Question about retail standard edition

+
Why would anyone buy from retail? Just buy it on gog, physical media is a liability, an empty box is an utterly pointless waste of resources and space, and do you really want GameStop (or whatever other retail middle man you buy from) to skim profits off of CDPR?

It's because the physical goodies (world map, compendium, stickers) only come with a physical copy of the game, not a digital one.

I like having physical items when buying games, which is why I will probably purchase a retail copy of the game.

To my knowledge there are different types of blu ray disc formats with different capacities. Every blu ray optical drive isn't compatible with every disc type. I'm not sure if the optical drives in current consoles can actually read some of the higher capacity disc formats. This would be relevant when looking at the necessary size requirements of the game. You may be able to slap 100GB on a certain disc format but it's not very relevant if the console optical drive can only read 50GB sized discs.
consoles can read bluray discs with up to 50GB (ofc games are compressed in those 50gb). RDR2 was 105GB after decompression, so they used 2 discs. First case, FF7R will be the second case, coming in 2020.

I'd be curious to know how many PC gamers actually have BD optical drives. Building a new PC now and have absolutely no consideration for one.

That aside, just look past the thinly veiled PR talk to see what this really is about, cost.
That's largely why they don't worry about it, not a lot do. they will be mastering the game to be put on blu ray as that is what both PS4 and XBox One use as media but blu ray adoption on PC was very low partly because the constant DRM changes could mean you couldn't play any media on them after a while with out buying expensive software.
I have suggested this to. Half a year ago. But i think they want to make sure we dont sell the game when we are done with it.

It is better for them to sell it a year later with 30% discount than we sell it and they get nothing.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, there is a missing content with an empty optical-disc box. Thus the retail version is an incomplete product.
There is several good reasons for the game to be shipped in a physical medium when purchasing the retail version and arguing that not many people care about optical drives or blurays is not an excuse to depart from a tradition where, especially CDPR has a name for in terms of DRM-free games.

And again, if YOU are someone who prefers digital games anyway, then YOU aren't the target for retail games anyway. And just because YOU don't have an optical drive in your PC, because you prefer digital content whatsoever, then YOU - in my opinion - don't have the right to speak for those who do have optical drives and who do prefer to have a retail game with an optical medium where the game they purchase is backed up.

Why would anyone buy from retail? Just buy it on gog, physical media is a liability, an empty box is an utterly pointless waste of resources and space, and do you really want GameStop (or whatever other retail middle man you buy from) to skim profits off of CDPR?

This argument of yours is kind of selfdestructive.
Almost everything you can buy, e.g. your PC, your displays, your car, the food you buy which is packed in synthetic-sleeve and so on is an utterly pointless waste of resources and space too. If that's what you care about, then you shouldn't own a PC at all.

And those people working at GameStop are human like you and me. They have a job and they also have to earn a living, there is nothing wrong in making a contract with a retailer who sells your game in exchange for a share of the profit.
So what you bascially implying is that these people with their jobs at Gamestop should all get fired because they've no place in society ?

It's absolutely fine if you prefer a digital version, and go buy from gog (I did too), however there are still a lot of people who would like a complete retail version of the game too, whether it's for their collection or just for the purpose to compensate to offline-install the game due to a bad internet connection.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, there is a missing content with an empty optical-disc box. Thus the retail version is an incomplete product.
There is several good reasons for the game to be shipped in a physical medium when purchasing the retail version and arguing that not many people care about optical drives or blurays is not an excuse to depart from a tradition where, especially CDPR has a name for in terms of DRM-free games.

And again, if YOU are someone who prefers digital games anyway, then YOU aren't the target for retail games anyway. And just because YOU don't have an optical drive in your PC, because you prefer digital content whatsoever, then YOU - in my opinion - don't have the right to speak for those who do have optical drives and who do prefer to have a retail game with an optical medium where the game they purchase is backed up.

I am not some one that preferes digital, but i am one of the people that has a blu ray drive in their PC because i expected to be able to get copies of my games on them so we could stop with the multiple DVDs that was happening even in 2012 when i got it. I don't want it not to be on PC Blu ray, i just understand why it is not.

I am not some one that preferes digital, but i am one of the people that has a blu ray drive in their PC because i expected to be able to get copies of my games on them so we could stop with the multiple DVDs that was happening even in 2012 when i got it. I don't want it not to be on PC Blu ray, i just understand why it is not.
the thing is they have to go based of the standard pc build not individual cases. Blueray is far from a standard feature in pcs. with things like steam GoG and epic becoming the standard for pc games fewer and fewer pcs even have an optical drive and the ones that do only have basic dvdr

This argument of yours is kind of selfdestructive.
Almost everything you can buy, e.g. your PC, your displays, your car, the food you buy which is packed in synthetic-sleeve and so on is an utterly pointless waste of resources and space too. If that's what you care about, then you shouldn't own a PC at all.

And those people working at GameStop are human like you and me. They have a job and they also have to earn a living, there is nothing wrong in making a contract with a retailer who sells your game in exchange for a share of the profit.
So what you bascially implying is that these people with their jobs at Gamestop should all get fired because they've no place in society ?

It's absolutely fine if you prefer a digital version, and go buy from gog (I did too), however there are still a lot of people who would like a complete retail version of the game too, whether it's for their collection or just for the purpose to compensate to offline-install the game due to a bad internet connection.
My argument absolutely is not self-destructive, and your examples are insanely ignorant. There isn't a non-physical resource that facilitates my needs for a computer, so no I can't replace that with some cloud service or some such. The case that wraps the components is specifically chosen to facilitate controlled air-flow, reduce noise, & protect against particulates. The body of my car keeps bugs out of my face while driving down the road, is designed to reduce cabin damage in the case of a collision, etc. Most of these things are engineered for some purpose aside from the primitive desire to touch a tangible object, and when they aren't I make an actively mindful attempt to be aware of and eliminate needless packaging & general clutter. So not only is my argument not destructive, it is remarkably easy to be consistent with so long as you don't haphazardly group all physical objects as equally useful/trivial.

Not at all, Gamestop (and similar stores) does serve a purpose, like with the DRM ridden consoles that either require that you purchase digitally from the official store, or use disks from a market with competition. The console disk market also allows for reselling used media which provides a benefit to the consumer and incentives to the store to lower costs/run sales as games begun to be resold back to them. On the otherhand, they do sell PC games, but they do not buy them back from the consumer, additionally many of these games are now just a license to download a purely digital version from an existing source (so not saving time/effort for a consumer with a bad internet connection) while now requiring the additional overhead of shipping, shelf space, etc. Consequently the brick and mortar price changes very slowly, if at all, and will almost never even reach the highly competitive purely digital price let alone drop below it. In the end PC games bought from a store like Gamestop means you will generally spend more, if you buy it at the same price that difference is being paid by CDPR not Gamestop, and unless we are talking edge cases and 10+ year old games the consumer will probably still be downloading the game so no change in value for consumer, reduced value for developer, just so Gamestop can be a middle man, I'm sorry I'm not that altruistic. That said, I don't have a problem with these stores and see where they can be useful. Not seeing value in purchasing PC games from a given store doesn't mean I see no value in buying anything from that store, this is patently absurd.

Top Bottom