Question about DRM & activating from different pc

+
Question about DRM & activating from different pc

Hi can anyone help me shed some light on this situation. This isn't a drm bashing thread I still have my pre-order and can't wait for May 17th.Anyway my question is will there be a sort of offline activation but still need to go online to activate with the Witcher 2 like some other securom games?Basically what happens is you enter your cdkey/ or some code I think on a computer with internet connection and then the securom software gives you a code to activate it on your computer that hasn't got internet connection. I think I remember this sort of function was available on GTAIV which had securom.Example below of what I am talking abouthttps://support.securom.com/rockstarunlock/GTA_IV/index.php?c=offlinehttps://support.securom.com/PAunlock/?c=1000Now I usually have net connection but I have moved to a new place recently waiting for a new ISP to send in the router which I should have had up and running two weeks ago but it hasn't happened and now May 17th is edging closer and I don't what will happen if i still don't get it. Fyi I am typing from a wireless hotspot with my laptop now. Thanks

Judging from the info we have right now, the answer would be 'no'. However, that's a good question. Perhaps toss it into the 'ask the devs' thread: Here.

I'll give it a go there also. I don't know how to feel about its a bad timing scenario for me hopefully my router comes through before then just in time but thats the exact inconvenience it can have if its a no and I am stuck.

Hm. You could activate the game on one PC, then copy the whole game folder onto a DVD or some pendrive, then copy it onto PC on which you want to play. It might work.

shaggeh said:
Hm. You could activate the game on one PC, then copy the whole game folder onto a DVD or some pendrive, then copy it onto PC on which you want to play. It might work.
I should hope so, because i 'm going to do the exact same thing. But i still don't get it: how this is not piracy?

It's not piracy since you're copying the game only for your own use. And actually, you're allowed to activate one copy of The Witcher 2 on up to five different computers.Sadly, this probably also means you will not be able to run the copy you made - the game will detect it's a different computer and will ask to activate it via internet.

Sadly, this probably also means you will not be able to run the copy you made - the game will detect it's a different computer and will ask to activate it via internet. *facepalm*The game files will be already activated. It will work.

Aver

Forum veteran
shaggeh said:
Sadly, this probably also means you will not be able to run the copy you made - the game will detect it's a different computer and will ask to activate it via internet. *facepalm*The game files will be already activated. It will work.
You know that files are not everything? How about informations in Windows's registry? You would have to take a whole hard drive with you.

shaggeh said:
If that was it then why even bother with such protection? When one activated copy can be spread on torrents like fire?Im sure that it wont work, if it will, all this protections are pointless.

mythdragon said:
[If that was it then why even bother with such protection? When one activated copy can be spread on torrents like fire?Im sure that it wont work, if it will, all this protections are pointless.
It will be tied to that key so it's not that easy...

Moutch2 said:
You'll have to activate the game at McDonald's :D
Anything to make it work even if it means McDonald's then bring it on :p by the way I'm not at McDonald's :p and I hope it doesn't come to that.

Top Bottom