Question about "Rose of Remembrance" in W3 and Triss Conversation

+
Question about "Rose of Remembrance" in W3 and Triss Conversation

During some playthroughs I get the conversation option where Geralt can ask Triss about the Rose of Remembrance, and in others it's missing and I always make sure to pick up the Rose of Remembrance at her house in Novigrad before talking to her...does anyone know exactly what triggers that conversation option to become available, or do you know what "addfact" console command can be used to ensure it's available?

I know in some playthroughs I've imported a save and in others I've "simulated" a save...I don't remember which ones netted which results though, so just figured I'd ask here and see if anybody knows?

Thanks very much in advance!

I have honestly ignored Triss in all my playthroughs, since I always stay with Yennefer to try and stick to the books a little. Plus, Triss had her chance in TW2, so I keep going after everyone but her. Now I have a reason to start a brand new game!

Razrback16;n10783721 said:
During some playthroughs I get the conversation option where Geralt can ask Triss about the Rose of Remembrance, and in others it's missing and I always make sure to pick up the Rose of Remembrance at her house in Novigrad before talking to her...does anyone know exactly what triggers that conversation option to become available, or do you know what "addfact" console command can be used to ensure it's available?

I know in some playthroughs I've imported a save and in others I've "simulated" a save...I don't remember which ones netted which results though, so just figured I'd ask here and see if anybody knows?

Thanks very much in advance!

Mmhh... I always use an imported save game from TW2. Most time a playhtrough where I "ignored" Triss in TW1 and TW2 (so no need for the romance plot in TW2 to make the dialog happen). Then I take the rose in TW3 and I can use the dialog option; why Triss have the rose.
So, I cannot say why you don't have the option for this dialog. Maybe you need an imported not simulated save game, but I'm not sure.

Deemonef;n10788131 said:
Mmhh... I always use an imported save game from TW2. Most time a playhtrough where I "ignored" Triss in TW1 and TW2 (so no need for the romance plot in TW2 to make the dialog happen). Then I take the rose in TW3 and I can use the dialog option; why Triss have the rose.
So, I cannot say why you don't have the option for this dialog. Maybe you need an imported not simulated save game, but I'm not sure.

Appreciate the response anyway, thx.

Razrback16;n10783721 said:

The imported save does not make a difference, the conversation option is available in her default dialogue if you have the rose in your inventory and did not talk about it yet. So, the option should appear before starting A Matter of Life and Death, and at some points in the third act. Maybe there are more opportunities, but those are the ones I am sure about. You can also enable or disable the default dialogue with the commands addfact(triss_dd_start) and addfact(triss_dd_stop).

I've had it happen on every playthrough using the default world state. I think that having the "strange figurines" in your inventory might conflict with it. And / or advancing too far in Triss' personal questline before arriving at the Main Quest might bork it. I sort of remember it being missing on one of my playthroughs, but I can't remember the details.

Thanks guys for responding - sv, I'm going note that addfact item down in case I need it, thanks for sharing
Sigil - I'd almost bet money that you're correct. I'll bet it's something to do with the figurines because when I hit Novigrad I usually pick up the figurine from the shop pretty quickly. It's very possible that has something to do with it, thanks!

Is this the question where Geralt asks Triss why she kept the rose and she responds that she kept it mostly as a warning or there is something more that I missed?

Dan_Florian_Eremia;n10829771 said:
Is this the question where Geralt asks Triss why she kept the rose and she responds that she kept it mostly as a warning or there is something more that I missed?

Yes, pretty sure it's something along the lines of what you mentioned there. I really think it has to do with picking up the figurine too early from the shop. I'm going to test that on my next playthrough.

Dan_Florian_Eremia;n10829771 said:

That's the one. Nice touch, too!

Razrback16;n10845101 said:
Yes, pretty sure it's something along the lines of what you mentioned there. I really think it has to do with picking up the figurine too early from the shop. I'm going to test that on my next playthrough.

Yeah, thinking back, I believe the time I didn't get the bit about the rose was when I already had one of the statuettes in my inventory and picked that option. Hard to keep track of stuff over multiple playthroughs...:p

I usually go see her at her house right away when getting to novigrad, pick up the rose, go see her with the king of beggars, then after we've cleared the warehouse of rats I usually go see her pretty quickly in the bits. I've always had that optional dialogue about the rose in all my playthroughs.

Ya, just a reply back on this - sigil was absolutely right. My last playthrough the conversation popped up as long as I talked to her about it BEFORE picking up any of the figurines. Thanks all!

The imported save does not make a difference, the conversation option is available in her default dialogue if you have the rose in your inventory and did not talk about it yet. So, the option should appear before starting A Matter of Life and Death, and at some points in the third act. Maybe there are more opportunities, but those are the ones I am sure about. You can also enable or disable the default dialogue with the commands addfact(triss_dd_start) and addfact(triss_dd_stop).
my friend, can you absolutely and definitevely confirm you can have another chance for the "rose of remebrence" dialogue with triss in act 3? i ve missed the point of giving it to her in Novigrad (before a matter of life and death) and i v moved way too much forward in my absolute 100% run to return to an earlier save point just for this.
please confirm if you see, i know its been a while since you wrote the comment.
Post automatically merged:

also guys, i can confirm at least, the figurines play no role in "rose of remembrance" dialogue appearing or not. its the start of the quest "a matter of life and death" that stops that option. this quest is automatically added in journal (starts) after finishing count reuven's treasure quest, SPOILERS START, which means the part with triss and witch hunters headquarters shenanigans SPOILERS END, after all this, triss won't have dialogue option (in novigrad at least) about the rose. I m seriously hoping she ll have one afterwards, in different acts, or expansions. else i m stuck with the rose (which is quite romantic actually.

Last edited:
also guys, i can confirm at least, the figurines play no role in "rose of remembrance" dialogue appearing or not. its the start of the quest "a matter of life and death" that stops that option.

My experience was exactly the opposite of what you describe. 2 playthroughs ago, I picked up the jade figurine before talking to Triss at her house in Novigrad and did not have the Rose of Remembrance dialogue option. This last playthrough I made sure to not pickup the figurine before the dialogue and that preserved said dialogue option. In both cases, the "A Matter of Life and Death" quest had not been initiated and therefore had no impact.

my friend, can you absolutely and definitevely confirm you can have another chance for the "rose of remebrence" dialogue with triss in act 3? i ve missed the point of giving it to her in Novigrad (before a matter of life and death) and i v moved way too much forward in my absolute 100% run to return to an earlier save point just for this.

I cannot check it in game right now, but as far as I can see, the dialogue option should be available at some points if you have the rose and did not talk about it yet. In the third act, you can do so in Novigrad after Blindingly Obvious in the inn, and in Battle Preparations on the boat.

I cannot check it in game right now, but as far as I can see, the dialogue option should be available at some points if you have the rose and did not talk about it yet. In the third act, you can do so in Novigrad after Blindingly Obvious in the inn, and in Battle Preparations on the boat.
this is good enough for me. thank you for answering me, and also so specifically. may freya guide you. cheers

My experience was exactly the opposite of what you describe. 2 playthroughs ago, I picked up the jade figurine before talking to Triss at her house in Novigrad and did not have the Rose of Remembrance dialogue option. This last playthrough I made sure to not pickup the figurine before the dialogue and that preserved said dialogue option. In both cases, the "A Matter of Life and Death" quest had not been initiated and therefore had no impact.
i guess everyone should be careful with triss's interactions in novigrad. the scripts are weird

this is good enough for me. thank you for answering me, and also so specifically. may freya guide you. cheers

i guess everyone should be careful with triss's interactions in novigrad. the scripts are weird

It's just the nature of such complex, non-linear interactions. The game cannot account for all possible combinations of actions leading up to the point at which the player may (or may not) choose to interact with Triss about the rose. If the player triggers a quest which must exclude the rose dialogue in order to function, then it will be excluded. I don't believe it has anything to do with any specific quest, it has to do with the number of simultaneous scripts that can be active for a given instance of an actor. I would guess it's a similar situation to the bug that can very often be encountered with the smith in Kaer Trolde. (Whereas that one winds up creating sublime wonkiness, it looks like Triss simply removes the dialogue about the rose to avoid the conflict.)

If the dialogue is important to players, then the best bet is to head to meet with Triss at the first opportunity after searching her old place and finding the rose.

i can confirm, so far, the option to talk about the rose with triss after the quest "blindlingly obvious" (act 3) is NOT available. the other "triss item" that provides dialogue is, as was expected (SPOILER the earring SPOILER).
i ll report about skellige soon and final main quests soon

can now confirm triss dialogue is still unavailable during battle preparations quest on skellige.
everyone, go talk about the rose with triss BEFORE starting a matter of life n death in novigrad (remember, it auto starts after sigi reuven's treasure quest, the one with the witch hunter hq incident :p)

Last edited:
Top Bottom