Proper Temporal Anti-Aliasing (TAA) for Witcher 3! Can it be done?

+

Guest 3841499

Proper Temporal Anti-Aliasing (TAA) for Witcher 3! Can it be done?

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - Redux and Fallout 4 come with TAA options, not the crappy TAA that Witcher 3 supposedly uses, but TAA that eradicates 99% of aliasing at the cost of significant blur. Witcher 3 already comes with high sharpness options that frankly make certain things like foliage very grainy. TAA combined with such sharpness would result in nearly-perfect image! Personally I use the high sharpness setting + in-game AA and to soften those grainy edges I use ReShade FXAA (with Sub-Pixel AA set to 0.25). The end result is good, way better than light sharpness + in-game AA.

Just imagine, going through Novigrad without any shimmering aliasing. It would be priceless!

I know 3d party injectors/wrappers like ReShade won't be able to make it happen because TAA needs to be coded/applied to each game specifically.. I am not sure if some TAA code is needed, but it is known how TAA technology works. I was just wondering if any modders could do it because CDPR won't bother with it.

Thought It's been cleared up 1000 times that the rendering pipeline cannot be accessed without a proper REDkit...
Are we supposed to do miracles?

Man I really do not get how there's a constant influx of absurd, unrealistic requests like this, when the modding capabilities have been documented, discussed and debated so many times both here and on the subreddit.

Last edited:
You can always use DSR if you want to get rid of further jaggies. But that might end up eating more of your performance than you would like.

Thought It's been cleared up 1000 times that the rendering pipeline cannot be accessed without a proper REDkit...
Are we supposed to do miracles?

Man I really do not get how there's a constant influx of absurd, unrealistic requests like this, when the modding capabilities have been documented, discussed and debated so many times both here and on the subreddit.

Not everyone has constantly kept up with this aspect of the game in order to know every single thing about it. How you even got redpoints for such an abrasive post is beyond me.

Not everyone has constantly kept up with this aspect of the game in order to know every single thing about it. How you even got redpoints for such an abrasive post is beyond me.
Abrasive? If you want to go that road I could call the op the same.
Someone who isn't newly registered and whom I see on this part of the forums all the time, couldn't bother himself with a few minutes of research into the modding capabilities of the game.
Even someone who doesn't know that much already knows that the modding tools are garbage, it's enough of a hassle to do simple re-textures and most mods consist of either that or scripting.
But even with that knowledge he goes ahead and posts a request for something as complex as an entire new form of Anti Aliasing, even in games with far better modding capabilities such thing almost never is possible.

This is a far cry from "knowing every single thing about it". A minimal amount of knowledge as not to make insolent requests, to me it shows how much for granted people take modders, he didn't bother to spare one moment of his time to see what he was asking.

I got some appreciation for my comment because people, especially ones like @KNGRSM, who have done a lot in the modding scene, are tired of getting the same ridiculous requests and questions from people who can't bother making an effort of researching anything for a minute.

Last edited:

Guest 2364765

Thought It's been cleared up 1000 times that the rendering pipeline cannot be accessed without a proper REDkit.
I don't think that even with RedKit you could access that. At best it would be possible to slap shader based solutions as post processing in environment definitions (seeing HoS has a painting shader effect). But i doubt you could actually implement anything serious in the actual rendered using RedKit.

Abrasive? If you want to go that road I could call the op the same.

A minimal amount of knowledge as not to make insolent requests, to me it shows how much for granted people take modders, he didn't bother to spare one moment of his time to see what he was asking.
Insolent is defined as being rude and arrogant. Asking if TAA would be possible in Witcher 3 is not insolent nor is it abrasive. Going off on someone for not possessing modding and technical knowledge is far more in line with insolence and abrasiveness. How you can even think a simple question about AA even remotely implies that modders are taken for granted is even more ridiculous.

It is mind blowing how some modders get pissy over such simple and harmless questions. This is the type of stuff that makes a community toxic and unwelcome.

Last edited:
I don't think that even with RedKit you could access that. At best it would be possible to slap shader based solutions as post processing in environment definitions (seeing HoS has a painting shader effect). But i doubt you could actually implement anything serious in the actual rendered using RedKit.
Depends on how much access it would give into the engine, I suppose I was being optimistic for the sake of argument, since CDPR said that it would be much more advanced than the Witcher 2 REDkit.

For example, SMAA T2x, which is probably one of the most popular temporal aliasing solutions, uses 1 sample from the 3D scene per pixel, but average it with the previous frame, so it covers 2 frames in time. It's 2x is temporal .. over time (hence the T in T2x).
To get 2 samples per pixel you must first render the scene and then move the camera a tiny bit in the scene and render it again and there is no way to do this in a generic way that fits all games.
This is why the Reshade developers have nor will be able to implement it into an injector.
It's not impossible to do if you design the injector specifically for one game but even so it requires that you reverse engineer the game rendering and then modify a LOT of draw calls to make the engine do this.
Depending on how good the new REDkit would be, perhaps it would be doable, perhaps not.

Top Bottom