PSA : NVIDIA users make sure you're on the latest 461 drivers!

+
Win7, 1660 Super, GOG Galaxy, Overlays Off

For all of today I only crashed a single time during gameplay. Contrast to the 7 crashes per day on average since 1.04, I think it's safe to say NVIDIA has done some work on DX12on7, if nothing else.

Win7, 1660 Super, GOG Galaxy, Overlays Off

For all of today I only crashed a single time during gameplay. Contrast to the 7 crashes per day on average since 1.04, I think it's safe to say NVIDIA has done some work on DX12on7, if nothing else.

DX12on7 is a wrapper that CDPR created and uses to help integrate DX12 coded / rendered assets on Windows 7.

But if the latest driver update is performing well, then they communicated some of the performance and memory leak issues that may have been driver related. So thats good news.

Juyo

Forum regular
I updated my Nvidia drivers yesterday and noticed a significant decrease in performance - in very specific ways. I could start the game okay yesterday, although the "red text" intro screens were notably slower to flick past (the ones that say "CD Projekt Red" then "Red Engine" then the partner company names etc.) and whenever I opened my inventory or crafting menus (i.e whenever it had to load a 3D model inside the ingame inventory screens) the game lagged for a good 20-30 seconds.

Today, the "red text" intro screens won't progress at all, so I can't play - I've tried waiting for a good 15 minutes for the screens to move themselves along to the main menu, but nothing doing. Before I updated my Nvidia drivers yesterday, the game ran reasonably well (taking into consideration the age of my rig) and I certainly didn't have the issues with the intro screens or menu load times.

I'm trying Verify/Repair as we speak on the GOG Galaxy client, as well as reinstalling my Nvidia drivers, in case there was an issue with the installation.
Post automatically merged:

Update; neither reinstalling Nvidia drivers or Verify/Repair seem to have made any difference at all, the game did get past the red text screens this time but lagged when I loaded into my game, it was like watching a slideshow.

Last edited:
I updated my Nvidia drivers yesterday and noticed a significant decrease in performance - in very specific ways. I could start the game okay yesterday, although the "red text" intro screens were notably slower to flick past (the ones that say "CD Projekt Red" then "Red Engine" then the partner company names etc.) and whenever I opened my inventory or crafting menus (i.e whenever it had to load a 3D model inside the ingame inventory screens) the game lagged for a good 20-30 seconds.

Today, the "red text" intro screens won't progress at all, so I can't play - I've tried waiting for a good 15 minutes for the screens to move themselves along to the main menu, but nothing doing. Before I updated my Nvidia drivers yesterday, the game ran reasonably well (taking into consideration the age of my rig) and I certainly didn't have the issues with the intro screens or menu load times.

I'm trying Verify/Repair as we speak on the GOG Galaxy client, as well as reinstalling my Nvidia drivers, in case there was an issue with the installation.
Post automatically merged:

Update; neither reinstalling Nvidia drivers or Verify/Repair seem to have made any difference at all, the game did get past the red text screens this time but lagged when I loaded into my game, it was like watching a slideshow.
Try deleting the cache files?

DX12on7 is a wrapper that CDPR created and uses to help integrate DX12 coded / rendered assets on Windows 7.

But if the latest driver update is performing well, then they communicated some of the performance and memory leak issues that may have been driver related. So thats good news.
Like every other version of DX, it requires driver support to function - DX is only an API. Given its niche market, DX12on7 was obviously given poor attention from NVIDIA until now.

DX12on7 is not a CDPR wrapper, it is D3D12 - released by MS specifically for Win7 use, initially released to boost WoW performance on Win7. Such an old title obviously doesn't make use of new hardware to the same extent a game like Cyberpunk does.

Juyo

Forum regular
Try deleting the cache files?

Found another post about this 'black screening' issue which suggested updating Windows to latest version so I checked - I wasn't running the latest version, as soon as I did my Windows update the issue was fixed, so seems like the problem was an incompatibility/clash between having the latest Nvidia drivers and not the latest version of Windows 10.

Top Bottom