Public transportation system in NC

+
Sure, I definitely know what you mean.

But in the court of public opinion, I've had far too many people get pedantic in my direction to not take this opportunity to point out that, if anything other than aesthetics were being changed, if any fundamentals of the game were to change, then talking about the final "look" means they were full of it.

View attachment 11215960

I've had too many people go all letter-of-the-law on me to not pay it forward on this one. If CDPR meant "state", they shoulda said "state".

actually in those videos, the narrator literally says that features may change, often right before showing some of the features which were likely to change.

these are not the only times he points out features may change.

Moderator: Back on topic, please.
I Would like some form of self-driving transport around Night City that allows me to see the scenery as I go past without the stress of piloting whichever vehicle I'm in.

I think that would be amazingly fun, especially in a game as pretty as this one.

Yes, I did.
I'm an animator. It's what I do.

However...

I didn't say I'm a CGI artist for games.
I have been, but you made an assumption that, unfortunately, derailed my point rather badly.

I pointed out that, as a CGI artist, I find the aesthetics of Night City quite pleasing. It was not in reference to whether gameplay and cut-scenes/trailers match each other.

This isn't the first time you've cherry-picked something I've said to score points rather than actually address what I was saying; please stop that.

this isn't cherry picking, you replied to a specific part of my comment saying that the trailer was deceptive even if it was clearly a CGI cutscene of a train, and not gameplay. I am pointing out that cgi hasn't been understood to equal gameplay in videogames since the very beginning. That is directly relevant to the point you were making.
this isn't new, Its been the norm for decades, thats why they have gameplay reveals separate from general trailers in videogame marketing

Well, frankly, I don't much care; they still showed it.
When trailers show you things that aren't actually in the game, and the viewer is provided with no way to tell solely from the information in that trailer what will or will not be done by the player, I call that dishonest.

...Yes, things get cut, but it's strange how in every one of these cases that I can think of (Ubisoft are the masters of this), it means features that were being used to promote and sell the game being cut to the bare bones or removed altogether, never anything expanded or added...

That's not strange, it's just the nature of game development.
Dev goals are always overambitious at the beginning (or even in the middle) of development. But when budget gets tight and deadlines are coming closer (and unforeseen problems arise), planned features get stripped down, moved to post release or are cut altogether.
Situations like "Hey, we got two months dev time left and nothing else to do. There are some great features we could add or expand on." simply don't exist in this industry.

That's not strange, it's just the nature of game development.
Dev goals are always overambitious at the beginning (or even in the middle) of development. But when budget gets tight and deadlines are coming closer (and unforeseen problems arise), planned features get stripped down, moved to post release or are cut altogether.
Situations like "Hey, we got two months dev time left and nothing else to do. There are some great features we could add or expand on." simply don't exist in this industry.
I meant "strange" as in convenient that it always results in a situation where a company can get away with selling their product on the back of their ambition rather than something closer to what they can actually deliver.

I meant "strange" as in convenient that it always results in a situation where a company can get away with selling their product on the back of their ambition rather than something closer to what they can actually deliver.

actually they(game companies) tend to sell more games after it comes out than in the first week, so people who want know, know. Also, the reality is, its easier than ever to see a game before you buy it. Twitch is real.

Also realistically, most games aren't far from whatever they showed or promoted earlier. A couple things change, but the meat and spirit of the game is usually pretty close.

except maybe with some open Alpha type games, but those usually change due to player feedback, even if they lose some along the way.

Also, the reality is, its easier than ever to see a game before you buy it. Twitch is real.
I get your overall point, but in this case it was not true for console players. The poor performance of the game was actively hidden before release.

Post automatically merged:

someone made a model how it maybe can look while driving, but there are official trainmodels in the brigitte mission from voodooboys the datafortress mission.

look on 1minute and 18 seconds, it looks somewhat like the trainmodel which was used in the trailer

Last edited:
Public transportation system in Night City could be quite impressive as one of the interactive aspects of CP2077. Right now the player can not take a taxi or ride a monorail train, although both means of transit are present in the game.

During my gameplay I tried to follow most of the monorail tracks in NC. This little investigation lead me to the conclusion that the whole city structure was designed with the train system in mind. There are many fake NCART (Night City Area Rapid Transit) stations in the game. They are located both underground and above street level, yet always in the places where the rail network is already present. The whole system could work, if the players were given the ability to ride a monorail.

Unfortunately, at some point in development the decision was made to stop working on the interactive transit system. I have no idea what was the reasoning behind this decision. It could be due to the time constrains or the lack of ability to properly implement this quite complex aspect of the gameplay. The leftovers of the unfortunate process of cutting this interactive monorail out are quite noticeable. Instead, we were presented with pretty "unimmersive" fast travel points that could work as an optional way of transit (e.g. in the form of interactive maps located in the train stations).

We do not have a proper modding tools (SDK) that would make some kind of a complete implementation of this monorail system possible. The skeleton of this system is in the game: the tracks are usually in the right places and some stations are located properly, populated and accessible via elevators. Unfortunately, the full implementation of the monorail system requires rebuilding some parts of the town, creating the interiors of some stations and interactive cars that the player and NPCs could enter. And, most of all, it would be necessary to design a smart transit AI for this game. Yes, an impossible task if we consider the fact that the city traffic AI in CP2077 does not work very well.

The city looks amazing from above. That is why riding a monorail, although not the most important aspect of the game, would greatly increase the immersion and improve our gaming experience. As soon as I acquired Double Jump I started looking for a way to ride a monorail.

I discovered that there are a several places in the city where the player can jump, climb and get on the tracks: especially in Downtown, Little China and Northside. I am sure the developers were well aware of that, so they tried to make it as difficult as possible for the player to get there and placed many invisible walls around certain areas (e.g. in the vicinity of the Afterlife) and on the tracks. Still, the player might get through some of them and ride a monorail.

There are huge parts of the tracks where it's possible to enjoy a ride for almost a minute (before the train disappears or the invisible wall blocks the way). It is an incredible experience. The vistas are breathtaking (pun intended). I highly recommend anyone to try it. If you liked riding a rollercoaster with Johnny, then you'll be having a blast with the monorail. There are no problems with performance, missing textures etc. during the ride, so it should not be a problem for any PC user. The city looks as impressive from above as it is on the street level. It's a pity that we are not able to fully enjoy this experience. Still, one can get a taste of it by taking advantage of the whole immersive sim systems that are available in the game (without resorting to any "cheats" or mods).

I wish the developers, after taking care of the more pressing issues with the game, could bring interactive transit system back to life. What do you think? Do you miss properly implemented NCART in NC?

Here are some shots I took while riding a monorail in various districts:

View attachment 11162969
View attachment 11162975
View attachment 11162978
View attachment 11162981
View attachment 11162984
View attachment 11162987
View attachment 11162993
View attachment 11162996
View attachment 11162999
View attachment 11163002

I completely agree with you! This could be an amazingly immersive featurem and a great point to the game!

Public transportation should have been this games version of fast travel. Once in the car, train, flying vehicle, you then would be given the option to skip at any time or enjoy the ride. Fast travel as it exists now is lame and outdated.

Yeah, they should dedicate a DLC to properly get this working. Nothing less will do. Fast-travel terminals are un-immersive and pulls you out of the RPG-experience. For this to function, they'd need to fix the AI running transportation in general, and fix the pathing of all vehicles. I've seen a car leave its door immersed into concrete when it crashed with my own eyes playing the game. In general to fix the AI is a proper part of the bug-hunt of the game.
Post automatically merged:

you mean like when you hit the fast ravel button a short loading scene of you getting on a bus or or taxi?

No, not a cut-scene, but a proper experience were you walk on the car, select your destination, sits down and watches as you're transported through the city. The monorail-system is just the biggest part of it, though with fixing their transportation-AI, they should be able to use buses/taxis as well.

Public transportation should have been this games version of fast travel. Once in the car, train, flying vehicle, you then would be given the option to skip at any time or enjoy the ride. Fast travel as it exists now is lame and outdated.
They certainly made it look as if this is what they intended, at least with their promo PR.

It's one of the sore points for me; I really, really, really looked forward to riding the train in first person.

Wow, amazing screens. Im very disappointed with how many things are missing in the game. Before release i bought a new PC for this game with RTX3080. I played right after the release without patches and some gamebreaking problems. I complete all main and side quests. During time was released some patches and i want try it game again in better quality. I delete all my old saves and start new game. It was so boring. I dont know. After some time i see how much the game is not complete. How many mechanics missing. Absolutly nothing side activities. It is really huge disappointed ever :(

I still hoping they add back in to game all the missing things but my hope is smallwr and smaller. And buy paid DLCs...? Probly not. At least then they put back some missing content and activities.

Public transportation system in Night City could be quite impressive as one of the interactive aspects of CP2077. Right now the player can not take a taxi or ride a monorail train, although both means of transit are present in the game.

During my gameplay I tried to follow most of the monorail tracks in NC. This little investigation lead me to the conclusion that the whole city structure was designed with the train system in mind. There are many fake NCART (Night City Area Rapid Transit) stations in the game. They are located both underground and above street level, yet always in the places where the rail network is already present. The whole system could work, if the players were given the ability to ride a monorail.

Unfortunately, at some point in development the decision was made to stop working on the interactive transit system. I have no idea what was the reasoning behind this decision. It could be due to the time constrains or the lack of ability to properly implement this quite complex aspect of the gameplay. The leftovers of the unfortunate process of cutting this interactive monorail out are quite noticeable. Instead, we were presented with pretty "unimmersive" fast travel points that could work as an optional way of transit (e.g. in the form of interactive maps located in the train stations).

We do not have a proper modding tools (SDK) that would make some kind of a complete implementation of this monorail system possible. The skeleton of this system is in the game: the tracks are usually in the right places and some stations are located properly, populated and accessible via elevators. Unfortunately, the full implementation of the monorail system requires rebuilding some parts of the town, creating the interiors of some stations and interactive cars that the player and NPCs could enter. And, most of all, it would be necessary to design a smart transit AI for this game. Yes, an impossible task if we consider the fact that the city traffic AI in CP2077 does not work very well.

The city looks amazing from above. That is why riding a monorail, although not the most important aspect of the game, would greatly increase the immersion and improve our gaming experience. As soon as I acquired Double Jump I started looking for a way to ride a monorail.

I discovered that there are a several places in the city where the player can jump, climb and get on the tracks: especially in Downtown, Little China and Northside. I am sure the developers were well aware of that, so they tried to make it as difficult as possible for the player to get there and placed many invisible walls around certain areas (e.g. in the vicinity of the Afterlife) and on the tracks. Still, the player might get through some of them and ride a monorail.

There are huge parts of the tracks where it's possible to enjoy a ride for almost a minute (before the train disappears or the invisible wall blocks the way). It is an incredible experience. The vistas are breathtaking (pun intended). I highly recommend anyone to try it. If you liked riding a rollercoaster with Johnny, then you'll be having a blast with the monorail. There are no problems with performance, missing textures etc. during the ride, so it should not be a problem for any PC user. The city looks as impressive from above as it is on the street level. It's a pity that we are not able to fully enjoy this experience. Still, one can get a taste of it by taking advantage of the whole immersive sim systems that are available in the game (without resorting to any "cheats" or mods).

I wish the developers, after taking care of the more pressing issues with the game, could bring interactive transit system back to life. What do you think? Do you miss properly implemented NCART in NC?

Here are some shots I took while riding a monorail in various districts:

View attachment 11162969
View attachment 11162975
View attachment 11162978
View attachment 11162981
View attachment 11162984
View attachment 11162987
View attachment 11162993
View attachment 11162996
View attachment 11162999
View attachment 11163002
This would be such an amazing feature as it would take exploring NC to a whole different level since there are no flying cars. It's confusing it wasnt there in the first place since it was shown in trailers and train stations, tracks etc already exist. It would be an amazing thing to do and make the game so much more immersive and fun overall in my oppinion.

Pawel mentioned the transport system in his twitch stream, He said he felt that the transport system would get used once as a novelty and not used again when there were so many other means of transportation.

From that I figure it would be a lot of work for very little reward and the devs efforts best spent elsewhere

Guest 3847602

Pawel mentioned the transport system in his twitch stream, He said he felt that the transport system would get used once as a novelty and not used again when there were so many other means of transportation.
Exactly how I'd describe my experience with train in Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed Syndicate - "Cool feature, but as pointless as a broken pencil".
I hopped on it once, took a 3 minute ride, jumped out and never used it again.

Monorail system is not necessary, but would certainly make the game feel more like a world and not a videogame.

There are too many things in CP2077 where you just interact with icons or cardboard cutouts, teleport from place to place, or use items from your inventory that have no visual representation in the game world. Its too "game-y".

It is true that the monorail feature would likely become useless and ignored, and so I would prefer CDPR spend their effort in other immersive elements.
Did you know there is a train that you can stand inside in GTA5? Yeah, and nobody uses it. Basically everything is faster way to getting from place to place, including a bicycle. The city still has a moving train and trainstations and everything..

AC syndicate train is slightly better, because there are interactable stuff inside it, your homebase, and riding on the streets is actually annoying.

ps. I think the main reason why people are so hung up on public NC transportation, is because advertising vids showed V riding it, thus implying that the game would have it. just like hundred other things.

Last edited:
I mean the monorail runs, in that sense the world has a monorail you can see working so it fulfills the role of helping to bring the city to life, you just cannot ride it.

But on the subject of other examples of train systems that don't get any use I put forward the deeprun tram that links ironforge to stormwind in World of Warcraft, rarely used and was of use in just collecting the flight point that connected the two cities, after that everyone flew. (I think there were a cpl of quests down there but it was so empty the ERP'rs used to use it for privacy)

Top Bottom