Problem with Gwent? Getting owned by the AI? Want some tips? call: 0800-SCORCHED

+

Guest 3819236

Problem with Gwent? Getting owned by the AI? Want some tips? call: 0800-SCORCHED

Ask away. the team and I will do our best to help you if you are stuck or just have questions general questions about Gwent.

I have started doing a daily thing on twitter where I give tips from basic to more advanced stuff ( @Bacon_is_life ) within the character limitation...

Here you can find a full list of cards and where to find them: http://www.primagames.com/games/witcher-3/tips/where-find-every-gwent-card-witcher-3-wild-hunt

The team is glad that people are digging it. We put a lot of effort into it so that it would be more than just a "mini game"* :)

It's a pay 2 win mini game ;)

As of now there are no plans to bring it to iOS and other platforms, but only you have the power to make it happen.

not sure i would enjoy it as much on mobile. half the fun is looking for them and completing your collection.

My only grief with the game is that evryone in the game seems to have incredibly powerful and optimised decks and I barely wins with my cards atm.

The first round seems to be the most important, computer keeps putting in cards, and it's sometimes wise to no follow and just give the round. But then again, players have so much good cards that I often get crush in the last round with improbable 10p worth cards.

I'll get better, I'm not worried, but the learning / progress curve is steep. And yes, it's a pay to win obviously ;)

Overall, I prefered the dice game. At least this was "random". maybe I'll change opinion when I get better cards and more understanding of the game.

Can you even beat the Nilfgardian dude in Vizima (After you get there from White Orchard)? Because he seems to have some OP cards, tried going against him once and I thought I was doing great, until he started pulling cards twice the strength of mine.....

My OCD is killing me, I need to defeat him! But it looks like I'll have to go back there with a better deck.

Can you even beat the Nilfgardian dude in Vizima (After you get there from White Orchard)? Because he seems to have some OP cards, tried going against him once and I thought I was doing great, until he started pulling cards twice the strength of mine.....

My OCD is killing me, I need to defeat him! But it looks like I'll have to go back there with a better deck.

I've tried once, and seeing his cards vs mines, it was clear from the get go i couldn't win. My ocd will have to suffer this =(

Guest 3819236

Beating him with just the base deck and a couple of extra cards is possible. Try to focus on special cards like horn, it's not too expensive and allows you to double the strength of a whole row. Do that on your Siege weapons as it's Northern Realm strongest row (even better if you have a couple of Kaedweni Siege Expert).

any tipp where to find some players with kinda equal decks as the starter deck?

going in to the big city seems a bad idea as those guys have pretty strong cards, but maybe in some of the smaller villages?

Decoys are great. I carry all three that I've found, and relatively few weather cards.

My *minimum* face value is 4, and highest is 8... and so far no Northern Realms heroes... but I've always beaten all opponents I've found so far.. if not on the first match then on the second.

I go "heavy" on round one... and use weather cards to give a lead... depending on how he responds, I either strip out my best cards and forfeit round one... sometimes he passes early, then judicious use of weather and decoy cards can return most of my face strength to my hand, while still winning... or he might use too many cards trying for the round 1 win, and then lose the other 2.

I've had round totals above 70 in the last round, using Foltest the seige expert. Having faced it several times.... I really want the scorch card.

Guest 3819236

@Sethanor

Go see traders in smaller villages in Velen (rather than Skellige).

@Lieste

Decoy is a great way to go hard on the first round, bluff the AI into putting some strong stuff, then decoy your card. Thank you, goodnight see you on round 2 and 3 :)

Having 3 cards of the same type in your deck gives you almost a 50% chance of drawing it on the initial hand. If you rely heavily on a card, 3 of a kind in your deck is the way forward.

I beat the nilfgaardian on my 3rd try with the default Northern Realm deck. Both luck and good deck at hand helped. Luck, because he did not put hero cards (those unaffectable 10 point ones) one after the other as he did on my previous tries. Good deck, because i had those weather/magic cards and a spy card which i played with crucial timing.

Sadly, not everyone is as lucky as me. My friend was going for 7th try last i talked to him and he was hating the guy for all the scorch, hero, spy and power doubling cards :)

After that dude, peasents around Velen are no match. I guess I should get to Oxenfurt ASAP...

