"Price of Power" Expansion Set Officially Revealed!

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
I had a bad feeling with the reveals for this sub-expansion, now that all cards have been revealed, im definitely not happy with the direction for the upcoming times, i think we are going into an awful meta, unlike WotW which improved the game with original mechanics, less control-focus and improved diversity (with 2 black sheep, Kolgrim and Viy decks, so its not like it was perfect).

1. Binary cards are back!
Just like how many of the new cards are incredibly binary: they either play for way less than their provisions if countered, and way above if not.
The whole NR and ST archetypes are based on this type of risk.

2. Control might run rampant.
SY is the only of the 6 factions that got further support for control. And it was already dominating the meta (for anyone who watched the Masters this weekend, they know how many times pirate's cove was banned). Also, SK didnt get much control, but it wouldnt be the 1st time the new SK cards of an expansion arent able to take away the popularity of SK warriors (WotW SK Witchers, looking at you)

3. NR rework.
For those that dont know, NR was ALREADY fully reworked, less than 2 years ago, in the summer of '19, so it seems its the most problematic faction for the devs, its either overtuned or underperforming.
I cant say for sure how these reworked cards will do, but the charge archetype is dead - charges allowed you to stock up and play them later, sometimes this was more effective, now you cant, you need to use them immediately or you're wasting points, so they're like any other engines, its a bit of faction identity that is lost.

Perhaps its a trade-off: less versatility but with way more value (reworked old cards also tend to be "powercreepers", overtuned just like brand new cards)

(EDIT)
4) Return of 2 cards 1 turn. (and this pairs up with point 1. i mentioned)
I think it was like 8 months ago that they removed the leader abilities that allowed these type of combos, because they were unhealthy for the game.
And somehow, they decided to bring them back, although with a lot of risk - just look at NR and ST's legendaries, not to mention many of the bronzes, including the neutrals, they are opening a door that might make balancing way harder for them in the future, it should've stayed shut.

Last edited:
But you also need to consider that Megascope is a low 0 Tempo play in the round you're playing it, so I wouldn't exactly call that later 10 point GS spawn that impressive.
You can literally play it right after your opponent passed and have those 10/8 (bear witcher also. Or marauder in 3rd for 8 as well actually marauder wont) points. With a 4 provision card. If opponent passes right after my megascope im still getting a full value of it. Sure you can not put it on an empty table, but so you can not with a lot of other spells. From the first sight, it is really hard to see any adequate explanation of this.

Now cards with 4 provisions have a ceiling of 10 points (Elven Scribe, Megascope)...
They took the time to make Vedarmaker + Scepter combo OP but they didn't remember to make him a druid lol.
I don't even want to comment on this anymore. :shrug: Pointing out the obvious is tiring and ultimately won't serve any purpose.

Last edited:

Guest 4375874

Now cards with 4 provisions have a ceiling of 10 points (Elven Scribe, Megascope)...
They took the time to make Vedarmaker + Scepter combo OP but they didn't remember to make him a druid lol.
I don't even want to comment on this anymore. :shrug: Pointing out the obvious is tiring and ultimately won't serve any purpose.
Why would you want SK to add Vedarmaker to their arsenal?

[...]

I don't know anyone that plays Gwent that doesn't love opening kegs. If you're worried that people are sick of opening Bronzes, then boost the drop rates.

I also suspect that the experience of opening Ultimate Kegs, with the aim of obtaining expansion cards, but only getting duplicates, will be much worse.

Price of Power is a set consisting of three story-related expansions for GWENT with the main theme of magic and how different factions seek out, fight for, or exploit its power. The first expansion of the Price of Power set — Once Upon A Pyre — will introduce 26 new cards: 4 cards of different rarities per faction and 2 neutrals. New abilities and gameplay mechanics will also be making their way into the game, bringing fresh and powerful synergies to take advantage of in battle. Once Upon A Pyre will release on June 8th, 2021 on all supported platforms.

Watch the official explainer for more info:

For pre-orders and daily revealed cards check out: playgwent.com

Expansion cards are definitely not worth the best part of $100.

