Predicted witcher 3 system specs? Can I run it .

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the specs:
I7-2600k 4.2Ghz
8Gb 1600Mhz RAM
GTX780 OC
1080p monitor

Will this be enough? What do you think?
Enough for what? ;) It's enough to run a game - that's for sure. We have no information about minimal or recommended requirements.

Thanks a lot,glad to know. Can you tell me something about that graphic card though ? Is it good,mediocre or something like that ?
If you're mainly upgrading for Witcher 3 I'd just continue to save up money until February and buy a good rig. The new GPU's from both AMD and Nvidia should be out by then as well.
You'll get a lot more out of it than buying an FX-6100 and R9 270X now. Especially considering that the FX-6100 is a pretty weak processor that's bound to bottleneck you in an open world game like this.
And you'd definitely need at least 8GB of RAM.

What the rest of your system btw?
What PSU, Mobo, Case do you have right now? And what's your screen resolution?

If you're mainly upgrading for Witcher 3 I'd just continue to save up money until February and buy a good rig. The new GPU's from both AMD and Nvidia should be out by then as well.
You'll get a lot more out of it than buying an FX-6100 and R9 270X now. Especially considering that the FX-6100 is a pretty weak processor that's bound to bottleneck you in an open world game like this.
And you'd definitely need at least 8GB of RAM.

What the rest of your system btw?
What PSU, Mobo, Case do you have right now? And what's your screen resolution?

Thanks A LOT for the info,the thing is i already have the AMD FX 6100 Processor, 4GB DDR3 RAM and a Weak ATI RADEON 3000 series gaming video card. I decided that my budget Is not big enough to buy myself a new Processor,RAM and Graphics card and I'm thinking to upgrade my Graphics card and RAM memory only.

I'm Running an AMD FX 6100, 4 GB DDR3 1600ghz memory, ATI RADEON 3000 Series (3800 i believe?not sure...?), 1100 W PSU, XStrike Aero Cool case,1440 x 900 Screen resolution. Windows 7 64 bit

Thanks a lot,glad to know. Can you tell me something about that graphic card though ? Is it good,mediocre or something like that ?
It's a nice Card, decent Card and medium should be something it could do. I myself is more a nvidia guy though :) but take a look at WFMS post I makes some great points :) edit looks like you have seen his post :) good luck with you rig mate :)

Last edited:
Thanks A LOT for the info,the thing is i already have the AMD FX 6100 Processor, 4GB DDR3 RAM and a Weak ATI RADEON 3000 series gaming video card. I decided that my budget Is not big enough to buy myself a new Processor,RAM and Graphics card and I'm thinking to upgrade my Graphics card and RAM memory only.

I'm Running an AMD FX 6100, 4 GB DDR3 1600ghz memory, ATI RADEON 3000 Series (3800 i believe?not sure...?), 1100 W PSU, XStrike Aero Cool case,1440 x 900 Screen resolution. Windows 7 64 bit

The 38xx cards were the stated minimum for TW2 but actually played it pretty well. They won't do for TW3 at all, because they don't support DirectX 11, and the game will require it.

I don't like the AMD FX processors except for the FX 8xxx (8-core, sort of) series. The lower (6xxx, 4xxx) models have less memory bandwidth, which I suspect will be important in avoiding load interruptions and hesitations. If you're going to upgrade, make sure you have the power handling and cooling for it; the 8xxx CPUs run hot. I had to use a third party cooler and extra fans to get mine to run cool. And not all motherboards can deliver 125W to the CPU reliably, even if you have the power supply for it. Check listed CPU compatibility from the motherboard manufacturer.

Ah I see. Well you could just get yourself an extra 4GB of RAM if your motherboard has the extra RAM slots. I'd presume it's 2GB x 2 right now so you could get another 2GB x 2. Or if it's just a single 4GB stick you could just get another 4GB.
As for the GPU just give it until February and get yourself a decent one. I'm sure 8 months is enough time to save up for a better CPU as well. You're on a AM3+ socket board so you wouldn't need to replace the motherboard if you go for something like an FX 8350.
And on a resolution like 1440 x 900 you wouldn't need a top of the line GPU either. Something mid range from the new GPU lineups at that time would probably be enough for 60fps at high/ max settings.

EDIT: Also can I ask what brand PSU that is and why you would need such a crazy amount of power. That's the sort of PSU you get for high-end Crossfire/ SLI systems. :p

Last edited:
The 38xx cards were the stated minimum for TW2 but actually played it pretty well. They won't do for TW3 at all, because they don't support DirectX 11, and the game will require it.