Before the release, i was a bit neutral to Gwent, but overall i'm liking it now.

Last edited:

Forum veteran
I've found spy cards invaluable. Use them all in the first round to give yourself a higher number of cards/options early on and let the opponent win that first round (but keep them playing long enough to exhaust their best cards). Beyond that, siege cards work great with Foltest's "The Siegemaster" doubling their value, too, and having one or two cards that can bring back "dead" cards can help to avoid your opponent knocking your strongest ones out of the game.

As of now there are no plans to bring it to iOS and other platforms, but only you have the power to make it happen.
On a scale of "make a bunch of forum posts" to "kidnap the entire RED team," what would it take for this to happen?

I'm thinking there could be starter sets and people could choose one or two unique leader cards, then play against other people with those special cards as the stake. Win a lot and have a powerful set of user-won cards, lose a lot and have to start over from the beginning. That way we can avoid ugly microtransactions while still having unique cards that are attainable out there. I'd gladly pay 5-10 bucks for a Gwent app that didn't try to nickle-and-dime me.

I tried this yesterday, like 30 times. In the 31th try I barely managed it to beat that motherplougher. In White Orchard I lost to the tutorial guy and I missed to buy the cards from the innkeeper (which is now gone, I hope I can get the cards elsewhere) ... and I didn't understand the game well at first. But yesterday I was eager to get more into it. But this Nilfgardian probably wasn't the best guy for this...

Compared to the basic Northern Realm starting deck his deck is way too overpowered. He has at least two superstrong cards with an attack strength of 10, which cannot be affected by weather cards. He has two or three scorch "trap cards". In general he has a deck that is strong and full of tactical possibilities, whereas Geralt (probably) has not something like this at this point.

So with the basic starter deck you need a lot of luck there and you have to make him play one of his strong cards very soon, skip (lose) the first round and then hope that he hasn't drawn the best cards from his deck.

And I agree with 227, the spy cards are quite useful.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I understand the difficulty against the AI in Vizima seems hard, but there are a few strategies that really help out.

Background: I am the programmer who implemented gwint, including the AI

I will try to heavily avoid spoiling exactly how the AI works while giving you concrete tips on how to increase your chances of success. Gwint is a game of strategy. You need to react to the current situation, because believe me, to a degree, the AI is playing the long game. It will gladly surrender if it thinks it will give him a bigger advantage in later rounds.

Here are a few tips for +70% win rate against the guy in Vizima

1) Buy the cards at the inn in white orchard. In fact, I always try to buy the cards when I get a chance. If you don't want to spend too much of your precious gold, look at the card tooltips and buy only cards you think you will use and cards of a single faction. Last I checked, you can get the version of Foltest that essentially gives him a free horn for seige row in the prologue inn. Considering the number of nice seige cards in Northern Realm, he has to be my favorite. The clear weather effect on Lord Commander of the North can be very powerful too.

2) Make sure to beat the gwint tutorial guy in white orchard, he will give you a card.

3) Try and keep 1-2 dummies in your deck (can easily have at least one by the time you reach Vizima).

4) You have a nice advantage when playing northern realm against Nilfgaard. While nilfgaard has win on draw, you get a free extra card after you win a round. Plan on this (and hope you don't draw poorly).

5) One good strategy is to try and get the AI to waste as many cards as possible. If you have a dummy (see point 3), you can open the first round with stronger cards. The AI is petty, and never likes being behind. Be wary not to start with your highest card however. If you saw him play a high card that's a non hero and you had a scorch, wouldn't you use it?

6) Spies are really good. I almost always throw them all out in the first round. It forces the AI to play a card (any card) to stay in the match and gives you one more card (total). If the AI decides (it makes random decisions :D) to surrender, you can play a weather card to reduce the spies you played to 1 and get a really easy win in first round.

7) Plan around weather cards. If you have a frost card, and you don't think you will use it this round, try and use your melee creatures before your ranged/seige. That way you know you can use it later without hurting yourself. The inverse applies, if you think you may use a weather card later in this round, don't play cards from that row this round.

8) Clear weather is an important card. Make sure to keep it until the end (unless you end up in a situation where it will make a big difference of course). When the AI weathers down your strongest row on the last round, you will be very glad you held on to it for your critical hour of need.

