Question about Mandrake

+
This may be a stupid question but what's the point of Mandrake:

- Neutral, Gold, Provision Cost 8, Organic, Reset a Unit

When we have Spores:

- Neutral, Bronze, Provision cost 4, Organic, Reset the power of a unit

Don't they have the same effect? Am i missing something?

Mandrake resets everything and returns the unit to how it was in the deckbuilder, including any status effects or charges. Spores only resets the strength of the unit.

Holy shit! :O I also just thought it was one of those useless cards that made sense in the past but no longer has any use, like Enraged Ifrit (4 power, deploy: damage an enemy unit by 4) for 10 PROVISION lol.

Its still a shit comparing with the spores 4 provision.

But maybe to deal against a defender or ciri nova...

oh wait, we have a lot of purify units...

yeah...there is no way i will se that card in a trully competitive deck

it's nice on yghern as it takes away the armor I think, but ya place in a competitive deck for 8 provisions

Mandrake is still an over nerfed card, it is a casualty of the decision to remove strengthen and weaken from the game entirely until they reintroduced the veteran mechanic.

It's original ability reset a unit to base power AND gave you a choice to either permanently raise or reduce a unit's strength by 6. I assume that like reset, it would have also ignored armor and shields.

Any unit whose power was set to 0 was banished. The strengthed unit could be consumed/ resurrected from the graveyard.

In short, it was a great neutral card, and those get nerfed to oblivion. Great premium art.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Since Mandrake is so expensive (8prov) for what can often be a 0pt play, its main function is to reset powerful orders. There's quite a few that can be worth it, like Damien, Skellen, Vattier, Syanna, Seltkirk, etc.

Since Mandrake is so expensive (8prov) for what can often be a 0pt play, its main function is to reset powerful orders. There's quite a few that can be worth it, like Damien, Skellen, Vattier, Syanna, Seltkirk, etc.
Aaah, dindt realyze that.

Good tip

Aaah, dindt realyze that.

Good tip
Yeah back when someone already asked what's the Point of Mandrake when spores exist I did a short Double Syanna into Caranthir example with good old Death's Shadow Leader ability, but since it's a 0 point play I would still consider it a pure Meme Card but who knows maybe we get some extremely powerful order Cards in future expansions which makes it worth considering putting Mandrake into the Deck.

Edit:
At some point the Devs changed the longer better explaining Text on all Reset Cards to just Reset, old Mandrake Text was "Restore a unit to its default state (as it would appear in the Deck Builder)." so it's pretty obvious that newer players don't know that Mandrake does something different, they probably should give Mandrake the old text back.

Last edited:

It can also reset that shielded defender you just purified back to being shielded... and a defender. Not fun :(

Hi everyone,
I just noticed that Spores resets the power of a unit, and it's a special organic card with 4 provision cost.
Spores.jpg

Then we have Mandrake that resets a unit (here we don't have "resets the power", just "resets" - they should be described in the same exact way to make things clear), and it's a special organic card with 8 provision cost.

Mandrake.jpg

Why should I use Mandrake with 8 provision when I can have the exact effect with half the provision?

Hi everyone,
I just noticed that Spores resets the power of a unit, and it's a special organic card with 4 provision cost.View attachment 11069612

Then we have Mandrake that resets a unit (here we don't have "resets the power", just "resets" - they should be described in the same exact way to make things clear), and it's a special organic card with 8 provision cost.

View attachment 11069615

Why should I use Mandrake with 8 provision when I can have the exact effect with half the provision?
Mandrake resets the entire card to its initial state meaning if you use it on something like Vattier he can seize another target with his Order. Or if you use it on someone that initially had Resilience they will gain it back, so you can carry the same unit all the way from R1 to R3. It's a pretty interesting card.

Still not sure why they thought it's a bright idea to simplify the Reset text at some point, (Mandrake's old description was Reset: Restore a card to its default state as it would appear in the Deck Builder) because now every new player who looks at the Card has no idea what it actually does or why it's more expensive than spores.

Ok, it's another misunderstanding description.

They should check the cards, it's a pity they are more accurate in the shop than in the cards.

Top Bottom