I don't like the AMD FX processors except for the FX 8xxx (8-core, sort of) series. The lower (6xxx, 4xxx) models have less memory bandwidth, which I suspect will be important in avoiding load interruptions and hesitations. If you're going to upgrade, make sure you have the power handling and cooling for it; the 8xxx CPUs run hot. I had to use a third party cooler and extra fans to get mine to run cool. And not all motherboards can deliver 125W to the CPU reliably, even if you have the power supply for it. Check listed CPU compatibility from the motherboard manufacturer.

I appreciate all the valuable information that people have given me on this forum,thank you very much ! I guess i still have time to sort my budget out and see if i can get my hands on the 8xxx CPU's and i should be able to cool them fine provided i buy some FAN's.

Thanks again for your time ! Have a good evening.

Ah I see. Well you could just get yourself an extra 4GB of RAM if your motherboard has the extra RAM slots. I'd presume it's 2GB x 2 right now so you could get another 2GB x 2. Or if it's just a single 4GB stick you could just get another 4GB.
As for the GPU just give it until February and get yourself a decent one. I'm sure 8 months is enough time to save up for a better CPU as well. You're on a AM3+ socket board so you wouldn't need to replace the motherboard if you go for something like an FX 8350.
And on a resolution like 1440 x 900 you wouldn't need a top of the line GPU either. Something mid range from the new GPU lineups at that time would probably be enough for 60fps at high/ max settings.

EDIT: Also can I ask what brand PSU that is and why you would need such a crazy amount of power. That's the sort of PSU you get for high-end Crossfire/ SLI systems. :p

Thank you for your answer and you have really made some things clear to me. By the way i agree that i do have 8 months in front of me and I MIGHT just go for the 8xxx CPU. In terms of my RAM memory i have 2 slots on my MB, i was thinking of filling them with 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ones.

About my PSU : Here he is http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4177144 I swear he is bigger than "The Kayran" from TW 2.The thing is that i got this PSU at less than it's half price.And that price was incredibly low, much lower than that of the 750 W brand new store ones.So i actually ended up getting this one like a year and 2 months back and it has been working well.I dont use it for the things you've mentioned,no,by any means :p, I use my PC casually.

Last edited by a moderator:
TW3 will be released in a bad time for "PC Upgraders".
The real upgrade (Intel Skylake - PCI Exp 4, DDR4) will be out on summer 2015.

I'd drop the H100i watercooler and go for something cheaper like a Hyper 212 Evo. It's 20 euro vs 100 euro. The differences in cooling performance between them is miniscule compared to the amount of money you have to pay. And getting it to 4.7-4.8 Ghz on air is easy as long as you have a good cooler.
Personally, if the PC is just for gaming I'd go with an i5. There's very little benefits in gaming to using an i7.
I'd probably go for a cheaper motherboard as well unless you really need all the extra gimmicky features.
And with all the money you save you could go with 16GB RAM instead of 8GB and throw in a nice SSD. And save the rest for the GPU later.
I'd rather have an i7. Just in case. Same with watercooling. Both are the kind of things that I'd like to invest for "a peace of mind". Afaik, a couple of games like Crysis 3 do benefit from HT so if there's a chance it might come handy in the future, I'd rather have it. The same thing with water cooling. No matter how much I overclock i really don't have to be so concerned about the temps. And the idea of using a 20€ cooler with a 330€ CPU isn't honestly very tempting..

As for ram, I don't really see the point having more than 8GB. Especially since ram is rather expensive right now and you simply don't need 16GB. At least not yet.

Thank you for your answer and you have really made some things clear to me. By the way i agree that i do have 8 months in front of me and I MIGHT just go for the 8xxx CPU. In terms of my RAM memory i have 2 slots on my MB, i was thinking of filling them with 2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ones.

About my PSU : Here he is http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4177144 I swear he is bigger than "The Kayran" from TW 2.The thing is that i got this PSU at less than it's half price.And that price was incredibly low, much lower than that of the 750 W brand new store ones.So i actually ended up getting this one like a year and 2 months back and it has been working well.I dont use it for the things you've mentioned,no,by any means :p, I use my PC casually.

I'm not concerned about that power supply. I wouldn't trust it even at 900W, but you're going to be 500W max, and that's its sweet spot. What I am concerned about, though, is your motherboard. Motherboard to not-quite-compatible CPU issues are a big source of hard-to-solve problems. You need a motherboard that is solid as Zoltan's balls driving a 125W CPU, when you start thinking about putting an FX 83xx on it.

