Pro rank and mmr

+
Hello everyone,

I am thinking about spending more time in Gwent, maybe trying to play seriously in the next months. My question is about the existing strategies to be in the top players.

Right now I do not understand nothing about this mmr system. I played rather poorly this week, mainly because i'm quite stubborn with decks that are not working (but since I am proud, I need 10 defeats in a row to admit that my idea was bad). However from time to time I play with decent decks and I managed to reach pro yesterday.

And then I saw that I was top 200, I cannot find any explanation to this. Yes I played the 25 games for 4 factions, but I assume players at R0 did the same ... My win rate is quite terrible, and I am a rather mediocre player, so I have three hypotheses:

- The pool of players is rather low
- I played too much
- People are only playing one faction

Or maybe I am missing something. What is the best way to get into the 200 (or 500,as it seems to be the main thing) ? I do not understand how it works. Do you have any information about it ?

PS : a few examples of what a "pro" player did yesterday : I played Birna with 10 cards, I added a duplicate in a shupe deck, i forgot to play in R2... Hehe

Hey, remember that at the end of the season everyone not top 500 in pro rank, gets demoted, so in the first 10 days of the season, there are not that many with pro rank.
Besides, the moment you reach pro rank, your rating in each faction is set to 2400, since you played at least 25 matches with 4 factions, you reach pro rank with your full rating unlocked, no matter if you lost a lot before hitting pro rank, or won 100% you still get there with a total of 9600 points (4 * 2400).
Thats the worse pro rating you can have, with 4 factions fully unlocked, so your position in the rankings when you reach pro rank, tells you how many in pro rank unlocked their full rating. If you dont improve your rating, you should expect your position to drop dayly, given that more of the top 500 from last season will unlock their full rating, and new promoted will do as well as they start to play in pro.
Hope its clear, otherwise let me know and I will explain further.

As I see your MMR is only 9 over 2400 in one faction so far. That basically means that about 250 people in pro rank completed their prerequisites in 4 factions so far.

By the end of the month, if you don't improve, you can't be in top 500 most probably you'll end up below top 1000

I hope I don't hijack this thread, but I have difficulties with all the numbers on my screen. I don't really understand how they are working together, what their exact task is and all the things around ranking.

ranking.png

So this is my screen. I know that the top value is the faction mmr, the middle value the highest mmr (???), and the bottom value the number of matches. And here my confusion begins. How can there be a higher mmr than the faction mmr. And why is this even necessary? Or the matches. For months now I play Skellige, but only the last 3 days Nilfgaard. Yet, SK says 18 matches (I played more like 50 or 60 or so), and NG says 10 (which could be accurate, I switch between ranked and season mode currently). And why is there a seperator followed by a much smaller 5th faction table? Shouldn't they all be equally important? There are 5 factions, plus no-faction units, right? And what happens, when matches is at 100%? Or when , for example, that Skellige number field with the purple line is filled?

You see, I'm more than confused and have no clue what this all means. Please, if you're reading this and can explain everything a bit more elaborate than that >cough, cough< "map legend", please consider taking the time to do so. I would even offer to let you win on our encounter, if I weren't so competitive :D

1st one is current MMR. It is the points that is used in matchmaking. Win a game it goes higher, lose a game it goes lower. The base value is 2400.

There is a 25 games requierement to get full value. You can't be fully assesed until you complete all 25 games.

The number in the middle with an up arrow is "peak mmr". It is the value used to calculate your position on the leaderboard. The sum of the 4 best factions out of 5 is added to make a total. (Neutral is not a faction)

So in order to improve your score you have to:

Play 25 RANKED games in at least 4 factions.
Get your current MMR higher than your peak, that means have a positive win/loss ratio and win some games in a row.

Get your current MMR higher than your peak, that means have a positive win/loss ratio and win some games in a row.
Oh, so THAT's why I sometimes read "winning streak" after a match! This has already helped me much more than the legend! Thanks. But there's one question left: What happens, once the maximum value (where a maximum exists) is reached? 25 matches is done relatively quickly, what will happen after that. Will the 26th game be used, and an older match thrown out, or is it totally neglectable once I reached 25 on 4 factions?

One clarification, 2400 is base if you are in pro rank, when you start, your base rating is 1000 in each faction, but you need to unlock it playing, and as you win or you lose, your current rating grows or shrinks, but your peak ranking is used for ranking tables.
After I finished my first season in the ladder my rating reseted to 1500, not 1000, and from what I saw, for everyone else the same happened, and after I promoted to pro rank, my rating reseted to 2400. (so, your rating resets after each season ends, and if you reach pro rank).

Oh, so THAT's why I sometimes read "winning streak" after a match! This has already helped me much more than the legend! Thanks. But there's one question left: What happens, once the maximum value (where a maximum exists) is reached? 25 matches is done relatively quickly, what will happen after that. Will the 26th game be used, and an older match thrown out, or is it totally neglectable once I reached 25 on 4 factions?
Actually, the winning streak has a different meaning, you start at rank 30, and you start progressing after you win games, you get one part of the tile with each win, at lower rankings, you dont lose with a defeat, but later you start losing parts of the tile, and up to rank 7 i think, when you win 3 or more games in a row, you get a "winning streak" and get 2 parts of the tile instead 1, after rank 7, winning streaks dont give you extra tiles.

So, thats the rank, but you have in parallel your rating, as I said, you start with rating 1000 in each faction, as you win or lose you increase or decrease, and after 25 games you finally unlock those 1000, that by that time probably is higher than 1000, after that each win or lose increases or decreases your rating, but what is used as i said is the peak from each faction.

Thanks, @QCteamkill and @Gercho7
That cleared it up a lot. In fact, not really understanding the coherencies was a big factor in avoiding ranked mode when I started playing. That shouldn't be so, people should understand that ranked mode is the better choice for starters.

Now I can build my mmr without stress and much later could also decide to play pro rank. Although it seems to be a tough place, given that you're basically resetted each 30 days, when not top 500.

The rating resets for everyone, each 30 days, not only for pro, you should focus on building the decks you like, learning from your mistakes, ranking and rating will come eventually, don't worry about those till you have a firm grasp of the game.

... you reach pro rank with your full rating unlocked, no matter if you lost a lot before hitting pro rank, or won 100% you still get there with a total of 9600 points (4 * 2400).

This seems to be the key point ! If you play your 25 games before pro rank, you will unlock the full 9600 points, which is a rather good score if we consider it corresponds to a 50% winrate.

Thanks for the tips !

This seems to be the key point ! If you play your 25 games before pro rank, you will unlock the full 9600 points, which is a rather good score if we consider it corresponds to a 50% winrate.

Thanks for the tips !
Well, this is partially true, since your position depends on your peak ranking, 9600 is actually the worse ranking you can have with 4 factions fully unlocked (even for 0% win rate, you will never be below 9600)
The difference is, if you are new, in your first 25 games with a faction most probably will have worse results than your next games, so most probably you will lose a big percentage of those games, so if you are in the ladder, use those games the moment after you rank up, so you can lose only one tile, even if you go 8-17, and use those 25 games to get to know your deck, and improve it, so, once you unlocked 25 games with your 2 weakest factions, use your 2 stronger to rank up to pro, and hopefully you will have made all mistakes before hitting pro, and then you can start grinding rating points.

Top Bottom