Problem with Gwent? Getting owned by the AI? Want some tips? call: 0800-SCORCHED

+
THE SCCOORRTTTTH TRIIAAALLSSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-44_igsZtgU

oh wait.. thats not what this thread is about

---------- Updated at 11:45 AM ----------

Decoys + Spys = <3

I have about 6 Spy Cards in my deck, I play them all first hand making the AI think im giving him the round.
If he decides to snatch my spy up and play it on my board I do the same with my decoys, Ive had up to 15 cards in my hand on the second round of gwent while my opponent had only 4

*Shia "DO ITTT"*

4 Spy Cards maximum on one deck (Northern Realms and Nilfgaard both have max 3 and there's one neutral spy card) but I get what you're saying.
I almost always do the same thing, and it works brilliantly!
You still need to have a nice deck though
:smile:

Beating him with just the base deck and a couple of extra cards is possible. Try to focus on special cards like horn, it's not too expensive and allows you to double the strength of a whole row. Do that on your Siege weapons as it's Northern Realm strongest row (even better if you have a couple of Kaedweni Siege Expert).

You won't have any commander horns in your base-deck (coming out of White Orchard). I believe, horns are sold by one of the inkeeps near Novigrad.

Stjepan is in fact in area 3 as Oxenfurt counts as part of Novigrad. Beffore playing him you should finish Velen players quest, and also play vs few merchants in Velen, this way you will get enaugh upgrades for your deck that Stjepan wont be as hard anymore.

Side tip: He is using spy heavy deck so pack up your own deck with as many Decoy cards as possible, you should have acess to 3 of them, then just reuse his spy cards for your own card advantage.

I had beat everyone up to him, and finally got him due to luck and perfect card draw. Other innkeeps after him were easy and went down at the first time of asking. Stjepans deck is just so ridiculously stacked that playing against him has nothing to do with skill or understanding gwent.

Once I got spy cards, I was pretty much unstoppable save for one opponent: Madame Sasha during the Gwent tournament. It was the fist time I actually encountered a direct counter to my spy heavy deck, which is spy and medic heavy Nilfgaard deck. No matter what I did, she was able to out-draw me and gain the card advantage, every time! I had to switch to my Monster deck to beat her, and I've never had to switch decks for any opponent before or after.

Shame you can't play her again after you beat her. I'd love to be able to keep challenging her.

Seriously ? Screenshot

Left side of the screen, above the picture of Geralt : Y [HOLD] Pass
Lower right corner : Q Forfeit Game

Based on what I see of the cards you drew that your deck sucks. Fix your scrub deck before playing some of the harder Gwent players. You should start by checking out the merchants and Innkeepers for gwent cards they sell and buy them all and also sort your deck and remove the crap cards. Before playing you should understand the strengths and weaknesses of the of your faction deck and that of the play you are facing. If you want hard you should try playing the halfling called Bernard Tulle in the first round of the High stakes Gwent Tornament on Death March Difficulty, he makes Stjepan look like a pathetic amateur.

Beat Innkeeper but I don't see his hero card

Hey all,

I'm doing the gwent quest and beat the Innkeeper at the Crossroads (twice in 2 separate saves) but I don't see his hero card in my deck. I looked in my inventory and don't see it there either.

UPDATE: Ok he's there, just in a different faction deck. Hopefully, this helps someone else trying to figure out where he is. He's tied to the Nilfgaardian Empire, unlike Yennefer, who isn't tied to any faction. Bummer, but oh well. My Nilf faction deck is still weak.

The other day I was playing a round of gwent and I had 6 (SIX) spy cards on my side of the field. After a good decoy battle, I think we both had like 15 cards each.

Is there a way to get the Nekker (Lambert's mission) if you failed the mission?

:wondering:
You can play Lambert again later in the game. You'll need to wait a while though.
At Kaer Morhen, after a quest with him
If I recall correctly, he appears from time to time in the Nowhere Inn in Novigrad, I defeated him there some time after I concluded the "Following the thread" quest and before having access to Kaer Morhen.

If I recall correctly, he appears from time to time in the Nowhere Inn in Novigrad, I defeated him there some time after I concluded the "Following the thread" quest and before having access to Kaer Morhen.

Thank you!

