Predicted witcher 3 system specs? Can I run it .

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey ladies and gents, how do you think a phenom II 965 will perform? It's old but i hope it wont bottelneck my R9 270x.
Open world games tend to be CPU bound? Or im wrong?

Hi,

I haven't seen much in the way of my specs and I was wondering what people think with regard to running on max? at 1080p?

Cpu - fx 8350
GPU - R9 280X
RAM - 8GB
(Running off and ssd for games)

I know it's fine for most games these days but considering the leap CDPR tends to make, what do people think? Also will I suffer from the cool hair physics etc for not having Nvidea?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Witcher community,I am having some temperature problems with my PC at the moment so here's the thing. Here is my CASE - http://www.quietpc.com/images/products/ae-strikex-one-black-large.jpg

So i have 3 case fans at the moment but that is not the point. I've ordered 2 more case fans but I have no idea about how they should be placed.I assume i should make both SIDE fans suck air INTO the machine and the TOP 2 fans suck the air out. Please if someone could correct me and maybe point me in the right direction regarding what i should do with the Case air flow i'd be very thankful.

As I've said at the moment I'm stuck with 3 case fans in total (one on the side and one on the top + 1 case fan in the rear) At the moment my side case fan is sucking the air OUT of the machine and the top one sucks it IN. My CPU temp is 47C and my GPU is 77C with just Google Chrome running.I assume that once i get 2 more case fans my temperature will be fine but i would be very thankful if someone could tell me how to adjust all of my case fans to have proper air flow.Thanks in Advance

@exCastle
47C and 77C are pretty hot for what amounts to a CPU in idle and a GPU in 2D. There are three ways this is likely to happen:
1. You really do have an air circulation problem. This isn't real common unless you skimped on the fans or somebody who built it for you did. The old Dell Dimension 4700 was notorious for this. The manufacturer mounted the fan so that it did a good job of keeping hot air inside the case.
2. The CPU and GPU have inadequate coolers. The most likely problem combination is a 125W AMD CPU on stock cooling.
3. The computer is set up for low noise. Low-noise setups may not crank up the fans until the CPU hits 50C or the GPU hits 80C or the power supply hits 50% load.

Before messing with fans, check these points:
1. Are you running an inadequate CPU cooler? High-power AMD CPUs or any overclocked CPU on stock cooling are the most likely candidates.
2. Are you running with low-noise fan settings? There should be BIOS or UEFI settings for CPU and case fans. Adjust these in the direction of more noise, more fan.
3. Run with the side panel off; run with the side panel off and a portable fan blowing air at the open side. (Do this in a dust-free place.)

I make fan setups with two objectives in mind:
1. Most important, pull hot air away from components that generate it. If you have a GPU that exhausts into the case, put an exhaust fan in the side panel over the GPU. Put one or two exhaust fans near the CPU cooler.
2. Sometimes you need to feed cool air to a component that needs it. I have one high-power AMD setup where I put an intake fan on one side of the CPU cooler and two exhaust fans on the other. I have a mean old nVidia GPU (reference cooler, so it exhausts to the outside) where I put an intake fan on the side panel.

I don't set store by positive/negative pressure arguments. You can't achieve any significant pressure gradients with consumer-grade cases and fans. And it's less important than "get the hot air out".

@exCastle
47C and 77C are pretty hot for what amounts to a CPU in idle and a GPU in 2D. There are three ways this is likely to happen:
1. You really do have an air circulation problem. This isn't real common unless you skimped on the fans or somebody who built it for you did. The old Dell Dimension 4700 was notorious for this. The manufacturer mounted the fan so that it did a good job of keeping hot air inside the case.
2. The CPU and GPU have inadequate coolers. The most likely problem combination is a 125W AMD CPU on stock cooling.
3. The computer is set up for low noise. Low-noise setups may not crank up the fans until the CPU hits 50C or the GPU hits 80C or the power supply hits 50% load.

Before messing with fans, check these points:
1. Are you running an inadequate CPU cooler? High-power AMD CPUs or any overclocked CPU on stock cooling are the most likely candidates.
2. Are you running with low-noise fan settings? There should be BIOS or UEFI settings for CPU and case fans. Adjust these in the direction of more noise, more fan.
3. Run with the side panel off; run with the side panel off and a portable fan blowing air at the open side. (Do this in a dust-free place.)

