PS4 GOTY Edition performance issues patch 1.50

+
PS4 GOTY Edition performance issues patch 1.50

Hey everyone I just started playing Witcher 3 on my PS4 (the regular one) 2 days ago and am experiencing some frame rate lags/drops in the ui/menu especially inventory and also in cutscenes and some fights or in areas with lush nature.

In cutscenes sometimes its stuttering with the screen blurring out for some seconds until the next scene comes up.

Were all those issues already there before? I just thought that the GOTY Edition would be as good as on PC performance wise.

Or did those issues came up since the new 4k patch 1.50 is out?

And is there any hope for a new patch that will fix those performance issues? Im afraid there is nothing to come for a fix since there is no support in the game anymore. Maybe Im wrong?

Thx!

Don't know about the regular PS4, but CDPR will definitely make a patch and hopefully they sort out those problems.

I owned a regular PS4 a couple months ago, but didn't had the chance to try it on the latest 1.50 patch.

Some blurring screens here and there was indeed the case on the regular PS4, inventory lag too, especially if you had too much stuff stacked in there.

Frame-rate drops were present especially in Novigrad and heavy populated areas. I don't know if the latest patch has made things worse than they already were.

Dammit. And I thought on PS4 inventory laggs and frame drops on vanilla wouldnt be a problem.. I really hope there will be some fixes for the regual PS4 with a patch too. At the moment its on patch version 1.50 while PS 4 pro must be at 1.51 if im correct.

Sooxzay;n10391972 said:
Dammit. And I thought on PS4 inventory laggs and frame drops on vanilla wouldnt be a problem.. I really hope there will be some fixes for the regual PS4 with a patch too. At the moment its on patch version 1.50 while PS 4 pro must be at 1.51 if im correct.

>And I thought on PS4 inventory lags and frame drops on vanilla wouldn't be a problem

I tested The Witcher 3 on a regular PS4 but not with the latest 1.50 patch.

Yes, it has some frame-drops here and there, inventory does lag (especially if you carry too much stuff on you) but it was not unplayable, as many people have stated on other topics.

Its very much playable, if you exclude those unfortunate events i mentioned above.

The Witcher 3 is a huge open world game, and with that in mind and considering the power of the regular PS4, CDPR did a good job i would say.

So, what patch 1.50 did with the game i don't know. It may be the case that performance has degraded a bit.

But except that it seems there is a lot or more on that matter...

Some users have stated about unexpected crashes on the crafting procedure and not only, that seems to be related to the latest patch.

I played the game on the regular PS4 more than 200 hours, but i did not encountered any errors and crashes on earlier, so older patches.

-----------

>At the moment its on patch version 1.50 while PS 4 pro must be at 1.51 if I'm correct.

That what i know is this.

The latest 1.50 patch has added PS4 Pro support to the game. However, for some regions an additional patch was made (1.51 patch) with some additional bug fixes.

So, why some have got the 1.50 patch (myself included) and not the 1.51, i can't know.

The patch notes has as follow:

The Witcher 3 Update 1.50 Patch Notes
  • Added PS4 Pro support.
  • Adding 4K resolution support
  • Bug fixes.

The Witcher 3 Update 1.51 Patch Notes
  • Stability improvements.
  • Performance Improvements.
  • Bug fixes.

Also to mention...

I own a PS4 Pro console, and i finished the game on the latest non 4K patch (so patch 1.31)

With that patch the game did run beautifully on the PS4 Pro. Enabling boost mode, that makes the console run with an additional 40% power increase, the game runs 99% of the time with a stable 30fps!

The latest patch has implemented one advantage and a lot of disadvantages unfortunately. (at least on my 1080p TV)

The Big plus: Graphics are better because the supersampling procedure that CDPR has made available to the game. So, running the game at 4K internally and then let's say it downscales to 1080p. making the screen visuals sharper. (that's on a 1080p TV)

The minus points: fps are worse with the latest patch, as it may use all the available power of the PS4 Pro but supersampling has taken the console to the edges, and you can feel the fps difference if you fight a lot of monsters especially at night and with a lot of light sources around. (unfortunately the video doesn't cover that)

And things getting worse gameplay wise, with inventories that doesn't working properly, crafting and stashing elements that makes the console to crash, and in general you have the feeling that something doesn't go well with the implementation of the latest 1.50/1.51 patch.

So, at the end, the latest patch may have updated the graphics a bit, but leaves a lot to be desired, making the game run unstable with an performance that equals the performance of an regular PS4 pre 1.50 patch era.

How do i know that?

