Problem with Gwent? Getting owned by the AI? Want some tips? call: 0800-SCORCHED

+
Speaking of the Gwent Tournament (which I won) I'd like to give people who have yet to do it a heads-up. Toward the end you have to play against 2 opponents back-to-back before you earn the right to play the very last guy (the one who runs it).

Hi @damo404

Apparently the Vegelbud Residence is locked. I found no way to enter.
Looking at the mini Map, there were no "!" event happening inside the Residence.

Gwent-are some of the traders/smiths bugged?

Simple question. Usually if you win in gwent you recieve gold and card or gold and some stuff. Some of the npcs provided me just gold when I beat them first namely alchemist in cemetery church near Novigrad and all 3 npcs in Larvik(I think it was merchant, innkeeper and one smith).

As far as I can tell, if you beat someone for the first time you get gold and a card.
Subsequent wins you get Gold + Junk/Crafting material

The only NPC where I got junk the first time beating them rather than a card was the Faroe Island Blacksmith in Skellige

As far as I can tell, if you beat someone for the first time you get gold and a card.
Subsequent wins you get Gold + Junk/Crafting material

The only NPC where I got junk the first time beating them rather than a card was the Faroe Island Blacksmith in Skellige

Maybe someone could try to go to Larvik and tell me whether they won something there?

Please bring a version of this great game to the Xbox, either as a stand alone game or as a DLC pack, so we can play our friends - i spend nearly as much time playing Gwent as i do questing, and even if i lose, i love it. My friends with the game also want to be able to play against each other. Any chance of this happening?

Nilfgaurd and Monster decks are so OP. So is scorched... it's bad enough it can kill any card you so choose (even level 10) but they also scorch any card tied to it. So you could have 3 same cards which give you extra points cause they all have the same name, then get scorched and end up losing a large chunk of your overall points.

I've tried nearly every tactic there is in Magic the Gathering.... oops I mean Gwent, but the person I play against always has the exact card they need to win.

I only started playing Gwent when I'd hit level 20 because my friend convinced me it was good and now I'm hooked. The Prima guide is really useful and for those struggling, I recommend playing against all the people in White Orchard first and then some of the guys in Velen. My first few games I really struggled but now I'm pretty comfortable winning most games...

Would love to be able to use the cards I've got in the game to be able to play with others online.

I hate Gwent,npcs are too good,wish there was an option to remove all Gwent secondary quests from the list.I miss dice nice and simple and did not take too much playing time away from Witcher gameplay in general,Gwent I gave up after 70 hours of W3 playing time(not even won one card game so don't have 1000xxxx hours of card time free) ,Gwent is very frustrating and annoying.

I challange everyone I see, but I can beat none lol
I'm with the same cards from the begining of the game

Any tips for how to get new cards (buy, or something)
I really want to enjoy it, but I can't. When all you do is losing, it gets boring... I know what to do, but the AI allways have better cards than mine. I'm giving up on this.

This, I'm @ novigrad part of the game and so far I've managed to win 0 games out of 20 - 30 or soo odd times I've played. Just absolutely frustrating when the starter deck is so weak and I've basically given up on Gwent. Every time, just as you are winning the AI plobs down a hero card or something that just completely wrecks what you had and you just don't have anything to counter it with. Not fun at all... I was much more comfortable with dice poker in Witcher 2. Every time I play, I just keep loosing my desire the play the damn game. I think the starter deck needs to be stronger, or the tutorial needs to hand hold players more and maybe show them how to win or some viable strategies for at least one game instead of just showing the rules. Fear it is too late for me though, I have 0 desire to play the game anymore besides just buying random cards from merchants just to take a look at their art work.

Arghhh playing against the inn keeper at Oxenford I almost defeated him but he played the Yennefer card and I didn't know it was weather card resistant. If it wasn't for that I would have won, it was a very close match but that mistake destroyed me.

This also, I think there should be an icon or some kind of marker when a card is immune to weather cards. So many times when I thought I had won a round only to find myself end up loosing after I pass b/c I didn't realize the cards were weather resistant.

