Proposed Scoia'tael Changes

+
Proposed Scoia'tael Changes

Right now a few key things contribute to making Scoia'tael an incredibly oppressive faction to play against:

- Inherent Card Advantage (Faction ability)
- Unparalled access to spells (Elven Mercenary)
- Incredible Reach (Spells via Elven Mercenary, Isengrim, Saskia, Aglais)
- Strong carry-over (Vrihedd Dragoon)

These points reflect the recent Gwentlemen's Article on Scoia'tael. I'm citing an excerpt from it here, though I can recommend reading the whole thing at: http://gwentlemen.com/crusade-against-scoiatael/

"Reach refers to cards which can equalize large differences in points or provide the ability to catch up quickly. Scoia’tael’s faction ability is very strong when they can take round 1, there’s no doubt about it. But when they cannot do so, it doesn’t look so hot. Instead of being a free card advantage tool, it becomes a mediocre ability which adds very little to their total power or game plan. That’s why taking round 1 is a necessity for the faction.

Earlier I mentioned that their bronze cards have relatively low power, yet they still consistently can take round 1. The reason for that is the existence of 2 particular cards: Saskia and Isengrim. In my eyes, those two cards are the culprits behind allScoia hate. Isengrim is a value generator that allows the player to equalize the strength of the Scoia’tael player’s low-power cards thanks to his ability to spawn a 3-strength Commando Neophyte for every special cast. Combined with Elven Mercenary and First Light, he becomes ridiculously strong, often generating 20+ value when drawn in round 1. Saskia, on the other hand, is a power equalizer. Because round 1 is so important for a Scoia player, they often play a long round 1, sometimes to the last card. These are the situations Saskia thrives in. The longer the round takes the stronger Saskia becomes, and creating 30 power swings is not a rarity for her.
Combining these two cards in round 1 nearly guarantees the round win, which results in the ability to punish opponent in later rounds with the faction passive and Vrihedd Dragoon’s ability"

I concur completely with the Isengrim and Saskia assessment, but I don't think they are the only culprits. Elven Mercenary, despite numerous nerfs, is still arguably the best bronze unit in the game, providing both a 4 body, thinning, spells whose values can skyrocket, and is the primary source of Isengrim synergy (and, by extension, Saskia). Moreover, as per the excerpt above, ST can reliably take round 1 without sacrificing key cards; they rarely, if ever, have to use their Dragooned keep or Aglais. They can take round 1 without any notable sacrifice compared to other deck types, where you can force out key abilities (Henselt's promote, Harald's tremors, Dagon's weather or rally to preserve a keep while trying to keep up).

This begs the question, what should be done about those cards? Right now my experience around 5.1k MMR is that 50-75% of all matches on any given evening are Scoia'tael. It was also, to a lesser extent, my experience at lower MMR. Such a predominance of a single faction is obviously not healthy for the game - something must be done. In the past, I have advocated against nerfing Scoia'tael, Monsters, Discard Skellige and the like - I believe it is better to buff other factions into comparable level. Part of Scoia'tael's current popularity is that it plays amazingly. It is fun, strong, it has answers, it has control, it has enough reach to keep the opponent guessing, it gives interesting choices to the ST player and imposes difficult choices on the opponent due to the emphasis on CA. Even as a predominantly Monster player, I have to admire the current design of ST - it's really, really strong and... it just feels good to play.

Therefore, I would rather not, despite not being one of the primary benefactors of the current state of ST, nerf ST to oblivion like Discard Skellige was. I detest the Blizzard approach of sledgehammer nerfing anything strong into oblivion. I would rather we buff other factions. Nevertheless, I would make a few tweaks to ST that provide slight nerfs while preserving the uniqueness of the problematic cards:

- Saskia from 7 to 5 strength.
- Aglais from 5 to 4 strength.
- Elven Mercenary from 4 to 3 strength.
- Vrihedd Dragoon from 5 to 6 strength, adds 3 strength to card in hand instead of 4.
- Commando Neophyte from 3 to 2 strength.
- Isengrim from 7 to 9 strength.
- Fireball Trap from 1 to 2 strength.
- Vrihedd Vanguard from 5 to 6 strength.
- Milva can only return Bronze units to hand.

It would preserve the current archetype, yet those minor tweaks would bring ST in line without compromising its identity.

First and foremost, it would limit the reach of the ST deck ever so slightly (a few points, but it'd be enough to make r1 much more contested). Furthermore, the above-stated changes accomplish several things:

- Due to changing the 2 core Vrihedd units to 6 strength, bringing them in line with Aelirenn, ST would be more vulnerable to Scorch/G:Igni.
- Changing Neophyte's to 2 strength makes them more vulnerable to Old Speartip, War Longship, Reinforced Trebuchet, Nithral, Malena, Brokvar Archers, Myrgetebrakke etc... You get the idea. Them having the chance of being removed faster can either force out an earlier Saskia, limit the impact of Saskia, and/or simply normalize the ST player's strength. The importance of removing bodies more easily, even by collateral damage such as Reinforced Trebuchet, cannot be overstated; any body removed limits the huge potential powerswing from Saskia.

These tweaks doesn't infringe upon the faction's core identities (Ambush, access to spells, inherent CA, carry-over) or the control elements that are beloved by ST players. It slightly nerfs the obnoxious reach that ST currently enjoys, without completely gutting ST's ability to really fight for round 1. It opens up additional counter play vs. ST, while presenting the ST player with more meaningful choices compared to currently, where ST is almost exclusively reactive (with many answers to any given situation). As much as I, as a non-ST player, hate these answers, I think it's good flavour that is worth preserving.

The Milva change would prevent the Roach abuse for CA, which is the only use she sees right now, and open up for her to be used in a more versatile way (as I assume she was intended to; returning a buffed Axeman, Impera Enforcer, Vran Warrior, NR buffed card). Furthermore, she can, if the ST player begins, still generate Card Advantage IF the opponent plays suboptimally (putting down Operator/a spy/a gold card after, say, the ST player has put down a Dragoon or other non-relentless bronze).

I believe these changes would have a healthy impact on the meta, but as always, feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:
It seems you have awakened from your slumber Nimraphel and you are making your rounds on the forum once again, posting a lot of stuff about Scoai'tael. I agree the faction needs some change. However, I find it odd you've mentioned a lot of cards but didn't mention Operator on a buffed Toruviel/Sapper with Morenn.

Furthermore, I don't think Saskia and Isengrim are really an issue. They can become very strong with the proper setup, but that's exactly the idea behind playing such combos. Though I will say one thing about Saskia; she can be used too easily and without risk, unlike Yen, who can potentially create an even bigger power swing. Speaking of power swings; using YenCon and Igni can create some painful scenarios too. Even then, those cards are still fine.

Milva + Roach isn't an issue on its own. Scoia'tael already having a lot of CA options, makes the Milva combo too prevalent. If the card belonged to Monsters, no change would have been needed. Regardless, making Milva target only bronze units isn't the solution. It would seem more logical to change the order in which Roach appears, meaning it also impacts BTM and Vilgefortz, which seems to be a bane to a lot of players.

For the record, I am playing on rank 15 and Brouver's Ambush and Henselt's Gold make up about 90% of the opponents. Scoai'tael is a challenge indeed, but Henselt is still worse for me. Certain Henselt match-ups really want to make me go:

4RM3D;n8514320 said:
It seems you have awakened from your slumber Nimraphel and you are making your rounds on the forum once again, posting a lot of stuff about Scoai'tael. I agree the faction needs some change. However, I find it odd you've mentioned a lot of cards but didn't mention Operator on a buffed Toruviel/Sapper with Morenn.

I must admit that I haven't faced a single Operator + Ambush + Morenn card for the past month. No kidding, I haven't encountered it, I assumed it had fallen out of favour for the more consistent ST decks.

I think Ambush is a core aspect of the ST faction's identity, therefore I think the only solution is to give a neutral Morenn equivalent. If Ambush cards become susceptible to spells and other effects it opens up a whole different can of worms both technically and balance-wise, I think. Furthermore, the 1 point nerf to Dragoon's keep, which I proposed, would diminish the impact slightly.

4RM3D;n8514320 said:
Furthermore, I don't think Saskia and Isengrim are really an issue. They can become very strong with the proper setup, but that's exactly the idea behind playing such combos. Though I will say one thing about Saskia; she can be used too easily and without risk, unlike Yen, who can potentially create an even bigger power swing. Speaking of power swings; using YenCon and Igni can create some painful scenarios too. Even then, those cards are still fine.

I respect your opinion, but I hope at least you'll acknowledge it goes against the broad consensus in the competitive community about these cards. Hypothetically, weather could neutralize the combo and/or cards you mentioned; Isengrim, Saskia and Elven Merc are the culprits behind the insane reach of Scoia'tael at the moment. That, at least, we must be able to agree on? The Operator + Buffed Ambush + Morenn is a non-issue if ST wasn't reliably able to secure round 1 with either one or more of those cards.

The combo you mention is only an issue if you cannot bleed the ST player in round 2. If you can, it's a non-issue as you can force these cards out. The culprits behind the difficulty of that is the triumvirate of cards I mentioned above. I think you're mistaken, and that the changes I proposed would address the fundamental issue of ST's reach, which in turn would address the collateral issues that you describe :)

4RM3D;n8514320 said:
Milva + Roach isn't an issue on its own. Scoia'tael already having a lot of CA options, makes the Milva combo too prevalent. If the card belonged to Monsters, no change would have been needed. Regardless, making Milva target only bronze units isn't the solution. It would seem more logical to change the order in which Roach appears, meaning it also impacts BTM and Vilgefortz, which seems to be a bane to a lot of players.

I agree it is only a major issue due to Milva belonging to Scoia'tael. However, I doubt Milva was designed with her current use in mind; I think, correct me if I am wrong, she was designed to offset big buffed units, which ST generally lacks sans the Dragoon buffed 3rd round card. Changing her the way I propose would be in line with what I assume was her design intent, and remove the CA option except in specific scenarios, which I outlined in my post.

I generally dislike the change you proposed, with Roach spawning afterwards, although I can imagine that is the solution they will ultimately opt for. I don't personally use BTM, so it wouldn't impact me, but I don't think nerfing it further by this change indirectly is desirable; right now it has niche use, with your proposed change it would limit it even further.

As for Vilgefortz, I am indifferent to it; often NG can roast a Vicovaro Medic instead. However, given the appalling state of NG, I also think indirectly nerfing Vilgefortz further is undesirable. With my proposed change, these interactions would be preserved, while addressing the Milva issue.

4RM3D;n8514320 said:
For the record, I am playing on rank 15 and Brouver's Ambush and Henselt's Gold make up about 90% of the opponents. Scoai'tael is a challenge indeed, but Henselt is still worse for me. Certain Henselt match-ups really want to make me go:

It would be more helpful to know your mmr range, I think, also to give people a better impression on how the meta is at your given level. Given the lack of ranks beyond 15, rank 15's MMR range currently spans 1500 points, essentially the equivalent to 5 ranks, making it extremely broad both in metas and levels. It would also make it easier to give recommendations on how to deal with those decks, if that would be helpful? Either way, I agree Henselt can be hard to deal with if you lack the answers to his reach, but I must admit that the longer the meta has had time to stabilize, the more Henselt has fallen out of favour - at least from my experience.

Either way, we agree, but see different issues partially due to our different experiences. However, would you not agree that if you reduced ST's reach, making it easier to secure round 1 and bleed him in round 2, the issue of the Morenn+Operator+Ambush would be a non-issue?

Another way to nerf them:

Elven Mercenary could only proc BRONZE spells. It's still strong, but at least make it stop spamming BS after BS

Last edited:
JayNMatz;n8515530 said:
Another way to nerf them:

Elven Mercenary could only proc BRONZE spells. It's still strong, but at least make it stop spamming BS after BS

Would be a buff to them.

Nimraphel

"Many roads lead to Rome" I suppose we both just walk a different path towards the same goal. The points you've mentioned still stand, but I see a different priority. In the end, weakening CA also lessens the potential of a double buffed Toruviel.

I must admit that I haven't played Gwent in the past few weeks, so I don't know how much the meta has shifted. My MMR was about 3.8K. I haven't really tried to push it further.

JayNMatz

That actually really isn't a nerf. See the discussion here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...a/8437960-elven-mercenary-and-silver-specials

4RM3D;n8515610 said:
"Many roads lead to Rome" I suppose we both just walk a different path towards the same goal. The points you've mentioned still stand, but I see a different priority. In the end, weakening CA also lessens the potential of a double buffed Toruviel.

The CA really only comes into play after round 1 / favourable round 1 pass - limiting the reach is key here, because it eliminates both a tactical pass and/or going toe-to-toe with ST, especially if you play a faction that is reliant on ressing (Skellige/NR).

4RM3D;n8515610 said:
I must admit that I haven't played Gwent in the past few weeks, so I don't know how much the meta has shifted. My MMR was about 3.8K. I haven't really tried to push it further.

I think this is very important; I am quite sure you'd find that the meta has drastically changed if you haven't played for a few weeks.

Top Bottom