Question about retail standard edition

+
Mods, please delete this if it's not the place to ask.
I've just noticed that pre-orders for the retail edition are live in Hungary. On the distributors' sites (1 2 3 4 5 6) it says the box comes with a GoG code but no disks. Can that be confirmed? If I really want the disks, am I better off ordering it internationally?

Every single source so far said that PC gets a GOG Code in the box.

Only consoles get actual discs.

So ordering somewhere else if you want the game on PC will not help you.

Mods, please delete this if it's not the place to ask.
I've just noticed that pre-orders for the retail edition are live in Hungary. On the distributors' sites (1 2 3 4 5 6) it says the box comes with a GoG code but no disks. Can that be confirmed? If I really want the disks, am I better off ordering it internationally?

That is correct -- you get a digital edition for PC, with a code for GOG.
Same is true for the Collector's Edition on PC, the case there will only hold the soundtrack disc, but not the game.

Reason for this is very likely that hardly anyone has a BluRay drive installed in their PCs, and launching the game with Install DVDs would be ludicrous given the amount of storage required.

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
Yes, box with PC edition will contain a GOG code.

Due to the size of the game, it would require an unrealistic number of DVDs. We considered using BluRay discs, but a standard PC config doesn't include a BluRay Drive, so we decided to use the next most convenient solution.

Due to the size of the game, it would require an unrealistic number of DVDs. We considered using BluRay discs, but a standard PC config doesn't include a BluRay Drive, so we decided to use the next most convenient solution.
What size, btw? 100GBs or more? 😏

Few care about quality any more, most happy to stream compression from netflix instead of ripping their bluray movies to mkv.
Thankfully the Fractal Design R6 case comes with an optical bay.

Its a bummer here in Australia with our lousy download speed (im getting the same speed that i got 19 years ago) but i can understand the decision. Way too many dvds required

Thanks a lot for the confirmation!
I'd like to point out that cyberpunk.net still lists "case with game discs" as contents of the box after picking the PC retail version, which is how I got the idea in the first place. Also, contrary to what I wrote in the OP, one of the retailers lists the PC version as containing disks.
Post automatically merged:

im getting the same speed that i got 19 years ago
Now that's just inhumane. Show me a receipt and I'll mail it to you when it comes out, seriously.

Last edited:

it was possible to do it with custom made USB drives ;) but that would cost more then a code. ofc :)
Post automatically merged:

What size, btw? 100GBs or more? 😏

yes something like that. i read somewhere it is between 100 and 120 gig..

Now that's just inhumane. Show me a receipt and I'll mail it to you when it comes out, seriously.

Heh, nice offer... dunno what the other user's connection is like in Australia, but even right smackdab in the middle of a german city, and not a small one, I still only get 10 MBit/s downstream too... and that's on good days, when Vodafail actually works at all.

Downloading Cyberpunk 2077 likely would take me at least a whole day, if not more... but that's all academical either way, likely I won't even be able to afford it at all come launch.

Then you may want to reconsider using BluRay discs again.

A GOG code alone in the retail game isn't the most convenient solution - it has nothing to do with convenience at all. The fact that a retail game is distributed without an optical disc, retoractively undermins the whole purpose of a retail game that is meant for collecting the game in the first place.
Just because there is people who prefer a digital download doesn't make it the "most convenient solution". That would be the case for purchasing the game from digital distribution, but these exact people won't bother with the retail version at all at this point anyway. However, the retail version then again proactively speaks for those, who want a physical copy of the game for their collection too and you're taking away the game disc from them.

The same goes for the collector's edition of the game. You offer an uniquely designed steelbook case of Cyberpunk 2077 which is simply empty without a disc. What's the purpose of that without a Cyberpunk 2077 game disc then? That's quite contra productive, isn't it? And it won't satisfy collector's because they'll miss the physical copy of the game. Thus the Collector's Edition is incomplete.

By the way, I can't speak out of the details that you guys have had in your Meetings at CDPR regarding this issue, but what I can speak of is that Blurays are the future for optical disc distribution not only because of the huge amount of disc space they offer, but also for the long-term data reliability. It already is a standard.

A GOG code alone in the retail game isn't the most convenient solution - it has nothing to do with convenience at all. The fact that a retail game is distributed without an optical disc, retoractively undermins the whole purpose of a retail game that is meant for collecting the game in the first place.
Just because there is people who prefer a digital download doesn't make it the "most convenient solution". That would be the case for purchasing the game from digital distribution, but these exact people won't bother with the retail version at all at this point anyway. However, the retail version then again proactively speaks for those, who want a physical copy of the game for their collection too and you're taking away the game disc from them.

The same goes for the collector's edition of the game. You offer an uniquely designed steelbook case of Cyberpunk 2077 which is simply empty without a disc. What's the purpose of that without a Cyberpunk 2077 game disc then? That's quite contra productive, isn't it? And it won't satisfy collector's because they'll miss the physical copy of the game. Thus the Collector's Edition is incomplete.

By the way, I can't speak out of the details that you guys have had in your Meetings at CDPR regarding this issue, but what I can speak of is that Blurays are the future for optical disc distribution not only because of the huge amount of disc space they offer, but also for the long-term data reliability. It already is a standard.
I'd be curious to know how many PC gamers actually have BD optical drives. Building a new PC now and have absolutely no consideration for one.

That aside, just look past the thinly veiled PR talk to see what this really is about, cost.

I'd be curious to know how many PC gamers actually have BD optical drives. Building a new PC now and have absolutely no consideration for one.

That aside, just look past the thinly veiled PR talk to see what this really is about, cost.

That's largely why they don't worry about it, not a lot do. they will be mastering the game to be put on blu ray as that is what both PS4 and XBox One use as media but blu ray adoption on PC was very low partly because the constant DRM changes could mean you couldn't play any media on them after a while with out buying expensive software.

There's no need for a built-in optical drive. Not that there's no place for optical drives today -- I still enjoy them, and having games on disc, personally -- but you can just buy a cheap-o USB one to serve the same purpose.

...you can just buy a cheap-o USB one to serve the same purpose.

Second. This is a trick I've used in the past, and believe it or not, it actually works pretty well. Read and write times are far from optimal, but the gameplay performance itself is usually unaffected. So if you play a game off of a flash drive, the only real downsides are significantly longer / inconsistent load times. Not too many glitches or anything, in my experience.

Why would anyone buy from retail? Just buy it on gog, physical media is a liability, an empty box is an utterly pointless waste of resources and space, and do you really want GameStop (or whatever other retail middle man you buy from) to skim profits off of CDPR?

Why would anyone buy from retail? Just buy it on gog, physical media is a liability, an empty box is an utterly pointless waste of resources and space, and do you really want GameStop (or whatever other retail middle man you buy from) to skim profits off of CDPR?

Because there are many people out there who love the novelty of owning a physical collectible. Boxes on shelves also increase the visibility of the product and create more sales.

That being said, I'm mostly with you. I imagine with time we'll see physical copies pretty much vanish except for collector's editions. (For myself, I try to keep the "stuff" I own to a minimum. I've moved around way too much.)

I haven't had a dedicated optical drive of any form in my PC for a while now. I keep an external optical drive around for cases where I'd absolutely need to use an optical disc. Even then it may not be necessary to keep the disc around. Honestly, I started looking at optical drives in the same vein as floppy drives.

The only rationale I can think of is if the person in question had lackluster internet service. Big downloads are a problem in that case. Physical media is an elegant solution.

Outside of that case, I'd look at it the same way Sigil described above. Having a "physical" copy of the game media itself doesn't really... change anything. Beyond having a physical object representative of it. Some people may want that, for whatever reason.

Hope you have one hell of a download server farm and a few T5 lines reserved for launch!

This is why I suggest, USB flash drive as a option. Here in the US you can buy a
Micro Center 128GB SuperSpeed USB 3.1 (Gen 1) Flash Drive
for $11.99 USD. I am sure buying in bulk you could get these much cheaper. I for one would be willing to pay another $10 to not have to download for a day.

Top Bottom