"Price of Power" Expansion Set Officially Revealed!

+
According to the trailer, the coin is exclusive to the pass offer, and cannot be obtained elsewhere.
Can I say that I'm really disappointed by this? I'm supporting the game since Open beta. supported eSports event every single time buying cosmetics (and I have mostly everything that came out since then)
I have enough scraps and powder to scrap an entire premium collection on day one, BUT, the coin is ONLY available if I'll buy the package. Sadly, I will definitely NOT speding more than 50 euros to get a single cosmetic (given the fact I will be able to scrap all the remaining cosmetics on my own)
Really sad, I would have been happy to purchase the coin (and I assume also so many old guard players). This purchase politics is ridiculous

The Cash Cow says Moooohh(ney). To remove set-kegs was a highly questionable choice regarding the whole ingame economy. Now it's clear, they have no intention anymore to be an f2p friendly game. Times up. Either you allready got enough ressources or you gotta pay.
Luckily for me I am allready bored with gwent and don't play regular anymore, so I don't really care. I think I sad it befor but I will say it again:
This path has no future. If Gwent should be a long lasting and succesful game, including an e-sport scene it will become necessary at some point to limit the cardpool in some way. Its just not possible for new players to build a competitive collection when the pool is to big, becoming highly unatractive.
The dummy card (wildcard) mechanic works pretty well with Legends of Runeterra. This could be an option, but seriously I have no hope left, the car is running downhill and is speeding.

Anyway price of ccgs and cosmetics are a whole mystery by itself:rolleyes:

Back to PoP: Wichfinder seems a bit strong (7 body) , probably would be better balanced at 6 wich is the new standart for such pricy engines ???

I like the Crowntoken but:
1) should be Novigrad Crown (not Syndikat). The offical currency of Novigrad and common in the whole North.
2) more uninteractive coins could nasty... oh well. I will love to play it and will hate everybody else for doing the same:ohstopit:

feel free to ignore my jibberish thoughts and confused rants and have a nice evening and hopefully a fun new expansion

Can I say that I'm really disappointed by this?
Yes, you may. As an Old Guard player myself, I can certainly understand your disappointment. Players are certainly welcome to offer constructive feedback, and respectful criticisms. Community input has frequently helped direct Gwent's path.

To be fair, CDPR has been trying to maintain a delicate balance in Gwent for quite some time. (I think it's safe to say the game has been rather an experiment, and a learning experience, from the start.) On the one hand, the REDs want to offer attractive incentives for players to order this pass; however, on the other, they also are trying to stick to their philosophy of only offering aesthetic items for those incentives. In this cases, where the incentive is bound to a larger purchase, inevitably, some players are disappointed or frustrated.

Ideally, I would hope, however, that, were players to express their opinions, and suggest that items like the coin be made available as a separate purchase, CDPR might consider offering it again, perhaps at a later date in the Shop. No promises of course, but it's always important to post feedback, to let the Gwent Team know what players think!

I love this game AND The Witcher's universe but didn't like this announcement. It's like a Pay 2Win expansion. I don't mind to expend some money, in fact I buy the Premium journeys to support the game but I think this is too much. If don't buy this combo packs I won't be at the same stage that the other players.

The only thing that holds any real appeal to me in the 50€ pack is the cards, and that only because they're premiums -- so I'll pass for sure.

Yes, i would pay the 50/60 if the cars are worth it.

The new reveals seem lame to me. Grandma Witchfinder card looks like it was a different card at first which they altered and they failed.

Coins as artifacts? To quote Geralt: 'C'mon!'

