Proposition of interface improvements based on GWENT KtS Edition

+
Proposition of interface improvements based on GWENT KtS Edition

Hi,

I would like to start a thread where we can post our propositions of improvements in Gwent interface based on GWENT KtS Edition ( Important! not bugs, not changes in cards - I am sure there will be separate threads for them). I am aware it is prebeta version, only for kill the servers etc, BUT still, I think it is good move to let the devs know about our ideas, because they read the forum, don't you, CDP RED? ;) They maybe add some of them in BETA or in the final version.

I will try to update this first post with time and add ideas we will share here. So let's begin:

• Antyaliasing should be available in options (to improve for example the view of cards in deck selection menu)
  • Under TAB key there is some sort of tool to watch replays of the matches. I think it should be more available, not hidden, because it is important feature.
  • Support for resolution higher than FullHD will be nice thing.
  • Some sort of easy and fast way to send feedback to CDPRED, for example from Gwent menu should be added.
  • a quick and easy one - don't blur out the screen when opponent is re-drawing cards. Can use the time to familiarize yourself with the deck and special features while preparing for the game
  • add tool-tips for features on cards - this will be probably coming in beta and beyond but just wanted to throw it out there
  • hide animation of card browsing (cards coming forward when opponent hovers over them) - it is easy to figure out if opponent is using strongest card in the deck etc. just based on placement
  • when opponent pass, there is no need to change player and wait for coin after each card - explained, it is OK
  • When the match begins, beside of the leader card it should also be a description of faction ability. It was in Gamescome version, but there was no such information in KtS Edition. It should be there because I was a bit confused and I didn't know what is the new NR faction ability, because lack of information.
  • A different view mode for re-drawing phase which allows player to check and redraw cards in a glance without scrolling. What we have right now is the equivalent of Big Picture, which is fine if you're sitting on a couch, but we need a view mode that's designed for PC.
  • Display last-played card's ability either below it or as a tooltip. Just like what we have on the right.
  • When an ability that requires player intervention is activated, pause idle timer when animation is playing and restart timer only when control reverted back to player. In KtS1, if your Operator picked your opponent's Operator, which then picked Caretaker, you'll have literally seconds before idle timer runs out even if you act without delay.
  • Clear description for card abilities. Reading Nithral's ability, you would be excused to think its strength would increase or decrease as you play or remove WH units. I recall a match, which at round 3 my strength(12) Nithral and opponent's Ice Giant stayed on the field, and I could clearly see my opponent hovering over Nithral, wondering why it keeps the increased strength, and a moment later forfeits. Adding phrases like "when played" would resolve some of the confusion faced by new players.
  • timer should be visible also when we check details of cards or choose some unit from graveyard
  • zooming cards should be stable connected to right mouse button, because I saw it was once connected to the right and other time to the left button to zoom cards
  • some sort of communication between players: "stick"/text chat with friends/emotes chat with others
  • rematch button
  • flipping coin has to be more responsive, I mean it should react just after I finish my move, NOT after 3-4 seconds
  • time for move should be increased, let's say to full one minute - 60 seconds
  • timer should be visible all the time (not only like it is said in prevoius point, that timer should be visible when we are checking details of the card or looking into graveyard) I mean all the time, from the first to last second. I think it will be better for players, less stress, which is visible when suddenly players see last 30 seconds.
  • screen should be sharp/clear/not blurry when we waiting for the opponent in mulligan state to let us check our cards
  • The loyal/disloyal trait on cards should be explained somewhere cause it gets a lot of people confused. Maybe a tooltip stating what it exactly mean.
  • when match ends before the normal time, some sort of information about the reason of the end should be visible, like "Your opponent has left the game", "You were disconnected from the server", "Connection request timed-out" (that is when you loose your internet connection)"

Last edited:
* a quick and easy one - don't blur out the screen when opponent is re-drawing cards. Can use the time to familiarize yourself with the deck and special features while preparing for the game

* add tool-tips for features on cards - this will be probably coming in beta and beyond but just wanted to throw it out there

* hide animation of card browsing (cards coming forward when opponent hovers over them) - it is easy to figure out if opponent is using strongest card in the deck etc. just based on placement

i really liked the pace of these few games I had today - all I need is a PS4 version ;)

Keymaker7;3012600 [* said:
when opponent pass, there is no need to change player and wait for coin after each card
[/list]

The reason this exists is that some abilities rely on "Start of your turn", "Start of enemy turn", "End of your turn" and "End of enemy turn".

