PS4 Pro - Too much fan noise after 1.50 patch

+
Fan blowing like crazy since Patch

I Never had any problems with The Witcher 3 in regards of noise level of the PS4 Pro fan.
But ever since the patch was out and got installed, my PS4 pro fan is making allot more noise than before. In just wandering around as well as in dialogue options.
For 8-10 seconds it blows like crazy, and then it stops and return to normal. This happens every 5 minutes or so. Is there a way of uninstalling the patch? I have no 4K TV so i'm basically not using this new patch anyway.

Do other users have the same problem? And found a solution?
Please Help.

I have the same problem on my ps4pro, is any solution to rollback this patch? I don't need this new patch.

Lilayah

CD PROJEKT RED
You can't rollback the patch, however did you try restarting your console after downloading patch? How long did you play?

I try restart game and console to. How long i play? 5 min and fans going noise like vacuum cleaner. A had never before any problem with noise lvl, even Horizon Zero Dawn etc, something is wrong with patch ...

So.
New day same problems. Since the patch the Fan is acting up like crazy.
Tested some stuff out and the findings are that cutscenes and conversations are now loud as hell. Hard to understand the voices without subtitles.

Just standing doing nothing, also raises the Fan level. You have to go to the in-game menu to have the Fan go completely silent again.
When you're back in the game it takes a couple of minutes to start blazing again.

So in short: More Fan noises since the patch. Noticeably more.
When you go into the in-game menu its suddenly fine again. But when you exit it starts up slowly again.
Was playing 30+ hours in the couple of weeks before the patch. Never had any problems!

Please tell me there's something to be done about this. It's ruining the game for me.

I too am suffering from my PS4 Pro suddenly having a really loud fan noise going on, which only started to happen after the Witcher 3 patch 1.50. I am on a Full HD Tv (1080p), so I can't even get the 4K benefit either. Turning Boost Mode on or off doesn't do any difference to me. Overall, I am dissapointed by the new patch, as it hasn't brought anything but lag, stuttering and crashes to me and a many, many others!

Lilayah;n9655321 said:
You can't rollback the patch, however did you try restarting your console after downloading patch? How long did you play?

It does not seem to be attributed to time at the moment. My ps4 pro is not loud but I can now "hear" it when I'm playing as aposed to before when it was silent during cut scenes or dence areas. The fan gets very loud during encounters though.

You our guys are awhere that the frame rate now drops 5 to 7 frames in dence areas ?

The frame rate prior to patch was mostly constant 30 fps on the pro with boost mode activated and virtually had no drops in dence areas or cut scenes.

Please ensure that your console has enough room to "breath". I know many people may have it inside a slot on a TV / Media Center hutch. This can actually strangle consoles when they need to spin up (trapping the hot air). Place the box on top of something. Ensure it's 6 inches to 1 foot away from stuff on all sides. Ensure it's on a hard surface and not on any sort of "fabric" (like a runner or carpet).

If the fans start spinning up hard, test the box by gently placing your hand on the actual metal parts (vents / screws / plates). It's okay if they're warm, but they should not be "hot". It should be comfortable against the skin. If that's the case -- the fans are just doing their job.

If you're unsure, fire up another game that makes the fans work a bit and compare.

SigilFey;n9669731 said:
Please ensure that your console has enough room to "breath". I know many people may have it inside a slot on a TV / Media Center hutch. This can actually strangle consoles when they need to spin up (trapping the hot air). Place the box on top of something. Ensure it's 6 inches to 1 foot away from stuff on all sides. Ensure it's on a hard surface and not on any sort of "fabric" (like a runner or carpet).

If the fans start spinning up hard, test the box by gently placing your hand on the actual metal parts (vents / screws / plates). It's okay if they're warm, but they should not be "hot". It should be comfortable against the skin. If that's the case -- the fans are just doing their job.

If you're unsure, fire up another game that makes the fans work a bit and compare.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think you read our complaints right.
We \ I didn't move our playstations, they were always on the same place. The problems started happening right after installing the new patch.
In short: 30+ hours of playing time with no fan noise, and after the instal of the patch loud fan noises.

I wholeheartedly agree with Helbiggetje here!

I haven't touched my PS4 Pro an inch in forever, it is well ventilated and stationary in a perfect and healthy condition and position, but I can sincerely swear, that as soon as my console downloaded and installed game patch 1.50, I started to get loud fan noises, massive framedrops, the item comparison (ce-34878-0) crash started to occur, and the cutscenes and dialogues started to stutter a lot. All of these issues haven't occured even once in my 100+ hours of playtime prior to that damned patch.
Please fix it!

Helbiggetje;n9670371 said:
Thanks for the reply, but I don't think you read our complaints right. We \ I didn't move our playstations, they were always on the same place. The problems started happening right after installing the new patch. In short: 30+ hours of playing time with no fan noise, and after the instal of the patch loud fan noises.

Scrancher;n9670891 said:
I can sincerely swear, that as soon as my console downloaded and installed game patch 1.50, I started to get loud fan noises, massive framedrops

I read (most of) them. :cool: I wholeheartedly believe that the patch created the issue. (Quadrupling the number of pixels being drawn every second may have that effect.) The suggestion is to ensure that the console remains well-ventilated while playing. There is no denying that the game will put hardware through its paces. On my PC with a GTX 980 ti, TW3 gets the fans working more than any other game I own -- and that's at 1080p. (Regardless, the GPU temp stays around 70°C.) The engine is simply very demanding. If the fans start taking off, there is nothing inherently wrong with that, but players will want to ensure that the console has plenty of room if it doesn't already.

For now, that's about the only thing to be done.

Scrancher;n9670891 said:
...the item comparison (ce-34878-0) crash started to occur, and the cutscenes and dialogues started to stutter a lot. All of these issues haven't occured even once in my 100+ hours of playtime prior to that...

These issues are likely caused by the save-state (separate issue) following the patch. If these continue, there may be nothing for it except to work around it or begin a new game. For inventory issues, try unequipping everything, dumping your inventory into the stash, changing regions (e.g. Velen to Skellige), then grab your gear again. That will, hopefully, stop the item comparison crash.

The general performance issues will be a direct result of the drastically increased resolution (if using 2K / 4K) or...for some weird reason if still running in 1080p. I don't have answer for that one yet.

So I am not the only one having all these issues since the 1.50 patch... Not feeling better but at least less alone.

For info: I am playing TW3 GOTY edition on a PS4 Pro and 4K TV. I've played 99% of the main quest with the 1.31 version and the last bit + DLCs after the 1.50 patch release.

Before the update everything was perfect: no framedrops, no overheating making my PS4 going loud as hell, no crashes...

Since the 1.50 update Gerald is living a nightmare! Huge framerate drops all the time, I need to use a headset when playing because the fans of my PS4 Pro are crazy and loud and I started to have crashes when going through my inventory...

CDPR CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE US THE POSSIBILITY TO DISABLE SOME GRAPHICAL OPTIONS IN ORDER RELEASE SOME STRESS FROM OUR PS4 PRO.

The only way I've found to solve the crashes issues linked to my inventory was to upgrade my MasterCraft Griffin Witcher Gear set to GrandMaster in Toussaint. Complicated to realize when the game is crashing but after that all went better.

Last edited:
Hi Folks
Ich wrote a Ticket and got this answer :

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

If you are using Rest Mode, please make sure that the console was restarted after using it. Keeping it in Rest Mode will not clear its cache, which could cause the potential performance issues.
It is also highly recommended to restart the game after the long playthrough. It will clear the memory and help to improve the performance.

You may also try disabling Boost Mode(if you are using it).

1.50/1.51 is the same update.

First Thing i try now ist to deinstall the Game, clear the Cache, Install the Game and cross Fingers ;)

My PS4pro is always On of Off, never in rest mode, I also clean the dust every two weeks by removing the upper part of the console, even though my fan was barely making sound (only game so far being Dark Souls 3, it makes my fan go crazy, but it seems a lot of people have this issue aswell)

The Witcher 3 until patch 1.50, I've never heard the fan, maybe a little during first loading but nowhere close to loud.

So, yeah... It comes from the patch, not EVERYONE's consoles...

Edit : Already tried to reinstall the game, even reconstructed the ps4 database, deleted all my saves and started fresh on a 1.50 save. And boost mode OFF or ON makes no difference.
The fan being one among MANY issues

Last edited:
UPDATE
Problem not solved after "Clear Install" and starting a new game!
After the Intro my personal jet was back.
I know the PS4 Pro fan can make some noise when i play Horizon or FF15.
But the noise level when i play Witcher3 is definitly not normal and need to be fixed!!!

PS4 Pro - Too much fan noise after 1.50 patch

This is something I noticed playing TW3 after 1.50 patch.
My Ps4 pro(3 months old) is almost ready to take-off with its jet fan. I don't think I noticed so much fan noise with TW3 1.31 patch but after 1.50 patch my Ps4 Pro makes too much fan noise in Novigrad, anytime out in the field and cutscenes. etcs. It gets really quite only when I go to in-game menu. I'm pretty sure this is something got to do with 1.50 patch because my Ps4 Pro is just standing there alone sadly. I don't think I even had this much noise when playing Horizen Zero Dawn 4k mode.
Is any of your tech team looking into this issue if there is actually any problem with 1.50 patch relating to fan noise?

P.S I never put my Ps4 Pro on rest mode, always finish application + turn off/on console.

There's another post about this. 1.50 patch is a mess, not only because of the fan.. CDPR haven't said anything yet sadly...

Had a long, very nice talk with the Sony Support this morning and this is not a Hardware Problem.
We came to the conclusion that the Update is wrong and need to be fixed. BTW....wy this Update??? With 1.31 Witcher3 was PERFECT!!!

Hi Beren2017 :)

It seems you are doing some fantastic trial and error, research and testing, which benefits all of us with the problems introduced with patch 1.50, or as I call it, the Witchbreaker!
So, if it wasn't fully clear already, it's now officially clear to say, that patch 1.50 brought havoc, bugs, crashes, framedrops and fan noise problems, with literally nothing else for non-4K TV users.

For CDPR staff, let's summarize: Sony states their newest PS4 console update isn't the problem; the console hardware and software itself also isn't the cause; the very game still has same problems when deleting all saves and starting a new post-1.50/1.51 game; ALL of the problems started to occur with that patch (dialogue and cutscene stuttering, framerate drops, overheat / fan noise and frequent crashes); all the various other band-aid ''fixes'' didn't do any difference at all, thus not fixing anything (Save auto-upload Off, clear cashe, initialize ps4 etc.)
Conclusion: The Witchbreaker patch caused 9/11, I mean caused all of these game problems for all of us!

TL;DR - CDPR, Please fix or roll back patch 1.50, or let us choose to stay with patch 1.31 or 1.50 via. the options menu!

Top Bottom