Quality of Life improvements for NR Charges

+
SY Coins are more or less just a different version of charges and therefore everything coin related in SY has some huge similarities to everything charge related in NR. Nonetheless, after looking at SY, I feel as if there are quite a couple of things, that really improve the gameplay compared to NR. So I want to talk about some QoL changes to charges in NR that is inspired by some of the SY mechanics.

Giving and using charges
One of the the greatest improvements I see in SY is, that there are a lot of engines who generate coins themselves, thus enabling their effect, while not necessarilly having to use the coins themselves. In NR it is similiar up to a certain point, as most charge engines start with some charges themselves. The only problem is that if they have no Zeal, they can be removed and the charge is lost, while a SY engine getting removed gave you the coins already.
Therefore, I'd like to introduce a new keyword:
Support X: If the unit on the right side uses charges, give it X charges. Else gain X charges.
This way the player can distribute his charges a bit more freely and can avoid loosing all his charges by cards getting removed.

Having lots of ways to use charges
From my experience SY has quite a lot of ways to spend coins (there are 19 cards with Fee and 14 with Tribute in comparision NR has 16 units which can use charges and there are 3 neutral cards), and while it is still possible to generate more coin than you can use, it is far more unlikely to completly brick than in NR, where it can happen quite easily against enemies with a lot of locks or removals, that you have nothing to use your charges on anymore.
Therefore, I'd like to give cards ways to use charges, which might not be efficient, but are usefull nonetheless.

Lyrian Cavalry, Order: Use 2 Charges and gain a Shield.

As well as the other way around, cards that can use Charges from a different ally, such that charges of locked units won't go to waste.
Crewed: Transfer the charges of adjacent allies to yourself on deploy.
And to use that to its fullest their could be cards that have charges but can't use charges themselves, but would be still usefull with cards like Dandelion, Ban Ard Tutor, Bloody Flail and the Crewed Tag.
Furthermore, as suggested by a lot of people already, Kaedweni Cavalry and Thaler should work on allies too.

Hoart abilities
I really like the idea of Hoart abilities, which makes the player collect coins and not to spend them all immediantly.
I believe that would be something, which could be further increased in NR besides existing cards (like Ban Ard Tutor and Bloody Baron), by giving some units extra effects once they have enough charges. For example Kaedweni Seargent could increase its boost while he has 4 or more charges.

What would you think about those ideas?

It's better to remove all coin-like mechanics and invent another mechanic, that can be playable inside all factions. I think, cards must be more universal. Even harmony and handbuff of ST must be played inside all factions: harmony can work for all categories, handbuff can be made for all creatures. So, random arena's card or create mechanic can be activated in any case and with better result. This is much more interesting. Look again to HS: all cards can be played by all leaders, that makes the game more flawless and variable. It makes steal mechanics, for example, more useful. And this steal mechanic, I think, can become the main mechanic for new faction - instead of coins.

Last edited:
It's better to remove all coin-like mechanics, and invent another mechanic, that can be played inside all the factions. I think, cards must be more universal. I think, that even harmony and handbuff of ST must be played inside all factions. Harmony can work for all categoryies, handbuff can be made for all creatures. So, arena's card or create mechanic can be activated in any case. This is much more interesting. Look again to HS: all cards can be played by all leaders, that make the game more flowless and interesting. It makes steal mechanics, for example, more usefull. And, this steal mechanic, I think, can become the main for new faction instead of coins.
That has nothing to do with this topic. There are enough topics for the discussion of the Coin mechanic itself already.

That has nothing to do with this topic. There are enough topics for the discussion of the Coin mechanic itself already.
I said "coin-like". This means orders with charges, which are bonded with NR, too. I don't think, that there can be a good evolution of orders at all. Coins are orders with zeal - there is no a big difference.

That would literaly kill variability. Bad idea. Let the coins stay where they are supossed to be. The same goes for harmony, thrive, assimilate... they are very similiar mechanics and yet different. They are signature mechanics of their respective factions which defiens identity of those factions. Dont ruin it, what would be the point of having faction when you want to make it universal???

Just think about possible solutions without ruining the game. I have mentioned one in this thread

That would literaly kill variability. Bad idea. Let the coins stay where they are supossed to be. The same goes for harmony, thrive, assimilate... they are very similiar mechanics and yet different.
U understood wrong. I don't mean giving all abilities like assimilation and another faction-specific mechanics to all factions. I mean, that if some faction somehow has got some opponent's or another faction's card (by stealing, copying, creating or on the arena), it could play it with profit. So, in deckbuilding assimilation would be available only for NG, harmony - only for ST and so on. This is not killing variability, but contrariwise makes game more variable. It'll make, for example, arena more interesting, like in HS.

Frankly speaking, thrive and assimilation are already working that way - they can be played by all factions with the profit. So I didn't mark them, but only ST's harmony, hand buff, SY's coins and NR's recharge and rechargeable cards, which are mostly useless outside of it's faction. May be there are some other faction specific mechanics, that can be converted to universally useable.

Given this, I can suggest, that all runic stones can be made neutral for more variability in deckbuilding.

Last edited:
So, when I was saying NR is really close to OP no one paid attention. Now we have SY and everybody are "It's OP".

Orders and stacking Orders is a pain in the backside to balance. But if those are to stay - they NEED to be balanced for the faction that uses them, through all the other factions that are playing against them.

Guest 4305932

Related to NR (and other factions):

I disagree with Freddy's implementation, but I agree that all factions should get their own coin mechanic.

Imho this would be really bad for the game. Not only it would make factions more flat but it would make gwent just another mana-focused card game. One of the best things in gwent is the lack of mana (even with sy).

But some mechanics (like traitor) could be implemented as "normal" mechanics and i would like them.

Top Bottom