Pro ladder is not a healthy competitive environment

+
Pro ladder is not a healthy competitive environment

Can we do something about people that never achieved rank 21 in Pro Ladder? I just played a guy at lvl 80, which means he played around 1000 hours, that had his highest achieved rank 19. He was playing a meme Sabrina - Iris - Foltest's Pride deck... in PRO LADDER. What's the point of Pro Ladder then? Since when is grinding bad players a good thing?

PS: And no, this is not a rage post as i did not lose the game. I'm just really tired of playing against meme decks, played by people that arent supposed to be part of a competitive ladder. And he is definitely not the first guy in this situation as i already met quite a bunch of them.

Attachments

• photo202141.jpg
    photo202141.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Btw, Im level 100 and spend 1000 hours in gwent (and 1/2 time i was just afk). Just letting you know.

Pro ladder is not competitive because if you just lose 400 matches and gain MMR cap, you will be in top 200. Yes, just starting 400 games and insta quit will bring you Crown points, because many ppl plays less then 400 games (they have real life probably) needed for MMR cap. In last days of season players just insta-quitting their games to gain points.
So this mode is broken and needs change.

ZenaRose;n10663111 said:
Btw, Im level 100 and spend 1000 hours in gwent (and 1/2 time i was just afk). Just letting you know.

Pro ladder is not competitive because if you just lose 400 matches and gain MMR cap, you will be in top 200. Yes, just starting 400 games and insta quit will bring you Crown points, because many ppl plays less then 400 games (they have real life probably) needed for MMR cap. In last days of season players just insta-quitting their games to gain points.
So this mode is broken and needs change.

How do you level up without playing then? You cannot gain levels by being afk. I've played since early closed beta, put 2k hours in the game at this point and im lvl 94 right now. You might not be able to properly see your clocked hours, because GOG doesnt count the hours you spent in game, without opening the GOG client before starting the game.

And back to the main topic, if they dont do something to clean up the ladder of players that shouldnt be there in the first place and improve the ladder by changing the rules of the MMR system, we will never have a proper competitive scene.

Last edited:
Pro-ladder is the new casual.
Casual is the new pro-ladder.

Seriously though, casual needs to be "fixed" before pro-ladder.

Well, I've reached level 80 with less than 1000 hours. You definitely don't need 1500 hours to get there.

Judging from your reports I can see how the situation isn't good for competitive players.

And yeah, Casual needs to improve too.

devivre;n10663331 said:
Well, I've reached level 80 with less than 1000 hours. You definitely don't need 1500 hours to get there.

Judging from your reports I can see how the situation isn't good for competitive players.

And yeah, Casual needs to improve too.

I'll change my main post and say that he has around 1k hours played, instead of 1.5k hours played. I was comparing the ratio of levels / hours played with mine, but at the same time, my stats are a bit flawed as well since i've played a lot before they reset all player stats (at the start of open beta) and my GOG client didnt count around 1k hours since i previously used to open the game without the GOG client.

This isn't addressing the pro ladder part of the thread but the "casual" part brought up by a couple others here. I think part of the problem is these faction challenges. I myself am guilty of heading over to casual after an hour of hard fought wins in ranked for some easier wins to level up for the challenges. I think the challenges essentially encourage this with their incredibly high numbered goals in such a short time.

(Sorry for being not-really-on-topic)

I run Sabris Henselt deck in Pro ladder too. It's fun and can be competitive if you don't brick your hand. I also played quit a bit of it in regular rank last season and had a winrate of 65% with it, which isn't too bad. Love seeing that 100+ point swing in long round 3. What you think is bad about the Pro Ladder is actually it's strength. There are lots of different decks you play against rather than the same old net decks you see in regular ranks. Not only that it doesn't matter what MMR you are at, you will always get different variation of decks to play against rather than the the same old top tier archetypes.

jsachun;n10671301 said:
I run Sabris Henselt deck in Pro ladder too. It's fun and can be competitive if you don't brick your hand. I also played quit a bit of it in regular rank last season and had a winrate of 65% with it, which isn't too bad. Love seeing that 100+ point swing in long round 3. What you think is bad about the Pro Ladder is actually it's strength. There are lots of different decks you play against rather than the same old net decks you see in regular ranks. Not only that it doesn't matter what MMR you are at, you will always get different variation of decks to play against rather than the the same old top tier archetypes.

You forgot to mention at what rating and out of how many games, you had that 65% winrate, because I can almost guarantee you it was not even close to 4k. And if you somehow managed to reach 4k on the normal ladder with that, it can only go downhill from that point on. Let's be honest here, that deck is far from being competitive.
Let me give you another example of a meme deck that I found yesterday in Pro ladder: guy with monsters goes 4 cards down round 1 just to use Imlerith Sabbath, 2x Mardroeme and 1x Adrenaline Rush on him, so I can kill him with Cleaver next round at 11 strength and Shirru him next turn when he renewed. Basically, the guy built a deck with a single win condition, which was to buff Imlerith Sabbath till he could fall asleep at his PC.
I'm sorry, but I'm really missing the competitive part about the Pro ladder.

Last edited:
I played around 355 hours and I'm almost level 62. It's possible that I will reach level 80 with less than 1000 hours

inacion;n10672781 said:
I played around 355 hours and I'm almost level 62. It's possible that I will reach level 80 with less than 1000 hours

You'll have to gain more xp per each level so it increases the time it takes for you to achieve each new level. It's possible to achieve it as i never said it's not, but that wasn't really the point of this thread. That was just a small and polite analogy that he played the game enough to be able to reach a maximum rank for Pro ladder, if he actually deserved it.

Last edited:
sevenzh;n10672851 said:
You'll have to gain more xp per each level so it increases the time it takes for you to achieve each new level. It's possible to achieve it as i never said it's not, but that wasn't really the point of this thread. That was just a small and polite analogy that he played the game enough to be able to reach a maximum rank for Pro ladder, if he actually deserved it.

I reach for 3 consecutive season, best MMR 4200, never played on pro ladder. Reach rank 20 or more is for the professionals, I'm a casual player. This season, so far, I have 70% win rate, but I start on rank 3. Now win rate will drop... Played only 150 ranked games so far, probably is the amount of games of a professional player in a single day...

jsachun;n10671301 said:

95%+ of my games right now at 4200 MMR are against henslet, alchemy, brouver or skellige boats and swords/bears

It's probably because most of the pro's are bored of the game since RNG began to rule. And thus they started to play casual or arena for the 'fun' factor instead. Or just troll pro ladder.

The problem with the pro ladder is that it is designed for people who wants to enter competitive play in gwent and given the size of the community right not it is around 50 people that realistically have a chance. So everyone apart from those people are basically MMR fodder for all the people at the top hence why you see a lot of meme decks there because you get to test out these decks in a more diverse environment.

Snake_Foxhounder;n10686351 said:
Modes in Gwent are all turned around. Casual is more competitive than "pro" ladder.
Nah, I don't think so. It's impossible to test decks in casual, because level of play is so low that you can win with any non-disastrous deck. But yes, I also noticed that some people test their decks in pro ladder that supposed to be more competitive but it makes it sort of less competitive as a result. On the other hand, the deck variety there is awesome, as you can see that a lot of people make decks themselves, which is a pleasant diversion from regular ladder where usually one or two decks dominate.

Top Bottom