PvP: yay or nay?

+
Multiplayer hasn’t even been confirmed and you people are already discussing its intricacies? What?

I voted no for starters, I don't want open pvp, I would be happy if there was a feature that pvp would be available. Something like Borderlands has, with the arena and the requested duel. Co-op would be much better.

I think my other concern would be: how could they introduce PvP that didn't make the game feel immersion-breaking?

I think the biggest gap to overcome between the RPG and the PvP community is that PvP'ers aren't in it for the "immersion" experience, or at least, I wouldn't think so. "Respawning" doesn't really lend itself to immersion in the character.

On the surface, I like ^ Clay's suggestion above, but the Borderlands franchise is pretty tongue-in-cheek, and fairly "arcade-y." Both their "respawn" mechanic and their PvP mechanic don't feel out of place there. I think those kinds of things would feel TOTALLY out of place in the kind of game most of us are expecting.

I think my other concern would be: how could they introduce PvP that didn't make the game feel immersion-breaking?

I think the biggest gap to overcome between the RPG and the PvP community is that PvP'ers aren't in it for the "immersion" experience, or at least, I wouldn't think so. "Respawning" doesn't really lend itself to immersion in the character.

On the surface, I like ^ Clay's suggestion above, but the Borderlands franchise is pretty tongue-in-cheek, and fairly "arcade-y." Both their "respawn" mechanic and their PvP mechanic don't feel out of place there. I think those kinds of things would feel TOTALLY out of place in the kind of game most of us are expecting.

Thats my second biggest issue, is how out of place it would feel. It would take a lot to anything like this to feel appropriate in relation to the setting.

Ohhhhhhh..I think Friendly Fire would instantly feel appropriate -and- comfortable in the setting.

whistles

Multiplayer hasn’t even been confirmed and you people are already discussing its intricacies? What?

I think the idea here is to prevent MP/PVP from ever happening.

I voted no for starters, I don't want open pvp, I would be happy if there was a feature that pvp would be available. Something like Borderlands has, with the arena and the requested duel. Co-op would be much better.

This

Ohhhhhhh..I think Friendly Fire would instantly feel appropriate -and- comfortable in the setting.

whistles

Mixed with this

"Immersion immersion immersion!" ©Jan Brady

So re-spawning is "immersion-breaking", but reloading a save after your character dies isn't?

What's with this "immersion"? Most over-used word in video gaming today. And why can't PvP be immersing? Is there some sort of alternate definition of "immersion" I don't know about that excludes PvP from being immersing?

Well. Yes. Because respawning is pretty immersion breaking. And PvP, being a mock-fatal combat against other human players, is immersion-breaking as all get out. You kill them,they kill you, everyone comes back. Immersion break.

They are named, "L0s3r-k1ll3r". Immersion break.

You are a carefully-built killer/hacker/thief/whatever, one of the best in Night City. Meet twenty other people, ALSO that. Immersion break.

You sprint madly around, firing or stabbing or hacking madly, unworried about your personal safety in a deadly future. You need to win this round! Immersion break.

GAME START IN 3....2....1 in huge letters. Immersion break.

It's simpler to ask what about PvP ISN'T immersion breaking? Very little.

That having been said, make it a map option. Empty map, TCP connection, have fun kids. More options the better. Keep it basic - worry about connections and leave the rest to the players.

Or just a friendly fire switch for MP Co Op.

Well. Yes. Because respawning is pretty immersion breaking. And PvP, being a mock-fatal combat against other human players, is immersion-breaking as all get out. You kill them,they kill you, everyone comes back. Immersion break.

You are a carefully-built killer/hacker/thief/whatever, one of the best in Night City. Meet twenty other people, ALSO that. Immersion break.

You sprint madly around, firing or stabbing or hacking madly, unworried about your personal safety in a deadly future. You need to win this round! Immersion break.

It's simpler to ask what about PvP ISN'T immersion breaking? Very little.

That having been said, make it a map option. Empty map, TCP connection, have fun kids. More options the better. Keep it basic - worry about connections and leave the rest to the players.

