Problem with Gwent? Getting owned by the AI? Want some tips? call: 0800-SCORCHED

+
Ugh the innkeeper bitch at Seven cats inn can go eat rusty nails and screw herself with a pitchfork. She always has scorch cards and two hero cards and the rest are all 10s and 8s. I want to murder the foul bitch and her cats can feast upon her rotting corpse.

The most fun deck I play is Nilfgaard fraction and making use of the card draw ability. Leader ability grants drawing a card from the opponent's used cards to your hand.

In an ideal situation I play 1 to 2 cards of those. Then the AI usually passes since he got a big number. Also, the ideal opponent is using these cards as well so I can make use of decoys.

On round 2 I draw from his used cards and get another 2 cards while controlling his cards by destroying dangerous ones. Finally I can revive cards and if the opponent is Nilfgaard or Northern Kingdoms I then use his own card generators against him.

These loopholes are funny as hell. On top while I am building a big hand the AI is pumping out cards to the field. Usually I play a weather card and after that burn all his units at once. 1 or 2 hero cards make me win then. This one card is useful for it as well. Value: 7, 3 women, melee row, skull symbol. Kill (strongest) melee cards when come into play and total value of enemie's melee cards is 10 or higher (can't remember the name damn).

Unfortunately I face a bug atm which denies collecting new cards once I finish Gwent: Skellige style

The Velen merchants and craftsmen tend to be the easiest. Most seem to play with either the Northern or Monster pack. The guy at Vizima is a little difficult for early-game, if you're still learning, so if you have problems with him, go back and see him later.

And I would totally agree with the suggestion made by @chrispowers1010 on what to have in your deck. Also, be prepared to throw the first or second round if it'll leave you with the majority of the cards in the third one. It's a lot easier if you go for a lose/win/win or win/lose/win strategy rather than going all out in every round.

And make good use of those decoys, as you got them early. If your opponent plays a spy, grab it with a decoy and play it right back. If there's no spies in play, use it as part of a bluff - play a high card to force your opponent to do the same, then grab it back with a decoy. If your opponent then passes, play the high card again for an easy win. If he keeps playing, throw the round and you should now have the majority of cards.

Most games aren't won by who has the best cards, they're won by who has the most playable cards in the final round.

Yep, you're dead right about everything.

You win Gwent by having more cards than your opponent throughout a given match, which means stacking your deck with only the cards you truly need. There's no need for the stackable melee 1's.. at all. Get rid of those immediately. It's literally just wasting a chance at drawing the spy, or the decoy, etc.

Once you get into a rhythm of having more cards than your opponent, do not be afraid to throw the 1st or 2nd match.. because as long as you have more cards, you can win the 1st match and the 3rd match.. because the AI has run of out cards. Remember, if there's ever a chance to let the AI get a huge lead (or for you to), and have them Pass, it's ideal. You're playing an AI not a real person, so you need to trick them into passing and either make them run through their cards, or quickly win.

Gwent is a ton of fun. It takes some practice, but once you get into it and figure out the basics.. by half way through the game you won't ever lose. It'll get TOO easy.

Unfortunately I face a bug atm which denies collecting new cards once I finish Gwent: Skellige style

As I understand it, this is not a bug. There are only a certain number of cards Geralt can collect by playing random merchants, and it is far lower than the number of merchants around. The remaining cards need to be purchased, found through quests, or won in specific tournaments.

As I understand it, this is not a bug. There are only a certain number of cards Geralt can collect by playing random merchants, and it is far lower than the number of merchants around. The remaining cards need to be purchased, found through quests, or won in specific tournaments.
Well, then the quest simply won't advance for whatever reason. I played every NPC possible, bought every card from every merchant possible (I was snooping every nook for hidden NPCs like the loan shark, possible missed taverns and such) and finished both card quests for unique cards.

Then I don't know what I may have missed.

@shnabeltasse
Remember there are quests that reward you with Gwent cards that aren't really Gwent related quests, and these cards cannot be obtained by other means:

* John Natalis
* Fringilla Vigo
* Isengrim Faoiltiarna
* Iorveth
* Dandelion and two other unique regular cards

You get the first three ones when helping Zoltan to collect them; you get Iorveth in Skellige when doing a quest for one druid; you get the last ones when going to the masquerade party in the Vegelbund state with Triss.