When I first saw Gwent (not being a fan of Hearthstone), I thought to myself "Awwww, they did away with dice poker *insert sad face*". But I learned how to like it, especially when AI is pretty well made. However, I consider gwent to be flawed in its nature, especially because of these two reasons.
1. The only way to win the game is to overpower your opponent.
2. You get unlimited turns once your opponent has passed, same goes for your opponent.

The second reason is what really ruins gwent for me as a viable PVP game. The AI is pretty good, but also very predictable and matched against a player with a decent deck has absolutely no chance in hell to win (unless you get a terrible hand).

Take for instance spies, if you play a spy or two during the first round of gwent your opponent will in 90% of cases play a decoy card and return your spy back, then play 1-2 more cards and if you use horn on your main row to overpower his combo, pass the round. Basically giving you an auto win for the first round if you open with double spies.

When I play as siege oriented North deck, I would first play horn on my siege deck, then play my siege unit cards. This makes AI waste unit destroying cards, if they have any, very early on, minimizing the damage potential this card has when playing at a right time late in game.

I tried my metal in the tournament and got my ass wooped. How long should I wait until I can win that torney? I am at level 12 right now and completed all gwent related quests in the area, I think.

Oh right, this reminds me about... I got 70 hours on Witcher 3 now and it feels like I have barely explored the swamp lands... What a magnificent game this is, truly a master work. Except for the UI, it's pretty terrible.

@RivenII

What we tried to do with Gwent is something unique to the Witcher, and a mini game that would be on par with the rest of the game, something fun that links with quests and also something that is rewarding as you can find more cards around the world. Ultimately like anything, this might not be for everyone - had we brought dice poker back I am sure we would have had a few comments too about it - we always try to please as many people as possible and as you know that's simply not possible (but we do try :) )

No worries, mate! It's jolly well impossible to please all the people all the time. However, despite the few wistful gazes back towards dice from a small population, enough other players appear to very much like Gwent, so I'd say it's a success. Sincere congratulations on that!

(I can appreciate the mechanics and design of the card-game, from a purely technical stand point, even if I don't particularly care for playing it.)

Cheers!

Last edited:
I really do enjoy Gwent, BUT it's much too easy. Once you've got a strong row (easyest is northern realms with foltest the siegemaster and a few siege cards) there is hardly any opponent who can win against you. Another easy strategy is to try to lure out the opponent in the first round so that he'll have less cards than you in the next 2 rounds, but done with spys.
In order to make it more difficult it would be great if there were different levels of opponents/games maybe with additional rules to make the game more difficult. right now it's getting boring cause it's too easy.

Gwent: Other Factions

Does anyone use a faction other than Northern Realms?
I tried using Nilfguard and I lost because I didn't have any spies in that deck, also I didn't have a good leader card.
My current strategy in gwent is to use spies, then dominate with unit cards combined with commander's horns.
Anyone know any good strategies for using other factions?

Worst loss I ever had was against that monster deck the old guy had...

So I am trying to find more cards for that. =)

Can't tell you though how that plays out just yet.

Yeah the monster faction strategy seems to be just spawning a ridiculous amount of close combat cards, then putting a commander's horn there.
But finding enough monster cards to make this faction useful is nearly impossible.

How do I use my Hero card?
Did I miss someone answering this? You mean the king? You click on your hero card then after it pops up click on the area were the weather cards go if it is a weather effect. I haven't tried other type of the king card abilities...

Hi there!

So I was going through my gwent collection and I noticed that I'm missing 3 cards. I checked several guides and so on and each of them states that they are already included in the starter deck you get in White Orchard and one from a trader in Crow's Perch.

The missing cards are:

1x Clear Weather
1x Torrential Rain
1x Ballista
1x Albrich

Out of curiosity, I double checked the guides and said trader for Albrich, but nothing. Additionaly, I can't get any new cards from other gwent players who I haven't played against before. Is this a known issue, or am I the only person? I know, those cards aren't the best ones, but I want to have a complete collection. All those cards (despite Albrich) should have been in your starter deck.

Top Bottom