9) If you are afraid of scorch, only play cards of the same value or lower than your opponent. Remember, staying in a round is a gamble for both you and him. Keep in mind that scorch can burn multiple cards so avoid playing multiple cards of the highest value. The more damage scorch does to you, the more likely he is to use it against you. If you have to suffer the agony of scorch, try to force him to burn only one of them.

10) The AI will NEVER pass first after he has lost a round. If you've lost a round already, neither should you. Passing in this scenario, can guarantee you a loss that you cannot react to. Use this to your advantage (force him to play cards when he doesn't need to)

11) If you haven't lost a life gem yet, and you are far behind, there are a few tactics to consider:
A) If he hasn't surrendered yet, and you have some low cards (even weather cards that may hurt you more than him), considering playing them anyways to try and force him to burn more cards. Do NOT do this if these cards could have a major impact on the subsequent rounds
B) If he has surrendered, you need to decide how much it will cost you to beat him this round. Remember you are northern, so if you both have 5 cards left and one card will give you the win, you will have a draw bringing you back to equal footing on the last round. Remember that this can be an ideal time to use a dummy, even if its on a 1 point soldier. That's one point you can use for the next round.

12) Remember to use your leader ability. Leader abilities count as a turn so you can use them to stall / force the other player to keep playing.

13) Remember that this is a card game and there's always a bit of a luck factor. Laugh in the face of defeat and persevere, success is just around the corner.

Hopefully these tips/tactics will give you guys a better fighting chance.
If you have any more questions,
I will check periodically to answer them.

2 basic rules that I think are quintessential to staying efficient. :
1. If you are set to win a round try to win by the smallest margin. Why? You're basically doing two things: you're forcing your opponent to use as many cards as possible or their stronger cards to match you while you're using as few cards as possible and/or only weaker cards.
2. if you're going to lose a round make your opponent win it by the highest margin possible. Why? You want to make them waste as much strength as possible on a win you already are willing to give them.

What I usually do is try to lose the first or second round. Preferably the first unless I can win the first one with one or two cards max. Often times my opponent would try to win after that first round win in the second round and waste most of his cards. Simply following rule number 1 in this case means you're already bleeding him of his powerful cards which means an easy win in the third round.

Cards to look out for and cool synergies:
-try to have "medic" cards that can "resurrect" used cards. This is doubly useful when enemies play spy cards on your board because you can resurrect these spy cards and use them against your enemy the next round.
-the dummy AKA swap card is very useful for baiting your opponent into using strong units for a win you're already willing to give them, it makes them waste very powerful cards to surpass your own powerful cards that you will swap out at the end of the round anyway. This is quite devastating in the long run. You can also use these swap cards to get spy cards the enemy has placed on your board that you can use against them right away in the same round
-use weather cards that make your weakness even weaker. This might sound weird but if you have very weak infantry lineup while being strong in other areas holding on to a cold card will only make your infantry marginally weaker while potentially devastating their infantry line. A smart leader knows when sacrifices must be made for the greater good. For the opposite reason it helps having a clear weather card in case your opponent decides to turn that nice 4*6 siege row have into into a 4*1, you can even delay playing the clear weather card to bait your opponent into wasting cards on a win you're sure you'll get.
-any ability or horn card that can double the strength of a row can turn the tide of battle. Again, keep in mind rule 1, you want to bait people into using powerful cards and then crush their dreams at the end.

BTW, Damien, great job on this. It's really fun!

iirc at the beginning of a game it says you can redraw up to 2 cards. is there a way to redraw 1 or 0? I might be blind or otherwise blessed but I haven't found a way to do so.

So is the general idea to make your enemy waste all their good cards in one round and then leave 4 cards for the 2nd round so you can beat them? That's how it looked like to me.

Let me jump in as well :)

I helped design Gwent with Damien.

You can try to get the best of the first round to lure the AI but it can be effective in more the the first round.
For example if you see the AI is forfeiting the play a spy card - then they cannot Decoy that and use that against you :)

Also going for Siege weapons with NR is the way to go for the more high lvl NPCs - the free horn from the leader can make a huge difference in the deciding round.

i would love to see this as an iOS game, playing against real people would be awesome! (at this point i have a near perfect northern realms deck, just need to get enough cards to use another faction now)

Top Bottom