Problems beating Scoia'tel (true, i swear)

+
Well, ah, this maybe sound embarassing, but I'm rally struggling against two scoiatel decks that i'm constantly facing (ranks 22-20): The Trap/hazards one and a Saesentehssis buff one.

I mean, against the traps, how exactly does one counter them? I've tried to lock them with units, but, this don't work. Couldn't try Shackes yet, but I assume it won't work also. I really miss some kind of "destroy traps" tech card, like Hearthstone has with "devorer of secrets".

My other problem is with decks that uses basically Saesentehssis and the imune elf that boosts itself with every other scoia'tel card. What is a good way to fight this?

Since I have a lot of scraps, and like all factions, all hints and strategies are welcome. :)

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yeah, in the past you used locks to stop traps, but now its not like that anymore: since traps are considered artefacts, you need artefact removal to destroy them (whether they're flipped down or up)

Just be careful pitfall trap will trigger before your artefact removal unit destroys it, all other traps can be safely destroyed by an artefact removal unit. And you also have 3 artefact removal specials, but they may brick when you're playing against decks with no artefacts.

Against an immune SC deck... if you're losing against it, it might mean your deck is too focused on removal which is only useful when you have valid targets, but if you play a "point-spammery" deck it'll probably do more points than Saessenthessis+Milva deck.

One time when I knew pitfall was coming I threw my deathwish card down which resulted in no gain for either side. Then I saved another one for the last play when I knew pitfall was coming down again. I won that game :)

DRK3

Forum veteran
One time when I knew pitfall was coming I threw my deathwish card down which resulted in no gain for either side. Then I saved another one for the last play when I knew pitfall was coming down again. I won that game :)

Yeah yesterday i was actually using a DW deck focused on harpies and it did well against these SC with barely any units:

Between the rock and a hard place.jpg

I just had to keep the harpy eggs alive until the big damage comes (this time was a Yennefer, but usually its a line trap)

For traps run artifact removal and hit the right traps or win R1 and bleed R2. Traps are artifacts so artifact removal kills them. Pitfall is the only exception. So there you just have to make the right choice by knowing what trap was played. There are a variety of ways to do so but sometimes you just have to guess right. Traps + Weather sounds like a long round deck so winning R1 then playing into R2 to force out valuable cards and a short round (bleeding) should work. Pitfall + Iorveth would be the only danger. Perhaps don't go with an aggressive bleed but only play into R2 enough to make R3 mid-length.

If you're referring to the Brouver deck then, again, win R1 and bleed it. Crushing Traps are very good now. Brouver has movement so it can run double Crushing Trap with movement R3. You don't want to face such a scenario R3 in a long round because you'll probably get destroyed. Again, these decks run Pitfall so keep Pitfall and Iorveth in the back of your mind.

For Saes buff I assume you mean Fila. This deck can be a problem because if it gets hand-buff (Smugglers) to stick it can push a surprisingly high amount of points. Especially in a long R3. If you can, prevent the hand-buff or run boost reset cards. Either way bleeding can also be very good. If you win R1 and force out the big cards R2 the deck loses a lot of it's power. Worst case you split it's power up so it cannot dump so many points in one round.

All of the above depends on the match-up. Some decks may not want to bleed since they can overpower the opponent deck concept in a long round. Some aren't very good at bleeding. Others have ridiculous short rounds (Monsters). So whether you push hard R1 and play into R2 depends on quite a number of variables. Likewise, how far you push if you choose to bleed depends. Primarily your short and long round strength vs the opponent short and long round strength. Draws and coin result also play a role.

Top Bottom