Property Ownership

+
Property Ownership

I think it would be a nice mechanic to be able to buy property across the city--aside from having different hideouts, it could be a way of generating additional income. Ideally it'd be nice to have the ability to register them under false names, and some rudimentary management options. I know that some people are more combat inclined than others, but let's say you want to run a low-level fixer, or corp? Being able to directly control an asset such as an apartment complex/gas station/et cetera would be a nice mechanic in terms of immersion, as well as an easy way to cook the books on the side. I'm not trying to turn it into a high definition Sim Hotel (please tell me someone out there remembers playing it), just giving a nice idea for complete diversification.

Sounds a bit like the Saints Row mechanic.

In the context of a protection racket or a front for a gang, it makes sense. In the context of an individual Edgerunner, it doesn't make as much sense.

I'm not outright opposed to this mechanic, but it'd have to be introduced in a way that meshed with the story narrative.

I don't think I'd make it a class exclusive - that's pretty artificial. I might make it a difficulty check of Nearly Impossible unless you have certain connections, SS number, etc. So a Solo or Nomad might have to have skills like Persuade/Fast Talk and Finance ay 8-10 in order for it to pop up as a dialogue option, whereas a corp or Fixer would see it at 3-4 and as they got better and better would have more and interesting purchases to make later.

I don't think I'd make it a class exclusive - that's pretty artificial. I might make it a difficulty check of Nearly Impossible unless you have certain connections, SS number, etc. So a Solo or Nomad might have to have skills like Persuade/Fast Talk and Finance ay 8-10 in order for it to pop up as a dialogue option, whereas a corp or Fixer would see it at 3-4 and as they got better and better would have more and interesting purchases to make later.

Well, I am still working off the dream that we will be able to multi-role freely...

Barring that, no, nothing should be truly role exclusive.

Since when Night City = peace, love and equality? Making property exclusive for Corporates would help us feel the inequality of the CP world, the division between classes and how some are better than others.

More like how the game design is too weak to embrace a deeper mechanic than some magic rule saying, "no, you may have earned 400,000 eb through your endeavouors but you shall NEVER own a non-crappy apartment."

Inequality is pretty easy to portray in Cyberpunk, but Role boundaries are already silly enough without adding more artificial limits.

More like how the game design is too weak to embrace a deeper mechanic than some magic rule saying, "no, you may have earned 400,000 eb through your endeavouors but you shall NEVER own a non-crappy apartment."

Inequality is pretty easy to portray in Cyberpunk, but Role boundaries are already silly enough without adding more artificial limits.

Amen and Hallelujah!

Buying multiple safe houses might be possible for solo, fixer or techie - and by that I mean run down, derelict buildings, nothing more than hideouts. Owning and renting property sounds like a Corporate skill to me. We'll see what they do, but this is a mechanic to consider.

Sure. So let Corporate own property from the start and have shitloads of EB, while the rest has to work their ass off for it. More fair and immersive and realistic?

Sure. So let Corporate own property from the start and have shitloads of EB, while the rest has to work their ass off for it. More fair and immersive and realistic?

Um.... corporates start off just as schmucky as everyone else... they just have to wear a tie...

Up until until your Resources get to around 5, a corp is just another office drone, sitting in a cubicle, talking about his stapler.

Yeah, and that's BORING, Wisdom. Which is why you and I don't play them. Gregski has a point - make them cool and privileged from the start.

I recall playing star Wars in the West End system and coming across Smuggler. reading the description, I saw they started with a spaceship! Damn! Everyone ese had to earn one, but the smuggler - he just goes right out there!

I think that's be a nice bennie for starting Corps - you get cool stuff right away. Sure, it's owned by PetroChem or whoeever you work for, but you have control of it. Fits nicely into my hope thta non-combat characters can be effective and have minions, servants, mercs, and AV-4s to do their killing -for- them.

It's about balance, Wisdom.

So the Corporate could start with "cash, money, cars, clothes" but he would suck in other things, like combat for example. And he would have to obey certain corporate rules, do certain jobs he might not agree with just to hold his position...The other way round, Solo handles combat situations with ease, but he doesn't have resources or social skills of Corp. Nomad has freedom and noone to report to, but at the same time other downsides etc.

I think this kind of approach is close to CDPR's writing style of choices where everyone loses and grey moral areas.

EDIT: of course, CDPR already stated that CP2077 will be a story of someone that rises from the gutter and works his way up the ladder, fighting teh big evil corporations. That part worries me, as it sounds like a cliche of almost every RPG out there :(

EDIT: of course, CDPR already stated that CP2077 will be a story of someone that rises from the gutter and works his way up the ladder, fighting teh big evil corporations. That part worries me, as it sounds like a cliche of almost every RPG out there :(

Well I think we can expect it to not be a cliche. The way you handle these evil corporations is probably different from role to role. If you're a a Corporate then the way you handle it is that those other corporations are just competition, whereas they might be the devil incarnite and must be destroyed in the views of other roles. I fully trust CDPR to make a good story.

But back on topic. While I think a corporate could start out with some bonuses in his/hers area of expertise I think an apartment (even a shitty one) or some sort of business is a bit much. Although I think that owning and managing such things would be a big part in the corporate role although not limited to it. Even a Solo or Nomad should be able to own a deli or gas station on the side for a little bit of extra cash.
When it comes to apartments I think they would be important in the game for the following reasons.
1. A place to call home.
2. Stashing equipment/cash you don't need at the time.
3. The possibility of owning something will increase immersion.
4. A safe haven or sanctuary were you feel safe and can cool off and watch the view.

It's about balance, Wisdom.

CP 2077 is going to have a lot of cliches compared to the Witcher, I'm preparing myself for that. Sapkowski's world is unique in its own right and that put CDPR at a huge advantage in regard to world building. The very essence of Cyberpunk 2020 seems pretty cliche to me. It doesn't have to be all bad though, as long as they subvert or show familiar tropes in new light.

OT: I'd put corps in a cubicle staring at their stapler as Wisdom suggested, but give them access to unique gameplay opportunities so that they can climb the social ladder faster than any other class. Besides, part of becoming a douchebag CEO is the journey to the top. :cool:

The douchebag top. The DoucheTop.

My Wondeerful Slimy Journey to the DoucheTop: One Guttercorp's Story!

I don't really want them to spend too much time on things like this. There is only a limited amount of resources to make the game and buying properties everywhere just doesn't seem to fit the idea of Cyberpunk (at least, not to me).

I think that's be a nice bennie for starting Corps - you get cool stuff right away. Sure, it's owned by PetroChem or whoeever you work for, but you have control of it. Fits nicely into my hope thta non-combat characters can be effective and have minions, servants, mercs, and AV-4s to do their killing -for- them.

This could actually be really cool, especially if the main story has something happen to your position as an employee. Perhaps you start with everything and are forced to give it all up..

It would be nice if you could buy a old, run down house and fix it up a little... (Fixing it up enough to live in, i really don't want this game to become a housing sims)

Top Bottom