970.

Since there are no announced specifications, only rumors based on a card nobody has actually seen, be very careful about spreading claims you may not be able to justify.

No, apparently it has 64 ROPs. The 256bit interface limitation is overcome by a combination of larger L2 cache and a far more efficient compression algorithm than was used in Kepler, apparently twice as efficient. It will still likely be a bottleneck, but nowhere near as bad as first feared. The sites around the net seem pretty sure about this one.

http://videocardz.com/52362/only-at-vc-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-final-specifications

Last edited:
Best case scenario, they're AUS dollars, but it would still make them way over the price range that was announced/leaked earlier.

Well that would make it about 460.00 US. Also, Australia has some pretty crazy import taxes.

We will find out for sure tomorrow. But if that is US, that's ridiculous, even by Nvidia's standards.

No, apparently it has 64 ROPs. The 256bit interface limitation is overcome by a combination of larger L2 cache and a far more efficient compression algorithm than was used in Kepler, apparently twice as efficient. It will still likely be a bottleneck, but nowhere near as bad as first feared. The sites around the net seem pretty sure about this one.

http://videocardz.com/52362/only-at-vc-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-final-specifications

Y'know, for a publication that claims to know something about graphics cards, they might find somebody who actually knows how to do more than regurgitate spec salad when writing for them. I can't glean from that article anything that tells me the writer actually knows how graphics cards are put together or work.

I'll wait for actual specs from nVidia before making claims.

Y'know, for a publication that claims to know something about graphics cards, they might find somebody who actually knows how to do more than regurgitate spec salad when writing for them. I can't glean from that article anything that tells me the writer actually knows how graphics cards are put together or work.

I'll wait for actual specs from nVidia before making claims.

That's just one site, English isn't the guys first language. He's Polish as far as I know.

All the sites seem pretty sure. We will find out for sure tomorrow, or Friday at the latest when the NDAs are lifted.

That's just one site, English isn't the guys first language. He's Polish as far as I know.

All the sites seem pretty sure. We will find out for sure tomorrow, or Friday at the latest when the NDAs are lifted.

That's the problem with leaks and rumors. You have to look at whether the sites that are supposedly confirming the original report are actually confirming it, or merely repeating it. A rumor often repeated gains no truth in the repetition.

All the other sites are merely repeating the videocardz report. They add nothing to the credibility of that report.

It comes from nVidia before I put any credence to it.

Well that would make it about 460.00 US. Also, Australia has some pretty crazy import taxes.

We will find out for sure tomorrow. But if that is US, that's ridiculous, even by Nvidia's standards.

Looks like retailer markup. I would be very surprised if you could get any of these cards for MSRP when they come out.

Last edited:
It comes from nVidia before I put any credence to it.

Two days at most, and the official specs will be released from Nvidia.

Also, a lot of those sites actually have the cards for testing, such as 3DGuru, they know the specs, but they're 'repeating' what Videocardz said and are citing them, because they don't want to break, or be accused of breaking their NDAs.

Last edited:
Its kinda funny how a month ago all the rumors were like "OMG THEY ARE ONLY GOING TO COST 5$ AND COME OUT TOMORROW!" and now in mid September we still have no idea what is going on.

Also anyone that was getting their hopes up for very cheap high end cards bought disappointment on yourself. Nvidia made no statements and no promises, the hype was not made by them.

Its kinda funny how a month ago all the rumors were like "OMG THEY ARE ONLY GOING TO COST 5$ AND COME OUT TOMORROW!" and now in mid September we still have no idea what is going on.

Also anyone that was getting their hopes up for very cheap high end cards bought disappointment on yourself. Nvidia made no statements and no promises, the hype was not made by them.

We know all will be revealed this Friday. No more speculations after that.

Well, the first numbers are in. One of the sites jumped the gun and released the specs and benchmarks early. The GTX 980 consistently beats the GTX 780 Ti, and by about 14% overall, which was what has been expected for months now, even at higher resolutions of 2560x1600. Unfortunately they didn't test it at 4k, or it was pulled before the screens could be grabbed. Apparently both the 970 and 980 have 64 ROPs, damn!

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-maxwell-...0-15-faster-r9-290x-gtx-970-10-faster-r9-290/

Last edited:
Damn shame its backup is a leak that's been pulled... Leaks, rumors, and no verifiable foundation. Still, if it's even within shouting distance of accurate, nVidia has done pretty much what they wanted: come in above the performance of their current product, at a 100 watt power saving.

Damn shame its backup is a leak that's been pulled... Leaks, rumors, and no verifiable foundation. Still, if it's even within shouting distance of accurate, nVidia has done pretty much what they wanted: come in above the performance of their current product, at a 100 watt power saving.

Yeah it's a pity, but there will be plenty more where that came from shortly. It's an impressive achievement alright, and shows just how powerful future Maxwells will be when they move to 20nm and push up the cuda core count. Both the 970 and 980 should be very good with Witcher 3 however, if Witcher 2 and its love of ROPs is anything to go by.

Is it likely for a game to be released, and for there to not yet be available hardware to run it at its max settings properly?

Also, when is the 20nm expected?

Yes it is, but depends form the game and from which are che max settings and their effect. If you think about ubersampling, that's the case, but it's the typical setting to leave off all the time (terribly crippled performance, minimal graphical improvement). Many times games have graphical options which are very demanding but not really needed if you're playing and not focusing on graphics all the time..

20 nm were expected for this generation, so they will come later with new 900 GPUs (like maybe a 980 ti or new "titan" like gpu) or more probably with next generation

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom