Predicted witcher 3 system specs? Can I run it .

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I agree with eskimoe, the 780 will handle this game awesomely at 1080p.

I wasn't really worried about running the game at 1440p until Guy N'wah made that post about frame time when comparing resolutions, I jut hope the game is not super difficult to max out.

The frame time's really an issue for SLI and Crossfire configurations. It wasn't unusual, in 2-way high performance configurations, to get into a situation where the frame time of half your frames was zero. And while this shows a very nice frame rate, it doesn't mean you see that frame rate -- because frames with a dwell time of zero don't actually show up on your screen!

nVidia and AMD both have frame pacing in their drivers now, and this means it should usually not be a problem. But it still means frame times, and the distribution of frame times, need to be measured when you're evaluating and tuning a high-performance configuration. MSI Afterburner does a good job of it.

Micro stuttering is really a bigger problem than many think of. Some times bigger than frame rate. Though nVidia and AMD are starting to solve those problems.

Hey guys, can you help me out? So I decided to finally buy a new rig. For Witcher 3 obviously :)
This is my current rig (it is quite old): GPU: 1GB PALIT GTX460 SONIC. CPU: AMD PHENOM2 X4 965 AM3 BLK. Motherboard: Asus M4N75TD MoBo. PSU: 650W CM EXTREME GX 80+. Ram: CORSAIR 4GB XMS3 PC3-10666MHz x2. Hard Drive: 1TB HITACHI 7K2000 SATA HDD. And XIGMATEK ASGARD CASE T45UB.

So as I said, I want to build new one (something around 1000 pounds). One thing I am sure of. I decided to buy MSI GTX 780Ti GAMING Twin Frozr IV 3GB as gpu ( I wanted to wait till nvidia will release their 800 sries and then decide, but I just cant wait any longer :/ ). My question is, what CPU and mobo should I buy? I think I would prefer Intel, but I dont know which one? Can I use my old psu? Is it enought power? Just so you know, I am planning to play only on one monitor in 1080 (for now at least). I know that some of you may think that 780ti may be a little overkill, but I want to build this rig to last for atleast 3-4 years. Can you help me out guys? Can you suggest me something?

I wouldn't replace anything from an Intel Core i5 Sandy Bridge or later, or an AMD FX-8xxx. But a Phenom II is due for an update.

Since you're updating, the "Devil's Canyon" Haswell CPUs are the best you can get now. Core i7 4790K or Core i5 4690K, and a good aftermarket cooler. Get a motherboard with the Z97 chipset; that way, you're still good for an update to Broadwell on the same motherboard. AMD has nothing competitive with these.

But the best improvement you can make is to get an SSD. Bigger is faster, so go for the biggest you can afford from a top line: Samsung 840 Pro, Intel 530; I like the Samsung 840 EVO line for a bargain in SSD's. Have the games you're currently playing installed to the SSD.

Cooler Master GX are nasty obsolete Seventeam-made power supplies. I would replace; look for a Haswell-compatible Seasonic-made or Delta-made PSU. (Seasonic sells under their own name, but many power supplies with other labels are Seasonic. Delta doesn't sell to consumers under their own name. Finding out who actually made a particular PSU can be challenging.)

Last edited:
Hmm, i'm sure this PC could handle W3.

I dearly hope they do some W3 gameplay on it!

Meanwhile i sit here listening to my GTX 660ti cry everytime it seems W3 screenies or gameplay :(

Hi guys!

I know it's too early but I am planning on buying a new PC and I have found one which I could buy. However not sure if TW3 would run on that. Here are the specs:

MB: Asus B85M-G
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.7 GHz turbo
GPU: GTX 750 2GB
RAM: 8 GB 1600MHz DDR3

So what do you guys think? Would TW3 run on that (at least on medium settings)? Thank you in advance! :)

Yes, most likely you could run it with medium settings. But this computer has pretty huge GPU bottleneck. Reccomend you to buy one with i3 and better GPU.

Even though dat wolf fur is pretty tempting the 770ti is out of my price range so I have decided to get a 290x, namely this one http://www.pcgarage.ro/placi-video/gigabyte/radeon-r9-290x-oc-windforce-3x-4gb-ddr5-512-bit/. I have also decided to wait until Black Friday because there might be a discount and DA:I is coming out only a few days earlier...it should probably also run TW3 on max settings. Too bad those bitcoin miners are hogging the cards up...the price might have come down a bit

...I wonder how it will behave with VR though...

Last edited:
Hey guys! This is my first post but i've been a long time lurker on these forums, and this thread in particular.

Guy N'wah I've found your posts very informative, and i would like your opinion on this new gaming rig i'm planning to buy this year after Christmas.

This is the link: http://www.globaldata.pt/pt-PT/pr/GAMER-TIER4/Computador-Global-Gamer-Elite.htm#.U_-TUPldX_E

The site is in portuguese (i'm a fellow contryman of your own Jose Teixeira :) but i guess you can make out the components...

Just a quick rundow:
PSU Corsair Modular CS-650W M
Intel Core i7 4790 (3.6GHz) Socket 1150
Motherboard MSI H97 Gaming 3
Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600MHz HyperX Fury Black
Water Cooler CPU Cooler Master Seidon 120V
Western Digital 1TB SATA III 64MB HDD
SSD Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SATA III
Asus GTX770 DC2 OC 2GB DDR5

I'm planning on swapping out the GTX770 2GB for a GTX870 if the price difference isn't too steep, when the 800 series comes out. If it is i'll swap it for a GTX770 4GB version (it's only about 60€ more).

I'm also on the fence about buying the Z97 instead of the H97, as well as the K version of the i7-4790. Will the overclocking make that much a difference with this processor?

I'll add some months later more 8GB of RAM just for overkill :p

And also, just out of curiosity, if I later add another card for SLI what would be the recomended PSU power?

Thanks!

I think my PC will run it pretty much smoothly.

CPU: AMD FX 6100 (probably the wost component)
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A.DS3
Memory: 8GB
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 OC 4GB DDR5 256 bit
PSU: Cooler Master V700
Also have a Cooler Master T2 CPU cooler. Almost forget it, I will play at 1600*900.

Yes, most likely you could run it with medium settings. But this computer has pretty huge GPU bottleneck. Reccomend you to buy one with i3 and better GPU.

Thank you! I think I will probably wait till next year to buy a new PC and then I will buy a better GPU too, maybe a GTX 760 or a GTX 770.

Hey guys! This is my first post but i've been a long time lurker on these forums, and this thread in particular.

Guy N'wah I've found your posts very informative, and i would like your opinion on this new gaming rig i'm planning to buy this year after Christmas.

This is the link: http://www.globaldata.pt/pt-PT/pr/GAMER-TIER4/Computador-Global-Gamer-Elite.htm#.U_-TUPldX_E

The site is in portuguese (i'm a fellow contryman of your own Jose Teixeira :) but i guess you can make out the components...

Just a quick rundow:
PSU Corsair Modular CS-650W M
Intel Core i7 4790 (3.6GHz) Socket 1150
Motherboard MSI H97 Gaming 3
Water Cooler CPU Cooler Master Seidon 120V
Western Digital 1TB SATA III 64MB HDD
SSD Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SATA III
Asus GTX770 DC2 OC 2GB DDR5

I'm planning on swapping out the GTX770 2GB for a GTX870 if the price difference isn't too steep, when the 800 series comes out. If it is i'll swap it for a GTX770 4GB version (it's only about 60€ more).

I'm also on the fence about buying the Z97 instead of the H97, as well as the K version of the i7-4790. Will the overclocking make that much a difference with this processor?

I'll add some months later more 8GB of RAM just for overkill :p

And also, just out of curiosity, if I later add another card for SLI what would be the recomended PSU power?

Thanks!

I like most of that. I really like Corsair cases. A Z97 motherboard instead of the H97 would be a big step up, giving you overclocking and SLI options. The Samsung 840 EVO is a very good SSD, not an 840 Pro, but better value overall.

For SLI with two cards like that, figure on an 850 watt power supply.

Weaknesses: the hard disk. The difference to get a WD Black or Enterprise (RE series) would be worth it. And I think the water cooling is more trouble than it's worth.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice Guy N'wah. Just one more question about i7 4790K. Lot of people are saying that buying i7 just for gaming is waste of money. On the other hand I heard that some games already are very CPU demanding, like for example ARMA 3. What do you think about it? To bad CDPR still didnt gave us any specs.

