[Quest Bug] Contract : The Mystery of the Byways Murders

+
[Quest Bug] Contract : The Mystery of the Byways Murders

When I get into the room with the target for this contract (the vampire) it stays blocked near the chest. It does not move, its name is blue as for a NPC.
The quest tells me to find it and kill it, witchers vision allow me to see the red growl it makes. But I can't harm it.

Another minor bug related to this, I found it in 1.04, 1.05 and 1.06 as well. When you talk with the Nilfgardian commander in Oreton, the given objective is checked in green, but as soon as you arrive on Byways it becomes labeled as failed.

View attachment 17510

Attachments

• 1zoey6v.jpg
    1zoey6v.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
1.07 and bug is still there. I took the notice from the board, talked to the commander, found the village and the objective failed. I don't know what happens if I complete the quest this way because my level is too low and simple cannot kill the ghouls, but probably this bug is still alive just as it used to be.

Another minor bug related to this, I found it in 1.04, 1.05 and 1.06 as well. When you talk with the Nilfgardian commander in Oreton, the given objective is checked in green, but as soon as you arrive on Byways it becomes labeled as failed.

did you by any chance go to or near Byways after getting the contract but before talking to the issuer?

@DXMG
No, that's not the case. I even checked the status of the quest before arriving the village and it was checked and green.

As soon as I discovered the gouls, the objective changed to failed/red.

1.07 and bug is still there. I took the notice from the board, talked to the commander, found the village and the objective failed. I don't know what happens if I complete the quest this way because my level is too low and simple cannot kill the ghouls, but probably this bug is still alive just as it used to be.
Nothing happens, I already finished the quest and everything goes as should be, just like that objetctive is marked as failed regardless if you did it or not.

Last edited:
hmm, well OK, I dont know if this relates but its something to think on maybe:

I have had this kind of thing happen with several quests, under the same circumstances, and this experience has taught me a way to "fix" them (or rather, not let them fail to begin with)

I like to go for the witcher gear upgrades as soon as possible, just to know I have em.

Going for a few of them before doing quests in the same area has a tendancy to make one or more quest objectives fail like this...

for example, Here Comes the Groom makes you go to the Siren Cave, which is also where one of the upgrades is. I have had it happen twice that I get to the cave and the "talk to Kevan" part fails because I didnt talk to him before going there.

The thing that is wierd is this - if I reload the game and do it right, that objective will still fail at the end.

BUT, if I shut down the game, restart it, and THEN do the quest right, it will not fail.

I have now tested it with Here comes the Groom, White Lady, Missing Son, and Byways Murders.... all of them act the same - if I fail an objective, and then reload and do it right, it still fails. If I restart the game completely and then reload and do it right, the objectives do not fail.

When I get into the room with the target for this contract (the vampire) it stays blocked near the chest. It does not move, its name is blue as for a NPC.
The quest tells me to find it and kill it, witchers vision allow me to see the red growl it makes. But I can't harm it.

I still have this problem. First, I found Sarasti in one corner of the room and I was unable to attack her. Afte one patch (I think it was 1.07) Sarasti dissapeared and there is no one in the room but the quest it's still open. Anyone has found out how to fix it? Thanks

Last edited:
Im in v.1.60, i checked the tunnels and the beast did not load in and im trapped here

Im in v.1.60, i checked the tunnels and the beast did not load in and im trapped here

Most up to date version should be 1.31. Where are you seeing 1.60?

As for the issue, if reloading doesn't solve it, your best bet is to revert to an earlier save and try again.

Top Bottom