The Cash Cow says Moooohh(ney). To remove set-kegs was a highly questionable choice regarding the whole ingame economy. Now it's clear, they have no intention anymore to be an f2p friendly game. Times up. Either you allready got enough ressources or you gotta pay.
Luckily for me I am allready bored with gwent and don't play regular anymore, so I don't really care. I think I sad it befor but I will say it again:
This path has no future. If Gwent should be a long lasting and succesful game, including an e-sport scene it will become necessary at some point to limit the cardpool in some way. Its just not possible for new players to build a competitive collection when the pool is to big, becoming highly unatractive.
The dummy card (wildcard) mechanic works pretty well with Legends of Runeterra. This could be an option, but seriously I have no hope left, the car is running downhill and is speeding.
Good thinking. However, as much as someone like you may wish the card pool to be smaller now, CDPR can't just take the cards out of the game because people paid real money for them at some point. So the collection in this version of Gwent will keep growing in the near future.

I predict that when Gwent will have too many cards to manage, in a year or two, they will introduce Gwent 2.0 and stop the support of the current Gwent. In this case people would not be able to claim anything back from CDPR and just remain with an abandoned game and tons of cosmetics in hand. And then it will start all over in Gwent 2.0 - expansions, cosmetics, etc. This process will never end. It's a conveyor that allows the game devs to be employed and bring profit to CDPR.

Good thinking. You see, CDPR can't just take the cards out of the game because people paid real money for them at some point. So the collection in this version of Gwen will keep growing in the near future.

I predict that when Gwent will have too many cards to manage, in a year or two, they will introduce Gwent 2.0 and stop the support of the current Gwent. In this case people would not be able to claim anything back from CDPR and just remain with an abandoned game and tons of cosmetics in hand. And then it will start all over in Gwent 2.0 - expansions, cosmetics, etc. This process will never end, it's a conveyor that allows the game devs to be employed and bring profit to CDPR.

it's already hard to manage, too many cards.

When i buy cards, and later on they get altered in art(e.g. removing snakehead) or buffed/nerfed or revised al together. This is also not what i paid for....

Your vision might be correct, Gwent 2.0.... i didn't even think of this till now.
Post automatically merged:

Maybe the reason buggyness isn't a problem, but a raison d'être to start Gwent 2.0...

When i buy cards, and later on they get altered in art(e.g. removing snakehead) or buffed/nerfed or revised al together. This is also not what i paid for....
I share the disappointment in the art changes but alteration of cards is always a possibility. It's an online game and we don't have any control. We can only mod them, to a degree.

I'm disappointed that I will have to wait until November in order to use my gold to get kegs which will have all three of the card sets in them. I was expecting to use my gold in the next day or so and get an expansion set of kegs, not have only access to 1/3 of the expansion set.

Your vision might be correct, Gwent 2.0.... i didn't even think of this till now.

Maybe the reason buggyness isn't a problem, but a raison d'être to start Gwent 2.0...
Current Gwent is Gwent 2.0, actually. And it's failing miserably. And not because of 2 rows instead of 3. The problems appear and grow, yet devs simply keep adding new cards. It's like throwing stuff into a house on fire hoping some of it will putt off the flame. Spoiler - it won't.
I've always bought expansion packs since they became a thing. Not to get cosmetics - I rarely change them from the ones I have. Not even for the kegs- for I played long enough to have more resources than I can spend. But this time I simply don't want to. I'm playing Gwent for the tiny amount of fun still left in it. But every "bot" playing a netdeck, unitless, mill or reverse-mill sucks this fun away regardless of the match result. Sad to see the game you loved dying like this.

I share the disappointment in the art changes but alteration of cards is always a possibility. It's an online game and we don't have any control. We can only mod them, to a degree.
I don't mind these changes, it's just the argument 'you cannot remove cards, because i paid for it' which is false. I paid for a card with a snakehead, not it is altered, or i paid for a 4 power 4 prov card but i got nerfed etc etc. Altering this is not a problem, this means removing cards from the game isn't a problem as well. Just do it.

Sometimes i play full premium deck and the game freezes or some cards turn non-premium. Now the expansion is cool, don't get me wrong here, i also don't mind the price. It is just that it is all premium, will the game freeze more? Or will this be a road towards a revision of Gwent itself, Gwent 2.0, as StanislavOZZO pointed out could be a possibility.

