Projectile Launch System: Complete overhaul

+
I love the concept of the PLS cyberware, and the Edgerunners anime made it appear to be this god-tier super weapon that could completely obliterate your enemies...but in game...not so much. So I've come up with a complete overhaul to make it not only useful but POTENTIALLY (with the right build) the most powerful weapon in the game. But first, I want to get this out of the way; it's still objectively broken. By that I mean it's labeled as a smart weapon, but it's actually not. No lock on, no target tracking at all, busted UI when you aim it...let's stop pretending it's a smart weapon. But I'll be addressing that. So to begin with I've got a nice little list of nerfs.

1; completely remove any references to a smart targeting system. It doesn't work anyway.
2; completely remove tranquilizer rounds from the game. They were only really sought after for cyberpsychos...who are now immune. Just remove them.
3; reduce projectile speed. Right now it seems this thing doesn't actually fire anything, it just spawns an instant explosion somewhere around the place you're aiming...sometimes. Because of this even if/when the smart lock works, it doesn't FEEL like it works. Slow this thing down so we can SEE the projectile we're launching.
4; Replace the cool down with reloading after every shot. That's right; reloading. That means...
5; make it use ammo. Doesn't make sense that it could just magically spawn an unlimited supply of grenades, especially since there is no president in the game for such technology. So ammo is pretty much required. I say shotgun rounds, since in real life those can be custom made pretty easily and packed with all sorts of little extra goodies.

Well now that I've completely ruined an already underwhelming piece of equipment, I guess I should fix it. So here is another list of changes for you.

1; Baseline the weapon fires in a straight line, with the projectile detonating upon impact. Always goes right for the center of the screen, so no guess work when aiming the thing.
2; chemical rounds are now properly tagged as non-lethal. Now we basically have our tranquillizer rounds back, but in a way that isn't overpowered, and can still effect psychos. Additionally make them benefit from any bonuses you have to chemical damage and the poison status effect, because grenades are Cool.
3; It's now internally tagged as a grenade launcher, and respects ALL grenade perks. Damage, visual area of effect, ability to cause critical hits; ALL OF IT.
4; time to add some new mods to this thing. Four, specifically.
4-1: Rubberized coating; your projectiles now ricochet as if fired from a Power Weapon. This also allows the weapon to respect any ricochet related perks and cyberware.
4-2: Modified Rail System; the PSL now acts as a Tech Weapon, charging as soon as you aim. Explosions can now pierce walls for reduced damage, but the PLS now benefits from all charge related perks and cyberware. [Alternative] The PSL's projectile is able to pierce walls as if fired from a tech weapon, doing reduced damage upon impact to the target. The explosion phase happens after a shot delay, detonating on the far side of the obstruction.
4-3: Smart-Lock; what the weapon is supposed to have now, but in a way that actually works. This obviously now also benefits from all smart related perks and cyberware.
4-4: Sticky Bombs; exactly what you'd think; grenades now stick to surfaces and detonate when a hostile NPC comes within range, effectively converting the weapon into a mine-layer.
4-IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE; So those four new mods; mutually exclusive. I think that's pretty self evident, but thought I should say it just in case. You CAN'T make this thing into a smart tech weapon that ricochets.

Well that's my idea. Probably never going to happen, but a man can dream.

Last edited:
Projectile launcher was actually pretty good before patch 1.3 or 1.5, when they nerfed just about everything. But these are good suggestions. I don't like making grenade perks affect the damage, area of affect, and critical damage of the projectile launcher. Because it should be it's own thing. I mean, what would be the use of grenades if you can just use the projectile launcher, that would essentially deal out more damage? At the very least I would like projectile launcher and grenades to be on par with one another.

Projectile launcher was actually pretty good before patch 1.3 or 1.5, when they nerfed just about everything. But these are good suggestions. I don't like making grenade perks affect the damage, area of affect, and critical damage of the projectile launcher. Because it should be it's own thing. I mean, what would be the use of grenades if you can just use the projectile launcher, that would essentially deal out more damage? At the very least I would like projectile launcher and grenades to be on par with one another.
What's the point of using a sword when you have mantis blades? And if we're doing that then shouldn't mantis blades NOT use blade perks? Should probably make the arms not count as blunt weapons while we're at it...

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I find that argument to be ridiculous; the other arm mods all are classified as a given weapon type and inherent the relevant perks, even if it doesn't make sense for them to do so (monowire should do slashing damage and count as a blade, not a blunt weapon). So making the PLS count as a grenade weapon actually brings it in-line with the other options. It NEEDS to be brought up to that level. And as far as why use regular grenades when you can use it...damage types. You can't change out its mods quickly in combat, so if you want to swap grenade types to suit the situation your only option is to carry actual grenades too. I'd probably load the thing with chemical grenades (taking some poison boosting perks from Cool, such as the one that makes it effect machines), and then carry some EMP grenades for when I need to shutdown cyberware. There also isn't mods for recon grenades, so you'll still need them unless you're playing a netrunner-techie.

I haven't played much since launch but I always thought the projectile system was really underwhelming (which really disappoints me hearing that they got nerfed). Though, it struggles with the same problem that other cyberware have: it's just another thing of something that already exists in game. Mantis blades are swords, gorilla arms is blunt fists, and the projectile system is just grenades. Not to say that is inherently bad, these cyberware need to have a type of damage and for some it at least frees up a weapon slot if need be. However none are that special to justify using it over their weapon equivalent. They would've been if they kept some of their other abilities that were promised originally (I.e. monowire as a hard hack, Mantis claws to wall climb). Though a return of those would mean either a complete systems revamp of 2077 or wait until the next game to see if the promised gameplay systems would be implemented.

Anyways, back to the projectile system. I still can't think of a good way of making it unique. I certainly like your ideas as it's definitely an improvement (having it lay out mines is definitely interesting as a melee counter), but it still leads to the same problem: projectile system is an extra gun or grenade. Maybe that's all it needs to be, but we are already carrying at least 2-3 guns and a mix of grenades on us. It needs a bit more to make it 1) feel like a devastating weapon, and 2) unique to justify its use.

I want to love the projectile launch system so much but it's such a broken mess. When it was powerful it was easy to kill yourself with it, and now even if I manage to aim it right and hit something, I might as well be throwing wet tissue paper at enemies.

Mostly I would like to see some sort of targeting reticle and lock-on. Description says it uses SMART tech so perhaps a variant of what we get with those guns that behaves in the same way.

Completely agree that different functions should be added; let's have shotgun/SMG types (I imagine something like the Shingen SMG or Palica Shotgun) on top of aoe grenade function. I love the idea of a concealed weapon and that V is incapable of being unarmed, there's so much potential with this cyberware.

gits sac.jpg

Inherent SMART tech might make it interesting if you could combo it with the other types: SMART x Tech = seeks out multiple enemies and can pierce through a few of them and some objects BUT can only move in one direction, SMART x Power = bounces off multiple enemies but can't pierce through them BUT can move in multiple directions, SMART x Mines = sticks on enemies and makes them flee/distracted trying to pull it off. I don't know if these combos would be different enough from each other or they still need some reworking, but best I could come up with. Maybe even allow it to switch between effect types during combat (like Borderlands 3, not sure about this one though).

Mixing the projectile system with different fire rates/spread via different gun types could also juice it up too. Shotguns giving you a more widespread that can damage a bunch of enemies at the same time, or deal significant blow to a single one. SMGs basically upping the fire rate but reducing the SMART system at close range to give the player more control over it, but more reload (idk about this one).

I think, though, we've landed on something that could make the projectile system both powerful and unique: letting the player create their own customised gun. Rather than having to find a gun, you could fine-tune your projectile system to be the exact kind of gun you need in whatever situation or whatever suits your character. Plus the customisability lets it fit in a lot of different types of builds, I'd imagine at least. Gives it a bit more personality too.

It would still need a revamp of existing systems to kind of make it special (e.g. guns have a permanent effect mod, projectile system can have effect mods that are switchable) but I think this lands on something good. It doesn't necessarily deviate from it's primary purpose (not like Mantis Claws and wallrunning) but it's something more unique compared to other cyberware. Of course, definitely could not see them implementing this in the current state of the game but CP2077: The Squeakuel could do something like this.

Top Bottom