Problem for gtx 970 users?

+
Moderator: Drop this line of insult and counter-insult right now, or the moderators will drop it for you.

No matter how justified you may think you are in making a post that accuses anybody else of "rage" or tells them to "be a man", you are not, and you will understand that as a condition of using this forum.

not sure any more needs to be said, but I am running 2x Gigabyte G1 GTX970's in SLI and have had 1 CTD in all my game play and that occurred whilst I was alt/tabbing back and forward to my browser, so might not even be an issue with the game. Have been playing since game was released.

I just want to repport that I have no issues with Witcher 3 since the latest patches. I played approx. 100 hours now. No crashes anymore with my MSI GTX 970. Everything is updated. Drivers and OS. I have an i5.

Which Windows Version do you use? What Motherboard do you have? Would be very helpful to me, please answer ^^

Last edited:
After a lot of testing (and not much actual playing and enjoying the game) I've found out what makes the EVGA gtx 970 shit itself.

It's particles.

Look up at the sky in kaer morhen, it crashes because of the fog. Contract swampy thing full of mist and fog, hello black screen and buzzing noise. Played a couple hours staying in Velen and novigrad, no crashes.

Went to Kaer Mohren, looked up at sky, wham it crashed within a second.

Knock down a wall or some stalactites with Aard, lots of dust everywhere, it crashes.

Will try the suggestion to roll back drivers but I doubt it will help.

There is a TDR hotfix beta driver released. Not sure whether it does resolve the issue, but it is intended to. Use at your own risk until user reports are available. For a couple of short sessions it was stable, and I had more consistent disk activity and shorter loading time (notably intermittent activity with 352.86)

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/849203/announcing-geforce-hotfix-driver-353-38/

My system has been tolerably stable while playing W3 (a few dozen crashes in nearly 500 hours). Had one game save that wouldn't load (it consistently stalled when Geralt started talking to himself immediately after the scene started ~ a checkpoint save in Aremas's basement - a standard save without talking worked fine from a point 7 minutes earlier, and the same point was passed during gameplay both previously and subsequently ~ it was only the save that was failing at that load point).

Nothing special in terms of hardware.
ASUS P8Z68V LX, i5 2400, 16GB usable RAM DDR3 1833, MSI GTX970 4G. SuperFlower Gold 650, 2SATA HDD, 1USB HDD, SATA DVD RW. AOC G2460PG (GSYNC 1080p) Win7x64 Home Premium.

When Win10 is released and stable it will permit using all 32GB of system RAM.

Last edited:
Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970. I've explored White Orchard and almost all of Velen and Novigrad, had three crashes in total (where the game kicked me to desktop and became unresponsive but sound continued), in random locations, 135 hours playtime.

I have the same card...I had maybe 3-5 BSoD crashes 1.04 and earlier...<knock on wood> ...haven't had a crash one since they fixed the 1.04 issues.

This is the card I have:
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GDDR5 Pcie Video Graphics Card, 4GB

No issues on my 970, playing with about 10 mods and haven't had any crashes since swapping out my 570 for a 970

Might have found a solution to my problem as I haven't experienced a crash in the last few hours, even visiting crashing 'hotspots' like the foglet contract cave and around kaer morhen.

I opened up my PC case for more ventilation, case fans on maximum, and put the fan profile on my gtx 970 to 70%. Also, underclocked it a little bit. It's alright when I wear my headphones.

I just find it interesting how this game was making my 970 absolutely shit the bed when temps according to MSi afterburner appeared normal (between 60-70C), and my gtx 580 was beng pushed to over 90C and never crashed once for me. Other games were just fine for my 970.

Might have found a solution to my problem as I haven't experienced a crash in the last few hours, even visiting crashing 'hotspots' like the foglet contract cave and around kaer morhen.

I opened up my PC case for more ventilation, case fans on maximum, and put the fan profile on my gtx 970 to 70%. Also, underclocked it a little bit. It's alright when I wear my headphones.

I just find it interesting how this game was making my 970 absolutely shit the bed when temps according to MSi afterburner appeared normal (between 60-70C), and my gtx 580 was beng pushed to over 90C and never crashed once for me. Other games were just fine for my 970.

What was CPU temp? GPU can push the CPU heat up and CPU fail if improper cooling is in your system. Or possibly your GPU is faulty and not reporting the right temps... IF you figured out its a heating issue then work on that ;) The open case solution isn't that good of a fix as it doesn't really add more ventilation and can kill airflow, proper fans and such will work much better in that respect... So you are using MSI afterburner installed but doing no OC with it? odd...

Exact same issue as OP, same card (EVGA GTX970 SC). Windows 8.1, 32GB ram, SSD, i3570k CPU. Steam version of game.

No issues with any other game. This game is unstable as hell for me. Doenst just crash to desktop, actually reboots machine. Have a good power supply more than enough for the system. GTX card running stock settings, Mobo/CPU also stock (no overclocking anywhere).

I've actually reached a point very early in the game I cannot proceed beyond due to crashes (the Wandering in the Dark quest).

I opened a ticket, sent dxdiag and .sav game info. Hopefully devs can find something. I'm very disappointed in the games stability. LOVE the plotline. Fun and immersive to play. All is unfortunately spoiled by the reliability issues.

I have an EVGA GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 (Evga has far too many models...)

I haven't had the problems OP speaks of. It runs smooth for me, with the vast majority of bells & whistles turned up, @ 1920 x 1080
Good luck finding your solution.

