Problem with Gwent? Getting owned by the AI? Want some tips? call: 0800-SCORCHED

+
Gwent is not 1 round guys. It's at least 2 rounds. It takes 2 rounds to win Gwent. The third round is the player won one round and the NPC won one round. Each side does not have health like in magic. The "health" is rounds lost.

Here is the break down

Round 1. Both the player and NPC can actually play until they have no cards left in their hand. Passing = end of the round for whoever passed. The round is not officially over until both NPC and the player have passed, here is how that happens.
a) round ends when both players have used all of their cards. The game forces both to "pass". (both NPC and the player don't have any cards in their hand), the person with the highest number wins the round (not based on last card played, just the grand total score for either side).
OR
b) round ends when both players have chosen to pass. (still having cards in their hand), the person with the highest number wins the round (not based on last card played, just the grand total score for either side).
OR
c) round ends if either the NPC has run out of cards and is forced to pass and the player chooses to pass (with cards in his hand still), or if the player has run out of cards and is forced to pass and the NPC chooses to pass (with cards in his hand still.). The person with the highest number wins the round (not based on last card played, just the grand total score for either side).

Round 2. Pretty much the same as Round 1. However there is a catch to this round if you or the NPC or both of you have run out of cards in the last round.
a) same as round 1 b
OR
a-a) (refering to if option "a" from round 1 happens). Unfortunately if both parties have no cards in their hands the NPC always wins this round. This will pass to round 3 as well if the player was the one who won round 1. However if round 1 was won by the NPC then round 2 goes to the NPC and the game is over. Making it so you the player have lost.
OR
a-c) (refering to if option "c" from round 1 happens). If the NPC has no cards left and the player (you) does. There is a problem here. If the player has nothing but neutral cards then the NPC wins this round automatically after either the player passes, or plays all cards in the hand and the game forces the player to pass (because of no cards left in the hand) or even plays one card from the hang then passes. However if the player has at least one card that has a number value attached to it the player wins the round whether all cards have been played from the hand or not but chooses to pass or is forced into passing (because of no cards in the hand left to play). Now the opposite is true for the NPC if the player ended up with no cards in the hand after round 1. However the game always favors the NPC in any situation where there are no cards to play from the player that have damage attack value attached to them. Regardless if the NPC has any attack cards or not with a value attached to the card.

OR

b) (more of a note to remember) In event that in round 1 the player won the round. And it turns out that the player has no useable cards and neither does the NPC, this game does not take into account that the player lost the previous round. The victory will always go to the NPC in the event that the player has only neutral cards or nothing in their hand at all.

OR

c) If the player has at least one card that has damage (or more) and the NPC doesn't have anything, or has neutral cards or has less total value (total value is add up all the numbers on all the cards on either the NPC or players side for their side. So this means the NPC's total value is all the cards that it played for that round) of cards at the end of the round. The highest number wins the round. And depending on what happened in round 1. The player or the NPC could be the winner of the Gwent game.

Round 3) This is the tie breaker round. Thus the last round. If the player has one win and the NPC has one win then this round will occur.
a) In the event that the player has played all cards and the same for the NPC. This round automatically goes to the NPC. Thus ending the round and the game. Causing the NPC to win the Gwent card game. The NPC is always favored in the event of this happening.

OR

b) In the event that the player has one or more cards left, and they be only neutral cards. The NPC wins just like in Round 3 option "a", in the even that the NPC has no more cards, or even has at least one neutral card that isn't assigned a value of one or more. The game favors the NPC and takes no account of who won the last round.

OR

c) In the event that the player has at least one card or more and at least one card has a damage value assigned to it and the NPC does not have anything, or has neutral cards that do no destroy cards that have been played in this round sending them to the discard pile. The player wins and thus wins the game. However in the event of the opposite happening and the NPC turns out to match the rest of this option. Then of court the NPC wins the gwent game.

Hopefully this helps.

