PS4 - Savegame of disc version cannot be used for digital

+
PS4 - Savegame of disc version cannot be used for digital

As you know, with almost every PS4 game, it doesn't matter if you swap inbetween the digital and disc versions since saves are stored locally and accessible to each type of a game. I have swapped the disc for digital version with many of my PS4 games and never lost my saves and could continue to use them. Not so with Witcher 3 apparently...

I preordered W3 a while ago, digitally via the PSN store. Last friday, a friend received the disc early and gave it to me to play. I put in roughly 25-30 hours this weekend.

Yesterday I gave the disc back and waited for the digital pre-order to unlock.

It now unlocked, I started the game - and it doesn't see the saves, it wants me to start fresh.

For troubleshooting I

- removed the installation of the disc version and started the digital download only afterwards

When it didn't work I

- I backed up all local saves onto USB and deleted all local saves, and afterwards tried to copy them back to the system storage. I get an error message "The application for this saved data isn't installed". But it is! W3 is fully installed and running.

It seems it cannot read the savegames of the disc version, and I am now terribly frustrated as I don't want to redo 25hrs of work.

Why isn't W3 like all other PS4 games? :(

Any help?

That's not correct: if you buy the physical copy and the digital copy from the same region, then you can use your save game.

Are you sure about that? It isn't likely that the thread creator has a different region of game from his friend. I'm concerned about this as I was planning on buying a physical copy for collection purposes in the future.

Are you sure about that? It isn't likely that the thread creator has a different region of game from his friend. I'm concerned about this as I was planning on buying a physical copy for collection purposes in the future.

Yes to 100% because I first bought the physical EU copy ( CUSA01439) but my ps4 bluray drive makes a lot of problems and so I bought the digital copy from the German PSN store and I can use my save game without problems.

Yes to 100% because I first bought the physical EU copy ( CUSA01439) but my ps4 bluray drive makes a lot of problems and so I bought the digital copy from the German PSN store and I can use my save game without problems.
Okay, that's good to know. Thanks.

has anyone double checked this yet? perhaps the original poster can confirm that he used different version copies of the game.
PLEASE!!!!! i want to purchase the digital download.

has anyone double checked this yet? perhaps the original poster can confirm that he used different version copies of the game.
PLEASE!!!!! i want to purchase the digital download.

Whats the ID of your physical Copy and in wich Country do you live? I can Tell you then wich digital copy fits to your physical copy ;)

example: BluRay TW3 EU CUSA01439

link German PSN Store TW3: store.playstation.com/#!/de-de/spiel/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/cid=EP4497-CUSA01439_00-0000000000000001?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=store%20playstation&utm_campaign=PX+-+PlayStation+-+Brand+-+DE&EMCID=GM300000_store

so go to your local psn store page, go to the witcher 3 page there and then copy the adress to an empty note Page and compare the CUSA ID ;)

Last edited:
the disc version that i was playing was from US, i rented the game at a local blockbuster movie rental store. i wanted to try it before i bought it. it's not upto the Skyrim standards but it was good enough to keep me tied up all weekend :p Now that i want to purchase it, i want to make sure the saves will transfer over to the digital version. i'd assume all my PSN purchases are US region.

the disc version that i was playing was from US, i rented the game at a local blockbuster movie rental store. i wanted to try it before i bought it. it's not upto the Skyrim standards but it was good enough to keep me tied up all weekend :p Now that i want to purchase it, i want to make sure the saves will transfer over to the digital version. i'd assume all my PSN purchases are US region.

Do you have the Disc ID of the U.S. Copy? So that you can compare those ID?

U.S. Digital ID: CUSA00527

Last edited:
Hi vampyren,
As DjPelle wrote, save games work fine when using the same region version. Please check carefully - at the side of the box there is number with CUSA-xxxxx, and on digital version, you can also check it after you put save from PS4 on the USB - file created will be in directory similar to 'PS4\SAVEDATA\14ca82863eb5a141\CUSAXXXXX'.

Thanks for answering back REDkatja.
On the box the number says CUSA-01440. I bought the game at Webhallen which is one of the biggest game store in Sweden. I did some googling but i cant seem to find what region this number belongs to (i just had assumed since i bought the game from a respectable local store its European version). Here i find a list but this number is not among them:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/702760-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/data
Although i did find this other list here that shows the number belonging to Russia which makes no sense. Why would a Swedish store sell a Russian version. Is this why my Disc is not compatible with the digital version i bought from PSN?
If so i need to double check my future purchases and also confront the store as to why they have sold me a non European version of the game.
Appreciate some clarification on this topic.

Just curious, if i save my gamedata to a USB and change the folder to match my Disc version and import it will the save data be compatible? could it be so simple ?

Either way i'm enjoying the game allot. I'm sure i will be playing it for the rest of the year :D
Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for answering back REDkatja.
On the box the number says CUSA-01440. I bought the game at Webhallen which is one of the biggest game store in Sweden. I did some googling but i cant seem to find what region this number belongs to (i just had assumed since i bought the game from a respectable local store its European version). Here i find a list but this number is not among them:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps4/702760-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/data
Although i did find this other list here that shows the number belonging to Russia which makes no sense. Why would a Swedish store sell a Russian version. Is this why my Disc is not compatible with the digital version i bought from PSN?
If so i need to double check my future purchases and also confront the store as to why they have sold me a non European version of the game.
Appreciate some clarification on this topic.

Just curious, if i save my gamedata to a USB and change the folder to match my Disc version and import it will the save data be compatible? could it be so simple ?

Either way i'm enjoying the game allot. I'm sure i will be playing it for the rest of the year :D
Cheers

Yeah that's the problem. Eu store has CUSA 01439.

But it is strange you are now the second person from Scandinavia with the same problem. I did not understand why your retail store sells other copies then the Swedish ps store. Maybe contact sony about that and asked them why that is the reason.

I also bought my version of Witcher 3 from http://www.Webhallen.com. I had pre-ordered the collectors edition (with the statue).

When I check the side of my BluRay Box it says CUSA-01440.

So does this mean I can't purchase the SeasonPass from the European PSN Store?

I also bought my version of Witcher 3 from http://www.Webhallen.com. I had pre-ordered the collectors edition (with the statue).

When I check the side of my BluRay Box it says CUSA-01440.

So does this mean I can't purchase the SeasonPass from the European PSN Store?

That's a good question. Maybe try to go to the product page of the season pass in your PS Store and take a look at the address bar of your browser. Normally there is also a CUSA number. But I think it will be also 01439 and that could be an problem then :(

@DjPelle: yeah, also going to give a call to the store and ask them about this. Its not good conduct to sell a product meant for another region. Not sure even if its legal, in any case they must inform the buyer like they do with their WiiU consoles which are from UK (not all of them but some are).

@DjPelle: yeah, also going to give a call to the store and ask them about this. Its not good conduct to sell a product meant for another region. Not sure even if its legal, in any case they must inform the buyer like they do with their WiiU consoles which are from UK (not all of them but some are).
Please write here if you get an answer, I emailed a question yesterday, haven't gotten any answer yet.

Sure, i emailed webhallen just now. I am happy with my Collector edition but i ask them if i can swap the Disc with a European version.

I did not see any swedish subtitle but usually there is not swedish subtitle in any games as far as i know but the region matters. Any how i'm in contact with Webhallen and at the moment they dont seem to believe that its a Russian version so i will send them a picture of my game sticker. Hopefully they can acknowledge and replace the game with the right version.

Top Bottom