Priority?

+
Game begins

Player A plays Biting Frost

Player B plays Savage Bear

Player A plays Skjall

What happens?

Great question. This has to do with the calculation order for Gwent cards. The simple version of this: First is debuffs, second is abilities, third is buffs. (A few exceptions such as self buffs go before debuff glyphs)

In your scenario, Player A placed a frost glyph on the board, which sets the unit strength to 1 for all units. Thus, when Player B plays Savage Bear, it will drop to 1 Strength - since this is not a weather immune unit. Then, when player A Plays Skjall, the weather will drop him to 1 strength, then his ability - wounding himself for 3 strength - will destroy Skjall and remove him from the board. Removal of Skjall creates Craven Revived, a token card that gives +2 to all other units on the board. Craven Revived will then be debuffed to 1 strength as he appears on the board, and will add 2 strength to Savage Bear, who ends up as 3 strength. Savage bear keeps the buff from Craven Revived because the Savage bear was first affected by the weather, but then can have his power added by card abilities in the order of calculation.

I haven't seen card being removed from the board (table) if something takes strength down. Cards simply will stay on 0 strength and will not go lower.
This is not Hearthstone and this is not Health Points but Strength Points...that would worry me if you could do that...kill cards like that.

That is way you have all these clear weathers and boost card to use...so you can use it in your turn and put back Strength on higher level.

I haven't seen card being removed from the board (table) if something takes strength down. Cards simply will stay on 0 strength and will not go lower.
This is not Hearthstone and this is not Health Points but Strength Points...that would worry me if you could do that...kill cards like that.

That is way you have all these clear weathers and boost card to use...so you can use it in your turn and put back Strength on higher level.

Units now, when goes to 0 STR or lower are destroyed - sent to Graveyard. This is why all cards with 0 STR had been "buffed" to 1 STR.

Last edited:
You haven't been here for a while ? Units now, when goes to 0 STR or lower are destroyed - sent to Graveyard. This is why all cards with 0 STR had been "buffed" to 1 STR.
I haven't seen any information about that, yes cards has been change but no one ever from CD Red said you can destroy cards like that. If you really can do it like that, means :

* CD Red turned great original (completely new fresh idea) into Hearthstone (Huge minus from me to the game rating)

* CD Red broke the game, why? (below) (another minus)

* You can now destroy even up to 10 cards with two simply bronze cards (any weather bronze card plus any bronze card that remove 1 or 2 strength - they add huge number of these cards lately so would be very easy to do that with two simple moves)...yes, you could react quickly with "clear weather" but if you don't have any - game is over.

That would turn into stupid game, you would be force play it only with factions immune for weathers, that great tactical game would turn in a game without strategy...you know your opponent gonna play clear weather now if he have any, you know he gonna try go it the same to you (too big predictability)...and on the end all the weathers and clear weather they do not have a sense of being in the game and the same time they MEGA overpowered. If they really did that, they broke the game.

No one besides Monsters and possibly Skellige will be using Weather cards, Better focus on himself to create the strongest field possible (except for Control Decks like Face-Down Scoia'tael ?), yet IMO its true that Stammelford's Tremmors (Remove 2 STR from all opponent's units) seems OP, Lacerate (Choose a row and remove 2 STR from ALL units on it) should be the only card of such kind.

Last edited:

mjul

Forum veteran
I haven't seen any information about that, yes cards has been change but no one ever from CD Red said you can destroy cards like that. If you really can do it like that, means :

* CD Red turned great original (completely new fresh idea) into Hearthstone (Huge minus from me to the game rating)

* CD Red broke the game, why? (below) (another minus)

* You can now destroy even up to 10 cards with two simply bronze cards (any weather bronze card plus any bronze card that remove 1 or 2 strength - they add huge number of these cards lately so would be very easy to do that with two simple moves)...yes, you could react quickly with "clear weather" but if you don't have any - game is over.

That would turn into stupid game, you would be force play it only with factions immune for weathers, that great tactical game would turn in a game without strategy...you know your opponent gonna play clear weather now if he have any, you know he gonna try go it the same to you (too big predictability)...and on the end all the weathers and clear weather they do not have a sense of being in the game and the same time they MEGA overpowered. If they really did that, they broke the game.

It has been confirmed and is official.

And while many in the community had doubts about the wounding/damaging system. It turns out that it works. The damage is varied and it really brings another depth of strategy into the game. With the various abilities that buff units to very high strength sometimes, that early removal is very good and often needed. It also allows for more varied plays like the Scoia'tael trap system etc.

Don't push it away until you've tried it.

Now that Scorching has been limited (ATM to only 3 cards - "Normal" Scorch which is now Silver card, Borkh Three Jackdaws (Gold) and Geralt:Igni (Gold)) due to the fact that it was limiting Possibilities, even after making Commander Horn Silver and making Dandelion NR only, it's still possible to make your Units very strong, so such kind of Wounding mechanics needed to be implemented, and while it at first sight resembles Damaging al'a HS, it works somewhat different, also:
- It allowed to create mechanics of some NR Siege Machines,
- It made Skellige's Berserkers more like REAL Berserkers,
- This is only a camoufleged way of controlling STR on the board, for examples:
a) Morenn - has 4 STR and removes 3 STR from 2 units on opponent's field - so after using her it's like you gain (up to) 10 STR,
b) Myrgtabrakke - has 5 STR and removes 3, 2 and 1 STR from 3 Units, so after using all 3 "shoots" on opponent's units, it's like you gain (up to) 11 STR.