Gwent is a ton of fun. It takes some practice, but once you get into it and figure out the basics.. by half way through the game you won't ever lose. It'll get TOO easy.

The blacksmith (or armorer, don't remember which) in An Skellige is fun to play against. He has a great deck. You could throw some lousy cards in your deck to make things more random and challenging.

Oh yeah and Witcher 3 is a fun sidequest to play every now and then to get new cards.

Another Guent Question?

Hi

Here's something that I don't get.

It's my turn, I have a higher score then my opponent, say I have 30 and he has 18.
I pass, then he plays several cards until he gets a score higher then mine.
It pops up and say he wins the round?

Why, didn't I get a chance to play again, he played after I passed?

It never works that way the other way around, if he passes when he's ahead and I play a card that raises my score above his it doesn't say I win.

He just plays another card.

I had a second round game today where his score was 4 and mine was 5, I passed wanting to see what he was going to play and it suddenly said that I won the round 5 to 4?

So it isn't consistent, sometimes I can pass when ahead, and sometimes, if I do I lose the round even if I could have played a higher card.

I don't get it.

Mike

Last edited:

No, you can't play once you've passed. You need to wait the next round.

It never works that way the other way around, if he passes when he's ahead and I play a card that raises my score above his it doesn't say I win.

Impossibile. As i already said, you can't play another card once you've passed.

So it isn't consistent, sometimes I can pass when ahead, and sometimes, if I do I lose the round even if I could have played a higher card.

I don't get it.

It seems you don't get how every card game works. It's absolutely normal to pass a turn even if you have a low score. It's called strategy.

It seems you don't get how every card game works. It's absolutely normal to pass a turn even if you have a low score. It's called strategy.

This is what I like about gwent, I don't really play (and haven't really ever played) any card game before and so I feel really good when I can win a gwent game through intense strategy :geraltfeelgood:

Absolutely NEVER seen this happen. Are you sure he's passing, and not just doing something that doesn't involve a new card appearing on the table? There are leader functions that do that, especially with the Nilfgaard deck, which the AI often plays in the early game. He could have been looking at your cards, or stealing a card from your deck.

Hi

So you are saying that passing isn't part of the strategy, that if you pass you are saying I give up on this round?
So if you pass when you are ahead you are just gambling that the opponent won't have a higher card to play?

So if you are ahead you should just keep throwing cards in until the opponent gives up and passes, then you pass and win the round.

I'll try that, but it seems like passing should be part of the strategy, I mean I know that if you pass when you are behind you lose but ahead?

So when I passed and then won the round that was just a fluke, that led me to believe that you could pass and still win the round, OK I'll try it that way.

Mike

Hi

So you are saying that passing isn't part of the strategy, that if you pass you are saying I give up on this round?
So if you pass when you are ahead you are just gambling that the opponent won't have a higher card to play?

So if you are ahead you should just keep throwing cards in until the opponent gives up and passes, then you pass and win the round.

I'll try that, but it seems like passing should be part of the strategy, I mean I know that if you pass when you are behind you lose but ahead?

So when I passed and then won the round that was just a fluke, that led me to believe that you could pass and still win the round, OK I'll try it that way.

Mike

Passing means that the player concerned cannot play any more cards in this round. The other player can continue as they please. And if you're ahead, you may want to pass even though it may let your opponent win the round My guess is that the AI let you win that round because they had more cards than you and didn't want to waste them catching up with you.

The important thing is to win the final round, which usually means going into it with the most cards possible. I've already said this in the forum, but it bears saying again. Most games aren't won by the player with the highest value or hero cards, they're won by the player with the most cards in the final round.

You've probably already noticed that the AI will often throw away the second round if it won the first.
So on the first round (or on the second if you won the first), be prepared to pass first, even though you may lose:
- if you're well behind (because you'd need to play several cards to catch up)
- if you're well ahead (because the AI will need to play several cards to catch up)
- if the two of you are close, but you have a lot more cards left than they do. Unless you think you can force him to play almost ALL of his cards and get an early win.

It's not unusual to lose the first round 30-0, because the only cards you've played are spies and there is NOTHING on your side of the table.