So your deck will be useless ad will your collection of trinkets, but Gwent 2.0 will solve spaghetti code problem which need to be looked at, of course after the hack and the stealing of the source codes, they will HAVE to go to Gwent 2.0. Is it a ca$hcow mooohve or necessitiy?

But this time I simply don't want to. I'm playing Gwent for the tiny amount of fun still left in it. But every "bot" playing a netdeck, unitless, mill or reverse-mill sucks this fun away regardless of the match result. Sad to see the game you loved dying like this.
i feel you, same for me

I like the Crowntoken but:
1) should be Novigrad Crown (not Syndikat). The offical currency of Novigrad and common in the whole North.
This is very good point imo. Much more lore friendly. So, I would like to call CDPR to consider this change before actual release of the expansion. Don't know, what form would be more suitable - Novigrad C. / Novigradian C. - though.

The witchfinder:

From my perspective she is comparable to NG´s Emhyr. Her deploy is much stronger and those little syndicate crowns might perfectly synergize with Townfolk and it can be seen as a coin limit of 12.
Regarding her passive ability: Emhyr has much more synergizing cards (Thirsty dames, spy benefitters, coup de grace). However, one could argue that bounty has more value than spying. Spying is typically used in engine decks whereas bounty is currently mostly used in control decks + enough spenders.

Synergizing cards: Of course Graden as he directly benefits immense from the bounty. Furthermore, the witch hunter Executioner. Cards like Whoreson´s Freakshow will be key to eliminate the bounty targets. Additionally, some of the removal crime cards will do their job. Additionally, one might use Azar Javed as a defender to protect her and Whoreson´s Freakshow.
As already mentioned Townfolk might also be a consideration du to +3 of the syndicate crowns
Dependent on the strategy the following leaders have benefits:

• Off the books for Tribute discount for Graden, Moreelse and Tamara (?) (+ additional tribute cards)
  • Blood Money to have one big damager for bounty cards but high risk from overprofitting
  • Pirate´s Cove for the spenders
  • Lined Pockets when you go for the Townfolk
Main challenge: One idea might be to go for a witcher hunter heavy deck + Tamara Strenger. But then you made face the challenge to have an appropriate amount of spenders. Furthermore I see the risk that one has a hand with many bounty givers but not enough damage dealers.
All strategies except Townfolk might significantly struggle against veil-heavy, purify heavy, deathwish or non-unit opponent strategies. Furthermore SK self damage might also be a challenge.

Vigiliantes

That´s exactly what the bounty archetype needs. A card which benefits from each bounty placed on the opponent side. Additionally they have the witch hunter tag which might be a consideration for Tamara Strenger.

Synergizing cards: Comparable to The Witchfinder but no Townfolk synergy

Main challenge: Also comparable to Witchfinder. Additionally I want to highlight that specific self-wound deck running into Witchfinder + Vigilantes might be a big benefit for your opponent as he can place the units he wants to be damaged to get the self-wound benefit.

Last edited:
While I personally am able to accept the new system of new cards releasing, I am kinda empathetic with the dissatisfaction of some people here at the same time. But I can see the difficulty of releasing 26 cards pool kegs obtainable the standard way (100 gold).

At the same time there is the Arena mode kinda lying waste, one of which problems is the lack of attractive rewards. What about making some use of this fact?

Truth to be told, I don't have concrete proposal how exactly this could look like. May be expansion kegs could exist from the very beginning but could be purchased exclusively for special (new) currency obtainable only in Arena mode (or maybe through some special events as well) till the final part of the expansion comes out and than this may switch to be purchasable for gold as normal. Or maybe you could be rewarded with a new card (randomly picked with lower chance for more rare cards) directly for specific result in Arena.

As I already said, I don't have the perfect recipe for how to do this, but I can definitely see a space in there.

Instead of artifact crowns on the battlefield, i would have gone with a rework of Vivaldi bank as a location card.
So she spawns a Vivaldi bank location instead of the crowns.

Vivaldi bank deploys for 1 coin and has order for 2 more. If used Resilience then order is 3 more because interest.

or add Cianfanelli Bank

Last edited:
Top Bottom