Question about other Gwent games

+
Question about other Gwent games

Okay, so, I have a question that admittidly is a little murky, but I do wish to ask it.

A while back, before Gwent The Witcher Card Game was announced, I was looking for a way to play the old Gwent online without any hassle. I tried Google and found a good Reddit page... only to find out that the entire thing had been taken down by CD Projekt Red, and that other similar sites for Gwent players had suffered the same fate.

At the time, it seemed rather odd to me, especaily considering CD Projeckt Red's normaly customer friendly base. Now of course, we know that they were working on Gwent, a game I look forwards to supporting.

But heres the thing: I'm sort of a bit worried the main reason these were taken down was because of the fact they were going to gather people who wanted to play Gwent and effectivly steal from this game's base. Basically, that Cd Projeckt Red were taking apart any potential competiton BEFORE it could become such.

Now, a lot of you will say that this is the way companies work. And I do agree. Or I would. But to me this does not make sense. It's clear to me that Gwent The Witcher Card Game and Witcher 3 Gwent, while similar, play rather different what with the different cards. And while one could argue it might hurt their free to play business model, the game is free to play and offers a significant advantage over any such other site, what with full on single player and way more cards. Furthermore, I saw no attempt at making money from any such site. And it confuses me even more since I seem to recall the former postion from CD Projekt Red onfan made sstuff being go nuts. Heck even for this game they's said there is no embargo in place!

Basically, this decision makes no sense to me from their usual standpoint, and I would ike to know the position behind it.

They are probably removing those sites one by one because they don't want to deal with all of them at once as soon as the Gwent: TWCG is released.

First of all we are super flattered that someone would put their hard work in to making Gwent for other people to enjoy. That being said Gwent is our IP and there can only be one. The primary reason for this is that it creates confusion - if people search for Gwent they might find the fan operated version and the official one - they play the fan one and make up their mind based on that.
Also this brings another topic like - what if they display commercials on the site etc? They have server cost etc that they want to cover but there is no way for us to verify that.
For fans and from Fans is cool as a general rule but we cannot let someone monetize our hard work without our consent.
Another point is that legally speaking we have to protect our intellectual property - we are a stock exchange company and there are obligations and rules we need to apply.

I hope this help in understanding our stand on this.

Just ask yourself a question, if you've spent thousands of hours (or more for that matter but that is beside the point) working on a project and then other people on the web use the name of that project to promote your idea, would you be happy with that? Also, their imitation is a poor one that might discourage others from checking out your work once it is finished.

CDPR actions are completely understandable, just put yourself in their shoes.

Top Bottom