EDIT: One more thing, we are going Off-Topic, so if it's necessary, let's continue this conversation in appropriate topic

Great question. This has to do with the calculation order for Gwent cards. The simple version of this: First is debuffs, second is abilities, third is buffs. (A few exceptions such as self buffs go before debuff glyphs)

In your scenario, Player A placed a frost glyph on the board, which sets the unit strength to 1 for all units. Thus, when Player B plays Savage Bear, it will drop to 1 Strength - since this is not a weather immune unit. Then, when player A Plays Skjall, the weather will drop him to 1 strength, then his ability - wounding himself for 3 strength - will destroy Skjall and remove him from the board. Removal of Skjall creates Craven Revived, a token card that gives +2 to all other units on the board. Craven Revived will then be debuffed to 1 strength as he appears on the board, and will add 2 strength to Savage Bear, who ends up as 3 strength. Savage bear keeps the buff from Craven Revived because the Savage bear was first affected by the weather, but then can have his power added by card abilities in the order of calculation.

So from what I understand, when Craven Revived is played it gives the Savage Bear +2 str and the Savage Bear goes to 3 str. But is Craven Revived killed by the Savage Bear? I am sorry if I missed something obvious. :p

So from what I understand, when Craven Revived is played it gives the Savage Bear +2 str and the Savage Bear goes to 3 str. But is Craven Revived killed by the Savage Bear? I am sorry if I missed something obvious. :p

Craven Revived I believe doesn't give strength to things already on the board but instead is a unique mechanic they'll be adding more of later down the line.
Anything played onto his row after he's on the board gets +2 Strength.
So similar to olden Encourage but not retroactive

Ah, I see. But is Craven Revived set to 1 by the weather and killed by the Savage Bear or is it dealt 1 damage by the Savage Bear and then set to 1 from the weather?

mjul

Forum veteran
Ah, I see. But is Craven Revived set to 1 by the weather and killed by the Savage Bear or is it dealt 1 damage by the Savage Bear and then set to 1 from the weather?

I'm not sure. I think it logical it would be weather first, then bear. So it would come to the board, get reduced to 1, killed by the Bear.
Even if it had an ability that buffed the bear somehow, it wouldn't be able to do so, since it would get removed to the GY before that ability triggered.

Guys, thing is, from KTS the effect of units played BEFORE the effect of the weather glyph set the strength to one.

Then, when player A Plays Skjall, the weather will drop him to 1 strength, then his ability - wounding himself for 3 strength - will destroy Skjall and remove him from the board.

Like i said, in the KTS it was quite the opposite; first the ability, after the weather effect drop to 1.

You can check it here, at the 5:20 mark. The player plays stennis in frost, first he drawn, than the strength is set to one:

[video]https://youtu.be/my5IeoyjjGM?t=5m20s[/video]

Still, the doubt remains because it will everithing come down to wereas the skjall ability trigger first or the bear ability triggers first... or even if they trigger at the same time, than both of them would be destroyed at the same time, what would be very cool if you think about it;

Last edited:
Guys, thing is, from KTS the effect of units played BEFORE the effect of the weather glyph set the strength to one.

Like i said, in the KTS it was quite the opposite; first the ability, after the weather effect drop to 1.

You can check it here, at the 5:20 mark. The player plays stennis in frost, first he drawn, than the strength is set to one:

[video]https://youtu.be/my5IeoyjjGM?t=5m20s[/video]

Still, the doubt remains because it will everithing come down to wereas the skjall ability trigger first or the bear ability triggers first... or even if they trigger at the same time, than both of them would be destroyed at the same time, what would be very cool if you think about it;

I understand. However, think card draw ability =/= Buffing/wounding ability. They are two separate and distinct abilities - one affects power and one does not. The one that does affect power, would IMO play after it is weathered.

Other card that effect priority becomes a big deal is Dol Blathanna Trapper

For example:

Game begins

Player A plays Dol Blathanna Trapper in the opponent siege row

Player B plays Priscilla

What happens?

Does Priscilla effect takes place before it is destroyed? Does the random cards played from the deck also takes place before the dol blathanna effect, or it will depend of the card played?

Suddenly with all these new card and mechanics, thing that were almost irrelevant in the original withcer 3 gwent becomes a BIG deal, mainly priority effects.

Probably the developers will have to release a "Book of Rules" of some sort to clarify the effects speed tiers and chain effects, just like the old yugioh had, and suddenly gwent is not that simple of a gmae anymore.

For example:

Game begins

Player B plays Priscilla

What happens?

Does Priscilla effect takes place before it is destroyed? Does the random cards played from the deck also takes place before the dol blathanna effect, or it will depend of the card played?

Suddenly with all these new card and mechanics, thing that were almost irrelevant in the original withcer 3 gwent becomes a BIG deal, mainly priority effects.

Probably the developers will have to release a "Book of Rules" of some sort to clarify the effects speed tiers and chain effects, just like the old yugioh had, and suddenly gwent is not that simple of a gmae anymore.

Traps trigger first. so in this case priscilla would get destroyed before her ability triggers. If priscilla had for instance 6 strength. She would go down to 1 and then her ability would be triggered. i don't believe the units that enter the board would get damaged because trapper was already triggered once.

Last edited:

For example:

Game begins

Player B plays Priscilla

What happens?

Some time ago, Rethas was answering identical question, but with Wild Hunt Riders instead of Priscilla, he said that in such cases, Trap triggers first, removing STR from 1st Unit, and then the other units (in that case, 2 Wild Hunt Riders) are played.

Last edited:
Top Bottom