Question about Hairworks

+
Question about Hairworks

Hello,

I would like to know if there is any GPU (no SLI or Crossfire) which is able to maintain stable 60+ FPS 1080p ultra settings with hairworks?

Thanks for any answers in advance!

My GTX Titan X does this most of the time, however there are a good amount of places where the framerate drops a bit.

The GTX 980ti is almost as powerful as the Titan X, and half the price, so you should go with that if you can afford it :)

Thanks for the answer.

Have you done any overclocking? I'm thinking about going with Asus GTX 980 TI STRIX gaming.

Earlyer, there was problem with witcher sences (or generaly looking at Geralts hair in close proximity) even on Titans, is it still there?

Hello,

I would like to know if there is any GPU (no SLI or Crossfire) which is able to maintain stable 60+ FPS 1080p ultra settings with hairworks?

Thanks for any answers in advance!

Depends. Titan X and GTX 980Ti (oc) will provide a solid 60+ fps at 1080p most at the time, but there are instances (or rather areas) in the game where it will inevitably drop below that. Hell, that will even happen without Hairworks (very rarely, but nonetheless). If you want the smoothest gameplay experience I would recommend a GTX 980Ti - much cheaper price than Titan X while as powerful when overclocked - with a G-Synch monitor. After all, those slight drops in framerate are only noticeable if VSynch is enabled.

---------- Updated at 01:04 AM ----------

Earlyer, there was problem with witcher sences (or generaly looking at Geralts hair in close proximity) even on Titans, is it still there?

That's because the default Hairworks preset is x8 AA. The closer the camera gets to Geralt's head, the more demanding the work your GPU has to do. Those fps drops are normal given what's going on on the screen. Thankfully, you now can minimize the tessellation factor in the graphics menu via a slider.

Last edited:
Ah.

How does something like 980 ti, OC +200 mhz or something like that, does handle situations with e.g. 10 wolfs with hairworks with 2x or 4x AA? Seen some videos where it goes down to low 40's or high 30's with hairworks on default (8x AA) preset.

Also does lowering AA on hair degrade quality significantly?

Thanks for answers! Sorry if this question is kind of to specific in a way.

Ah.

How does something like 980 ti, OC +200 mhz or something like that, does handle situations with e.g. 10 wolfs with hairworks with 2x or 4x AA? Seen some videos where it goes down to low 40's or high 30's with hairworks on default (8x AA) preset.

Also does lowering AA on hair degrade quality significantly?

Thanks for answers! Sorry if this question is kind of to specific in a way.

From my experience, there will be slight drops with Hairworks 4x AA* if you happen to run into a pack of wolves or, alternatively, get uncomfortably close to a bear. It has to be said, though, those moments - especially given to the enormous amount of play time you will get out of this game - are few and far between. The truth is, you won't be able to play Witcher 3 at 1080p/60fps on Ultra (+ Hairworks) with a single GPU and NOT have the framerate drop at some point. As I mentioned before, there are certain areas where, depending on the time of day and certain weather conditions (e.g. heavy rain, storm), the game isn't quite able to maintain a steady 60fps even with Hairworks disabled.

But lowering the AA on Hairworks does definitely help with the overall performance while simultaneously being almost unnoticeable to the eye. So, 4x AA is a really good compromise, providing a considerable fps gain with little to no visual degradation.

Again, if you are really sensitive to fps stutter and don't consider playing without a framerate lock (which will result in a slightly higher fps but will lead to really ugly screen tearing), getting a G-Synch monitor is really the best option. The human eye is actually not able of discerning whether a game runs at 58, 59 or 60 frames per second. What we DO notice is the slight stutter when the framerate falls below the monitor refresh rate when Vsynch is enabled - and G-Synch does get rid of that problem by synchronising the display refresh rate to whatever your GPU is putting out, resulting in a smooth gameplay experience whether the framerate is at 56 or 61.

You can, of course, always lower certain graphical settings to improve the performance. Shadow quality, for instance, has a huge impact on the framerate but is hardly noticable from a visual standpoint. Or use SSAO instead of HBAO+ ...
You can take a look at this site if you are interested in the performance effect of certain setting: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/gu...ce-and-tweaking-guide#the-witcher-3-wild-hunt

*my current setting (rest Ultra) on a GTX 980 Ti OC

Last edited:
If you run into a pack of wolves with Hairworks at 8xAA you will get fps drops below 60 even with the beefiest of rigs.

Top Bottom