Because i started a new character, that relies on the latest 1.50 patch on a my PS4 Pro.

Video you may wanna take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcNQVuNo_kY

-----------------

If for some particular reason things doesn't change to the better...as it stands right now,

The best Witcher 3 game right now (or version if you like), is the GOTY boxed edition that comes with patch 1.30 right out of the Box.

Disable your internet connection, for not letting the game to be updated to the latest 1.50/1.51 patch, enable Boost mode on your PS4 Pro, and enjoy one of the best open world action role playing game of that era.

I don't know how that will work out on a 4K TV, but on a 1080p one, the game plays perfectly that way, with an mostly locked 30 fps performance, and justifies the name of CDPR as an industry leader for creating role playing games. :pride:

Last edited:
First of all thank you for the detailed answer!

As I mentioned before I just came from the PC version of TW3 where even playing with reshades and lighting mods was not a problem fps/crash and lag wise.

I asked on reddit too about some issues since the latest patch and some people confirmed that too.

Regarding the crashes when crafting etc. I cant confirm anything until now. Im on my third playthrough which is the first on my PS4 which is not the "pro" version at around level 9-10 at velen which means I just crafted some oils/bombs/potions and some witcher gear.

A good solution would have been to be able to not download the latest patch or at least go back to the 1.31-1.32 for people that doesnt affect the 4k patch.

I mean its indeed playable and ofc. enjoyable since its the best RPG game ever made in my eyes. The only issues I experienced were those with the UI (Inventory/World Map), cutscenes and ofc. some frame drops when in lush areas with much lighting and monsters/npcs.

Some people said one should try to disable anti hack systems on the ps4 or tv settings but I didnt find anything regarding that.

CDPR Always did a really good job until now which is why Im confident that they will work on that and bring another patch for some improvements.

I guess thats the plus playing it on PC. Having a huge community working on mods that fix some smaller bugs/issues etc. which we sadly cant use on consoles.

Sooxzay;n10400382 said:
First of all thank you for the detailed answer!

As I mentioned before I just came from the PC version of TW3 where even playing with reshades and lighting mods was not a problem fps/crash and lag wise.

I asked on reddit too about some issues since the latest patch and some people confirmed that too.

Regarding the crashes when crafting etc. I cant confirm anything until now. Im on my third playthrough which is the first on my PS4 which is not the "pro" version at around level 9-10 at velen which means I just crafted some oils/bombs/potions and some witcher gear.

A good solution would have been to be able to not download the latest patch or at least go back to the 1.31-1.32 for people that doesnt affect the 4k patch.

I mean its indeed playable and ofc. enjoyable since its the best RPG game ever made in my eyes. The only issues I experienced were those with the UI (Inventory/World Map), cutscenes and ofc. some frame drops when in lush areas with much lighting and monsters/npcs.

Some people said one should try to disable anti hack systems on the PS4 or TV settings but I didn't find anything regarding that.

CDPR Always did a really good job until now which is why Im confident that they will work on that and bring another patch for some improvements.

I guess that's the plus playing it on PC. Having a huge community working on mods that fix some smaller bugs/issues etc. which we sadly cant use on consoles.

>Some people said one should try to disable anti hack systems on the PS4 or TV settings but I didn't find anything regarding that.

Well, if you mean some exploits that the game has on the earlier stages, those should have been patched by now.

As for the TV hacking matter (even if it's doable), i don't know how that should impact the game itself.

If you have a smart TV one of the following can or can nor happen, but i can't explain how this should be related to an inventory crash if you compare gear for example.
  • Enable the webcam and spy on the user
  • Enable the microphone
  • Access apps the user has installed on the TV and steal personal information and account information
  • Take control of the remote control and change the channel
  • Gain access to the user’s browsing history
  • Steal account numbers
  • Steal passwords
  • Access data on any memory stick that’s connected to the TV
  • Lock the TV and demand a ransom
Some Smart TVs have sort of an SSL encryption when they connect to the net for the above reasons.

However you can easily overcome that, by disabling your router and not be connected to the net, as The Witcher 3 isn't an online game anyway.

>Regarding the crashes when crafting etc. I cant confirm anything until now. I'm on my third play-through which is the first on my PS4 which is not the "pro" version at around level 9-10 at Velen which means I just crafted some oils/bombs/potions and some witcher gear.

We are in the same boat. lol

I'm also Level 10, and do some quests in Velen. I also crafted some gear, but not Witcher gear in particular yet.

Will see what happens then.

I started over, only to see what happens if you play the game with the latest patch on the early stages of the game.