---------- Updated at 06:58 PM ----------

You can play Lambert again later in the game. You'll need to wait a while though.
At Kaer Morhen, after a quest with him

Thank you! :)

Seriously ? Screenshot

Left side of the screen, above the picture of Geralt : Y [HOLD] Pass
Lower right corner : Q Forfeit Game
Based on what I see of the cards you drew that your deck sucks. Fix your scrub deck before playing some of the harder Gwent players. You should start by checking out the merchants and Innkeepers for gwent cards they sell and buy them all and also sort your deck and remove the crap cards. Before playing you should understand the strengths and weaknesses of the of your faction deck and that of the play you are facing. If you want hard you should try playing the halfling called Bernard Tulle in the first round of the High stakes Gwent Tornament on Death March Difficulty, he makes Stjepan look like a pathetic amateur.
It looks like to me he had a high chance of winning. If you ever fought against a monster-deck AI player, the basic tactic is to make him use all his muster cards so you don't have to worry later. So it always be 1-1 before the third match when he will have way to win because of lack of cards.

If all what you said in your comment is what you saw in the screenshot, I guess you are only a good Gwent player because you already have a lot of good cards.

You are preaching that to him and you don't even know if that screenshot belongs to him or just found it using a search engine.

My first play through I didn't understand Gwent, but after watching YouTube videos about how to play...I love Gwent, My second play through I play Gwent all the time. All my decks are very good. My Northern Realms deck is my favorite and is bad Ass! I beat Monster Decks all the time!

This game drives me dotty. Every merchant I run into seems to have the most amazing decks and I'm supposed to win against said decks when they have he monster decks and all 10 cards and heros...all that ever draw for me are 1s and 3s so I end up losi. I'd adjust my base deck except I don't have enough sodding unit cards in the better decks to do it so Im seemingly fucked.

I miss dice poker. Wish it was back.

This game drives me dotty. Every merchant I run into seems to have the most amazing decks and I'm supposed to win against said decks when they have he monster decks and all 10 cards and heros...all that ever draw for me are 1s and 3s so I end up losi. I'd adjust my base deck except I don't have enough sodding unit cards in the better decks to do it so Im seemingly fucked.

I miss dice poker. Wish it was back.

Remember.. you want as SMALL a deck as possible to hope to get the cards you wish to draw. I hold zero weather cards. Zero 1's. ANY time I win a 6 Melee card, for instance, I go in and remove my lowest melee (so long as it doesn't have a special effect).The only 2 siege cards I use half way through the game are 8/8 the ones that stack. You want tons of Medic, Spies, Heroes, 2-3 decoys (personal preference, it can lead to extra spy plays), and use Foltest -> Clear All Weather the WHOLE game. You won't ever lose a match again.

All my cards tend to be low. The NPCs always use the advanced decks and end up with those cards that draw two more cards in a turn. Last night trying to beat one of the innkeeps bitch was getting like 90-120 pts some rounds. It was like wtf is this shit...I have some cards for monster and elf deck but can't use them as not enough units, and all the cards in my northern deck are fairly low. I remove the low ones and get told to put the bastards back or I don't have enough units to play so it's catch 22. The NPCs are always stacked and I find hardly ever mess up.

Grrrrr. Can't win lol. I haven' t found a compiled list of which NPCs are easiest to beat or which use what decks, etc. Least it'd give me an idea of who to start with and work up to.

Last edited:
The Velen merchants and craftsmen tend to be the easiest. Most seem to play with either the Northern or Monster pack. The guy at Vizima is a little difficult for early-game, if you're still learning, so if you have problems with him, go back and see him later.

And I would totally agree with the suggestion made by @chrispowers1010 on what to have in your deck. Also, be prepared to throw the first or second round if it'll leave you with the majority of the cards in the third one. It's a lot easier if you go for a lose/win/win or win/lose/win strategy rather than going all out in every round.

And make good use of those decoys, as you got them early. If your opponent plays a spy, grab it with a decoy and play it right back. If there's no spies in play, use it as part of a bluff - play a high card to force your opponent to do the same, then grab it back with a decoy. If your opponent then passes, play the high card again for an easy win. If he keeps playing, throw the round and you should now have the majority of cards.

Most games aren't won by who has the best cards, they're won by who has the most playable cards in the final round.

Last edited:
NPC using 2 Triss Merigold hero cards in same play o_O

So how is it the NPC can play two of the same hero cards and we can't? Playing this angry old druid and he starts off with two Triss Merrigold cards back to back. Would like a lil clarification on that. Seems that luck constantly favors the computer with getting hero cards ever round yet I have 8 I'm lucky to get one in 10 tries.

Top Bottom