Punishing for playing the Game wrong.

+
Punishing for playing the Game wrong.

So there have been some people that had problems with not receiving any experience from main quests anymore. And i think i know what the problem is. The problem isn't really a bug but a stupid design decision.
The quests experience reward scales down if your higher level than the quests recommended level and completely vanished if your 5 levels higher. This is a HUGE issue, because it punished the player for playing the game wrong, which an open-world game should never ever do.
Even though you get experience from killing monsters in this game, the experience overall is pretty damn limited. Because the exp reward for killing monsters is so little, the experience from quests is essential in order to progress through the game. Since the experience scales down when your too high level, the player HAS to only do quests that are on his level and avoid any higher level quests like the pest, because the higher level quests, that he could beat when he was really good, would level him up and keep him from getting experience form the lower level quests. CDPR fix this. This is stupid. I was having a blast with this game and just now lost all interest in continuing to play it, because i had too much fun exploring and now don't get any freaking exp from the main quest anymore.

First I thought you were totally right. That's why I clicked "Thanks" already.
Then I read wazaa's post and thought again. And came to the conclusion that he is totally right.

I think it is good that you don't get any XP on that particular quests anymore. But is that a punishment? No, I don't think so. You still get your rewards, Orens, stuff etc, so the ingame reason why Geralt is doing that is given. That he does not get experience for easy quests is also understandable.
I am not really getting why you feel your play style is punishing. You got your XP from side quests, right? Just consider you have mostly done main quests. You would not get any XP for the side quests, wich would be below your level. There are just much more quests than you could do at a specific level. So if you want to do all, you have to live with no XP gain and just enjoy the story :)

It vanishes if you're 6 levels higher. If you're L20, L15 quests will still give you XP but L14 will give you nada.

Because it's a LINEAR game placed in very large multi region open maps. Just because you are free to roam anywhere you want, doesn't change the fact that the game path is linear with very little role playing choices and the XP system basically prevents, or heavily discourages you from doing your own thing.

I agree with you and also disagree with you. There are a lot of quests in the Norther Realms and to do all of them and to have them all grant you experience would be great. But at the same time if you are lvl 30 doing a lvl 15 contract i don't think you should gain as much as you would if you were lvl 15-20. The easier something is to do the less experience you will gain. On this note though i do think they should up the exp. from monsters just a little bit. and implement a base amount of exp to be gained from each quest. SO the higher lvl you are the less exp you will gain but you would atleast gain something. On the plus side max level is 70 and there should be enough lvl appropriate quests to get you to that level.

What bothers me most, is the fact that the quest disappear if you are 5 level above recommended level!
I didn't knew that. Isn't it a recommended level?

I get the less exp you get from doing them overleveled, I don't get why they are vanished. Damn, you could even get none for beeing overleveled, but, don't vanish it if you decide to do it later on, because you wanted to do some other stuff.
That's the only thing I can't agreed with...

hum i dont really care, as long they give some gold , the story for the side quest is rewarding enough

My objection is the way in which quests come up, on leaving Golden Orchard at level 4 one of the first quest I came across was a level 33 one. On getting to the next quest in the story which was in line with appropriate level I got side tracked and levelled up two or three times before I got to the story quest mentioned. A scaled quest system with rewards and XP related to level may have been a better approach.

It vanishes if you're 6 levels higher. If you're L20, L15 quests will still give you XP but L14 will give you nada.

That's weird, because i did "Ladies of the Wood" on level 11 and got no exp, even though i am only 5 levels over the recommended level.

hum i dont really care, as long they give some gold , the story for the side quest is rewarding enough

If it were just for sidequests it would be fine, but i currently actually get no reward for main quests either.

Wait, I think I got it wrong lol

When say it vanishes, you're talking about the exp you gain, or the quest vanishes from the list?

I thought you were saying that the quest vanishes if you are overleveled.

I'm actually okay with this. Anyone remember Kingdoms of Amalur? In that game, if you tried doing everything you would be overleveled to the point of godhood within about two zones. I'm glad CDPR took steps to make sure the game is a reasonable challenge whether you're working on sidequests or not.

Wow! I thought I was imagining things. For now it sounds bad. The thing is: you don't get XP and the loot you get is prolly gonna be too weak for you, too. I wanted to do these quests for the story, but they gimp me so hard that now I'll prolly skip some of them and leave them for my second playthrough, when I shall skip some of the ones I already did in the first playthrough instead.

And I don't think this is playing wrong. The pace of the proggression is downright weird. It seems you can overlevel just by doing the primary quests and a few others. Stuff is weird, bro. It seems like the lack of rewards from easy quests was their way to diminish overleveling, but overleveling is in big time anyways. I guess I need some more play time to wrap my head around this. I may still end up liking it.

I don't see it so much as an xp issue, as an issue with the scaling of the game. if the low level quests scaled up a little (not enough to make drowners stupidly powerful or anything, just enough to keep them a challenge) when you were a higher level and the higher level quests (again, not making more powerful large monsters killable at low levels, but making lvl 15 drowners scale either down to level 5 or up to level 25 depending on how powerful you are. Scaling is good for big, challenging monsters, but coming across some bears that you can kill easily and others that are near invincible is just jarring.

I thought this was gong to be about technique. The game teaches you early on that fights can be easy with proper technique or hard and long or impossible if doing things you shouldn't. Good example, button bashing to hope for success. I'm not very good, but I manage.

I didn't notice any issues with experience points, but then again, I haven't finished the game. Trying not to rush, yet I have no idea how close I am to the ending. Everything seems pretty well balanced.

Because it's a LINEAR game placed in very large multi region open maps. Just because you are free to roam anywhere you want, doesn't change the fact that the game path is linear with very little role playing choices and the XP system basically prevents, or heavily discourages you from doing your own thing.

genuinely interested, is there any rpgs of late that aren't linear by that definition? Is any game really non linear except stuff like minecraft, dayz etc.

I don't see how this is a problem. It makes sense both from a game design and a game world logic perspective.

The diminishing XP yield doesn't prevent anyone from leveling up as much as they need to - it prevents them from leveling up too much. If the game doesn't give you any more XP for a quest, it's because you already have enough and don't need it. I don't understand how this somehow stops you from exploring outside of main story quests. That is, unless you want to be able to over-level, I guess that doesn't work. It's also hardly shocking news that the game does this - TW2 had similar XP mechanics.

Plus, from a logical perspective, a high-level Geralt wouldn't learn anything from killing the eleventy-billionth Nekker or going back to White Orchard to find someone's frying pan. So it makes sense that you wouldn't get a lot of XP anymore from doing these things after a while.

I don't see how this is a problem. It makes sense both from a game design and a game world logic perspective.

The diminishing XP yield doesn't prevent anyone from leveling up as much as they need to - it prevents them from leveling up too much. If the game doesn't give you any more XP for a quest, it's because you already have enough and don't need it. I don't understand how this somehow stops you from exploring outside of main story quests. That is, unless you want to be able to over-level, I guess that doesn't work. It's also hardly shocking news that the game does this - TW2 had similar XP mechanics.

Plus, from a logical perspective, a high-level Geralt wouldn't learn anything from killing the eleventy-billionth Nekker or going back to White Orchard to find someone's frying pan. So it makes sense that you wouldn't get a lot of XP anymore from doing these things after a while.

I don't think it's a problem either, provided theres always going to be enough xp to get to max level in the game. Otherwise it effectively locks you out of skills. a bigger problem, like I mentioned, is immersion breaking invincible enemies, when the exact same species is mystifyingly easy to kill one field over...

Top Bottom