And i shoot many pictures too. That was my main reason actually, as better graphics counts on taking pictures. lol

But i can tell you, the game doesn't feel that snappy and sometimes i just wanna delete everything and start over with the previous 1.30 patch.

The game takes a huge performance penalty at night.

I visited a lot of houses in Novigrad at night to "steal" some potions and similar goodies, and have faced two major problems.

1) Rooms are too dark.

2) Walking with an lit torch inside, the game feels very laggy, and the fps goes down to the 20s!

The game doesn't have anything in common with earlier patches as performance concerns.

Boost mode (previously) did help a lot on that matter.

Now the game supports the whole GPU power of the console but the 4K patch has made the game to run worse.

It was running before at 1080p, and now it runs at 4K internally supersampled down to 1080p, but it seems the console (PS4 Pro) can't afford that load. :/

------------

Also worth to try if it comes out (at BETA stage right now) is the 5.50 update on the PS4 Pro.

You can see some features below:

http://www.player.one/ps4-update-550...080p-tv-123745

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnEuE8VfXWU

So, if something went wrong with the implementation of that latest 1.50/1.51 patch as crashes concerns, wide Supersampling Mode (theoretically) would give you the same effect (graphically) on the Witcher 3 without those nasty bugs and glitches of that latest patch. (provided you play the game with the 1.30 patch)

If that mode enables boost mode automatically for getting better performance or if it works in advance to the boost mode feature that PS4 supports, that must to be seen. ;)

Last edited:
I have the same problems. (PS4 Pro, complete edition). Now its even worse as my game crashes hourly. I have a save with just under 50 hours and I really want to play Hearts of stone & Blood and Wine. But I can’t due to the crashes. Support for the game hasn’t ended yet. There is a patch that will bring HDR support for PS4. I really hope the framerate/crashing issues gets fixed in this patch because its probably the last patch for Witcher 3. Really a game breaking bug... I won’t be able to play again without it being fixed...

I hope CD Projekt Red will clear out the bugs and improve the performance and sort out the issues in the menu/ui, stashing etc

I started a new game from scratch just for kicks.My level is now 42 and not one crash. I tried to keep my inventory as low as possible,nothing in the stash.I never compare items using the L button.The Only Witcher gear used Is the Grand Master Cat armor,boots,gloves and pants.

Johnnysurf7;n10537752 said:
I started a new game from scratch just for kicks.My level is now 42 and not one crash. I tried to keep my inventory as low as possible,nothing in the stash.I never compare items using the L button.The Only Witcher gear used Is the Grand Master Cat armor,boots,gloves and pants.

>...nothing in the stash. I never compare items using the L button.

You should actually!

The game is not be intended to be played that way.

Keep some precious gear in your stash, but not stash 1000 items in it.

And yes you should compare items.

Just do it now, and if you get a crash, just report to CDPR!

Note: And keep us posted, if you get a crash. ;)

mark5916;n10538832 said:
>...nothing in the stash. I never compare items using the L button.

You should actually!

The game is not be intended to be played that way.

Keep some precious gear in your stash, but not stash 1000 items in it.

And yes you should compare items.

Just do it now, and if you get a crash, just report to CDPR!

Note: And keep us posted, if you get a crash. ;)

Lol
We all know where that will get ya!
Just a little experiment to see If I could keep it from tanking.

Johnnysurf7;n10538982 said:
Lol
We all know where that will get ya!
Just a little experiment to see If I could keep it from tanking.

Some people does not get crashes on vendors on early levels, but it may get worse if you are at a high level.

So, just keep that in mind.

If you get into such a situation, report to CDPR. Sending the affected save file will definitely help on that matter too! :)

You know, it's difficult to pinpoint the cause of the crash, if that happens to some people and not to others.

CDPR is aware of that situation, but it needs quite some time to make it the right way.

Otherwise, with every patch that does not fix some specific problems, a new problem may arise, and that situation will never end.

So, please be patient! ;)

Last edited:
Sorry again for everyone that's suffering from this. I know it's annoyance, but these things take time. And, I'm sure they don't want to create all sorts of new issues in the process. Please, do hang tight while CDPR works on it!

We will of course and thank you very much for the answer! As you mentioned in other threads already this is by far the biggest game I have ever played and its fully understandable that after several patches this massive lines of codes can conflict with the changes in some specific way.

I just wanna second what everyone is saying. The GOTY edition was amazing before the PS4 Pro updates... We need a more conservative resolution upgrade and a locked 30 fps with no bugs. Rain and cutscenes are kicking the Pros ass.

Top Bottom