So it purposely switches back rather than letting you play all your cards at once. We tested it out keeping this with the way some of the new abilities work and it didn't really make sense for these abilities to just stop working or to continue to trigger if we kept things as they were.

It could be done more elegantly and we are going to try and speed up when you can interact once the coin has changed to your color. The team are aware of that and always working on improving things :)

The reason this exists is that some abilities rely on "Start of your turn", "Start of enemy turn", "End of your turn" and "End of enemy turn".

So it purposely switches back rather than letting you play all your cards at once. We tested it out keeping this with the way some of the new abilities work and it didn't really make sense for these abilities to just stop working or to continue to trigger if we kept things as they were.

At the beginning, thank you for answer and clarification.

After a while of considering this feature and comparing this with card abilities like for example Kambi or Dun Banner Heavy Cavalery it actually makes sense. After for example our pass the opponent can throw cards and make the game lasts to activate Kambi effect etc.

I added next thing: When the match begins, beside of the leader card it should also be a description of faction ability. It was in Gamescome version, but there was no such information in KtS Edition. It should be there because I was a bit confused and I didn't know what is the new NR faction ability, because lack of information.

I added next thing: When the match begins, beside of the leader card it should also be a description of faction ability. It was in Gamescome version, but there was no such information in KtS Edition. It should be there because I was a bit confused and I didn't know what is the new NR faction ability, because lack of information.

It is missing at the moment due to some changes in the UI, but it should be there in the leader summary at the start and will return in the future :)

My suggestions:

• A different view mode for re-drawing phase which allows player to check and redraw cards in a glance without scrolling. What we have right now is the equivalent of Big Picture, which is fine if you're sitting on a couch, but we need a view mode that's designed for PC.
  • Display last-played card's ability either below it or as a tooltip. Just like what we have on the right.
  • When an ability that requires player intervention is activated, pause idle timer when animation is playing and restart timer only when control reverted back to player. In KtS1, if your Operator picked your opponent's Operator, which then picked Caretaker, you'll have literally seconds before idle timer runs out even if you act without delay.
  • Clear description for card abilities. Reading Nithral's ability, you would be excused to think its strength would increase or decrease as you play or remove WH units. I recall a match, which at round 3 my strength(12) Nithral and opponent's Ice Giant stayed on the field, and I could clearly see my opponent hovering over Nithral, wondering why it keeps the increased strength, and a moment later forfeits. Adding phrases like "when played" would resolve some of the confusion faced by new players.

Last edited:
It is missing at the moment due to some changes in the UI, but it should be there in the leader summary at the start and will return in the future :)
I hope you reconsider the new faction abilities .. For NR it limits you to the promotion style

For Monsters keeping gold units means most of the time monster player would use Eredin (100% guaranteed card since it's the leader) and then pass and gain 2-3 card advantage while keeping the 15 strength next turn because opponent can't do anything to it since it's gold unless they have legendary cards like Dijkstra and then that would be a suboptimal play for them

A different view mode for re-drawing phase which allows player to check and redraw cards in a glance without scrolling. What we have right now is the equivalent of Big Picture, which is fine if you're sitting on a couch, but we need a view mode that's designed for PC.
Display last-played card's ability either below it or as a tooltip. Just like what we have on the right.
When an ability that requires player intervention is activated, pause idle timer when animation is playing and restart timer only when control reverted back to player. In KtS1, if your Operator picked your opponent's Operator, which then picked Caretaker, you'll have literally seconds before idle timer runs out even if you act without delay.
Clear description for card abilities. Reading Nithral's ability, you would be excused to think its strength would increase or decrease as you play or remove WH units. I recall a match, which at round 3 my strength(12) Nithral and opponent's Ice Giant stayed on the field, and I could clearly see my opponent hovering over Nithral, wondering why it keeps the increased strength, and a moment later forfeits. Adding phrases like "when played" would resolve some of the confusion faced by new players.

Added! I come up with new proposition:
- timer should be visible also when we check details of cards or choose some unit from graveyard
- zooming cards should be stable connected to right mouse button, because I saw it was once connected to the right other the left button to zoom cards

Last edited:
- timer should be visible also when we check details of cards or choose some unit from graveyard

I would expand on that and suggest that whenever the choose a card interface, or anything that obscure the board shows up, there should be a mouse-over button that turns the whole thing transparent so you can easily switch back and forth. Basically the Aero Peek function.

I will add some more, which I think the should be implemented:
- some sort of communication between players: "stick"/text chat with friends/emotes chat with others
- rematch button
- flipping coin has to be more responsive, I mean it should react just after I finish my move, NOT after 3-4 seconds
- time for move should be increased, let's say to full one minute - 60 seconds
- timer should be visible all the time (not only like it is said in prevoius point, that timer should be visible when we are checking details of the card or looking into graveyard) I mean all the time, from the first to last second. I think it will be better for players, less stress, which is visible when suddenly players see last 30 seconds.
- screen should be sharp/clear/not blurry when we waiting for the opponent in mulligan state to let us check our cards

I have another suggestion here:

- The loyal/disloyal trait on cards should be explained somewhere cause it gets a lot of people confused. Maybe a tooltip stating what it exactly mean.

There's should be a turn history of some sort, not sure if it was in the stress test but i've seen none!

I hope you reconsider the new faction abilities .. For NR it limits you to the promotion style

For Monsters keeping gold units means most of the time monster player would use Eredin (100% guaranteed card since it's the leader) and then pass and gain 2-3 card advantage while keeping the 15 strength next turn because opponent can't do anything to it since it's gold unless they have legendary cards like Dijkstra and then that would be a suboptimal play for them

Surely there will be multiple faction abilities like in TW3 that will let us change up play styles within each faction?

I would expand on that and suggest that whenever the choose a card interface, or anything that obscure the board shows up, there should be a mouse-over button that turns the whole thing transparent so you can easily switch back and forth. Basically the Aero Peek function.

+1 and a time bank with a minute or so for the whole match that doesn't replenish

I have another suggestion here:

- The loyal/disloyal trait on cards should be explained somewhere cause it gets a lot of people confused. Maybe a tooltip stating what it exactly mean.

Loyal means they add to your STR score Disloyal means they add to the enemies STR score (ie 'disloyal' cards spawn on the opposition side of the board)
Disloyal cards can also affect your cards in a negative manner on your side of the board (ie -2 strength for every unit in the same row)

Eredin is not a card and Monsters ability does not let you keep him, tried this on an empty board during the Kill the Servers event.

I would like to have a coin for each faction, because its weird that even if we play as a Scoia'tael and Skellige, we still got NR and monsters coin. It would be cool if we would have a coin for our own faction so : Green (Scoia'tael), Purple (Skellige), Red (Monsters), Blue (Northen Realms), Black (Nilfgaard) with their own logo which is shown at the back of the cards.

Its a small cosmetic thing but i would like to have something like that in game.

The logos are there .. I'm not a fan of Blue (the player) Red (the opponent) which confuses people with monsters and northern realms factions

I would like to have a coin for each faction, because its weird that even if we play as a Scoia'tael and Skellige, we still got NR and monsters coin. It would be cool if we would have a coin for our own faction so : Green (Scoia'tael), Purple (Skellige), Red (Monsters), Blue (Northen Realms), Black (Nilfgaard) with their own logo which is shown at the back of the cards.

Added. I like this idea.

Top Bottom