[q] scriptstudio breakpoints broken?

+
[q] scriptstudio breakpoints broken?

i can't get them to function. all i can do is profile function calls, which means tracing dependencies in a very time consuming manner.

attempting to rebuild also causes strange behaviour in the game, so other than that, notepad++ or VS still superior? ;o

i guess that's why they call them 'breakpoints'?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 91
@smalldjo notrigger... just... keeps chugging along... unless it doesn't like me using the mods script folder... dunno... if that's the case... why bother ;o

i haz no red circle, just a cruddy grey one :(

Last edited:
sometimes you need to reload and choose 'install mod ' if you are not doing this already.
also be careful where to put the breakpoint ;see below
View attachment 31680

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 96
@smalldjo lol, didn't know there was an option to install mod. however...

when i did that, it's like the folder structure travelled back in time bro... i created the wrong folder... so i deleted it... windows no longer sees it, but scriptstudio still does on close/reload? so then i created a new mod in the folder after deleting+recreating it... it still sees all the old folders... created a new mod anyways, windows doesn't see it... so what did it create (said it copied all the source files)? ;\

i think it messed something up and needs a system reboot :O

wtf i have to add all local files and directories manually? :\ and it just overwrites any files that is there... great.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. scriptstudio has crashed. again.

lol, had to close/reload it this time, and the local files are there without the need to add anything. odd...

and breakpoints still don't work... HOLY COMPILATION ERRORS.

ok, i can't make any sense of this thing.. it installs the mod it into a folder called 'local' then throws a bunch of 'already defined' errors. haha...

i had to move it out of local folder... or game won't load... wonder if breakpoints will still work... nope, no break, and no red circles. LOL

i give up... this thing i obviously too complicated for me.

Last edited:
here what to do , maybe you will catch what you are doing wrong :
- create en empty folder somewhere let's say D:/mods/ modtest
- open scriptstudio and create a new mod : name: modtest ; workspace : D:/mods/ modtest : gameinstall : your witcher main dir
- scriptstudio will import the game scripts(the ones from content0) and create modtest.redsln; and a scripts folder containing and empty local folder and and the source scripts
- now just browse the file you want to mod (in the source folder), mod it (or add your own file) ; save , and file->install mod, this will create the mod folder inside your witcher3/mod folder containing only the files you moded and any files you added, that's it

-------------------------------
as for breakpoints every time you modify a file you need to reload->install mod for them to work or else they wont trigger
View attachment 31730View attachment 31720

Attachments

• mod2.JPG
    mod2.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 91
  • mod1.JPG
    mod1.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
@smalldjo i did exactly that, except i put my own files presumably in the 'local' folder it creates. that fails. anyways, i don't like this whole thing, crashes, is unpredictable, etc... thanks though.

@smalldjo notrigger... just... keeps chugging along... unless it doesn't like me using the mods script folder... dunno... if that's the case... why bother ;o

i haz no red circle, just a cruddy grey one :(

See the screenshot uploaded by smalldjo. Make sure that "game" is selected in the combobox (the default value is "editor") and the Script Studio is connected to the game (the green red/bug button). Also you must start the game with "-net" command line argument...

@wolfmark been there, done that... no dice... thing is a buggy mess. you sure just -net? i thought -debugscripts.

anyways, nevermind this buggy piece of junk... it'll probably end up frying my pc.

If the "Connect to running game" button in the script editor turns green, it means you have passed it the right arguments.
One reason why your break points aren't working could be because another version of the script is loaded by the game. Probably another mod is modifying the same script.

@skylineR390

- now just browse the file you want to mod (in the source folder), mod it (or add your own file) ; save , and file->install mod

ok, that's pretty much what did it... you drop them in the source folders... lmao... and it doesn't copy scripts in the base scripts folder, like your own... or w3strings... or any of that junk...

but now breakpoints works, and are red, thanks.

and wcc_lite needs full permissions on the modkit folders.

ugh, i have to run scriptstudio on another pc... can't alt-tab out haha... oh, finally... breakpoints work...

well, callstack mainly... all i care about.

now i'm wondering if i can clear all that junk out of the source folder...

---

edit: well, after deleting all the source files, replacing with my own, breakpoints still work, but they're not red ;o

and i couldn't resume... had to disconnect from that game? ;\ still not red... hehe

yea, alt-tabbing is way too buggy... can't get the scriptstudio window back up, would have to run w3 in a window or studio on another pc :\

Last edited:
@skylineR390
well, callstack mainly... all i care about.
I feel ya. I would have gone crazy if I it wasn't for that.
In cases when you are completely clueless and you don't know where to begin to loook, continuous profiling, followed by performing the action you are interested in can point you in the right direction too. You'll just have to go through all the function calls in the frames it took you to alt+tab and stop the profiler.
edit: well, after deleting all the source files, replacing with my own, breakpoints still work, but they're not red ;o
and i couldn't resume... had to disconnect from that game? ;\ still not red... hehe
Sometimes it will stop working for no reason. What I do is type some gibberish, delete it and save the file then use the reload scripts function. Don't ever save your game after using the reload scripts option though; the game will begin acting up.

As for source management. I find it easier to handle that myself. I put my sources where I want and in the folders that I want, no need to place them in "Local" or anything. Then I simply open the script editor, select import scripts directory and point it to my mod scripts. Then, because I'm always looking up function definitions that may not be in the scripts I'm modifying, I open another instance of the script editor and point it to the game sources, located under content0. One thing you need to have in mind when doing this is that only one instance of the editor can be connected to the game at a time.

@skylineR390 reload scripts... yea that's bugged too. as for looking stuff up, i just added .ws and .as files to windows index service. and yea, i have scripts to manage my source, because... well, there is no decent source/mod management software for this game.

i may release my 'scripts-to-manage-scripts' some day, or roll them into an application... but doubt it... ain't nobody got time fo' dat. currently fixing a backup app for work. ;o

---------- Updated at 10:58 PM ----------

@skylineR390

well, it seems the requirement for fully function breakpoints is a script rebuild. so indeed, change 1 file. better yet, have a script delete and re-create an empty script file in the mod folder, will be enough to trigger a rebuild of scripts.

also, no need to 'install mod', etc... can just copy the mod using a script to the scriptstudio source folder, and also to the witcher mod folder yourself. have the same script just replace a single file in the witcher folder.

i couldn't get check in/out to work for local either. out crashes, in does squat except error.

-----

or even easier, commandline scriptstudio.exe /scriptpath "somePath" /game <- connects to game and sets scriptpath. although still shouldn't use witcher 3 mod folder, since it locks the files as in use.

have to test it on another pc though, can just copy scripts over the network, assuming it'll work in that config.

echo /* %random% */ > random.ws (lol, it works even though it's a comment)

Last edited:
Top Bottom