You should not need to do any of this, most especially underclocking your card! Are you using a custom-built or off-the-shelf system?

Try some tweaked drivers from sites like Guru3D. It sounds like you have a hardware/driver conflict somewhere.

When you install new drivers, be sure you are doing a CLEAN install. You may also want to use DriverSweeper before and CCleaner before and after the driver installation to ensure there are no "rogue" .DLL files and whatnot hiding out and wreaking havoc on your system.

If you're online while playing over Steam (or whatever) restart and play in offline mode. I've encountered a lot of problems with certain titles in the past that were entirely due to Steam trying to get involved in my game with social networking and achievements and all that fluff.

Lastly, be sure to run the game as an administrator.

Might have found a solution to my problem as I haven't experienced a crash in the last few hours, even visiting crashing 'hotspots' like the foglet contract cave and around kaer morhen. I opened up my PC case for more ventilation, case fans on maximum, and put the fan profile on my gtx 970 to 70%. Also, underclocked it a little bit. It's alright when I wear my headphones. I just find it interesting how this game was making my 970 absolutely shit the bed when temps according to MSi afterburner appeared normal (between 60-70C), and my gtx 580 was beng pushed to over 90C and never crashed once for me. Other games were just fine for my 970.
Well, CDPR corrected the issude with crashes for me. I had a GTX 660 before the 970. It crashes continuously when playing Dragon Age Inquisition at the cutscenes. It disappeared after seven month - when I gave up waiting for a fix and bought the 970. In that case the recommende systems specs was lowered too much in order to sell more copies. That was obvious. But with Witcher 3 the developers fixed the issue. I taike my hat off for that. Just beware of what you buy. You can't trust the recommended and miminum system specs on the back of the cover anymore. Not in all cases. If you don't have a solid PC hardware configuration I think you can try almost everything with no luck sometimes. Never buy cheap hardware. I know some doesn't have the money for expensive hardware, but it does pay off. Next thing for me is a better motherboard and CPU. This is my weak point at the moment. But when I have good hardware I at least know when the failure is on my side or the game developers.

Thanks for the useful suggestions!

Now, my problem is, that while gaming (doesn't matter which in-game situation) it suddenly stops playing the background music, (every other sound keeps on playing) but nearly all textures on the map and inventory go black. And as soon as I try to interact with someone, the game freezes for a few seconds, with noises (of branches and stuff) still going on, until it starts running again like nothing ever happened.

Do you please have some sort of idea what the problem could be?

I'm running on:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
i5 3570 stock
ASUS GTX 970 OC Strix (with the stock "oc" it's being delivered)
16GB RAM
the PSU and everything works just fine, because I've only encountered this particular problem while playing Witcher. And the temperatures of all my PC parts are more than fine...
I have updated the BIOS, graphics, sound (onboard) and Microsoft Visual whatever driver.

You're response would be VERY appreciated!

After DOWNCLOCKING my GPU, both the base clock and the memory clock, by 70 - 100mhz the issues as described are still affecting my gameplay - BUT, they appear far less often... what the heck?
Has anyone an idea as of why this is? thx in advance...

While I understand that many people are not going to be comfortable doing this, you can also disable User Account Control completely, then log in to Windows as an administrator. This gives any program you install and run complete access to Windows and system resources. It can also create a lot of pathing problems for previously installed software that was not installed as an administrator.

If you do this, be careful when surfing the net and downloading, as UAC is fairly good at stopping most forms of phishing software, spyware, and malware from activating. Definitely perform regular scans using 3rd party software when UAC is off. Lastly, it's not a good idea to turn UAC on-and-off -- decide whether you want it or not and then leave it alone.

At your own risk, but i find it really helps for gaming, modding, and tweaking to turn that @#$%! off.

Well, CDPR corrected the issude with crashes for me. I had a GTX 660 before the 970. It crashes continuously when playing Dragon Age Inquisition at the cutscenes. It disappeared after seven month - when I gave up waiting for a fix and bought the 970. In that case the recommende systems specs was lowered too much in order to sell more copies. That was obvious. But with Witcher 3 the developers fixed the issue. I taike my hat off for that. Just beware of what you buy. You can't trust the recommended and miminum system specs on the back of the cover anymore. Not in all cases. If you don't have a solid PC hardware configuration I think you can try almost everything with no luck sometimes. Never buy cheap hardware. I know some doesn't have the money for expensive hardware, but it does pay off. Next thing for me is a better motherboard and CPU. This is my weak point at the moment. But when I have good hardware I at least know when the failure is on my side or the game developers.

LOL. It's pretty obvious it's an overheating issue. Whether his gear should or not doesn't matter. It is/was. Pretty common problem for users to think something shouldn't be happening, and yet, wow, it is. At least he experimented.

Unfortunalty, I have some issues since I have installed my new 970 (Zotac Extrem Core edition).
The game crash during cut-scene (always at the same sentence). I didn't have that kind of trouble with my former MSI GTX770.

I do not have problems with other games like GTA5 even after few hours in row. So, I do not think this is a overheating issue.

My full configuration :

i7 3770k
Mothercard : Assus Z77
Ram : 16g
Windows 7 home edition 64
1t Hard drive HITACHI HUA721010KLA330
GTX970 Zotac - Extrem Core Edition.

It's always at the same time during the quest "Possession" on Skellige (in french sorry. Not sure about the title in English), When I have to discuss with Cerys about why she want the sword.

I do hope my post will help to fix this annoying issue.

Regards,

B

Last edited:
Top Bottom