Ok,i know for sure i would have to upgrade:GPU,CPU,MOBO and RAM (8 G,from what i've read so far).Let's say also a new PSU,to be on the safe side.
I have nothing extra in my case,like extra fans,cooling devices etc.I have Win 7 32 bit,screen resolution 1366x768.
What would be approximately the lowest amount of money to make the necessary upgrades so i'll be able to play the game?(on the lowest settings,i don't mind)

I'd rather have an i7. Just in case. Same with watercooling. Both are the kind of things that I'd like to invest for "a peace of mind". Afaik, a couple of games like Crysis 3 do benefit from HT so if there's a chance it might come handy in the future, I'd rather have it. The same thing with water cooling. No matter how much I overclock i really don't have to be so concerned about the temps. And the idea of using a 20€ cooler with a 330€ CPU isn't honestly very tempting..

As for ram, I don't really see the point having more than 8GB. Especially since ram is rather expensive right now and you simply don't need 16GB. At least not yet.

Fair enough. I was just saying what I would personally go for.
And judging something based on its price isn't the brightest idea I feel :p
Considering the Hyper 212 EVO is seen as the best bang for the buck heatsink in terms of air cooling.
And the reason I recommended it is because a H100i gives you at most 10-15c difference in temps at about 5 times the price.
It's such a miniscule difference since a 212 EVO would leave you at more than safe temps even at high overclocks.

I can run my 2500k at stable 5.0Ghz at safe temps on my Hyper 212+, an older model than EVO. If that isn't good enough performance for overclocking then damn, good luck in your extreme overclocking endeavors! haha

But in all seriousness, if you feel it's a good idea to spend the extra money for liquid cooling go for it, just understand that it's not some magical solution that will completely destroy temperatures. Custom loop setups are where you'll start seeing the really strong cooling numbers.

But yea, personally I'd still just go for a cheaper air heatsink and a cheaper mobo even if I kept the i7 and 8GB RAM. And spend the leftover money on a nice SSD to put Windows and games that really benefit from it on there.
At least that's a difference that's noticeable in actual performance unlike an expensive motherboard and closed loop water cooling set.

TW3 will be released in a bad time for "PC Upgraders".
The real upgrade (Intel Skylake - PCI Exp 4, DDR4) will be out on summer 2015.

From what I've seen the full PCIe 4.0 specification won't be ready until 2016 at least.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/0...patible_pcie_40_on_track_for_del2015del_2016/
But even if it was, no GPU saturates 3.0, or even 2.0 yet.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7089/geforce-gtx-titan-twoway-sli-scaling-pcie-2-vs-pcie-3

And I doubt DDR4 will be cheap enough for any actual benefit for consumers by that time as well, since it's only coming in the 3rd quarter of this year and will take a good while for prices to get to a decent level.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory...emain_Expensive_Until_Late_2015_Analysts.html
Just like how IPS screens and SSD's went through the same issue.

I'm not concerned about that power supply. I wouldn't trust it even at 900W, but you're going to be 500W max, and that's its sweet spot. What I am concerned about, though, is your motherboard. Motherboard to not-quite-compatible CPU issues are a big source of hard-to-solve problems. You need a motherboard that is solid as Zoltan's balls driving a 125W CPU, when you start thinking about putting an FX 83xx on it.

Yea that's a very good point regarding the 125W requirement. I've not had an AMD CPU build so it never really crossed my mind about the higher Watt chips.
If exCastle could give us his Mobo model I'm sure we could find out for him.

(Edit: Thanks Reptile!)

Last edited:
Considering the Hyper 212 EVO is seen as the best bang for the buck heatsink in terms of air cooling.
And the reason I recommended it is because a H100i gives you at most 10-15c difference in temps at about 5 times the price.
It's such a miniscule difference since a 212 EVO would leave you at more than safe temps even at high overclocks.

I can run my 2500k at stable 5.0Ghz at safe temps on my Hyper 212+, an older model than EVO. If that isn't good enough performance for overclocking then damn, good luck in your extreme overclocking endeavors! haha

But in all seriousness, if you feel it's a good idea to spend the extra money for liquid cooling go for it, just understand that it's not some magical solution that will completely destroy temperatures. Custom loop setups are where you'll start seeing the really strong cooling numbers.

