Ps4 Pro: Game crash and super fan noise after update 1.51

+
Ps4 Pro: Game crash and super fan noise after update 1.51

Hello,

I am new here.

I have PS4 pro and update the game to 1.51. The game get crash very offen and kick the game out. Also the fan very noise when playing.

I had played this game on the Standard PS4 before with update 1.31 and never had this problem before.

Can you please make the patch to fix this issue soon. I just bought the Expansion Pass :(

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Vdanh;n10096751 said:
Hello,

I am new here.

I have PS4 pro and update the game to 1.51. The game get crash very offen and kick the game out. Also the fan very noise when playing.

I had played this game on the Standard PS4 before with update 1.31 and never had this problem before.

Can you please make the patch to fix this issue soon. I just bought the Expansion Pass :(

Thanks a lot.

What you mean with crash?

Do you get any blue screen message with an error code?

Does it happen only on Witcher 3?

Have you tried to rebuild the database?

How to: https://www.playstation.com/en-nz/ge...playstation-4/

<option 5>

Have you tried to use an earlier save file?

It could happen that some particular save file has been corrupted somehow.

Also, it would be very helpful to contact CDPR support and attach the problematic file for further investigations.

Link in question: http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

Sending PS4 Save Files with Bug Reports: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...th-bug-reports

Last edited:
mark5916;n10106211 said:
What you mean with crash?

Do you get any blue screen message with an error code?

Does it happen only on Witcher 3?

Have you tried to rebuild the database?

How to: https://www.playstation.com/en-nz/ge...playstation-4/

<option 5>

Have you tried to use an earlier save file?

It could happen that some particular save file has been corrupted somehow.

Also, it would be very helpful to contact CDPR support and attach the problematic file for further investigations.

Link in question: http://en.cdprojektred.com/contact-support/

Sending PS4 Save Files with Bug Reports: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...th-bug-reports

Hi,

I got blue screen with error CE-34978-0.

Yes, only on Wicher 3. I just finished FFXV and Horizon Zero Dawn. No issue on these 2 games. I also mentioned it never had this issue on patch 1.31. Just got this issue after update to patch 1.51.

Have no tried to rebuild the database yet. Will it cause to lost all my save game if rebuilt the data base?

Let me try to use earlier save file and update you then.

update: I just tried to load the earlier save, the one I have finished base game and before New game plus.

I have a question about the inventory slot. I have a lot of mutagens in Inventory. In the base game save, the mutagens are stacking into 1 slot only ( example: 100 red mutagens will stack and cost only 1 slot in Inventory). But in the New Gmae plus save, the mutagens are not stacking, every mutagen will cost 1 slot separately ( 100 Red mutagens will cost 100 slots in Inventory).

Can let me know why? Is my New game plus corrupted?

Last edited:
You have exactly the same problems as me, rebulid database does not give anything, I wrote to cdpred supprot some time ago, and ... the solution not work for me

My:
On 11 October 2017 at 22:43, en.cdprojektred.com
Product: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt GOTY

Keywords: patch 1.50, PS4PRO, noise problem
Problem description:
Hi, ,After instal patch, my console is very loud when i play with headphones, loud fan level disturbed the game. Game heavily use CPU & GPU on PS4Pro console, and increase heat lvl.
Console is clear of dust
Console have much space around
Console is placed on hard place
Never going to suspend mode
The boost mode on PS4PRO is disabled
I have fresh instal of the game
I dont have problems like that with another games.
Is any solution to rollback this update to the 1.31 ( its perfect version of witcher game) or devs working on another patch? Stability mode or something?

Best regards

Support response:

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, it's much appreciated.

You can try changing the resolution to 1080p and see if it helps:

1. From the home screen go to [Settings] > [Sound and Screen] > [Video Output Settings].

2. Set the Resolution to [1080p].

Last edited:
Vdanh;n10114481 said:
Hi,

I got blue screen with error CE-34978-0.

Yes, only on Wicher 3. I just finished FFXV and Horizon Zero Dawn. No issue on these 2 games. I also mentioned it never had this issue on patch 1.31. Just got this issue after update to patch 1.51.

Have no tried to rebuild the database yet. Will it cause to lost all my save game if rebuilt the data base?

Let me try to use earlier save file and update you then.

update: I just tried to load the earlier save, the one I have finished base game and before New game plus.

I have a question about the inventory slot. I have a lot of mutagens in Inventory. In the base game save, the mutagens are stacking into 1 slot only ( example: 100 red mutagens will stack and cost only 1 slot in Inventory). But in the New Gmae plus save, the mutagens are not stacking, every mutagen will cost 1 slot separately ( 100 Red mutagens will cost 100 slots in Inventory).

>Yes, only on Witcher 3. I just finished FFXV and Horizon Zero Dawn. No issue on these 2 games. I also mentioned it never had this issue on patch 1.31. Just got this issue after update to patch 1.51.

That CE error code happens randomly and can occur to any game. It just doesn't happen too often fortunately.

The error CE-34878-0 means that an application has crashed. That doesn't mean automatically that the game is faulty.

If it happens a couple of times a year, then that's fine. If it happens every hour then that's a problem.

If the above happens and no workaround works, then you should definitely call Sony support.

https://hardware.support.eu.playstation.com/#/

But i hope it doesn't come that far.

Note: As The Witcher 3 concerns, try to play the game disconnected from the Internet, and see if that makes any difference to the above error.

>Have no tried to rebuild the database yet. Will it cause to lost all my save game if rebuilt the data base?

Nope, saves and everything on the HDD will not be affected.

Rebuild Database is like an de-fragmentation feature similar to PCs. It cleans up the data and memory on the HDD frees up space and cleans out memory issues.

>I have a question about the inventory slot. I have a lot of mutagens in Inventory. In the base game save, the mutagens are stacking into 1 slot only ( example: 100 red mutagens will stack and cost only 1 slot in Inventory). But in the New Gmae plus save, the mutagens are not stacking, every mutagen will cost 1 slot separately ( 100 Red mutagens will cost 100 slots in Inventory).

I haven'tstarted NG+ yet, but it could a bug introduced with patch 1.31.

Last edited:
keeper_d;n10115431 said:
You have exactly the same problems as me, rebulid database does not give anything, I wrote to cdpred supprot some time ago, and ... the solution not work for me

My:
On 11 October 2017 at 22:43, en.cdprojektred.com
Product: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt GOTY

Keywords: patch 1.50, PS4PRO, noise problem
Problem description:
Hi, ,After instal patch, my console is very loud when i play with headphones, loud fan level disturbed the game. Game heavily use CPU & GPU on PS4Pro console, and increase heat lvl.
Console is clear of dust
Console have much space around
Console is placed on hard place
Never going to suspend mode
The boost mode on PS4PRO is disabled
I have fresh instal of the game
I dont have problems like that with another games.
Is any solution to rollback this update to the 1.31 ( its perfect version of witcher game) or devs working on another patch? Stability mode or something?

Best regards

Support response:

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, it's much appreciated.

You can try changing the resolution to 1080p and see if it helps:

1. From the home screen go to [Settings] > [Sound and Screen] > [Video Output Settings].

>You can try changing the resolution to 1080p and see if it helps:

Well, on a a TV that supports only 1080p, there is no other way as setting the resolution to 1080p. That's obvious.

Do you play on a 4K TV?

Note: As you stated that you own the: The Witcher 3 GOTY edition, you could just play the game with the update 1.30 right out of the Box, without updating to the latest 1.50/1.51 patch.

That way you could get even greater performance by enabling Boost mode.

The game should run that way at a stable 30 fps through the whole game-play. (including the DLCs)

Just play with the internet disabled and don't update the game to the latest patch.

Last edited:
mark5916;n10116702 said:
>Yes, only on Witcher 3. I just finished FFXV and Horizon Zero Dawn. No issue on these 2 games. I also mentioned it never had this issue on patch 1.31. Just got this issue after update to patch 1.51.

That CE error code happens randomly and can occur to any game. It just doesn't happen too often fortunately.

The error CE-34878-0 means that an application has crashed. That doesn't mean automatically that the game is faulty.

If it happens a couple of times a year, then that's fine. If it happens every hour then that's a problem.

If the above happens and no workaround works, then you should definitely call Sony support.

https://hardware.support.eu.playstation.com/#/

But i hope it doesn't come that far.

Note: As The Witcher 3 concerns, try to play the game disconnected from the Internet, and see if that makes any difference to the above error.

>Have no tried to rebuild the database yet. Will it cause to lost all my save game if rebuilt the data base?

Nope, saves and everything on the HDD will not be affected.

Rebuild Database is like an de-fragmentation feature similar to PCs. It cleans up the data and memory on the HDD frees up space and cleans out memory issues.

>I have a question about the inventory slot. I have a lot of mutagens in Inventory. In the base game save, the mutagens are stacking into 1 slot only ( example: 100 red mutagens will stack and cost only 1 slot in Inventory). But in the New Gmae plus save, the mutagens are not stacking, every mutagen will cost 1 slot separately ( 100 Red mutagens will cost 100 slots in Inventory).

I haven'tstarted NG+ yet, but it could a bug introduced with patch 1.31.

Hi,

I have played quite a lot of games since I have PS4 Pro. And no game get the CE-34878-0 before. The Wicher 3 before patch 1.51 also fine, have never met this error on patch 1.31 and before.

This error happened after update The Wicher 3 to 1.51. This error occur everytime I play The Wicher 3.

I tried to load the earlier save. This save is base game save. I could play game almost 2 hours on this save game...but finally the game also crash with same error CE-34878-0.

I think patch 1.51 cause the game crash. And hope CD Projekt Red can release new patch to fix this soon.

Last edited:
I only have a vanilla PS4 and my game definitely has some new issues since the 1.51 patch. I'm seeing screen tearing where it briefly flashes white for like .2 seconds probably in about every other dialogue cutscene and it NEVER did this before. I still sometimes get the freezing dialogue when you pick an option and it takes a full second to load the animation. I had this early in HOS when talking to Olgierd with the blazing house and it did it every dialogue option I chose.

Come on CDPR. You guys got work to do.

Vdanh;n10118822 said:
Hi,

I have played quite a lot of games since I have PS4 Pro. And no game get the CE-34878-0 before. The Wicher 3 before patch 1.51 also fine, have never met this error on patch 1.31 and before.

This error happened after update The Wicher 3 to 1.51. This error occur everytime I play The Wicher 3.

I tried to load the earlier save. This save is base game save. I could play game almost 2 hours on this save game...but finally the game also crash with same error CE-34878-0.

I think patch 1.51 cause the game crash. And hope CD Projekt Red can release new patch to fix this soon.

After how many time of playing and at which location?

Have you tried to play offline?

Pretty much everything mark5916 said above are the known troubleshooting steps for now. If rebuilding the database / reinstalling does not clear it up, there was also a suggestion to disable some anti-piracy thing that prevents your PS4 / TV from being hacked. You should be able to toggle it off via the PS4 system menu.

If the problem continues at that point, you'll probably have to hang tight while CDPR tries to sort the issue out. Not sure if the root cause has been found yet. If possible, back up your saved games, remove them, and begin a new game, Geralt level 1. (I don't know what this will do on a PS4, though -- I don't want you to lose your saves / progress!) I'm just interested in seeing if the crazy fan thing continues in that circumstance. How long have you been playing the game so far (number of hours)?

mark5916;n10121932 said:
After how many time of playing and at which location?

Have you tried to play offline?

Cannot remember how many hours. But seem almost 2 hours.

The first crash was at Hierarch Square when selling stuff to Armorer, press L2 to compare equipment and crash..error CE-34878-0 occurred.

The second crash was in the Stash at Novigrad. Open the Stash anfd crash...CE-34878-0 occurred.

Play offline? Does this game has online multiplayer?

SigilFey;n10126462 said:
Pretty much everything mark5916 said above are the known troubleshooting steps for now. If rebuilding the database / reinstalling does not clear it up, there was also a suggestion to disable some anti-piracy thing that prevents your PS4 / TV from being hacked. You should be able to toggle it off via the PS4 system menu.

If the problem continues at that point, you'll probably have to hang tight while CDPR tries to sort the issue out. Not sure if the root cause has been found yet. If possible, back up your saved games, remove them, and begin a new game, Geralt level 1. (I don't know what this will do on a PS4, though -- I don't want you to lose your saves / progress!) I'm just interested in seeing if the crazy fan thing continues in that circumstance. How long have you been playing the game so far (number of hours)?
My total play time is 62 hours.

The crash occur very often in New game plus save.

But for base game save (completed all quest but not star New game plus yet) is better than. I can play with this save more than 2 hours. And got crash when was comparing the equipment im merchant store. And crash when open stash.

Why the mutagens in New game plus not stack in Inventory? Is this bug?

immessingaround;n10119032 said:
I only have a vanilla PS4 and my game definitely has some new issues since the 1.51 patch. I'm seeing screen tearing where it briefly flashes white for like .2 seconds probably in about every other dialogue cutscene and it NEVER did this before. I still sometimes get the freezing dialogue when you pick an option and it takes a full second to load the animation. I had this early in HOS when talking to Olgierd with the blazing house and it did it every dialogue option I chose.

Come on CDPR. You guys got work to do.

>I still sometimes get the freezing dialogue when you pick an option and it takes a full second to load the animation.

Yep, that happens to me too. (even on the PS4 Pro)

But that does not happen to any vendor but only τo some specific ones.

i guess you can live with that. lol

I know, that's not an excuse, but that game is already very taxing on the normal PS4, so some glitches can very well happen.

It's just the nature of the game.

Also too many gear in your inventory affects sometimes the dialogue options on some vendors, as the game tries to load all the stuff in your inventory before starting a dialogue.

And that has an negative impact on the inventory as well, as it becomes sluggish the more you stash into it.

Vdanh;n10127752 said:
Cannot remember how many hours. But seem almost 2 hours.

The first crash was at Hierarch Square when selling stuff to Armorer, press L2 to compare equipment and crash..error CE-34878-0 occurred.

The second crash was in the Stash at Novigrad. Open the Stash anfd crash...CE-34878-0 occurred.

Play offline? Does this game has online multiplayer?

I will try those out on my save file, to see what happens. (in the locations you mentioned above)

I have already completed the main game (everything except the Gwent quests) on a patch older than 1.30, the 1st DLC on patch 1.30 and now I'm on the second DLC on the latest 1.50 patch.

My total gaming time so far should be over 200 hours.

And i will post a picture on my stash in Novigrad.

It has a lot of stuff in there, i can ensure you of this. lol

>Play offline? Does this game has online multiplayer?

Nope it does not.

But mostly people do connect to the internet regardless if the game needs an online connection or not.

I do the same.

You see, i do not play only The Witcher 3. I play GT sport as well, that needs to be online.

The game did crash with an CE error even before the latest 1.50 patch on some users including myself.

But that happened only once, on more than 100 hours of game-play. So, it was not worth mentioning.

Going offline, has solved that problem on some users.

That leaves me to believe that this error could be related to Sony and not just to the game itself.

Besides i got an CE error a couple months ago with Fallout 4 as well.

So, believing that this error is related only to the game itself, is not 100% accurate IMHO.

Last edited:
OK, i investigated that error. It does happen indeed.

But only if you compare items by pressing the L2 button down and the same time you make the description bigger holding down the L3 button.

On that situation, regardless if you play online or offline you get a CE-34978-0 error.

Strange thing, i didn't get any error on my stash on Hierarchs Square, (without L3 button), but i got an error on my stash in Barons Castle.

And even more strange...

I did got an error on one of the Armorers but not on the second one, even if i did hold down the L3 button.

So, that's a mess.

How i should inform CDPR on the above situation?

It seems to be random.

So, i could create more than 10 times an CE-34978-0 error in 1 hour of game-play.

Proof of the Error:

https://imgur.com/a/OWUFo

Last edited:
mark5916;n10129362 said:

But only if you compare items by pressing the L2 button down and the same time you make the description bigger holding down the L3 button.

On that situation, regardless if you play online or offline you get a CE-34978-0 error.

Strange thing, i didn't get any error on my stash on Hierarchs Square, (without L3 button), but i got an error on my stash in Barons Castle.

And even more strange...

I did got an error on one of the Armorers but not on the second one, even if i did hold down the L3 button.

So, that's a mess.

It seems to be random.

So, i could create more than 10 times an CE-34978-0 error in 1 hour of game-play.

Proof of the Error:

That's not the first time I've come across the crash with toggling large / small descriptions. From what I'm gathering (mostly from a group of members who created a utility to fix the item corruption on PC), the general issue is that item IDs become corrupted after being saved and loaded too many times. It seems to be an engine limitation at its core, and should only occur if:

1.) players have horded a massive number of items in their active inventory (not the stash) for a long period of time.

2.) there is an issue during one of the updates.

3.) players encounter the "runestone / glyph bomb" by keeping too many of the same runestones / glyphs at one time.

4.) a playthrough becomes extremely long...which is actually an indirect way of saying the number of times the same game has been saved and reloaded (~2,000+).

5.) an actual bug / glitch with an item.

6.) a pleasant mixture of all the above. ;)

Basically, it seems that every time the active inventory is saved then loaded again, the item ID for every, single item Geralt is carrying is updated, and assigned a new, longer value (i.e. ABC01 -> ABC01.1 -> ABC01.2...-> (eventually)...ABC01.9999981...etc.). I think it's mostly done to keep track of things like repair states of individual weapons / armor pieces, how many uses of oil are left, etc. This will happen not only on manually saving or reloading, but every time the game autosaves, whenever fast-travel is used, whenever a cutscene plays, and whenever Geralt transitions between areas. Eventually, the values get so long that the game runs out of number places to use and the item becomes corrupted.

Inventory lag is the first sign that this may be occurring. By dumping items to the stash, transitioning between areas, then retrieving items, it basically resets their "zero point". So the game will treat that state of the item as if Geralt picked it up for the first time (a short item ID). That may fix things for some players.

The best prevention method is simply not to horde items. I've been through 5 playthroughs and never had any issues with this, but I only carry around ~10-20 of each item. (I don't even loot most stuff after fights anymore, unless I intend to use or sell it right away.)

As always, feel free to send the issue into CDPR Support. They are aware of the issue, but no harm in sending additional tickets.

Last edited:
SigilFey;n10130972 said:
That's not the first time I've come across the crash with toggling large / small descriptions. From what I'm gathering (mostly from a group of members who created a utility to fix the item corruption on PC), the general issue is that item IDs become corrupted after being saved and loaded too many times. It seems to be an engine limitation at its core, and should only occur if:

1.) players have horded a massive number of items in their active inventory (not the stash) for a long period of time.

3.) players encounter the "runestone / glyph bomb" by keeping too many of the same runestones / glyphs at one time.

4.) a playthrough becomes extremely long...which is actually an indirect way of saying the number of times the same game has been saved and reloaded (~2,000+).

Basically, it seems that every time the active inventory is saved then loaded again, the item ID for every, single item Geralt is carrying is updated, and assigned a new, longer value (i.e. ABC01 -> ABC01.1 -> ABC01.2...-> (eventually)...ABC01.9999981...etc.). I think it's mostly done to keep track of things like repair states of individual weapons / armor pieces, how many uses of oil are left, etc. This will happen not only on manually saving or reloading, but every time the game autosaves, whenever fast-travel is used, whenever a cutscene plays, and whenever Geralt transitions between areas. Eventually, the values get so long that the game runs out of number places to use and the item becomes corrupted.

Inventory lag is the first sign that this may be occurring. By dumping items to the stash, transitioning between areas, then retrieving items, it basically resets their "zero point". So the game will treat that state of the item as if Geralt picked it up for the first time (a short item ID). That may fix things for some players.

The best prevention method is simply not to horde items. I've been through 5 playthroughs and never had any issues with this, but I only carry around ~10-20 of each item. (I don't even loot most stuff after fights anymore, unless I intend to use or sell it right away.):)

As always, feel free to send the issue into CDPR Support. They are aware of the issue, but no harm in sending additional tickets.

Thanks so much for responding back!

Unfortunately, i don't have much time to investigate that problem even further, so at least i know now that this is an engine limitation or an code ID mismatch on that matter.

Fortunately, i couldn't get the game to crash aside from the above on Novigrad, and that's a good sign that the game works fine even with the latest 1.50 patch at least on me.

Surprisingly, the fan from my PS4 pro didn't went up either on that little amount of time i played The Witcher 3. (~2 hours)

Could be a coincidence, could be random - i don't know.

If i find additional problems with the game as it is right now, i will definitely sent an ticket to CDPR. ;)

Hold the smile, let the tear go, keep the laugh, lose the pain, look for joy, and abandon the fear. Happy New Year 2018! :)

mark5916;n10129362 said:

And even more strange...

So, that's a mess.

It seems to be random.

Proof of the Error:

Exactly the same what I am facing. The crash is randomly on the merchant. Just like yesterday, the game crash on Armorer at Hierarchs Square and Stash at Novigrad. But today it dont. Today I got crash on another merchant and stash at Barons Castle.

Are you on New game plus or just continue to explore on base game?

I got a lot of crash on New game plus even I didnt to do L2 compare in inventory or in stash. The game crash very often in New game plus, just around 30 mins to 1 hour the game will crash eventually no matter in Inventory or walking on road.

But it is better on base game. I can play it more than 4 hours today. And got crash on the Armorer at Hierarchs Square. After finshed the conversation to look at his stock and game crash. No L2 or R3 action.

SigilFey;n10130972 said:

The best prevention method is simply not to horde items. I've been through 5 playthroughs and never had any issues with this, but I only carry around ~10-20 of each item. (I don't even loot most stuff after fights anymore, unless I intend to use or sell it right away.)

I am trying not to stock too many stuff in Inventory and putting it Stash in New game plus. But it is very laggg. It cost 10s to transfer 1 item from Inventory to Stash.

I have a ton of Mutagens and Alchemy and crafting materials. And the mutagens do not stack like base gae. 1 mutagen cost 1 slot in Inventory. If I want to transfer all mutagens into stash then i need to repeat the action a hundred of time. I am having more than 100 Mutagens each type.

Can explain why the Mutagens do not stack in New game plus?

and do we need to transfer the Alchemy and crafting materials into stash? Or just need to transfer runestone?

please investigate the patch 1.51 on New game plus as it is impacting a lot. I cannot play on New game plus, crash, crash and crash.

Vdanh;n10133292 said:
Exactly the same what I am facing. The crash is randomly on the merchant. Just like yesterday, the game crash on Armorer at Hierarchs Square and Stash at Novigrad. But today it dont. Today I got crash on another merchant and stash at Barons Castle.

Are you on New game plus or just continue to explore on base game?

I got a lot of crash on New game plus even I didnt to do L2 compare in inventory or in stash. The game crash very often in New game plus, just around 30 mins to 1 hour the game will crash eventually no matter in Inventory or walking on road.

But it is better on base game. I can play it more than 4 hours today. And got crash on the Armorer at Hierarchs Square. After finshed the conversation to look at his stock and game crash. No L2 or R3 action.

>Are you on New game plus or just continue to explore on base game?

Nope, i haven't started a NG+ play-though yet. I only completed the main game + 1st DLC.

So, i can't know what i will face, if i start a NG+ in a future time.

And actually i never toggle small/large descriptions. But i did it for the test sake and boom! i got the most CE errors only from this. Go figure! lol

>I got a lot of crash on New game plus even I didnt to do L2 compare in inventory or in stash. The game crash very often in New game plus, just around 30 mins to 1 hour the game will crash eventually no matter in Inventory or walking on road.

If that's indeed the case (and i have no reasons not to believe you, as i haven't started a NG+ anyway), you should definitely report this to CDPR.

I'm pretty sure the game is stable on a normal game play (at least on the 2nd DLC that I'm playing right now), but perhaps the latest patch did something wrong on a NG+ play-though!

Top Bottom