Pro-nun-ci-ation

+
Pro-nun-ci-ation

Greets all,I have a running debate with a friend of mine (whom I now have hooked on this character as well ;D) on the pronunciation of "Geralt."I mySelf, am leaning toward "Jer-ult" (as in Gerald, but with a T) or "Grrrr-ault" (Grrr, as in a growl) or any other variation thereof.I am sure I can find an interview with one of the Devs on youtube, or the "movie" (which I am trying to avoid 'til I read ALL of the stories), but I am curious as to how YOU (those on the forum) pronounce it!It always sounds like "Jer-ult" in my head for some reason, and it just seems natural that way...opinions?Be Well,A.·.

There was a discussion about that sensible subject here ;) I prefer the pronunciation Geralt with a go-"g" and after-"a". But I remember a (making-of ?) trailer with Michal Madej when he used the English/American pronunciation of Geralt.

I stand (well, I am sitting) corrected.It makes more sense, now that I think on it, to pronounce it "Ger-alt" (as opposed to Jer-alt)...not withstanding Polish dialect, but as well as in a "Fantasy setting."Thanks for pointing me to that thread. :)

Here you have how "Geralt" is pronunce in Polish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT7B4RhG_Bw It's from ehmm..mhmm.."film" made by Polish national tv (don't look at dragon ;) ).If you listen carefully, twice Geralt name is mentioned (e.g. when little girl is screaming his name).

zimi said:
Here you have how "Geralt" is pronunce in Polish: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT7B4RhG_Bw It's from ehmm..mhmm.."film" made by Polish national tv (don't look at dragon ;) ).If you listen carefully, twice Geralt name is mentioned (e.g. when little girl is screaming his name).
Thanks. I worked that out a while ago when I watched the ehmm...urrr...movie. ;D It is sad though, Geralt and the stories really are fantastic...I wish someone with a decent budget and good script writer (Sapkowski?) would take this on...

Judging from the podcasts with the developers talking, I would say it is Jer-alt (or Jer-ult... they are very close).

In the russian books he is pronounced as Gue-ral't. Since the sound Je and Gue both exist in the russian language, I think the G sound is more appropriate.

Well, I think that even developers (strictly speaking - Michal Madej) aren't sure :). If I am right, I've heard Michal pronunciating by G like in "go" and like G in english alphabet. But in Poland we are of course pronunciating by G like in "go", and, AFAIK in game Geralt is pronunciated by G like in "go", but I'm not sure.

Try GIRR (as in girl, with a flap or roll on R)- AH(as in Father)-LT, that will wbring you closest to Polish

Top Bottom