"Price of Power" Expansion Set Officially Revealed!

+
Wait, I misread and thought that he does damage equal to topdeck.
Does it mean that his deploy might not see any value even if there are units on the opp's board?
Now he seems even more clunky for me. :think:
Yes, Rience can end up being an especially expensive and fragile Elder Bear.
You can run Rico for him, however you if you play him before the end end of Round 3 and miss Rico he can get horrible value.
(Also if a unit gets boosted or damaged (e.g. Fee from Jacques) then Rico is missaligned).

I guess it's fun if you get you're hands on a opponent's Eist with Rience you can now do a BoG light combo while being on Devotion.

Last edited:
DeadMansTongue.png

And here NG gets a tool similar to Novigradian Justice (without running specific bronze bricks).
Edit: This is a very good thinning tool (the only downside is playing into tall punish), that should be an auto-include for Reverse-Mill and Hyperthin.

Last edited:
well, with all those thinning, i can see clogging/thinning shine again, but withou the use of roach, knickers and portal.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Regarding Rience - i've read most of the previous posts but i might have missed some, i apologize in that case - i think a lot of tactics have been discussed but nobody mentioned yet some of the advantages:

Yes, it sucks that the power of the discard must be the exact equal of the target unit, HOWEVER since it destroys and its not damage, it means this bypasses armor and shields completely.

Which makes Rience an amazing defender counter (NG has a few 7pt soldiers for 5pr), which is sad since NG already has the best defender counters (Yen Invo, Vincent VM, Vilgefortz, cheapest purifies, etc)

View attachment 11221808
And here NG gets a tool similar to Novigradian Justice (without running specific bronze bricks).
Edit: This is a very good thinning tool (the only downside is playing into tall punish), that should be an auto-include for Reverse-Mill and Hyperthin.

I like it. It's a creative way to add consistency that's not just "play whatever you want".
Having the choice between adding consistency to Roderick or just thinning more will be useful.
It's also got some fun uses like banishing 2x Thunderbolts for 16 points or go full lunatic and banish your entire Ball for 15.

Which makes Rience an amazing defender counter
No no. :) He is too expensive for that role and might need an extra turn for that. You don't want to give your opp an extra turn.
There are already purify options or Yen. And you don't want to kill a defender in case it can be resurrected.

Why not just wait how Rience performs? If he should perform badly they will buff him anyway, they probably didn't gave him 13 provision without a reason so why not wait for the other changes with the Balance update, but considering his 13 provision cost I guess he probably could at least get 1 Armor to be out of bronze special removal range.
I honestly think it's a fine card. The game needs high risk high reward cards not just reward. And NG has plenty of options to make it safer, or even play it twice through Assire.
But instead of complaining on twitter devs should realize the reason they are getting these reactions is because they have left truly broken cards like Eist running rampant for months now. This skews the community perception of what a 11-13 provision card should be. "If Eist is 11 why is Rience 13?".

Guest 4375874

This.

There are already high-risk high-reward cards like Emhyr. But almost every deck in the current Gwent has plenty of tools to counter such cards.
But that's exactly how it should be, huge point swings should not be easily achieved. Emhyr is fine, so is Unseen Elder. You should have to be strategic in playing them and keeping them alive. Cards like Eist and even Foltest who's only condition is being next to a bronze to play for insane values is far too easy. His interaction with Dun Banner gives me Ethereal vibes. At least with ethereal you had to put tokens on the board to get value, this card makes it's own and is apparently ok.

@alfa20: All cards will exist in normal and premium form.
By buying expansion pass you will get them in premium form but you can craft or get from keg in any one.

I really don't understand why thinning (in any direction) decks can be considered good. Aren't those the most uninteracive decks? Clog (am I using the right term - decks that add cards to the opponents deck?) has to at least target something to put on top of the opponent's deck and maybe get some value of those on-top cards without removing them (Snake Mentor, who still has the most illogical ability, but works). While thinning decks just throw cards away or thin their own decks with... well, thinners. And now NG get even more thinning tools, this time even with additional benefits.

Dead Man´s Tongue
It has definitely a nice synergy in Hyperthin decks. So it can be a solid 8 for 7 if you banish two 4 provision cards. Also it can be used in round 3 to get some value out of high provision cards you could not draw. Nevertheless, I think their main target are cheap bronzes.

Synergies: Hyperthin, Alzur, Additional target for Gerhart of Aelle if Necromancy does not fit

Drawbacks: Very vulnerable to Mill and overthin, boosted unit gets vulnerable to tall punish, if you use Rience as a defensive round 1 boost tool obviously negative synergies.

What would probably fit fine into this archetype are cards which benefit from either being banished themselves or if other cards are banished

Last edited:
Top Bottom