PS4 Pro Different Savegame Slots/ Character gone

+
Hi,
i used the search but couldnt find a similiar problem like i have. I try to describe my problem:

I finished the game with my first character and want to keep it.
Now i want to start a new character, i play, the game autosaves and to be sure i save manually on a new savegame-slot.

Then i switch back to my first character, load the latest savegame (had to look for it between all autosaves of the new game). So when i play long enough with Character A, the Game autosaves throughout, the Savegame for Character B gets lost. - So when I load a game, i can only see the 16 latest savegames. Means, when i play my first Character and the game autosaves 16 times, the second Character is lost.

Or the other way around: when i play new Character for some time and the game saves (manually or autosave - doesn't matter!), my first character would be gone.

Theres no chance to load a manually saved game with my old OR my new character. Means, i can only play and save the one or the other. Since I dont want to lose my first character, theres no chance I can play a new game because my old character-savegames won't be available anymore.

I hope I could describe my problem properly. Does anyone of you have the same problem?

To be clear: this problem has nothing to do with the deleted-savegame-bug with the max 8MB-savegame file. Its different.

Save games on console are limited. 20 manual save games, 10 autosaves and 3 quicksaves

So yeah, if you used all save games for one character it seems like starting a new path will kill some of these save games.

I agree that this is not a good situation though.

Unfortunately it doesn't differentiate between manual or autosave.
And it seems that the game sometimes autosaves every minute.

Seems like i can just hope that this will be gonna be fixed somehow with the upcoming patches... :(
Thanks anyway!

WOW = have not started my second playthrough yet and not willing to loose 165 hrs of progress on my initial playthrough in order to do so.

This is a massive oversight that not only isn't an issue with many, many other large open world games, but needs to be rectified in order to make re-playability a reasonable option.

Not too mention, there should seriously be a disclaimer or information / text warning of how this truly works. Because in q&a + interviews all leading up to release = we were specifically told that we could have saves for all 3 lifepaths, not that any lifepath choice makes any meaning or reasonable difference at all :(

Very discouraging to keep discovering more and more massive issues with this game and instills anxiety and fear of discovering yet even more issues as i continue to play now and possibly months or years after.

Steadily loosing faith and hope that this game will ever deliver anywhere near what was stated + quoted + re-peated and outright claimed to be in the final game...
Not too mention every broken aspect of this game in it's current state and now we are adding save files to that pile = things just keep looking worst :(

Guest 4421288

When selecting "Continue" means it will load the most recent save regardless if it is the auto save or manual one you did.

During 1st playthrough you should create your own 2 manual saves. 1 before you walk into restaurant to see Hanako and 1 after completing the game. Then leave those alone and start new game for 2nd playthrough.

It does create a hidden "end game" save file called "EndGameSave-X" which you can only see on PS console/PS cloud save only. Wonder if that is for future DLC.

2nd playthrough it will only overwrite the auto saves but it will never overwrite your manual saves for sure.

Like all PS games the PS cloud saving is not real time saving. It saves occasionally to cloud, but you can manually sync after each play session. Local save files do not always reflect cloud save files, so may need tidying up both sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
When selecting "Continue" means it will load the most recent save regardless if it is the auto save or manual one you did.

During 1st playthrough you should create your own 2 manual saves. 1 before you walk into restaurant to see Hanako and 1 after completing the game. Then leave those alone and start new game for 2nd playthrough.

It does create a hidden "end game" save file called "EndGameSave-X" which you can only see on PS console/PS cloud save only. Wonder if that is for future DLC.

2nd playthrough it will only overwrite the auto saves but it will never overwrite your manual saves for sure.

Like all PS games the PS cloud saving is not real time saving. It saves occasionally to cloud, but you can manually sync after each play session. Local save files do not always reflect cloud save files, so may need tidying up both sides.

Appreciate the suggestion / workaround, but still doesn't excuse the fact that this should not even be an issue in the first place :(

Large open world RPG's of a similar nature / design from 10+ years ago have better save systems put in place. I feel as though this is just another cut corner on CDPR's end or an option that nobody there even cared to give attention to.

The list just keeps growing in this regard and makes me wonder what the hell happened to this game on more levels than i initially had any curiousity about...

Guest 4421288

Appreciate the suggestion / workaround, but still doesn't excuse the fact that this should not even be an issue in the first place :(

Large open world RPG's of a similar nature / design from 10+ years ago have better save systems put in place. I feel as though this is just another cut corner on CDPR's end or an option that nobody there even cared to give attention to.

The list just keeps growing in this regard and makes me wonder what the hell happened to this game on more levels than i initially had any curiousity about...

Yea I know what you mean if you look at Last of Us 2, Once you complete the game it automatically creates one off "Complete Backup" save separate from "Autosave" slot that nevers get overwritten unless you manually do so or delete yourself. So there won't be any accidents.

Different life path is fake. Only 1hr prologue difference then it is same missions and slightly different dialogue choice that had same consequences anyway. Only real difference is gender choice literally to romance.

Then its the damned crashes. Amazing people at CDP testing on PS console internally did not communicate. I mean would only take 6hrs gameplay to realise "HMM it keeps crashing, shall we test on other consoles too?"

People think in short space of time CP2077 is going to get content additions. It will take a long time.

- I have no doubts they will fix the crashes/bugs over time
- I have no doubts they will add some sort of content more over time

But unfortunately like No Man's Sky, people just move onto other games because it will take too long to see these improvements and the 1st time experience expectation already ruined. This game has improved but the bitter launch never left the memories.

Yea I know what you mean if you look at Last of Us 2, Once you complete the game it automatically creates one off "Complete Backup" save separate from "Autosave" slot that nevers get overwritten unless you manually do so or delete yourself. So there won't be any accidents.
Comparing what other studios brilliantly did to this situation ("soz saves on consoles are limited") is making me want to pull my hair out.

Guest 4421288

Comparing what other studios brilliantly did to this situation ("soz saves on consoles are limited") is making me want to pull my hair out.

I mean technically you could copy the manual saves onto a USB drive and then create new saves within the game but that is a workaround and not helpful.

Just glad I got my digital refund confirmed by Sony support and just repurchased a physical copy off ebay for £14 due to broken box and seller could not get retail refund herself. I don't really care about the money but it is the principle.

I mean technically you could copy the manual saves onto a USB drive and then create new saves within the game but that is a workaround and not helpful.

Just glad I got my digital refund confirmed by Sony support and just repurchased a physical copy off ebay for £14 due to broken box and seller could not get retail refund herself. I don't really care about the money but it is the principle.

I can completely respect this and kind of wish i did it myself, as currently the game is not worth full sale price and holding onto the hope that CDPR will update the game anywhere close to what they initially sold & told us it was = is dwindling every week.

They may prove me wrong and i will eat me words as i should, but if not = i have learned an enormous lesson about CDPR and any large scoped games to come in the future. No more pre-orders for any developer period + i may honestly wait for any future games to hit a sale reduction, i had been practising this fairly well aside from Cyberpunk + RDR2 + Ghost of Tsushima = gladly the other 2 games did not dissapoint and never did imagine that Cyberpunk would be the one to do so :(

I should also warn. If you have two different game plays. And you override the manual save with another. Its auto saves attached to that save, gets deleted along with it. So if you goof and quick click out of habit. You are boned.

Guest 4421288

I can completely respect this and kind of wish i did it myself, as currently the game is not worth full sale price and holding onto the hope that CDPR will update the game anywhere close to what they initially sold & told us it was = is dwindling every week.

They may prove me wrong and i will eat me words as i should, but if not = i have learned an enormous lesson about CDPR and any large scoped games to come in the future. No more pre-orders for any developer period + i may honestly wait for any future games to hit a sale reduction, i had been practising this fairly well aside from Cyberpunk + RDR2 + Ghost of Tsushima = gladly the other 2 games did not dissapoint and never did imagine that Cyberpunk would be the one to do so :(

I seem to make the same mistake too.

I preordered Mass Effect Andromeda because Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 were "consistently" good. But I didn't complain much because the game actually worked without crashes day one and throughout. Even though the content was boring in regards to missions, animations and dialogue. I still felt I got what I paid for.

Now going forward must remember to only preorder if review/pre-release copies are reviewed by real gamers - Youtubers and not journalists who get excited over press kits with goodies.

If they're hiding console gameplay and making reviewers signing NDAs then there is a problem.

- CDP are making "Monster Slayer" mobile game. Yup you know what happens it will be pay to win/microtransactions.

- They admitted future CP2077 multiplayer will have microtransactions too.

So you know they want to go in that direction because it does make more money for less effort. I mean look at Apex Legends. Literally just 2 maps in rotation which are low graphics quality and serious cosmetics transactions made them so much money. Fifa same green pitch and Warzone, same map with seasonal changes. Less development effort and massive returns.

I hope I could describe my problem properly. Does anyone of you have the same problem?

Greetings,

pardon me my errors since I'm not a native english speaker, especially this is my first post in this forum and although I read a lot of posts today I might have missed some netiquette advice:

Update:
And I just saw that this was suggested already. Sorry for wasting bandwith. Sadly I cannot deleted my whole post.

Regards, Dirk

It's sad that they didn't do a simple solution like FO4, I don't remember this might have been in fallout 3 also.
Each character you create gets their own save slots apart from others and only autosaves are shared.

So as long as you did a manual save for your character that character is safe.

Then when you load you get a list of your characters and chose and then you see saves for that character.
If you just do continue it will load the latest save.

So why is that not here different save slots for each life path. It's such a simple solution and could easily been created by any competent coder in just a few hours, I mean it's not complicated to program 1 extra list with 3 choices that leads to another list with maybe a maximum of 10 saves if you want to keep it shorter.

And also looking at FO4 on console I don't think there is any limitations on number of saves only the space on hard drive and when I cleaned up FO4 saves got like 1-2Gb back xD

Hi, like you, I wanted to keep my first "V" when I started a 2nd Playthrough. I put him onto a USB stick and he is safely sat next to the PS4. I must remember to use a different USB when saving this character as they will overwrite.
I use Cloud storage to keep the current character safe and regularly delete all saves I don't need, this will lower the odds of saves corrupting, overwriting is not good!
Post automatically merged:

And also looking at FO4 on console I don't think there is any limitations on number of saves only the space on hard drive and when I cleaned up FO4 saves got like 1-2Gb back xD
I got to agree with your Post. FO4 was an excellent system, Bethesda got something right! The differences are quite large though. FO4 save size increases as you play, so no 2 saves are the same size. This causes more than a few problems (0Kb error!). CP77 is a "slot" save system each slot is the same size no matter how far you have played etc. This, of course, causes the OP's (& my) issue as all saves overwrite.
USB is the only solution that I think I can rely on.

Last edited:
CP save files also increase in size which was cause for some people to start crashing and saves corrupted.

Top Bottom