Quest: Beat on the brat - gameplay issue

+
In the fistfight quest chain "beat on the brat", there is an issue of using dodge/sidestep in the fistfights. If you do, the opponents just track you and the punch will hit regardless, turning dodge entirely useless in these fights. I can't believe this is intended.

This is very obvious when using Kerenzikov augment, since time slows on a successful dodge (letting you know that the dodge was successful), and you see the opponent pivot on their feet while their punch is in the air and you see the punch land on you.

Guest 4060800

Another issue: player damage seems to be bugged. I was fighting El César and did only like 1 to 2% damage with each heavy blow, so I invested 5 more attribute points into body, got gorilla arms that deal 119-146 damage +49-60 physical damage with 10% bleeding chance and expected to see that dude take considerably more damage now, but guess what? Only 1 to 2% damage on heavy blows still. Even when I beat that guy to the ground and keep at it.

At the same time 1 of his blows could knock me out entirely, so I got some implant with 90 additional armor, invested heavily in those athletics skills and even put on a fugly helmet, but guess what? I still go down like a fly against a frog.

Doesn't help at all that at the same time my hud is bugged and I can't see my health bar anymore. So much fun.

Ps: this fight heavily reminds me of wrestling - punching air with great effect on the enemy. Like I'm going back and the dude kicks air in front of me - even tho I'm 2m away I'm still getting hit?

Force kick, duh... :think:

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed.

Either a bug, or just poor gaming design. Fix this ASAP - useless side mission with these impossible fights.
Remove the homing. If the sidestep is good, let the opponent miss their combo.

If you have them follow and hit the player regardless of sidestep, they should do WAY less damage, to give a fighting change.
Stamina should not go down so fast (it's a fucking solo I am playing, not some weak desk jockey from Arasaka - but a tough fighter, conditioned throughout their life AND borged up - what, they get winded after a haymaker and a combo, or a few sidesteps?)

Come on. Witcher fistfights were good. Bring that back, instead of what ever the heck this is..

You need several dodges to dodge succesfully. The real method to win these fights is to break their charge with strong punch into head and then following with 1-2 normal hits. So don't dodge, instead attack like i said and then retreat to recuperate your stamina and then again.

You need several dodges to dodge succesfully. The real method to win these fights is to break their charge with strong punch into head and then following with 1-2 normal hits. So don't dodge, instead attack like i said and then retreat to recuperate your stamina and then again.

Doesn't work always. Most of the time, they charge right through the strong attack, and as 2 attacks from them end it for you (because you are somehow weaker), it's a real shit show. Poor gameplay design in an otherwise magnificent game, sadly.

Another issue: player damage seems to be bugged. I was fighting El César and did only like 1 to 2% damage with each heavy blow, so I invested 5 more attribute points into body, got gorilla arms that deal 119-146 damage +49-60 physical damage with 10% bleeding chance and expected to see that dude take considerably more damage now, but guess what? Only 1 to 2% damage on heavy blows still. Even when I beat that guy to the ground and keep at it.

At the same time 1 of his blows could knock me out entirely, so I got some implant with 90 additional armor, invested heavily in those athletics skills and even put on a fugly helmet, but guess what? I still go down like a fly against a frog.

Doesn't help at all that at the same time my hud is bugged and I can't see my health bar anymore. So much fun.

Ps: this fight heavily reminds me of wrestling - punching air with great effect on the enemy. Like I'm going back and the dude kicks air in front of me - even tho I'm 2m away I'm still getting hit?

Force kick, duh... :think:
I came across the same exact problem when attempting the those challenges, being a stealthy character I had almost no points towards body, I figure out the only reliable way to beat each opponent is getting the gorilla arms with a status effect mod and getting the bully mod on your clothes then spam heavy blows since the opponent damage is exaggerated and even with 1000 armor they would just 1 shot me stunning them with crit damage was only way to beat them.

Doesn't work always. Most of the time, they charge right through the strong attack, and as 2 attacks from them end it for you (because you are somehow weaker), it's a real shit show. Poor gameplay design in an otherwise magnificent game, sadly.
You can dodge twice making sure not to lose sight on the opponent or parry their blows, regardless fights a extremely unforgiven so I would agree that fist fights were poorly implemented.

Yeah I noticed that with one of them that did this brutal block breaking kick and I would try to dodge and strafe around behind them and they'd spin around leg out like they were doing a tatsumaki senpukyaku proceeding to knock my ass flat.

All of the melee boxing missions are garbage. I tried to play it strategically but ended up just getting OP in Street Brawler and spamming attacks. It doesn't seem like a bug but just really crappy combat system that ques the enemy actions. You get hit standing 6 feet away and 6 feet to the right of the enemy, almost as if they count your damage when the NPC ques the action while the animations lag by seconds then when it's completed you get the dmg regardless of where you are. Its a really bad system atm.

You need to hit them in the head. It doesn't work other way. If you hit them in the head, it works 100%. I played these matches through with character that had no body/melee skills and it took like 100 strong hits to defeat them. I kinda perfected the skill. It was fun to play second playthrough when i had melee char and one hit took like 15% off :D

Note, this works against the smaller guys who charge and track while hitting, the bigger enemies like the champ and the animal woman, you need to dodge, but they don't track you when you dodge.

I'm not gonna waste 40 minuts to beat 1 guy following a stupid ass mechanic aka stun lock, while also dodging all of his punches because he can 2 hit kill you.

I'll just skip the quest until they fix it, because it just sucks, i'm not playng Dark Souls for a reason, they can't properly balance world Mob to give a proper challenge, but they can do the complete opposite with a single quest line.

Not sayng they should nerf the figt, but at least not dyng from 2 hits would be ok to just try it again.
Kinda curious to see how many actually won those fights legit, and how many used exploit.

You need to hit them in the head. It doesn't work other way. If you hit them in the head, it works 100%. I played these matches through with character that had no body/melee skills and it took like 100 strong hits to defeat them. I kinda perfected the skill. It was fun to play second playthrough when i had melee char and one hit took like 15% off :D

Note, this works against the smaller guys who charge and track while hitting, the bigger enemies like the champ and the animal woman, you need to dodge, but they don't track you when you dodge.

I couldn't go through the military guy who bet his sniper rifle and to beat him I had to push the body perks tree (20 points and melee damage taken reduced, impossible to kock down, melee damages inflicted increase...) and equiped the gorilla arms and then I kicked his *ss.
After that they fell like flies, Rhino was kinda tricky because I had to dodge and run a lot (which I don't really like) but beyond her it was piece a of cake.
For Razor Hughs, I simply used blocking and counter attacks in his abdomen (as vik adviced me to do) and it was the easiest of all fights by far.

The NPC tracking is extremely noticeable in the Razor fight. He will jump up in the air to kick, and when you dodge his body turns on a dime mid air to track your hitbox. It's so broken. I just dropped a katana right before the fight, and picked it up after the fight starts.

If the game is gunna cheese me with shitty fistfight mechanics then he shouldn't have brought his fists to a sword fight;

To be fair, I actually had 15 level specs to use on my save, and built a full-body build using berserk to win the fight normally. Berserk and stamina-giving perks are so broken it's insane, here's a clip with the build used at the beginning, can skip to the end for the full fight, I think I failed once or twice. The haymaker hitbox he throws is so ridiculous as well.. so many janky mechanics in this questline.

2020-12-31_9-50-46.jpg

Last edited:
The NPC tracking is extremely noticeable in the Razor fight. He will jump up in the air to kick, and when you dodge his body turns on a dime mid air to track your hitbox. It's so broken. I just dropped a katana right before the fight, and picked it up after the fight starts.

Normally I don't like to cheese things; but screw this fight, Katana is fair game. :)

[Update: I just bet him on on my second playthrough just last night, first attempt... by acadent and without using a weapon.. go figure.. legendary gorilla arms.. he did get in two hits and the second triggered my shock-burst... and the game calculated his damage before calculating mine.. and I won the fight. I'll take it.]

Last edited:
How the hell am i mean to do these, when he defeats me with about 3-4 hits when i have 315 hp and i barely do any damage to him. Plus blocking does nothing. I tried and Arroyo still did a shit load of damage to me. This game is just a huge joke

How the hell am i mean to do these, when he defeats me with about 3-4 hits when i have 315 hp and i barely do any damage to him. Plus blocking does nothing. I tried and Arroyo still did a shit load of damage to me. This game is just a huge joke
Yes my brother, join us in our lament.
07B89120-B48D-45FB-AF1D-49AF6CD16790.jpeg

The timing of your dodge is important, too early and they will track you. I have successfully side step dodged plenty of punches and it became my technique to beat the fights.

Most regular hits you can block, the heavy hits will drain your stamina and prevent you from blocking following hits (thus getting downed pretty quickly). So block regular hits while backing up and strafing around, watch for the haymaker and dodge. Right after that they will be overextended and open for a heavy attack that will stun them. Follow that up with a triple light attack combo for damage.

I spend a good 3 hours or more fighting the one Animal chick at the start of this chain with no points into body or any cybernetics while being severely under leveled...it was hard, but did it.

In the long run though, better to just get gorilla arms and increase damage done to shorten fights. Also coming at the fights "level appropriate" helps a ton too.

Some tips though, even though I was unable to complete final boxing match due bug. My character wasn't ready for it when I tried final match and I reloaded, did other stuff, got other match but then finale never triggered again.

That said: I found perks causing stagger to be very good investment. Enemy tracking issues has been discussed and I noticed that too. Staggered opponents aren't dealing any damage and while I really couldn't pin down how much of my character potential DPS actually transformed to that much in boxing matches, staggering enemies helped a lot. For me, it was also important not to get too greedy putting in punches when enemies were staggered, but also leave some stamina to dodge.

I believe the champion match is a one time deal; quest is over with either outcome; best to save right before and reload to try again. This is compared to the other matches where one can return again at a later date.

I believe the champion match is a one time deal; quest is over with either outcome; best to save right before and reload to try again. This is compared to the other matches where one can return again at a later date.
It is indeed.

I meant that, I did just that, reloaded earlier save before going to match.

Top Bottom