I make fan setups with two objectives in mind:
1. Most important, pull hot air away from components that generate it. If you have a GPU that exhausts into the case, put an exhaust fan in the side panel over the GPU. Put one or two exhaust fans near the CPU cooler.
2. Sometimes you need to feed cool air to a component that needs it. I have one high-power AMD setup where I put an intake fan on one side of the CPU cooler and two exhaust fans on the other. I have a mean old nVidia GPU (reference cooler, so it exhausts to the outside) where I put an intake fan on the side panel.

I don't set store by positive/negative pressure arguments. You can't achieve any significant pressure gradients with consumer-grade cases and fans. And it's less important than "get the hot air out".

Hey,thanks for your advice,I'm kind of lost right now but i'll do as you've told me.I'll check my bios settings immediately and then i'll wait for my other fans so that i can set them up using your "mini-guide". Neither my CPU (AMD FX 6100 3.3ghz) is overclocked nor my GPU (ATI RADEON 3800 series),that's what worries me.

Since the components seem to be relatively old to me it might simply be dust? I'm cleaning up my PC twice a year and it's pretty impressive how much dust can be accumulated in that time (and that's with dust filters on all chassis fans). And I don't know specifically about the FX6100 but a lot of AMD CPUs tend to run very hot, compared with the current Intel gen. Although the GPU seems to be more of an issue - 80°C is pretty high, my GPU never goes above ~65°C at full load.

Since the components seem to be relatively old to me it might simply be dust? I'm cleaning up my PC twice a year and it's pretty impressive how much dust can be accumulated in that time (and that's with dust filters on all chassis fans). And I don't know specifically about the FX6100 but a lot of AMD CPUs tend to run very hot, compared with the current Intel gen. Although the GPU seems to be more of an issue - 80°C is pretty high, my GPU never goes above ~65°C at full load.

Yeah i thought about that too...I guess i'll have to take a look at whats happening in there,thanks for the replies

Does it generate significant more heat if overclocked?
I have a Thermal T. lanbox(less airflow) and the average temperature when gaming is 55-58C.

Does it generate significant more heat if overclocked?
I have a Thermal T. lanbox(less airflow) and the average temperature when gaming is 55-58C.
First try your new GPU in some games and then take a look on benchmarks with your 270x and if you will have less FPS than another gamers with your GPU, then overclock.

Last edited:
Anyone? :)))

Phenom II 9's and 10's are good. (So are unlocked 5's if you got one.) The more recent FX-8's have better memory handling, but the old ones are just as good at crunching numbers. They run hot, and they run hotter if you overclock them, so yeah, given that you already have heat issues that you may not be able to solve in a lanbox, overclocking may not be an option.

There's an excellent old discussion of overclocking Phenom II's at http://www.overclock.net/t/525113/phenom-ii-overclocking-guide

Last edited:
It is literally using the same engine as TW2 just for "bigger maps". So if TW2 runs for you GPU heavy TW3 will too, perhaps even a bit more since it looks so good.

Wicther 3 uses a new engine Red Engine 3 not same as Red Engine 2

Wicther 3 uses a new engine Red Engine 3 not same as Red Engine 2

It's derived by the same team, not developed new by a different team to a different design. So it's more likely to have features in common than not.

Red Engine 2 was strongly output processor (ROP) bound, which is why older output-heavy cards tend to outperform newer shader-heavy cards on it. I don't know to what extent RE3 will have the same characteristic. But it wouldn't surprise me to find that the ROP bandwidth is a predictor of performance.

Phenom II 9's and 10's are good. (So are unlocked 5's if you got one.) The more recent FX-8's have better memory handling, but the old ones are just as good at crunching numbers. They run hot, and they run hotter if you overclock them, so yeah, given that you already have heat issues that you may not be able to solve in a lanbox, overclocking may not be an option.

There's an excellent old discussion of overclocking Phenom II's at http://www.overclock.net/t/525113/phenom-ii-overclocking-guide

Thanks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom