Proper fix for coin flip balance.

+
How about getting a card like the last wish, which adds some value while not being too specific on deck types? (as you said your solution is better to some factions)

Anyway, good thinking. Such a mechanic is indeed needed.

pngpl;n8849820 said:
Why not having a rock-paper-scissors round before start?

You're definitely not helping... a debate would be welcome, with either side, but this is just a bad taste joke used in a wrong situation.

How about this: whoever has to go first gets a 1 strength no ability unit and he can place it on any row he wants. Then he makes his move. This can give some advantages like protection from 1 Epidemic, an option to position your units around this one to protect from weather or d-bomb, extra body for buffs etc.

QESiriusWolf;n8851310 said:
You're definitely not helping... a debate would be welcome, with either side, but this is just a bad taste joke used in a wrong situation.

Ok , you may not appreciate my joke but I will explain what this suggests:

First off all, I think it is obvious but I have to write it : The player that goes 1st is at disadvantage. I think we all agree to that.

You want to solve it by giving an extra card to the player that goes first.
This achieves exactly the opposite of our problem. Now the player that goes first has card advantage. (Equal cards in hand + 1 extra in the field).

The proposal of the original poster, if it works like the way I understood it, has one flaw in my eyes. It can kill decks or strategies that rely on winning the 1st round.
OR
If the opponent has a card or a mechanism that will give him 50% chance to win the average deck in the 1st round, decks that are below average in winning in the 1st round should always pass.
It is a bigger change than ignalol had in mind. I am very skeptical about it.

The rock-paper-scissors post means that I prefer the coin flip over a rushed change.
Right now we have 50% chance to be in an advantage/disadvantage. Statistically, in the long run your win/loss ratio will not be affected by going 1st or 2nd.
The coin flip is not an elegant solution but it is fair. In the long run it does not affect anything. Only in individual games.

I have a suggestion I submitted to CDPR; The player that is forced to play first receives an additional mulligan option. Although this is subtle, it does not yield card advantage, just ensures card quality and could close the difference in win % by a small margin.

Or you each reveal a card from your hand. Whoever reveals card with highest value goes last. Cards revealed are then shuffled back into their respective deck, and each player draws another card.

Basically this would allow players to both get an extra mulligan, while having to decide just how much acting second is worth to them given the hand they were dealt.

Edit: Ties would be resolved by coinflip.

/shrug

Last edited:
Pravicors;n8877680 said:
Or you each reveal a card from your hand. Whoever reveals card with highest value goes last. Cards revealed are then shuffled back into their respective deck, and each player draws another card./shrug

That would favor decks with high unit strength. This locks you into a certain archetype which is not something you would want.

Pravicors;n8877680 said:
Or you each reveal a card from your hand. Whoever reveals card with highest value goes last. Cards revealed are then shuffled back into their respective deck, and each player draws another card.

Basically this would allow players to both get an extra mulligan, while having to decide just how much acting second is worth to them given the hand they were dealt.

Edit: Ties would be resolved by coinflip.

/shrug

I second that. Best solution i found so far.

4RM3D;n8878020 said:
That would favor decks with high unit strength. This locks you into a certain archetype which is not something you would want.

It would, again, depend on the player.

Personally, I don't place as great a value on going second as a lot of people do. I view it as a luxury, but not absolutely critical to winning. Put another way, I've never forfeited a game right after the coinflip.

So I'm never going to build my deck around the idea of high unit strength alone, at the expense of synergy and utility.

And beyond that, I'm not revealing an Archgriffin, for example, and having it get shuffled back into my deck. It's more valuable to me in my hand -- I'm probably going to need it later, whether I go first or not.

So yes, YOU might feel locked into a certain archetype. I, on the otber hand, would just have to get used to acting first in round one all the time, which would be my choice

Xantaro;n8878110 said:
How about first played unit in game gets shield effect ?
Yeah that might be a simpler, better solution as well.

Last edited:
Solution is easy.
Instead of a random coinflip both players chose secretly a number from 0 to X. The Player with the higher number is allowed to play second, but the starting player will get a Token with the strenght of the Number.

Example:
Player A choses 7
Player B choses 9
Numbers gets revealed --> Player A has to begin the match, but he will start with a token of 9 str on the board.

This way randomness is completely removed, and we have another strategic element, as we have to consider how much points we are willing to sacrifice for going second.

fleischhobbit

That means most players will probably always choose 9. Seeing as card advantage spy cards cost +10 strength. And also, just like with the suggestion above, it will favor certain type of decks. So, this is not the solution either.

4RM3D;n8880910 said:
That means most players will probably always choose 9. Seeing as card advantage spy cards cost +10 strength. And also, just like with the suggestion above, it will favor certain type of decks. So, this is not the solution either.
You could atleast think about it a bit deeper. If the true value of playing second is worth 9, than we will have a fair match starting with 9. But if it turns out that certain decks have advantage with a 9 point lead you can simply adjust to them by chosing a lower number and vice versa. Giving the choice to the players how much they are willing to sacrifice replaces rng with skill.

Top Bottom