Did you really just type all this out to explain how best two out of three works in the most confusing and convoluted way possible lol? You're blowing the concept of best 2 out of 3 way out of proportion bud. It can be explained with like 2 sentences. I'm afraid you're going to scare someone off from playing a really fun side-game with this post.. which is so much more complicated and complex than it has to be. But it's not smart complexity, it's fake complexity. Sorry for being rude.. I just had to point this out :eek:

Edit 1: And also.. one quick thing, your entire premise is explaining how Gwent is more than 1 round. Did anyone in this thread, or anyone ever think Gwent wasn't 2 out of 3, and more than 1 round?

Edit 2: Here, let me be helpful. Let me give your post a TLDR. Ready?
Gwent rounds end by one of two things happening. Your card score is higher than the AI and one of you passes. The AI's card score is higher than yours and one of you passes. Second way -- if someone runs out of cards mid-round and whomever had the highest amount wins that particular round, or inevitably, best 2 out of 3.

Last edited:
Totally unnecessary argument deleted - there is absolutely NO reason for any personal attacks in this thread.

I didn't play Gwent at all in my first playthrough. Now I am sufficiently addicted to it. Currently have all decks but Monsters completely built. Nilfgaard has too many heroes and thus is my favorite. :D

Hi

I didn't play at all the first time either and I think I have a handle on the strategy but how do I get decent cards to play?
I'm level 20, I've checked every vendor and played everyone I come across, that plays and I have a total of one 10 value card.

I have a couple of Spy cards, a bunch of weather effects that I don't use and 3 Captain cards and a clear weather card that I keep if it comes up.

I just seem to run up against players with every card imaginable all the time, it seems like they have 30 cards in their deck. LOL

They play a half a dozen cards at once, scorch my cards off the board and hit me with weather effects, multiple spy cards, you name it they got it.

I keep playing hoping to find some of these cards but usually when I win a card it's just some level 6 character card or goes in a deck that I don't have enough cards to play, so far only Norther Realms has enough cards.

Oh, well I'll keep at it but it does get frustrating when I'm ahead 60 to 12 in the last round, and then they suddenly remove all my good cards from the board leaving me with a score of 5 and only one card left to play.

Gwent-leader card not available???

Just in the last few days I have noticed in all my factions that my leader one time ability isn't showing up? Faction perk still in effect though and everything else moves along normally, just this strange lack of the leader one off ability/perk/whatever you want to call it. Playing on Xbox 1, do updates when prompted, nothing else acting weird. any ideas or input on what may be happening would be welcome. Its not really messing up my success on winning though sometimes the extra perk and turn is handy...

This is most likely because your opponent has a Leader card that doesnt allow you to use your Leader Ability. I had this problem also and it took me a long time to realise what the problem is.

I know that one is out there but this is against all decks, not just one faction. I played against another N Realm deck, they had the leader with the clear weather that was played, I never had the option to use mine, if I recall correctly the guide and buttons at the bottom have one labled "play leader" or something to that effect-its missing. I know when the one you refer to is in effect it informs of you of that at the beginning of the round. Gut tells me its a glitch from the latest patch. ITs not a deal breaker or gamebreaker, more of a what's up...

I know that one is out there but this is against all decks, not just one faction. I played against another N Realm deck, they had the leader with the clear weather that was played, I never had the option to use mine, if I recall correctly the guide and buttons at the bottom have one labled "play leader" or something to that effect-its missing. I know when the one you refer to is in effect it informs of you of that at the beginning of the round. Gut tells me its a glitch from the latest patch. ITs not a deal breaker or gamebreaker, more of a what's up...

i think it's a bug. You can only play it if there is a weather card on the table. Sometimes it is usefull to play it to skip a turn even if there is no weather cards played. That was possible with earlier versions.

Hi

I wondered what was going on, my opponent has been using the Leader card but I've been unable to do so.
It would be nice to be able to use it.