Wow, to find out that "She Who Knows" is actually the "mother" of the Crones, the Whispering Hillock :oops:
Very nice lore bomb!

so I just tried "she who knows" and it does not seem to work. I played the card in a row which has more than 25 points and it was protected by a defender. At the end of the round, it gives resilience to no one. Every card went into the graveyard.

What did I do wrong ?

so I just tried "she who knows" and it does not seem to work. I played the card in a row which has more than 25 points and it was protected by a defender. At the end of the round, it gives resilience to no one. Every card went into the graveyard.

What did I do wrong ?
Any screenshots to help show the situation?

What did I do wrong ?
Maybe you used Carapace to give Veil to the unit which should have gotten Resilience and Veil will not allow Resilience to stick (cause it's a status and Veil prevents any status from working).

I was playing thrive so no carpace. Anyway 2nd match I tried, Opp connection cut and I lost the game, very buggy

Finally 3rd time it worked.

And seems in a thrive Konschkey deck, it is not that good.

Guest 4375874

I was playing thrive so no carpace. Anyway 2nd match I tried, Opp connection cut and I lost the game, very buggy

Finally 3rd time it worked.

And seems in a thrive Konschkey deck, it is not that good.
I tried to warn people about this, it's not that good in any deck. The meta is dominated by a handful of decks....SK, NG and SY/ST which are control decks. How do you think sabbath fares against those factions.

1. You will have difficulty maintaining 25 pts in a row. in R2 you will not have enough pts so if you don't draw her in R1 you are at a significant disadvantage. Remember, no one passes R2 anymore...it's bleed bleed and go for the win.

2. To get She who knows to work you have to overcommit in R1 to maintain the row value, so even if you achieve it you go in R2 empty and against certain decks like NG, she will just be taken and used. Odds are you will not have any counter for She who knows because MO doesn't have locks or any reliable tall removal without breaking devotion.

Sabbath is the most disappointing addition so far. I give it a week before we're back to Viy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[...]

I don't know anyone that plays Gwent that doesn't love opening kegs. If you're worried that people are sick of opening Bronzes, then boost the drop rates.

I also suspect that the experience of opening Ultimate Kegs, with the aim of obtaining expansion cards, but only getting duplicates, will be much worse.

You need to go with faction kegs if you want expansion cards. The Ultimate kegs will be too heavily diluted with neutral cards.

I thought I actually did quite well this morning. 25 assorted faction kegs got me 2 epics (duplicates, sadly), 5 rares. 3 commons.

Since I had just managed to finish collecting a full deck about two weeks ago, I didn't have the resources to open much more. :p

I tried to warn people about this, it's not that good in any deck. The meta is dominated by a handful of decks....SK, NG and SY/ST which are control decks. How do you think sabbath fares against those factions.

1. You will have difficulty maintaining 25 pts in a row. in R2 you will not have enough pts so if you don't draw her in R1 you are at a significant disadvantage. Remember, no one passes R2 anymore...it's bleed bleed and go for the win.

2. To get She who knows to work you have to overcommit in R1 to maintain the row value, so even if you achieve it you go in R2 empty and against certain decks like NG, she will just be taken and used. Odds are you will not have any counter for She who knows because MO doesn't have locks or any reliable tall removal without breaking devotion.

Sabbath is the most disappointing addition so far. I give it a week before we're back to Viy.

Funny thing I did not play against NG or SK. I played against Carpace and got my she who knows to round 2 successfully and he/she used P. Dive on it and it is gone.

This is my favorite card this expansion and I just wanted to try it. It is very expensive. The provision cost should be lowered considering how easy it is to counter it.

i am playing casual so far, and getting good results with her.

Well, of course everyone is trying the new cards and, untill meta back (with all the remove shit) i can win some games (in fact i think half of my games i am winning with her).

Also, just to add, i am using cave troll to protect it

Guest 4375874

i am playing casual so far, and getting good results with her.

Well, of course everyone is trying the new cards and, untill meta back (with all the remove shit) i can win some games (in fact i think half of my games i am winning with her).

Also, just to add, i am using cave troll to protect it
So did I. ST easily counters Cave Troll. SY and NG either counters or just take it. Against these factions...SK, NG, ST, SY... unless you're playing maybe rank 6 or above where players aren't very experienced, you aren't getting the value you need against seasoned players.

Top Bottom