Taken from TECH-POWER-UP site;

The GeForce GTX 970 and GTX 980 will be based on NVIDIA's new "GM204" silicon, derived from its new "Maxwell" GPU architecture, which debuted with the mid-range GeForce GTX 750 Ti. NVIDIA is expected to outline the two cards on the 9th or 10th of September, 2014, at various media events held around the world. The company is expected to formally launch the two on 19th September. The GeForce GTX 800 series could continue to include OEM and mobile-GPU parts based on either "Maxwell" or "Kepler" GPUs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can't wait for prices because of rebranding from 8x to 9x

Hi guys, my current system for almost 4 years now is:
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H v2, AMD Phenom II X4 980BE (3,7Gh), 8GB DDR3-1333, Club3D Radeon HD6850, 128GB SSD

So I'm thinking to try out the game first, see how I like the graphics on med-high and then probably upgrade the HD6850 to a MSI R9 270x (2Gig), because so far this system handled everything (Crysis3, FarCry3...) very well on 1920x1080p besides Ultra settings or high AA (and the MB does not support AM3+, so going for an AMD FX-8350 is no option). Playing on Ultra would be sweet, but High settings will probably do it for me (and my wallet).

Do you think I should do it that way, or save up and go i5-4670+ Socket 1150 MB (plus the R9 270x, which will definitely be bought), or even wait for the R9 3xx series?
A much higher GPU is no option for me because I dont want to pay too much for electricity.

Also I noticed that in the shown game trailers, the game ran far from "fluid" ( on a probably strong system), should that make me worried or do you think, upgrading the graphiccard alone could do the trick?
Thx in advance!

Taken from TECH-POWER-UP site;

The GeForce GTX 970 and GTX 980 will be based on NVIDIA's new "GM204" silicon, derived from its new "Maxwell" GPU architecture, which debuted with the mid-range GeForce GTX 750 Ti. NVIDIA is expected to outline the two cards on the 9th or 10th of September, 2014, at various media events held around the world. The company is expected to formally launch the two on 19th September. The GeForce GTX 800 series could continue to include OEM and mobile-GPU parts based on either "Maxwell" or "Kepler" GPUs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can't wait for prices because of rebranding from 8x to 9x

This marketing move can only mean there's something on, either for this upcoming generation of cards or the next one..

The only reason they're calling the new generation 9xx is to catch up mobile graphic cards name which are 9xx.

The only reason they're calling the new generation 9xx is to catch up mobile graphic cards name which are 9xx.

Pretty much. If they even switched to the 22nm process they might be able to make the argument that the cards deserve to be called the 900 series, but that's not likely to happen. Now, if they would only release the damn thing instead of talking about it! The way it's going and how long they're taking, they will be renaming it the GTX 1080P series next, and it will still be just talk........Nvidia don't seem to care about the desktop gaming market anymore.

Thanks for your advice Guy N'wah. Just one more question about i7 4790K. Lot of people are saying that buying i7 just for gaming is waste of money. On the other hand I heard that some games already are very CPU demanding, like for example ARMA 3. What do you think about it? To bad CDPR still didnt gave us any specs.

The Core i7's (8 "hyperthreads" really = 4 cores with 8 thread contexts) don't really come into their own until you hit loads that exceed 4 threads. To date, games generally haven't done that, making the extra thread contexts and the extra $100 or so you paid for them not really useful.

I have a Sandy Bridge 2700K that can run Witcher 2 at 75 fps and run virtual machines in the background. But not everybody needs to do that.

While we've been talking about upgrading for TW3 purely hardware wise, I want to ask a question out of curiosity; Is anyone going to upgrade any other parts of your gaming setup for TW3? Like monitors or audio components (sound cards, headphones) and stuff like that to get the "ultimate" experience.

Atm, I'm probably going to buy a 27" 1440p PLS/IPS monitor around October/November. Qnix QX2710 Evo 2 and ASUS PB278Q are at the moment the strongest contestants. Really tempted by the Qnix. Seems like the large majority of people love it, and it's considerably cheaper vs the Asus. But it comes with a shorter warranty (1 year vs 3 on the Asus) and since it's a Korean monitor, if something does go wrong, you need to ship it back there. It also has a lot less features. Well it barely has any to be honest. Like, at all..

I also recently bought a proper soundcard (Creative SBZ) and planning on getting a new pair of quality headphones very soon as well (AKG, Sennheiser or something like that) to get the best possible audio experience with TW3 (and other games as well)

Sorry if this is a bit off topic. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom