PS4 Pro Fan Stops when in Menus

+
As the title says, I recently bought Cyberpunk on PS4 Pro, and it works great except every time I click pause or enter the inventory etc., the fan slows down to a minimum, causing a shutdown due to overheating. Same issue when loading the game, if it takes too long to load it'll shut down because the fan doesn't kick in until I'm actually ingame. This is super frustrating and basically makes the game unplayable for me. Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

As the title says, I recently bought Cyberpunk on PS4 Pro, and it works great except every time I click pause or enter the inventory etc., the fan slows down to a minimum, causing a shutdown due to overheating. Same issue when loading the game, if it takes too long to load it'll shut down because the fan doesn't kick in until I'm actually ingame. This is super frustrating and basically makes the game unplayable for me. Any advice or help would be much appreciated.
Have you tried to limit the framerate to 30, or 25?

No, but if you tell me how I'll give it a go. But that still doesn't make any sense. I've got friends playing in original PS4, and their fans work just fine when playing Cyberpunk. I play Battlefield 2042 just fine, fans blowing non stop. It's ONLY when I'm not directly ingame, e.g. saving game, checking inventory etc. the fan stops and I'm basically on a timer to get back ingame so the fan starts. It's absolutely ridiculous and if I can't fix this I'll have to uninstall if not running the risk of ruining my console.

No, but if you tell me how I'll give it a go. But that still doesn't make any sense. I've got friends playing in original PS4, and their fans work just fine when playing Cyberpunk. I play Battlefield 2042 just fine, fans blowing non stop. It's ONLY when I'm not directly ingame, e.g. saving game, checking inventory etc. the fan stops and I'm basically on a timer to get back ingame so the fan starts. It's absolutely ridiculous and if I can't fix this I'll have to uninstall if not running the risk of ruining my console.
I'm not gonna lie, I don't know anything about Playstation, but it seem to be very weird that the fan speed is not related to the temp (and only the temp).

On XB1x, I also have different fan speeds between in-game and in the inventory, but it was only because in the inventory the console was less used and therefore heated less (so no risk of overheating). If you've had your console for a long time and if you've never done it (and if it's possible), a good internal cleaning could do good (Cyberpunk particularly solicits the "old" consoles).
Or less easy, a proper cleaning (some players have resolved their overheat problems only with that...)

Last edited:
Yeah it's super weird, and only in Cyberpunk. I cleaned it before posting, didn't change anything. Currently playing BF2042 with no issues. It's like Cyberpunk tells the system to take it easy when in the menus, regardless of temp.

Yeah it's super weird, and only in Cyberpunk. I cleaned it before posting, didn't change anything. Currently playing BF2042 with no issues. It's like Cyberpunk tells the system to take it easy when in the menus, regardless of temp.
I don't think a game can bypass the temperature probe :(
If you have an overheat problem, I don't think it directly come from a game. Yes, it could happen when playing a game who solicits a lot your console, like Cyberpunk. But the game is not in fault.

I'm sorry but it most certainly is the games fault. I installed it yesterday, and it's the only game in my library with this issue; it shuts the fans down when in menus.

I'm sorry but it most certainly is the games fault. I installed it yesterday, and it's the only game in my library with this issue; it shuts the fans down when in menus.
If you say that... As you wish ;)
(I had the case of overheating problem on my old XB360 with only a single game (Skyrim). But it was a hardware problem, not the game)
You can ask to the support (Contact Us button), but I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty confident of the answer you will receive.

You also didn't lie when you said you know nothing about consoles, so I'll take my chances. Cheers.
Anyone else, please understand this is not a hardware problem, the fan doesn't power off and just stops, it slows down the second I push pause, to the point where it's not doing it's job cooling the console down. The second I press resume, it starts up again. Fine, I'll just be quick when saving and such I guess, but 1 out of 3 times I can't even load ingame when first starting up anymore because it takes too long for the fans to start... I'll attach a video of the situation if that helps non console people see what I'm saying, because the hardware (the actual fan) works JUST FINE in every single other game I play.

It's you who needs to keep an open mind about this.

This could very well be a hardware issue. Everyone who owns a PS4pro got the exact same game, the only variable in this equation is people's hardware. Consoles might all have the same hardware but the state they're in varies. Additionally, a quick Google search seems to indicate your problem isn't common at all. In fact, I couldn't find anyone else experiencing this with Cyberpunk 2077.

I'm not saying that this issue is absolutely on your end. I am saying you should keep an open mind about it because it very well might be. The game is very taxing on any hardware and, quite frankly, shouldn't have been released on last-gen at all.

Now, I don't know what @Bartinga2077 is talking about since, as far as I know, the game on PS4Pro is locked at 30 FPS anyway and that's set at the developers' level. You have no control over it. I know plenty of games offer you a to choose between graphic fidelity (lock at 30FPS) and FPS(allows 60FPS) on a PS4Pro, if that's the case, then you might be on higher FPS setting but either way it shouldn't really matter since the fans start and shut off based on temperatures. If such a setting exists, try turning it to the other one to see how that goes.

I see you indicated you have cleaned it. When you say you cleaned it, do you mean you opened the console and cleaned it or just cleaned it from the exterior as best you could?

Have you tried re-installing the game? I guess it's possible some files got corrupted in the installation and is messing with your fans?

I admit I haven't used my PS4pro in a while, maybe there are new settings that allow limiting FPS at the user's level and I'm playing the game on PC so I have no personal experience with CP2077 on PS4pro. I did find plenty of other people experiencing the same issue you are with others games though and the end result always seem to be faulty hardware.

In all honesty, this isn't the place to ask for help anyway. You're much better off with that link @LeKill3rFou gave you to get in touch with CDPR who has inside knowledge of how their game might interact with your console or Sony for obvious reasons.

A faulty fan is a quick, cheap and easy fix. It's not that bad if that's the issue.

Obvious question - have you tried cleaning the inside of the console with some compressed air?

Try poking around your Pro's settings / system menu, see wether options like boost mode or high refresh rate are enabled.

This is a fairly common issue with PS4s (not just Pros) because numerous games menus have no frame cap so the fans just go insane, but it doesn't occur with every PS4 so I wonder if it's a hardware (specifically thermal paste) problem. Getting a Pro that doesn't sound like a helicopter when under load seems like a lottery too.

Yes, cleaned inside. Listen guys, the fan is working FINE, the console is in perfect condition running AAA games flawless.
It is Cyberpunk, the game, which somehow tells the system it doesn't need fanspeed when using in-game menus or when booting.

Boost mode is off, checked everything else I can think of.

Edit: starting to suspect Cyberpunk might use a frame cap in the menus, slowing the fan down regardless of temp. Idk, but game is officially unplayable until something changes. Back to BF2042 I guess. Cheers.

Edit: starting to suspect Cyberpunk might use a frame cap in the menus, slowing the fan down regardless of temp. Idk, but game is officially unplayable until something changes. Back to BF2042 I guess. Cheers.
If it was the case, every "PS4 pro users" should experiment the same problem... Which is not the case at all ;)
(I never read a single post about this kind of problem on the forum since I'm registered...)

Yes it could be a software issue, but it could be a problem with the Playstation OS (corrupted files).
So at first, since no one experiment the same issue, my advice could be :
- factory reset your PS4
  1. Log in to your account. Go to Settings.
  2. Select Initialization, then select Initialize PS4. Choose the "Initialize PS4" option, then "Full" on the next page to perform a full factory reset. Sony.
  3. Select Full, then Initialize.
  4. Select Yes to confirm your choice.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
But if it really is a corrupted OS file causing the FAN to slow down in ONLY Cyberpunk, and ONLY when booting or in menus, well then I'd rather not play the game than having to factory reset my console. But thanks ;)

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
But if it really is a corrupted OS file causing the FAN to slow down in ONLY Cyberpunk, and ONLY when booting or in menus, well then I'd rather not play the game than having to factory reset my console. But thanks ;)
Say, does your PS4 Pro also shutdown when it's cooler in the room it's in? And when you're playing and the fan is working normally, does a lot of heat come out of it? When you switch back on the PS4 Pro, does it say that it did not shutdown correctly, and starts checking for errors?

I'm keeping an open mind, but it's just simply not hardware, this is software issue.

I'm basically experiencing the opposite of this issue; https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/ps4-pro-max-fans-in-menus-why.28847/

And, again, it's only in Cyberpunk which I installed for the first time yesterday.
As for cleaning, of course I opened it up and cleaned the fan, not the outside.
You can also try to contact PS support maybe they are aware of the problem and may give you a solution. And yes, cdpr support too.

The game is a mess on PlayStation FFS...

I've never had a problem with overheating until this experience with Cyberpunk, when I'm in-game the fan runs on max, much like other big games, it's only when I hit pause or open the inventory menu etc.
And yes, before it shuts off, it tells me it's overheating, and when starting up again it does check for errors.

I've never had a problem with overheating until this experience with Cyberpunk, when I'm in-game the fan runs on max, much like other big games, it's only when I hit pause or open the inventory menu etc.
And yes, before it shuts off, it tells me it's overheating, and when starting up again it does check for errors.
The problem is there's no developer reading this forum, we're all just random people, there's nothing we can do except for giving you the links to support.

In that case, it's not a safety mechanism that switches your PS4 Pro off, but a bug. Found this:

"Simple PS4 Pro overheating fix - play with the lid off!"

Play with the lit off.jpg

Could try it, it might work.

Edit: Have to say, I'm mighty surprised to see such a strong system that gets very hot with only 1 fan.
My laptop has 5.

Top Bottom