Project Golden Nekker? What Do You Expect or Hope?

+
Golden Nekker Peeks.jpg

Project Golden Nekker. . .

As some of you may know, in the Roadmap + Update 8.3 Overview video (March 8th, 2021), Pawel Burza and Jason Slama revealed the potential arrival of a mysterious single-player mode in Gwent, code-named 'Project Golden Nekker' (see segment). Ideally, if all goes to plan, the mode could arrive in the last quarter of this year. Thus far, we know precious little of this intriguing new game mode, apart from the clues that it isn't a standalone game like Thronebreaker, although 'twill be 'content-heavy', is rather ambitious, has been in the works for a while, and will include a rule-set change.

Slama cautioned us not to get our expectations too high, however, he also advised us not to set them too low, either. So, are you intrigued yet? What do you hope to see? Please, share your expectations, hopes, or dreams below -- and, when the time comes, we shall discover the Golden Nekker's secrets.

Golden Nekker Mode.jpg

For me it´s hopefully a small campaign where you are only allowed to use specific cards.
After you managed the campaign you can play against other players with your campaign deck,

It will be a card-based stealth game where we take on the role of the Golden Nekker as we try to escape the laboratory of an eccentric mage who has a penchant for experimenting on nekkers.

Along the way, the Golden One will have the opportunity to free other members of his tribe and make creative use of their skills in order to escape their captivity and ultimately exact vengeance upon the foul sorcerer who had imprisoned them.

The story will end on a high note as the Golden One frees his people and is hailed as a messianic figure among nekker kind.

The colours in the picture strongly remind me of the Alzur's laboratory board, and the portrait leaning against the table at the bottom of the image looks very much like Alzur as he is portrayed in the game.
The chemistry alchemy equipment could also have something, or everything, to do with Alzur.
There is a foglet trophy on the wall, which of course reminds me of witchers. Who are connected to Alzur.
A nekker is a monster and therefore also connected.

So, I expect the mode to have something to do with Alzur -- but I don't care if I'm wrong. And I probably am, honestly. :p

I hope it will include, or even revolve around, puzzles because I know from past experience (the old events, Thronebreaker) that those would certainly be fun. However, I'm not sure if it would be a viable thing for a gamemode.

Whatever it is, I hope it won't be too easy. Multiplayer certainly requires thinking and so should the "more single-player" (I still wonder what exactly that expression means).

There are plenty of good ideas to recycle from Thronebreaker, too. Some of them would be really fun as a gamemode, as opposed to single puzzles like they are in that game.

For me it´s hopefully a small campaign where you are only allowed to use specific cards.
After you managed the campaign you can play against other players with your campaign deck,
One of my earliest threads here was proposing that matchmaking had a filter, so that, e.g. only starter or basic decks can play against each other. At least one of the mods hated the idea. The constant changing of the meta has made it really easy to not have much to do with this game any more. I just posted up a new thread today in General about the Journey challenge re spawning units seemingly being broken. If that's the case, I'll have no reason to play the game at all, as I've been playing once a week for the rewards for that.

I also advocated a MTG style feature of being able to play your own decks against each other, to learn how they play better. That would be more useful that a single-player mode, maybe.

Last edited:
As most of you said already: I guess it will be some challenges in Thronebreaker style and we can unlock unique vanities.
That said, I really hope it will somehow connect to the new/updated Journey that's supposed to come after the next one.

In a remote village surrounded by perilous woods, a racket is heard and observed by a traveller, arriving from a lonesome journey. Children shout and throw stones at a caged nekker. “A pitiful scene”, thinks the newcomer. ”Stop at once you foolish piglets!” he shouts. The children stop, look in his direction and noticing such a ragged, feeble old man leaning on a staff, laugh at him and pay no heed.

Disturbed by such annoying manners, the old man waves his left hand, raises his staff and thunder hurts the ears and lightning blinds the eyes and … a soothing silence ensues. Opening his eyes, he sees a freed nekker running away from his torments and in the other direction children were also running in fear calling for their parents. “What is that?” he asks, approaching a greyish small creature lying on the ground, curved and grunting fearfully. “A nekker!? But I have just seen the caged nekker running away! Can this be one of the children?” he mutters. “I am too old for this mage activities!” he thinks for himself, realizing he had performed unwillingly a transformation cursed, instead of just a simple weather effect to scare the silly brats.

“Calm down! I am going to revert this blunder. Please do not grunt!” he says to the shaking nekker. A moment later, he waves again his left hand and mutters a few strange words only understood by ancient and powerful mages, or not. And yes there has been a change, but only in coloration. Now there lies a glowing golden nekker. “I need to focus. I need silence.” he says, but then he is abruptly interrupted by an approaching loud bunch of people. “Are those pitchforks? How can I explain this complex situation to an angry mob with pitchforks? May all the ancient and powerful mages of the universe help us! We need a portal fast!” He raises his hands and staff and yes there appears a portal. He grabs the young golden nekker and shouts hopefully “Home here we go!” vanishing into the light.

Now begins a new Gwent adventure, because our heroes do not find themselves at home, surrounded by magic books and old furniture. We can find them in the Korath Desert, surrounded by sand monsters or in Zerrikania or in Mahakam, who knows?

The player dresses the skin of the old mage, afflicted by a severe case of forgetfulness, and begins his adventure with a starter Gwent deck chosen from any of the factions (including Syndicate). His leader ability can be a Call of the Golden Nekker, who will participate in the game with a special effect, initially can be random, but as long as the adventure develops, the randomness can be reduced. The games can be fights or/and puzzles with special rules inspired in the Thronebreaker style.

There can be a specific tree for the golden nekker tales, which will provide the player with resources to improve his deck. Some of the nods of this tree can be animated portals, with will lead our heroes to other locations. In some of this locations, the player can find different opponents (dwarfs, elves, Gwent players in a tavern in Oxenfurt, …). Dialog choices can be added here, to obtain information about the strengths and weaknesses of opponent’s decks. The player can prepare his deck accordingly or can be misled. Our heroes must be prepared for every kind of difficulties. The player can make choices, which will lead to a different path and therefore the tree associated with this adventure can be dynamic, with different shapes and “endings” depending on the player choices.

Our heroes aim to obtain a portal, which will help them to reach the mage’s home where they can find the magic books with the solution for the golden nekker affliction. Affliction? Is that so bad to be a golden nekker, with a life full of adventures and a powerful (yet a bit forgetful) mage’s friendship?

Please accept my apologies for my non-native english. Cheers and Great Game!

I'd like to see a series of battles vs the 4 factions, every battle showing different gwent archetypes, which scalates in difficulty. This should be possible because now some decks are played almost in auto mode. So we could see a battle vs Viy for instance. I suppose the problem with IA, which I noticed in training mode, is that it just passes automatically when has not the points, it just can't see that sometimes you can win going 2 cards down in some situations.

Maybe you play some sort of a student of a witcher school and your main quest is to find the mysterious GOLDEN NEKKER. He has to choose one of many paths to try his luck. On his way to more clues he must face other monsters like ordinary Nekkers and other students who want to be become a legend as well. The very last station of his journey (think Thronebreaker) could be a bossfight - but only if he is lucky, he will find what he is looking for. Or some devil will whisper: "Thank you! But our nekker is in another castle..."

I think it's going to be some sort of "solo arena", where you upgrade your deck after every win and progress throught the story by defeating a boss and thus completing the run.

I think it will be like Witcher Story telling where you can use your own deck and make story around it, oooor it will be like small version of thronebreaker

Top Bottom