But yea, personally I'd still just go for a cheaper air heatsink and a cheaper mobo even if I kept the i7 and 8GB RAM. And spend the leftover money on a nice SSD to put Windows and games that really benefit from it on there.
At least that's a difference that's noticeable in actual performance unlike an expensive motherboard and closed loop water cooling set.

From what I've seen the full PCIe 4.0 specification won't be ready until 2016 at least.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/0...patible_pcie_40_on_track_for_del2015del_2016/
But even if it was, no GPU saturates 3.0, or even 2.0 yet.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7089/geforce-gtx-titan-twoway-sli-scaling-pcie-2-vs-pcie-3

And I doubt DDR4 will be cheap enough for any actual benefit for consumers by that time as well, since it's only coming in the 3rd quarter of this year and will take a good while for prices to get to a decent level.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/memory...emain_Expensive_Until_Late_2015_Analysts.html
Just like how IPS screens and SSD's went through the same issue.

Yea that's a very good point regarding the 125W requirement. I've not had an AMD CPU build so it never really crossed my mind about the higher Watt chips.
If exCastle could give us his Mobo model I'm sure we could find out for him.

(Edit: Thanks Reptile!)

This forum is so helpful it's like i died and went to heaven.. thanks very much guys,my mobo is ASUS M5A78L-M LX 3

I've listed my Motherboard above this post,is it solid for an FX 83xx ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah. I understand your point but I still want i7 & liquid cooling, just because I can :D

But I possibly did find a better alternative to the Asus Maximus Ranger motherboard. ASUS Z97A. A great overclocking potential, and it's 30€ cheaper than the Maximus VII Ranger.

And also, i have a 64GB SSD as a boot drive. After I sell some stuff from my old setup (ram & case most likely) I'll probably use that money to buy a cheap Kingston 120GB SSD so I can have a few games installed on it.

Yeah. I understand your point but I still want i7 & liquid cooling, just because I can :D

But I possibly did find a better alternative to the Asus Maximus Ranger motherboard. ASUS Z97A. A great overclocking potential, and it's 30€ cheaper than the Maximus VII Ranger.
Go for it! I've heard some good things about that board.

And also, i have a 64GB SSD as a boot drive. After I sell some stuff from my old setup (ram & case most likely) I'll probably use that money to buy a cheap Kingston 120GB SSD so I can have a few games installed on it.
I'd look into some reviews of that Kingston 120GB SSD. I've heard some models of them having dodgy flash chips or something about them being slow. I can't really recall, it's been awhile since then.
But you can get Samsung 840 SSD's quite cheap right now for only a few more quid/ euro than the Kingston drives. They're faster and more reliable than the HyperX drives from what I hear.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-120...=1402958456&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+120gb+ssd

This forum is so helpful it's like i died and went to heaven.. thanks very much guys,my mobo is ASUS M5A78L-M LX 3

No dice I'm afraid. The Asus site says it supports CPU's up to 95W.

Last edited:
I'd look into some reviews of that Kingston 120GB SSD. I've heard some models of them having dodgy flash chips or something about them being slow. I can't really recall, it's been awhile since then.
But you can get Samsung 840 SSD's quite cheap right now for only a few more quid/ euro than the Kingston drives. They're faster and more reliable than the HyperX drives from what I hear.
Good to know. I'll keep that in mind. But I'm in no hurry to buy a second SSD yet. It's not essential and If I buy it I'll buy it for The Witcher 3. And 8 months from now I'll probably find it cheaper as well.

Last edited:
Ok,i know for sure i would have to upgrade:GPU,CPU,MOBO and RAM (8 G,from what i've read so far).Let's say also a new PSU,to be on the safe side.
I have nothing extra in my case,like extra fans,cooling devices etc.I have Win 7 32 bit,screen resolution 1366x768.
What would be approximately the lowest amount of money to make the necessary upgrades so i'll be able to play the game?(on the lowest settings,i don't mind)

Sadly, you're going to need almost everything, including a Windows license. The game will be 64-bit, and 32-bit won't run it.

Because it's going to be a big commitment, I would wait. It's too early to say what components will be the well-playable minimums.

Sadly, you're going to need almost everything, including a Windows license. The game will be 64-bit, and 32-bit won't run it.

Because it's going to be a big commitment, I would wait. It's too early to say what components will be the well-playable minimums.

64 bit only?The windows license costs at least $100.
I would wait anyway,because at the moment i'm so broke it's not even funny.Well,things are looking bleak for me (unless i win the lottery or something).I guess youtube will be my friend... :'(

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom