Punk and Cyberpunk... timeless

+

Niatka

Forum regular
despite my gothic vectors, I have always remained Punk. my way of thinking, of living, my reading, the music; everything remained intact in my mind. Rebel, unconventional, anti-conformist, dressing to provoke and demonstrate; I am not a sheep.
it is annoying for many, well, not for me.
I am happy with the compliments that young girls and young men tell me about my way of being.
I have 42 years old; Punk, Steampunk, why not; Cyberpunk.

a thought for Johnny, that motherfucker I like.

I'll join in. This old fart gets nostalgic at times about his mohawk wearing days at times.

For Johnny:

Niatka

Forum regular
NPD... in this shitty world, I came to be known with all the evils of this planet.

I prefer, Action / Reaction.
I was born in a country called CCCP at the time. I was a victim of the 1986 disaster, I was 7 years old. doomed to certain death, I survived but I am sterile, never being able to be pregnant. however, I immediately understood the will of the state power of the time; the state lie.
- the situation is under control, there is no real danger;
my parents did not survive. my rebellious spirit will was born at that moment. at 7 I understood that a state lies, it always lies.

later my beloved aunt, who worked in japan, ordered me to follow her to study there, then to the United Kingdom. I am a mathematician and highly qualified in philosophy. in Japan, I meet young Japanese people who are passionate about computers and their deviations. the dangers of the net, the power of multinationals on the web.

much later I become a young woman hacker. betrayed, denounced to the police, I am arrested. more than 13 years in prison for theft of very sensitive data concerning a state [...]
2006-2019 cut off from the living world to break me down, to become a "normal" person. missed, I have not changed, despite the mental and physical suffering.

maybe I could have changed, become "suitable" for you. if that motherfucker general attorney, after my judgment, my sentence declared, his words calling me a "web terrorist" and "irresponsible anarchist". this man, a bastard to the bone, offered me a deal;
no prison, work for us, for the state. "you have great intellectual resources. use your great knowledge for the common good..."

I spat in his face, between the plague and the cholera; I prefered prison.

NPD; What the fuck?

crop.jpg

Well, when I read NPD I thought that it was a Swedish hardcore group...its not very surprising,that many people who enjoyed the game didn't liked the "punk" component.
I suspect most people just like cyberpunk aesthetics ,not cyberpunk themes

On the contrary, I think they take a pretty good look at cyberpunk themes, usually through the characters.

Take Johnny, who represents the true rebel - utterly, totally convinced he is right, that the System/Authority is Evil, and has the drive to play the part of the messianic fighter. The line between fighting for his Cause and narcissistic self-worship through action is blurry at best, and he takes "break the system" to it's logical extreme - even if that means working as a pawn for a corporation (militech, specifically - it's their tac-nukes he's using) and killing twelve thousand people in what may have actually been all about assuaging his guilt over relationship mistakes. When he was pressed between "do you just wear a leather jacket and talk about how rebellious you are because you don't look like a corpo, or do you go all the way"...he went all the way.

Kerry went the other way. He wore the leather jacket, he loved the idea of rebellion, but at the end of the day he had to realize that it was the system that let him do that. It was the system that paid him for his rebellion, and it was the system that gave him all the rewards he dreamed a rebellion would bring. His entire story arc is basically the last fling of his "blood and chrome" being anything more than a song he sings before going back to his real life.

And that is cyberpunk AF. Trying to find the line of what is "resistance", what is "selling out", and the effect of those actions on yourself others, and the blur between a Cause and self-validation.

I was actually referring to players,no game characters or developers. Is why I also think that many people is pissed off by the endings,while I found them very cyberpunkish (New Rose Hotel, very good cyberpunk story an ending).

I've written a lot on the endings thread, so I won't spam here, but yeah - I thought the endings were on the money for cyberpunk. And despite how unpopular it is, I REALLY liked that the characters don't all shape their lives around V in the ending, but make their own decisions that V might be part of...or might not.

Narcissistic personality disorder? Sounds like the kind of thing someone with no personality would make up, or an establishment desperate to create convenient pigeonholes to pop us all into. And they say 1984 has been and gone?

Top Bottom