But you have 14 cards left to play and your opponent only has 7. That means you can walk through the other two rounds. And if he uses medics to throw those spies back at you in the second round, you can grab them with decoys and play them back again.

And if you have decoys, those spies can end up changing sides four or five times in a game. I'll even use scorch against my own side if it'll get me a spy back in my hand.

Hi

Mike

If he wins that round so be it. The way to win 2 out of 3 is whomever has more cards. Period. If you have 6 cards and the AI has 5, and you're up by say.. 13.. which is at least 2-3 cards, chances are he'll either pass or foolishly put down 2-3 cards and then you're almost surely going to win best out of 3 because you have more cards.

---------- Updated at 07:08 PM ----------

So how is it the NPC can play two of the same hero cards and we can't? Playing this angry old druid and he starts off with two Triss Merrigold cards back to back. Would like a lil clarification on that. Seems that luck constantly favors the computer with getting hero cards ever round yet I have 8 I'm lucky to get one in 10 tries.

That's not possible and it does not happen.

---------- Updated at 07:10 PM ----------

Hi

Here's something that I don't get.

It's my turn, I have a higher score then my opponent, say I have 30 and he has 18.
I pass, then he plays several cards until he gets a score higher then mine.
It pops up and say he wins the round?

I had a second round game today where his score was 4 and mine was 5, I passed wanting to see what he was going to play and it suddenly said that I won the round 5 to 4?

I don't get it.

Mike

This also isn't possible and never happens. If the AI passes, he will never make another move that round. If he passes and you raise your score above his you win instantly. It's not possible for him to play another card once he's passed.

Well I went to the party at the castle with Tris, there was a card game there and I played until I beat all of the players which gave me some new cards.

But I'm not sure who I should be playing, everyone I play I can either beat easily, or they have such good card that I don't stand a chance.

I hate it when I get a big lead and then they remove all my good cards from the table reducing my score to next to nothing.

Then it the next round they start off with 3 10 value cards in a row, and then double them.
I only have one 10 value card total out of all my decks, and I don't have anything that removes their cards or lets my play more then one card at a time.

How do I get better cards?
I've played every merchant I can find but even when I beat them I don't get any cards that help my hand, since often they are for a faction I can't play.

Mike

Well I went to the party at the castle with Tris, there was a card game there and I played until I beat all of the players which gave me some new cards.

But I'm not sure who I should be playing, everyone I play I can either beat easily, or they have such good card that I don't stand a chance.

I hate it when I get a big lead and then they remove all my good cards from the table reducing my score to next to nothing.

Then it the next round they start off with 3 10 value cards in a row, and then double them.
I only have one 10 value card total out of all my decks, and I don't have anything that removes their cards or lets my play more then one card at a time.

How do I get better cards?
I've played every merchant I can find but even when I beat them I don't get any cards that help my hand, since often they are for a faction I can't play.

Mike

I began my third playthrough, and only did I begin playing Gwent at the start of my second playthrough.. and this third playthrough I've not lost a single solitary game since the first and I'm currently level 11. Just use Foltest Remove All Weather, have as FEW amount of cards as humanly possible.. literally... use the counter. Don't use ridiculous stackable 1's. Only use high level cards.. immediately replace a lower level ranged card with a higher level ranged card as soon as you receive it. Rely on medics, spies, decoys, and simple common sense -- in such that, you're playing an AI.. so do things like bait them to use their Scorch card, especially if you have medics because you can simply re-use it. If you are nervous about the AI using a scorch, try very hard to not play cards higher than he.. or, the same level, so if he does use Scorch, it kills some of his shit too. Never carry weather cards. They're literally useless and a waste of space and cards. Again, use Foltest Remove All Weather effects. Don't carry a single clear weather or any of the weather effects ever. Remember you're playing an AI.. an AI which can easily be fooled and tricked into behaving how you want it to. If you don't have spies or medics, you may have to rely on fooling him into passing the first hand to gain an advantage. Do this by throwing down an 8 siege + horn right form the get-go. If the AI see's you're up 16-2 early on, he'll often pass giving you a huge advantage. Remember that the winner of Gwent, especially half-way through the game directly to end game is about who has more cards. You don't ever want to have Kiera Metz or Zoltan in your deck. Why? Because they could potentially be dealt to you rather than a spy, a medic, a horn, a multiplier, or a hero card. You need to manipulate your deck in such a way that you're always holding the LEAST amount of cards possible while also using the most POWERFUL cards you currently have at any given moment.