Mike

Hi

I wondered what was going on, my opponent has been using the Leader card but I've been unable to do so.
It would be nice to be able to use it.

Mike

Hey Mike! What is your leader card?

Some leader cards need specific situations to become usable/or are used automatically when entering the game.

Example: Emhyr The Relentless draws a card from your oponent's graveyard. As long as there's no cards in his graveyard, you can't use it.

There's a Francesca card that draws an extra card for you at the beginning of each game (you start with 11, not 10) so you can't use it.

Foltest siegmaster buffs your siege row, unless you already have a horn there. If you do, you can't use it. etc

Last edited:
Hello, I've collected a bunch of cards and played about 20 to 30 games against many different players. Unfortunately I've only one once. If I lower the game difficulty will it improve my chances? If not, I suppose I'll have to stop playing and just admit defeat. And if I stop playing, does that mean I can't finish the game? Not very good at card games I guess. Thanks.

I moved your post here as it's a more-active thread.
You don't need to play Gwent in order to complete the main game, so if you want to abandon Gwent, you can. And I don't think that the game difficulty affects Gwent.

There's a lot of tips in this thread. If you want to continue, then I'd suggest you keep playing against the Velen merchants and craftsmen, as they tend to have the weaker packs. Play each one until you win. Just bet one crown each time (or cheat and load from a save :) )

I love this Gwent. Specially if you have lots of spy and medic combined!
I played the highstake quest with Sasha and i reached 16 cards on hand! Played Northern which is good for starter then switched to Nilf..FTW!

I love this Gwent. Specially if you have lots of spy and medic combined!
I played the highstake quest with Sasha and i reached 16 cards on hand! Played Northern which is good for starter then switched to Nilf..FTW!

Nilfgaard is... just simply overkill. At least with northern realms you have a CHANCE to lose :p

With northern, I once actuallly depleted my deck. I could hear my opponent wimper as I was holding 18 cards and him maybe, like, 5 or so :D

Nilfgaard is... just simply overkill. At least with northern realms you have a CHANCE to lose :p

With northern, I once actuallly depleted my deck. I could hear my opponent wimper as I was holding 18 cards and him maybe, like, 5 or so :D

What i meant for starter is if you are new to Gwent. Honestly my 2 play through i used northern. I just switched in my 3rd and 4th.
Northern is the overkill man. Sometimes i reached 200+ points in single deal. Northern has catapult (8pts) with bonds and add horn and whooping 64 points in two cards! Then reavers (5pts) with bond again, 90pts with horn! ...also blue stripe...

Nilf has lots of Heros, only that. With heros i cannot use the effects of medic, horns etc. Good thing is no weather effects for heros.

Last edited:
What i meant for starter is if you are new to Gwent. Honestly my 2 play through i used northern. I just switched in my 3rd and 4th.
Northern is the overkill man. Sometimes i reached 200+ points in single deal. Northern has catapult (8pts) with bonds and add horn and whooping 64 points in two cards! Then reavers (5pts) with bond again, 90pts with horn! ...also blue stripe...

Nilf has lots of Heros, only that. With heros i cannot use the effects of medic, horns etc. Good thing is no weather effects for heros.

Actually, yes, the heros, but the knee-archers man, the knee archers!
And nilfgaard has bonds as well. Plus, nilfgaard has more medics, allowing for re-use. Don't know if they have more spies... At least as much anyway. And the 'draw from opponent's discard pile ability is GLORIOUS.

And well, they look more bad-ass.

Last edited:
Gwent Monster-Faction to strong

In my opinion monster are far to strong the overall balance is good but monsters are just broken wil there be an update or will it stay that way?

In my opinion monster are far to strong the overall balance is good but monsters are just broken wil there be an update or will it stay that way?
Them have one weak spot. Play with weather and scorch cards against your opponents. That's it. They throw at you too many cards with similar strenght and melee type mostly.

Use tactics and fullfill your "acte de revanche", soldier. :smile:

Top Bottom