Or just a friendly fire switch for MP Co Op.

The only MP PVP game I ever dug, could ever really get into at all, was SO-COM, 1, it was done in 3rd person default with an option for first person, which meant people didn't looks stupid running around... and 2, and more importantly, the default mode was no re-spawn during matches... if you died, you stayed dead until the next match... so get good or be bored a lot. Either way, it was much better than the endless respawning everyone running around like a twat. Unfortuantely, the glitchers and cheaters ruined it for everyone, as they always do... which is yet one more, of a volume of reasons, not to make CP 2077 a multiplayer PVP game, or even waste resources on making that an option.

As has been said, just turning on friendly fire in co-op is more than enough..

But again, how's that different from reloading a saved game after you die? The only practical difference between re-spawns and game re-loads is that you have to go to the load screen and choose your saved game.

Why?

So actual competition by a human-driven character is immersion-breaking? Scripted, easy as 1 2 3 competition from an NPC is immersing? Maybe your character isn't so carefully built after all.

I guess you don't really know how to PvP :)

GAME LOADING ......... , with a bar going across the bottom of wallpaper...so?

It's not very different from reloading a saved game - both are immersion breaking. And to be avoided in an RPG.

Actual competition by a human-driven character is immersion breaking, yes. Because you are the star of your story, not them. You do understand this is to be an RPG, correct? Denigrating my character build isn't a point-winner either. My non-existent build, to boot.

My ability to play a video game and be l33t dude over other l33t dudes isn't really the issue. My ego is sufficiently well-insulated to survive my ability or lack theeof in this arena. The issue is that Person versus Person combat strikes a dissonant chord in the harmony of imagination and choice that a good role-playing game brings out.

In any case, it's unlikely to be an issue - CDPR has little evinced interest in PvP and CP2077 wil require much attention to what they are interested in.

It's not very different from reloading a saved game - both are immersion breaking. And to be avoided in an RPG.
So you don't want to die in an RPG? Or you die, then you start the game all over again?

Actual competition by a human-driven character is immersion breaking, yes. Because you are the star of your story, not them. You do understand this is to be an RPG, correct? Denigrating my character build isn't a point-winner either. My non-existent build, to boot.
And RPG = "I am the star" automatically? Do you think it not possible to role-play a member of a team? Do you expect an RPG to be success after success after succes with no risk of failure? Seems to me, having someone/something better than you in a game will heighten the sense of realism.

My ability to play a video game and be l33t dude over other l33t dudes isn't really the issue. My ego is sufficiently well-insulated to survive my ability or lack theeof in this arena. The issue is that Person versus Person combat strikes a dissonant chord in the harmony of imagination and choice that a good role-playing game brings out.
That's a pretty sentence, but, really? Your imagination can't handle being part of a team or failing against an ever-changing opponent?

Nay! I sayeth nay!

I sayeth unto you, my faceless scribe of the flickering screen, multiplayer must only exist in this game as a coop mode and nothing more.

And I shall hear no more of this PvP cockamamie henceforth.

PvP is not too bad providing the game is co-op, not MMO...if it is MMO, then we'll end up having all those pew-pewers who camp at the noob spawning points and nuke everything that moves, ruining the fun for everybody else.....in multiplayer/co-op, I see n0o problem why there should not be the option to have two or three runner teams of 1-5 members each competing with each other....but since the poll choices are global and not conditional, I go with N-fucking-O

I am really hoping that CP 2077 will be a story-centric RPG like the Witcher games, so I voted no on the PvP format.

The game Transformers: War for Cybertron is a great example of combining story and co-op- players can do main story missions together by playing different transformers.

But players should have the option to do the story solo.

If there is PVP I want it as a toggle so you dont have to engage unless you care to, but if there is PVP I want a cybersnake just to give them nightmares, and I want the good cybersnake from hardwired not the POS from the CP 2020 rulebook.

I don't even think it will be included to begin with. If MP in and of itself is debatable then having PvP and trying to figure out how to balance everything and include that into the game is more than likely not even on the To Do list.

Top Bottom