I honestly can answer any question you have.. I'm sure there's tons and tons and tons of great players out there, but I truly understand how simple it is to win Gwent every single time from the moment you play with a shit deck to the end with a stacked deck, going against any AI race / hero combination.

Gwent is not 1 round guys. It's at least 2 rounds. It takes 2 rounds to win Gwent. The third round is the player won one round and the NPC won one round. Each side does not have health like in magic. The "health" is rounds lost.

Here is the break down

Round 1. Both the player and NPC can actually play until they have no cards left in their hand. Passing = end of the round for whoever passed. The round is not officially over until both NPC and the player have passed, here is how that happens.
a) round ends when both players have used all of their cards. The game forces both to "pass". (both NPC and the player don't have any cards in their hand), the person with the highest number wins the round (not based on last card played, just the grand total score for either side).

OR

b) round ends when both players have chosen to pass. (still having cards in their hand), the person with the highest number wins the round (not based on last card played, just the grand total score for either side).

OR

c) round ends if either the NPC has run out of cards and is forced to pass and the player chooses to pass (with cards in his hand still), or if the player has run out of cards and is forced to pass and the NPC chooses to pass (with cards in his hand still.). The person with the highest number wins the round (not based on last card played, just the grand total score for either side).

Round 2. Pretty much the same as Round 1. However there is a catch to this round if you or the NPC or both of you have run out of cards in the last round.
a) same as round 1 b

OR

a-a) (refering to if option "a" from round 1 happens). Unfortunately if both parties have no cards in their hands the NPC always wins this round. This will pass to round 3 as well if the player was the one who won round 1. However if round 1 was won by the NPC then round 2 goes to the NPC and the game is over. Making it so you the player have lost.

OR

a-c) (refering to if option "c" from round 1 happens). If the NPC has no cards left and the player (you) does. There is a problem here. If the player has nothing but neutral cards then the NPC wins this round automatically after either the player passes, or plays all cards in the hand and the game forces the player to pass (because of no cards left in the hand) or even plays one card from the hang then passes. However if the player has at least one card that has a number value attached to it the player wins the round whether all cards have been played from the hand or not but chooses to pass or is forced into passing (because of no cards in the hand left to play). Now the opposite is true for the NPC if the player ended up with no cards in the hand after round 1. However the game always favors the NPC in any situation where there are no cards to play from the player that have damage attack value attached to them. Regardless if the NPC has any attack cards or not with a value attached to the card.

OR

b) (more of a note to remember) In event that in round 1 the player won the round. And it turns out that the player has no useable cards and neither does the NPC, this game does not take into account that the player lost the previous round. The victory will always go to the NPC in the event that the player has only neutral cards or nothing in their hand at all.

OR

c) If the player has at least one card that has damage (or more) and the NPC doesn't have anything, or has neutral cards or has less total value (total value is add up all the numbers on all the cards on either the NPC or players side for their side. So this means the NPC's total value is all the cards that it played for that round) of cards at the end of the round. The highest number wins the round. And depending on what happened in round 1. The player or the NPC could be the winner of the Gwent game.

Round 3) This is the tie breaker round. Thus the last round. If the player has one win and the NPC has one win then this round will occur.
a) In the event that the player has played all cards and the same for the NPC. This round automatically goes to the NPC. Thus ending the round and the game. Causing the NPC to win the Gwent card game. The NPC is always favored in the event of this happening.

OR

b) In the event that the player has one or more cards left, and they be only neutral cards. The NPC wins just like in Round 3 option "a", in the even that the NPC has no more cards, or even has at least one neutral card that isn't assigned a value of one or more. The game favors the NPC and takes no account of who won the last round.

OR

c) In the event that the player has at least one card or more and at least one card has a damage value assigned to it and the NPC does not have anything, or has neutral cards that do no destroy cards that have been played in this round sending them to the discard pile. The player wins and thus wins the game. However in the event of the opposite happening and the NPC turns out to match the rest of this option. Then of court the NPC wins the gwent game.

Hopefully this helps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom