Publisher?

+
EA can be a publisher from a distribution standpoint as long as its not directly involving funding and deadlines their input should be negligible..... But as EA is a fairly toxic name, (whether this is correct or justified is irrelevant, perception is king) at the moment I highly doubt they will.... Witcher 2 on Xbox was published through Namco Bandai, if I remember correctly.

Not sure if digital distributsion can be done through a different publisher from the retail/console release.

Problem with some publishers is that they like to get their grubby hands into the mix and eff shit up. I understand seeing as they are attaching their name to it, but sometimes they go so far as to change important aspects of the game and take away from the dev's original vision.

I'm pretty sure most pubs are guilty, but some less than others. I just hope CP remains as envisioned.

Witcher 2 on Xbox was published through Namco Bandai, if I remember correctly.

Well, that's not gonna happen, considering the court case. THQ is out too. That leaves... 2K I guess? Bethesda? Neither Activison, nor EA would go for it, not enough control.

Dunno, maybe CDP is mature enough to handle retail distribution worldwide. Probably not though.

Problem with some publishers is that they like to get their grubby hands into the mix and eff shit up. I understand seeing as they are attaching their name to it, but sometimes they go so far as to change important aspects of the game and take away from the dev's original vision.

I'm pretty sure most pubs are guilty, but some less than others. I just hope CP remains as envisioned.

SOME publishers?!

I'd say the majority of mainstream publishers are like this.

I'd personally hate to see Bethesda get their dirty little hands on this and turn it into another 'Mainstream' RPG just like they did with the Fallout series but thats just me.

We shall see what happens but the concept for Cyberpunk 2077 is a solid one.

In Poland they will self publish as they started as a publishing company. Digitally i'm pretty sure game will be available on GOG (no DRM) and steam. Retail worldwide - i suppose they will sign distribution deals and not publishing ones which means they will have much greater control. I think Witcher 2 had distribution deals

Jayve

Forum regular
Square Enix maybe? They´re terrible devs this gen but great publishers, just look at Sleeping Dogs & Deus Ex: HR! And I heard Hitman: Absolution was a decent game, too!
Of course the best solution would be if CDPR could publish it on their own....

Yeah, SE might be nice. Say what you will about the games they make, they've done great as a publisher. And they like their PC versions, so that's even better.

I think we wont find out until the last moment. Its all about the best deal for CDPR. Not other way around.

Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 they didnt have much options when it came to choosing a publisher.. that ended up with many problems. Its hard if not many people know who you are. But now CDPR shouldnt worry and just look for right publisher ..It might be Warner bros again.. dunno its hard to tell.

I'd personally hate to see Bethesda get their dirty little hands on this and turn it into another 'Mainstream' RPG just like they did with the Fallout series but thats just me.

This is about distribution deals, not actual publishing. Whoever they sign with will have nothing to say about the game.

Aver

Forum veteran
I bet it will be Warner Bros, but it's to early too speculate. Square Enix only publish games of their internal development teams. Only exception is Sleeping Dogs, but from what I've read they own rights to this franchise now.

Also CDPR using their in house engine reduces their licensing costs to third parties which is always a good thing to stop outside influence.... ME4 is looking to do a similar thing by dropping UE in favour of using DICE's Frostbite

Square Enix or Warner Bros. would be cool for them, latter did pretty well with Xbox 360 version in the market, plus both of them distributed great games and are renowned too.

All I want is a publisher/distributor who can successfully put this game on PC and consoles, and not mass with anything about it.

Can't see any reason why CDPR should not go with Atari again?
They did a good job with both of the Witchers, so...

Warner Bros. handled The Witcher 2 on 360, and I think they did a pretty good job with it. Not to mention how well they've handled the Arkham games, Lollipop Chainsaw and Mortal Kombat.

Atari have done a good job on PC so far, but they need someone bigger for the console market. THQ would've been a good fit, but sadly they're in a bad place right now. If they don't recuperate, I'd say 2K or Bethesda.

I dont know anything about it to pick someone. But I guess who will give CDPR the best deal will be chosen as Publisher in NA and Europe.

Top Bottom